• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #34 - "The Silver Lining"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "The Silver Lining"

Word Limit: 1800

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 8/12 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 8/13, and goes until Saturday, 8/15 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Opposite Sex Protagonist (thanks hey_monkey!)
If you're a dude, write a female protagonist. And vice versa. The challenge: keeping in mind the differences between men and women without falling into stereotypes. For an extra challenge, also make your protagonist very different in age from you.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

The Entries:

RurouniZel - "At least there's food"
Ceekus - "Graceland"
Irish - "Babysitting"
hey_monkey - "Containment"
Kimosabae - No title
Timedog - "New Desert Blues" (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3) (Part 4) (Part 5) (End)
Aaron - "The Blacks and Greys"
ronito - "Relief Society"
Ward - "Ready Gunners, Load ‘em Gunners"
ZephyrFate - "Tintinnabulation"
crowphoenix - "Veggie Thieves"
DumbNameD - "Just Another Chrome Killbot"
Belfast - "Sacred Ground"
Scribble - "Drawing the Silver Line"
Cyan - "Trap"
Yeef - "Adjustment"

Scribble

Yep. The description sub-challenge was a success, too.

Interesting challenge, but A. Will there be only one male protagonist? and B. The immediate idea I had for this can't be used because I just wrote a story about polka dots!

Cyan

Banned
Scribble said:
Interesting challenge, but A. Will there be only one male protagonist?
Very likely, but then we usually have mostly male protagonists, so it'll be something different. :)

Scribble

Cyan said:
Very likely, but then we usually have mostly male protagonists, so it'll be something different. :)

It's ladies night, and I'm feeling right.

And hey monkey: I'm definitely up for it..

Irish

This one should be pretty interesting. I plan on taking all the criticisms of my previous story to heart and really making this one stand out.

I'm pretty sure this story fits my currect state of mind like a glove. I'll probably start writing soon, seeing as it has been almost a month since I last wrote. Ugh.

Timedog said:
It's hard out here for a pimp.
Good to see you back.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Yeah, time flies.

I like this idea, I'll try to get one in. Feel kinda bad for not submitting or participating really; family/school stuff is pretty constricting.

Yeef

I was sort of surprised that no one went with the homonym for the last one (for example, redeeming a lottery ticket). I'm tempted to play around with this one, but I don't know if that's such a good idea. Either way the secondary objective is a great one. Should be interesting. :]

Cyan

Banned
Timedog said:
Mine's about 1/3 done. Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow if I don't get lazy.
Nice! Not even a glimmer of an idea here yet. :lol

Yeef said:
I was sort of surprised that no one went with the homonym for the last one (for example, redeeming a lottery ticket).
That's actually how my idea started out for the last one--I was going to do a humorous post-apocalyptic thing where the MC ends up redeeming a "get out of apocalypse free" card at the end.

...changed my mind. :p

Irish said:
This one should be pretty interesting. I plan on taking all the criticisms of my previous story to heart and really making this one stand out.
Eggsellent.

Parham

Banned
For the past half hour or so, I've been attempting to put my idea into text. And suffice it to say, I still need a lot of practice. :lol

Scribble

crowphoenix said:
I'm pretty sure this story fits my currect state of mind like a glove. I'll probably start writing soon, seeing as it has been almost a month since I last wrote. Ugh.

Try not to slip into the habit that I slipped into =X

Scribble said:
Try not to slip into the habit that I slipped into =X
Hopefully, I won't. I've already done a three year stint of writer's block and the assorted woes and angst that came with it. I don't really want to go back.

As a result, I'll be expecting an entry from you again this time. :D

azentium said:
For the past half hour or so, I've been attempting to put my idea into text. And suffice it to say, I still need a lot of practice. :lol
I don't think that's uncommon. Hell, I stopped one of my first major pieces because I could figure out how to write a scene. I still don't think I could.

ronito

Surprisingly I gots an idea, and it's one of my better ones to boot. However, I do think that if you're not a Mormon it might lack the emotional punch a Mormon would have to it. But, then if a Mormon reads it, I could get in trouble....ah to hell with it, you gotta trust yourself.

Irish

I almost feel like the idea I have is a little too cliche'd, especially with the addition of the secondary objective. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to think of something else. If not, I could always make it read well.

Cyan

Banned
azentium said:
Well, that's exactly what these challenges are for. So... you're in the right place!

Irish said:
I almost feel like the idea I have is a little too cliche'd, especially with the addition of the secondary objective. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to think of something else. If not, I could always make it read well.
It happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Irish said:
My old writing prof used to tell us that it's not what you write, but how you write it.

Cyan

Banned
Hey monkey! (sorry, can't help it)

I was doing some market research (heh), and stumbled on this story which reminded me a lot of your last one. http://www.brainharvestmag.com/2009/07/revision/. Anyway, just thought you might find that interesting.

For other challenge writers, you might find that site interesting as well. They publish flash fiction of up to 750 words, and most of what they've put out has been quite good. Great examples of how to fit a lot of impact into a small number of words.

I just submitted something to them last Friday. We'll see. :)

I love Brain Harvest! I wish I had stuff to send them. Thanks for the link, Cyan. That story IS similar, but much cooler, I think.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At least there's food
Word cound: 865

What do a bulldozer, a giraffe, and a street lamp all have in common?

I don’t know actually. I’ve just always wanted to start a story with the phrase “What do a bulldozer, a giraffe, and a lamp all have in common?” It gets attention, you see.

Anyhow, the giraffe in question was wondering what all of those loud noises were. They were all coming from below (something quite natural for a giraffe mind you), but they were really becoming bothersome. “Stop making those infernal noises,” he thought. Actually, I’m not sure what it thought; giraffes don’t speak English after all. Well, whatever it was he thought in Giraffanese, I’d imagine that’s about as close an English translation as you could get.

The only thing the giraffe could ascertain from his surroundings was that he was much further away from home than he had imagined. There were no trees in sight, and at a giraffe’s height, it could see pretty damn far. There were large, flat mountains all around him, the air was difficult to breathe, and there was no color unless he chose to look down. Surrounded on all sides by little slick rocks with red and blue lights circling above them, he lowered his head slightly under the large light tree that was impeding his direct path.

Lots of those little two legged creatures were standing around, making noises every time the giraffe did something. The giraffe had seen many of these things before; he found them most amusing, but he also thought they were rather mean. That’s why he ran away from them, despite their offerings of food and wash. “But I had no idea getting home would be so tiresome,” he thought, as he clicked his heel on the ground. What, you want to know “which” of those four he clicked? Does it really matter to you that much? Fine, front right.

No no, not your front, the giraffe’s front. Can I continue, please?

He was tired of standing in one spot, which he had been doing for the last ten minutes or so, so he lifted his front right leg (there, happy?) and heard the people grow silent as he placed his hoof on top of one of the shining rocks. He nearly tripped when his foot actually pushed the rock down. “What a weak rock,” he thought. The two legged creatures gasped, and the ones in the front started to scatter away like hyenas.

Some of the two legged creatures started making loud noises of their own, and most of them were wearing black. Some of them had black things covering their head too. One of them held both hands forward, holding a small object that gave the giraffe a bad vibe, but another person ran over and lowered his arms. That made the giraffe feel better. Then, a larger box-like rock with wheels appeared that the giraffe instantly recognized; it had brought him to that enclosed space he hated so much.

“I’m not getting on that again!” he thought in perfect Giraffanese, and he made his way over the shining rocks. A small patch of land lay in front of him, and he took off as fast as his long but not-so-flexable legs would carry him. The box-rock pursued, but seemed to be following him intentionally, not catching up. The giraffe didn’t like that. The two legged ones scatter and made all sorts of high pitched noises that were soon drowned out by a larger, repetitive noise from above. The largest beetle he’d ever seen was flying slightly in front of him, and was as slick as the shiny rocks had been. Its wings looked rather odd for a beetle though; they were on top instead of to its side. The giraffe kept running, but with each gallop became more aware that he would not escape the beetle or the box. He drew further and further away, and then a large pattern fell from the beetle and was headed directly toward him. The giraffe stopped; it was all over. The large spider web fell on his head and covered most of his body. He couldn’t run anymore; if he did he’d trip and fall onto the long sheet rock below. It looked painful. He looked up at the beetle as it disappeared into the horizon, and could feel the box approach.

Weary, he followed the pushing of the two legged ones and found himself back in the box, his neck stretched outside of it as they returned to his cage. The drive took forever, and the giraffe grew more and more distraught. When they arrived, they began pulling him by the neck violently toward his place. You don’t have to be so rough, you know? He’s delicate in the neck! As he stepped into the place he had run from, everything grew quiet around him. He looked at the rock in the corner and sighed. Wait, can giraffes sigh? Well, whatever it is that giraffes do, he did. As he lowered his head in grief, he saw a small bowl with feed. It looked new.

“Well, at least I won’t go hungry,” he thought, and took a bite.

Cyan

Banned
And we've already got our first subversion of the theme!

So Rur... was this after her husband dumped a glass of milk all over her? :p

Cyan

Banned
hey_monkey said:
All of my ideas are either really silly or may also be subversions of the theme.
Nothing wrong with a little theme subversion. Or silliness, for that matter.

It would be a wee bit hypocritical for me to suggest otherwise.

Actually, I haven't done something silly in kind of a while. Hmm. Something to think about. Hehe.

RurouniZel

Cyan said:
And we've already got our first subversion of the theme!

So Rur... was this after her husband dumped a glass of milk all over her? :p

Nah, that story would have been funny. :p

Ceekus

Graceland
(1796 words)

Martha, I don’t deserve kids like these.

I didn’t use to hear much from them. Karen called the most, usually when I was asleep with the fan on. When I’d check the machine, I’d hear her run-ons from 2 a.m. the night before and know from the first word that she was dialing drunk.

Either Nate, the truck driver, was back on the bottle, or Jeff, the pawnbroker, had walked out again. She had a strange way of leaving messages: “Hi, Momma, how is the Tennessee winter treating you, and I hope you’ve been staying busy. I just love the snow on the ground, makes me think of Christmastime with you and Daddy.” Then she'd backed into what she was really after, “So, uh, Nate needs to borrow a few hundred to get him past the end of the month, you think you could wire it to us this week?” Then, “OK,” whispered, not meant for me to hear. A couple of deep breaths, and, “Love ya, Momma. I’ll come by to see you and Chuckie-poo Memorial Day!

She didn’t come that Memorial Day. Karen never came to visit. None of the kids did except for times like when Kevin left his drum kit in the garage or Randall wanted his model World War II fighter collection for his mantle. Then it was “Hey, Momma, you’re looking good…Naw, sorry, can’t stay, Tammy’s making chili con carne tonight. I’ll call.”

But, like I said, they didn’t call much.

A few months ago, Chuckie choked on a neighbor’s pacifier he had found on the sidewalk. I buried him in the backyard. I was upset, crying and listening to my Elvis sing "Old Shep" on repeat all day, so I had called up all the kids. Karen was the only one to answer, and all she said was, “See, Momma, dogs are stupid like that. You should get rabbits.” Randall called me back a few days later, and mentioned about five minutes in that he had forgotten if Chuckie was a beagle or a boxer. When Kevin finally called, all he wanted to know if it would be all right if he dug up the body to take pictures of Chuckie decomposing.

That’s all changed since the chemo began. Randall, Karen, and Kevin are all around a lot more. Turns out no one wants to be the odd one out who wasn’t there when Momma passed on. That’s Pratt pride for you.

Randall came back first. He brought his wife, Tammy, in that rusted red Bronco. They brought their birds, too, two parakeets named Tandall and Ranny. When I asked where Duann and Skylar were, though, they explained that they left them at the river with some friends. Said they would cause too much fuss for me at this fragile time. “They got their Sonic and their Dora the Explorer DVDs, they’re gonna be fine.”

Martha, those poor kids are just 10 and 8 years old. I can’t imagine what convinced Randall it was a good idea to leave them like somebody else’s garbage on the neighbor’s lawn. But Randall and Tammy are right, hasn’t been no fuss since they’ve come back. In fact, the house has been real quiet since Tammy started dragging Randy to Tunica and playing the craps tables ‘till midnight. The front door creaking open wakes me up, and I hear them whispering and giggling to his bedroom, and I remember her telling me it’s just been too hard to spend the whole day surrounded by sickness.

“Tell me about it,” I whisper at their shadows slinking beneath my bedroom door.

You know, Tammy’s got in my boy’s head. Whenever I try to try to talk to Randy now, we end up yelling. He gets real red in his face and sounds out his words in a deep voice he’s been practicing: “No, Momma, I’m not your whipping boy just ‘cause Pa left you,” he says. “Let me lead my life.” He never talked that way to me before Tammy.

I’m too tired to argue with him, and that woman of his has got him wrapped around her finger. She’s a sponge. And I know why they didn’t bring the kids—he’s ashamed for me to see them. They’re grabby and loud—spitting images of the momma. Truth be told, I’d rather not see them, see what the Pratt name has become. But I don’t think we should be leaving my grandkids on the curb like somebody else’s trash. This family cleans up our messes.

Now, they’re borrowing money every week or so. I tell them they’re going to settle my estate at the craps table if they keep this up, but they don’t seem to mind. And Karen and Kevin don’t seem to be paying them any attention, either. So, I figure, hell, it’s going to them or the creditors anyway, so why not?

Karen finally came back just last week to visit. She brought me some Get Well Bunnies in two cages. Martha, they were live rabbits. I told her I didn’t want any rabbits. But when I was sleeping—surprise—she opens the cages and leaves them in my room with a little Get Well card on my nightstand.

You know what four live rabbits can do to a bedroom in a couple of hours? When I woke up, my bedspread was covered in little brown pellets. They tried nibbling on just about everything. When I saw what they did, oh my goodness, Martha, I thought it was having one of those hallucinations Dr. Parker warned me about. I finally got those little devils back in their cages, but it took me the rest of the day to clean it all up. The rabbits, they just watched me the whole time from their little cages, like they knew something that I didn’t, those beady eyes peering into my soul.

And poor Kevin…I don’t even know where to begin. Ever since he got that job reviewing horror movies, he keeps asking to see my bedpan and takes notes as the nurse gives me another shot of God knows what. He wants to get into prosthetics, make special effects in Hollywood. What does Hollywood have that Clarksville doesn’t, besides cocaine and whores, I tell him. But none of them listens to me anymore.

Kevin spent all day yesterday sitting by my side making little sketches of me and my “beautiful decomposition.” He tells me I’m a work of art. He touches my liver spots and he collects tufts of my hair. He says he’s got an idea for a movie where all the zombies are really just dead cancer patients who had too much radiation therapy. He says I’m his “mommy zombie,” right before he breaks down and starts bawling. Poor kid.

He’s sobbing on my chest telling me he’s gonna miss me and do I think he’s gonna make it. The poor kid is convinced himself he’s just one break away from the big time, and he didn’t even finish high school. You’re no Bela Lugosi, I want to say. But he’s the baby. I’ve never wanted to come down too hard on him. Maybe that’s been my mistake. You know how it is with the babies—you just never want to let go.

Aw, Martha, I could talk about my children forever. But I know none of them is ever going to amount to much. Your two have been in jail, so you understand. But at least you know they’re not hurting anyone in there but themselves. Randall’s got the two little ones and God knows what’s going to happen to them.

I’ve spent a lot of time here lying in this bed—too much time—thinking about my parents and trying to figure out where I went wrong. My mom said she did it all for me, all the casseroles, the drives to the 4H meetings, the sewing and mending of dresses—all the little sacrifices she never complained about. She did them with this amused little smile on her face, too, like it was her secret. Like being a mom just made sense to her. I thought I’d understand being a mom once I did it myself, but I guess I never had it in me.

First time I knew was some thirty years ago. Doug and I took the kids on a trip to Graceland, which had just opened. We had sung “Blue Suede Shoes” and “Jailhouse Rock” together on the way over, but inside the kids were awful. Kevin kept screaming that Elvis was “bullshit.” Karen disappeared with some older boys into the parking lot, and Doug caught Randall smoking pot in the bathroom. I told Doug to take him home, but he didn’t want to come across as too strong, he always hated his own dad for that. And so Doug and I started yelling right in front of Elvis’s three TVs, and we didn’t end up seeing anything all day. And that’s when I knew, Martha, I’d never be my mom. I’ve hated this. I’ve always hated it.

Before he left us, my dad would say that having us kids was one of the two good things he ever did in his life. He never told me what the other was—maybe it was cheating on Mom. And just like my daddy, Doug bailed out on me, too, right around when Randall got into high school and was driving the car up and down Main Street at all hours and raising holy hell—that was it for him. He was done. Never mind that I was done, too.

It all gets too much, you know? No one ever told me what it meant to be a mom. I wasn’t ready. You got to learn how to give all those looks: The don’t-do-that looks, the don’t-make-me-come-over-there looks, the I’ll-tan-your-hide looks. Each one different, but all the same. And the angry tones of voice—what did I teach them? How to be bitter? How to nag? How disappointed I was in them? How I blamed them for Doug running off?

Does Randall know that I blamed him for that? Does Karen know how selfish she is? Does Kevin know he just plain scares me?

I couldn’t ever do right by them, Martha. I never could. I wasn’t cut out for it.

That’s why I don’t cry. Everyone’s telling me how sad it is, the sickness, and how am I holding up, knowing I’m going to pass on soon. But, for me, it’s been just one big relief, knowing I'm going to see my Elvis and my Chuckie.

You lock the door when you go, and tell them I’m not feeling well today, okay?

Irish

Yeah, I knew it was going to happen. I shouldn't have allowed it to settle in my mind. Oh well, at least I hadn't typed up anything yet.

RurouniZel

Question:

I haven't written anything yet, but is it possible to retract an entry and write a new one should I think of a better idea?

dentoomw

Man, I really want to join again but I am having a hell of a time coming up with ideas :lol just a lot of random thoughts that don't seem to really go anywhere. I'll keep at it though.

BTW Tim I didn't get a chance to reply to you on the other thread but I'm actually in South East Asia in the Philippines, so not too far off from Oz-GAF I suppose :D

Cyan

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Question:

I haven't written anything yet, but is it possible to retract an entry and write a new one should I think of a better idea?
Yep, definitely. If you think this might happen, I'd usually suggest not submitting until you have a final entry. But since that's not an option, yeah, you can retract it.

bjork

I'm gonna try and think of a good idea at work tonight, but this may end up like the last challenge and I just totally flake.

Cyan

Banned
Scribble said:
My idea's pretty cliche too.
I'm pretty sure that by this time, not having an idea counts as cliche, so I'm right there with you!

bjork said:
but this may end up like the last challenge and I just totally flake.
Not allowed.

Cyan

Banned
Funny timing given the secondary objective (although it's not meant to be about sexism, but rather challenging yourself to write from outside your usual perspective):

There's a whole lot of internet sturm und drang about "The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF," an upcoming sci-fi anthology ("manthology," lols) which includes only white male authors. The unhelpful anger on both sides of the argument makes for depressing reading (much like the amazingly terrible arguments over race in sci-fi earlier this year), but it does raise some questions that are worth thinking about.

Irish

Afternoon light was slowly seeping into the room from the slit between the heavy beige drapes. After lying still for a few solitary moments, the lone occupant of the room grudgingly tossed the caramel-colored comforter from her thin frame and swung her legs over the side of her king-sized bed. A chill climbed up her spine as she set her pale feet on the cold hardwood floors and stood up. Hurriedly, she glided across the room towards the window hangings and swept them skillfully to the side, lashing them in place with a strip of maroon fabric and an ornate wooden hook that screwed into the wall. Now able to see, the woman quickly made up her bed and laid out the clothing she planned to wear for the day.

Finished with her bedroom tasks, the old widow quietly made her exit and entered the bathroom, towel from the linen closet in hand. In the shower, she quickly scrubbed her body before applying her catalogue-ordered shampoo meant to keep in the color of hair dyes. This particular bottle claimed to "Keep that luscious auburn hair shining for days on end".

A quick rinse later, she clambered out of the shower and quickly dried off. Her hair still wet, the woman began brushing with a cylinder-shaped comb to prevent it from tangling, a problem that was common with her shoulder-length hair. Once that was completed, she put on her undergarments and made her way over to the steamed up mirror. With a wipe of her towel, the mirror cleared up and her reflection came into view. Her aged features such as her jutting eyes, low cheekbones, soft jaw line, small ears, and wrinkled nose were as familiar to her as the layout of her house. Make-up kit in hand, she set about trying to recapture her lost youth. Her eyebrows were the first things that needed worked on; well, drawn on, to be more precise. She had plucked the last hair out about a year ago. Both brows now replaced, she went to work on the rest of her face.

Fifteen minutes later, she finished and returned to her room to dress. Her attire consisted of a white, button-up blouse; a pleated skirt that was as dark as midnight; black, knee-high hose; black high heels; and a golden rose broach. Completely dressed, the elderly woman made her way down the spiral staircase to greet the guests that she was expecting.

Sure enough, as soon as she reached the bottom stair, the sound of a vehicle coming up the gravel-covered drive entered her ears. Gracefully, she slipped over to the broad, oak door and opened it. The familiar sight of her daughter-in-law's deep purple Durango caught her eye before she realized that the driver had already exited the vehicle. A quick glance around the front yard did not reveal her location. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a lock of that fiery copper hair that would reveal her daughter-in-law even in the largest of crowds. The wooden door had completely hidden her guest from her view.

With a small sigh, she stepped out on to the porch and said, "I've been meaning to have that door fixed for the past twenty or so years. It's just shocking that they installed one of the most important features of the house improperly. I mean, what kind of front door opens outwards anyway? A smash in the nose is no way to invite a guest into your home. Come on in, Colleen. Are the children still in the car?"

A good portion of her coppery hair covering the left side of her face, Colleen bent down and kissed her mother-in-law on both cheeks. She then said, "Oh, you've always known how to give a warm welcome, Margaret. I wouldn't put that much thought into that old door. Now, are you sure it's okay for me to leave the kids here for the night?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it at all. You, Jack, Rich, and Alice are always welcome at my home. You know that. I plan on sitting on the porch and talking with Sandra Whitley for most of the day. She moved into the house next to her son last month after her old house flooded, so we haven't spent much time together. On such a fine day like this, I'm sure the kids would want to play in the yard."

Colleen nodded and then turned back to the Durango, waving to her children. She then turned back to her former husband's mother and said, "Really, if you would rather spend the night by yourself, I can pick up the kids in an hour or two. It must be hard for you."

"Really now, it's not a problem. I love my grandchildren and want them to be with me. I'm pretty sure you've got an appointment to get to though, so you had better get a move on. We'll sit outside a while and then I will go in to make them a fried chicken dinner. After dinner, we'll watch a movie and then I'll send them off to bed. In the morning, I'll have them bathe so they will be nice and clean for when you come back. Now get along. You don't want to be late."

Colleen bent down once more, gave her mother-in-law another kiss on the cheek, and then went back to her purple vehicle. "Alright, I love you, Mom." In a few seconds, she was gone.

With her son's wife finally gone, Margaret turned her attention to her grandchildren.

"Go ahead and take your bags up to your rooms. Then you can come back outside and play."

As the children walked by, their grandmother made a mental note of the clothing they were wearing. It was something she had always done; to keep track of what belonged to whom. Today, however, she made another note. Both Jack and Alice were wearing long sleeves and blue jeans, an oddity considering how humid it was. Richard, on the other hand, was wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt and nylon shorts.

After a few minutes, Richard and Alice came down the stairway, Jack hot on their heels. When they reached the bottom step, each of them reached up and gave their grandmother a kiss before heading outside to play. Margaret waited a moment before following them out.

An hour or so passed before another vehicle appeared at the end of Margaret's gravel drive. The elderly widow smiled at the driver of the blue Eagle and went out to greet her friend. Slowly, the driver, Sandra Whitley, got out of the car and embraced her long-time friend.

"Oh Margaret, how have you been doing?"

Margaret guided her over to the rocking chairs and sat down before saying, "I've been just fine, how about yourself?"

"Don't worry about poor old me. You're the one I'm worried about. I'm very sorry that I missed the funeral."

"You should be glad that you missed it. It was a more joyous affair than any funeral has the right to be. Sandy, even I was happy. Can you believe it? I should have been in tears but I was happy."

"You really shouldn't say such things, Marge."

"I know that, I really do. He was my one and only child after all. Still, I'm glad he's gone. I should be crying, but I have no tears to shed. Only a sense of relief fills my heart."

"Ivan was such a sweet and lovable child though."

"Yes, he was as sweet as can be around me and Scott, but that was simply a mask he wore to keep his true nature hidden from us. To everybody else, though, he was an absolute monster."

"What do you mean?"

"He hurt Colleen and the children. He never laid a finger on Richard, though, never him. With his gray eyes and blonde hair, he was like an exact replica of Scott. Ivan must have thought that he was Scott reincarnated, always showering him with gifts. Anyway, he started with her. When I first saw her bruises, she gave me the cliché excuses. 'I fell down the stairs as I was carrying laundry' or 'I slipped in a puddle of water on the kitchen floor'. I actually believed her and went about my business. Can you believe that?"

"Oh, Marge, you had no reason to suspect otherwise. You shouldn't beat yourself up over that."

"He was my son. I should have never allowed him to be like that. I just can't help but think of what I did wrong. Why would a son of mine ever want to beat on his wife and children?"

"Some people are just wired a little differently than the rest. You were an excellent mother. I only wish I could have been as good as you."

"You must have done something right; just look at how Charlie turned out. He's an excellent young man."

"I told you. We're all wired a little differently."

"I suppose you're right. Still, he didn't just stop with Colleen; he started beating on Jack and Alice as well. I think he regretted it though. A few years ago, he started picking up all the extra hours he could. Almost all of that went into a life insurance policy on him. The rest went to private accounts for both the children and Colleen. None of it was spent on himself."

"How much are we talking here?"

"It was more than enough to put each of the children through college. I don't think anyone could ever be as glad as he was when that drunk driver swerved into the path of his car. As those headlights filled his vision, I'm sure a wide smile appeared on his face. Oh well, I think that's enough talk about Ivan. Would you like to stay for dinner? I'm making fried chicken."

"That sounds delicious. Let me help."

Well, I tried to take the advice I received in the last thread to heart, but I'm not sure how well I managed to work on those problems. The first few paragraphs are kinda long, but I tried to shorten them up in the end. Hopefully, the tense is all together this time around. Changing back to a third-person point of view should have helped with the weird rhythm.

Ceekus and I had the same basic idea, but he posted first. I decided to just switch my stuff around and see what came of it.

Yeah, it's probably easy to tell I'm a male.

Anyway, as long as this entry is better than the last, I know I'm on the right track.

Scribble

Cyan said:
Funny timing given the secondary objective (although it's not meant to be about sexism, but rather challenging yourself to write from outside your usual perspective):

There's a whole lot of internet sturm und drang about "The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF," an upcoming sci-fi anthology ("manthology," lols) which includes only white male authors. The unhelpful anger on both sides of the argument makes for depressing reading (much like the amazingly terrible arguments over race in sci-fi earlier this year), but it does raise some questions that are worth thinking about.

Thanks for that. I haven't read through yet, but it looks like it'll be an interesting read.

Edit: Why do they talk funny? =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom