• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Manufacturing Costs Reduced By 70%

tass0

Banned
from these guys

During a conference call for overseas investors following Sony's Q1 09 financials, Nobuyuki Oneda Sony Corp's CEO and Executive Vice President has revealed that manufacturing costs of the PlayStation3 have dropped by 70%.

“The cost reduction since we introduced the PS3 is very substantial and this is on schedule,” Oneda-san replied when asked about manufacturing costs. “We don't disclose how much of the PS3, specifically the cost deduction was achieved during the past two years. But that is on schedule.”

“About 70%, roughly speaking,” Oneda-san added when pressed further on the matter.

Although a precise manufacturing cost isn't known, it's widely believed that the PlayStation3 originally cost Sony approximately $800 (£485) per unit. In January 2008 reports surfaced that the manufacturing costs had been reduced by 50% to approximately $400 (£243). Although Sony wouldn't elaborate on exact figures, the 70% decrease suggests that costs have come down to around $240 (£146) per unit.

The 80GB PlayStation 3 currently retails for £299.99, $399.99 (£243), and 39,980 yen (£254) in the UK, US, and Japan respectively, which suggests Sony has room to make the widely rumoured $100 price cut.

Interesting.

HUELEN10

9zyuyw.jpg

AppleBlade

Can't wait to buy my 2nd PS3. The crazy thing is that I don't even have a 360 but I'd still rather have another PS3 for my study/game room.

AppleBlade

lorddarkflare said:
Really? Really?
Is it so hard to believe. I have like 50 PS3 games, many of which I haven't gotten to play yet. I'd love to have another PS3 in my Study so I can play some of those unfinished games while the wife is watching TV in the living room.

I hope this turns out to be true. Of course, the assumption being that these cost reductions will be passed on to the consumer by way of a price drop, and in turn resulting in a larger userbase, etc. etc.

I don't care if it benefits Sony, I want this to benefit gamers. If Sony can be more competetive, it can only be good for everyone involved. Even gamers loyal to the competition.

And it'll be about damn time.

It would probably cause a sales spike for 2 months, and then sales would go back down to sub-360 levels.

The number of people I know who are crazy for a PS3 just isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. People have already switched camps or lost hype/interest. The general concensus around me also seems to be that the PS3 lineup is rather dull compared to PS2 at this stage of its life. I have a feeling a price cut would change nothing in the medium-long run.

YEAR OF PS3 CONFIRMED

SCREW THAT, MAKE THAT DECADE OF PS3 CONFIRMED

$000.00 PS3 + SECRET PS3 GAME + SUPER DUPER SECRET PS3 + FREE HOOKER + DELICIOUS CHEESE SANDWICH WILL CRUSH 360 LIKE FAT MAN ON POORLY BUILT CHAIR

TREY FOR LIFE! AND MY SON'S LIFE! AND HIS DAUGHTER'S LIFE!

droppriceplzkthxbye

Although knowing Sony, they'll likely pull a Go on us again...

noah111

Still Alive
Damn that was fast, 2nd damn post a minute after OP. :lol

Nice to hear, price cuts and slim incoming, still don't believe; suck it! :D

bigswords

MrVargas said:
Can't wait to buy my 2nd same branded console. The crazy thing is that I don't even have the superior competitor's console but I'd still rather have another same branded console for my study/game room, so that I can be a douche fanboy.

Fixed

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MrVargas said:
Is it so hard to believe. I have like 50 PS3 games, many of which I haven't gotten to play yet. I'd love to have another PS3 in my Study so I can play some of those unfinished games while the wife is watching TV in the living room.

It's not hard to believe at all. They're mental.

I'm looking forward to picking up a slim as well and hopefully we get PS2 BC back with it.

bigswords said:

Wow, is that seriously what you got out of his post? Because I'd say that says a lot more about you than anything.

HUELEN10

I sold my triple because it was loud as a fucking train, so I can't wait for the awesomeness that will be the slim! I want to play Valkyria Chronicles bad.
:(

MrVargas said:

Frankly, it is a little hard to believe. "Buy a second console of the same type for a different room in the same house, or pay less for a different console and open up more choice for games?"

Anyone who can afford 2 of the same frikkin console should have enough money to spend a couple of hundred on one of the other machines!

Why does everyone like the slim PS3? Am I the only person that thinks it's much uglier than the original?

I've been contemplating getting another PS3 for some time, I would have gotten an LE Gun Metal or imported a white one if only either had some BC.

If the price is right I might just bite. I don't know though... Still contemplating, haha.

Egmont

Neo Member
So, when Howard Stringer very recently said, "I lose money on every Playstation I make, how's that for logic?" while rather needlessly arrogantly rejecting all the requests that he lower the price on the PS3, he was essentially lying out his ass?

Good on ya.

HUELEN10

Poimandres said:
Frankly, it is a little hard to believe. "Buy a second console of the same type for a different room in the same house, or pay less for a different console and open up more choice for games?"

Anyone who can afford 2 of the same frikkin console should have enough money to spend a couple of hundred on one of the other machines!
Why do it if you don't want to? I mean years ago I could have easily gotten a PSP, but was much happier with 5 GBAs and 3 DSes. It is all about what you want!

MrVargas said:

No i was talking about the unimaginable level of fanboyism coming from that post. It was truly astounding.

Awntawn

MrVargas said:
Just get a second set of cables 3; TV occupied? Pull 2 cables from the back, carry to other room, plug 2 cables into back D; It's not that heavy ;/

bigswords

luka said:
It's not hard to believe at all. They're mental.

I'm looking forward to picking up a slim as well and hopefully we get PS2 BC back with it.

Wow, is that seriously what you got out of his post? Because I'd say that says a lot more about you than anything.

You lucky punk? Do your worst.

JoJo13

Banned
tahrikmili said:
It would probably cause a sales spike for 2 months, and then sales would go back down to sub-360 levels.

The number of people I know who are crazy for a PS3 just isn't the same as it was 2 years ago. People have already switched camps or lost hype/interest. The general concensus around me also seems to be that the PS3 lineup is rather dull compared to PS2 at this stage of its life. I have a feeling a price cut would change nothing in the medium-long run.

My anecdotal evidence is that I know tons of people that want a PS3 once it drops the price and that most of the people I game with on the PS3 think it has a way better library of titles than the PS2 had, relative to their introductions. The only exception to that would be those that are huge JRPG fans.

A price cut LAST year allowed the 360 to have decent YoY gains (or, at worst, holding steady) this year...IN THIS ECONOMY.

So a price cut won't just be a 2 month blip. It'll be a substantial momentum shifter that will last well into next year, keeping the PS3 either even with the 360 or slightly ahead for the holiday season in NA -- selling significantly higher than it world wide-- and then thereafter the PS3 should keep ahead of the 360 next year until Natal releases (which may or may not be a game changer, we'll see).

zoku88

Egmont said:
So, when Howard Stringer very recently said, "I lose money on every Playstation I make, how's that for logic?" while rather needlessly arrogantly rejecting all the requests that he lower the price on the PS3, he was essentially lying out his ass?

Good on ya.
Or the PS3 costs more to manufacture than the analysts think.

GavinGT

Banned
luka said:

I'd say he was spot on in calling out the bullshit in the post he quoted.

Ok, if this means PS3 slim, it got me thinking...if I buy a slim but keep the HD from my phat, will it affect trophy data at all? I mean, can I still get trophies on the save files?

knitoe

JoJo13 said:
My anecdotal evidence is that I know tons of people that want a PS3 once it drops the price and that most of the people I game with on the PS3 think it has a way better library of titles than the PS2 had, relative to their introductions. The only exception to that would be those that are huge JRPG fans.

A price cut LAST year allowed the 360 to have decent YoY gains (or, at worst, holding steady) this year...IN THIS ECONOMY.

So a price cut won't just be a 2 month blip. It'll be a substantial momentum shifter that will last well into next year, keeping the PS3 either even with the 360 or slightly ahead for the holiday season, and then thereafter the PS3 should keep ahead of the 360 next year until Natal releases (which may or may not be a game changer, we'll see).
What's to stop Microsoft from dropping the X360 too and keeping their momentum over PS3? Microsoft doesn't do cost cutting?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Ok, if this means PS3 slim, it got me thinking...if I buy a slim but keep the HD from my phat, will it affect trophy data at all? I mean, can I still get trophies on the save files?

Trophy data is saved online.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lorddarkflare said:
No i was talking about the unimaginable level of fanboyism coming from that post. It was truly astounding.

I have two 360s, for the same reason, but I move the HDD between them and I got a PS3 in between. So I can sort of see it but whatevs. Some people have two Pontiac Grand Prixs. Some people just really like stuff.

Top Bottom