• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battlecars HUGE FREE UPDATE today!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sarpbcbanner1.jpg

THE DAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED

NOTE - This is a PSN game.

Thought this was worthy of a new thread as the game needs more attention.....

Update is out for Eur now. US update out NOW!!!!!! FINALLY!!

Mind you this is a FREE update/patch which adds the following....

2 new maps
•2 new skins for each car
•Team lobby, return to lobby works!
•Friends list, menu display (ranked match, etc)
•Car wobbles in turns in online
•V sync doesnt seem to get to ball faster, and doesnt have franerate issues
•No more big grey ugly "bad connection" messages in game, instead, rather neat displays in corner of screen
•Permanent mute available even if not talking
•Ball outline appears through Walls
•Non-host can view server list
•Menus are faster (I think)
•Psyonix members get a star beside their name in online

Bare in mind that this is a user polled change list. The official presser will be out today detailing all the fixes and improvements.

LiquidMetal14

jett said:
I always see you playing this thing. :p Is there a demo?
Yes, no joke, it's really good once you learn it. And all the updates thus far have been free. This patch was expected to have many fixes and 1 more map, it has 2. Videos linked in OP.

gcubed

i've been putting off the purchase of this game for way too long, i actually like the demo, just never got around to buying it. Thanks OP

Flunkie

Banned
Holy shit! I loved this game to death when it came out and one of the biggest backers of it. I'll definitely be getting back into this game now. Liquid, I saw you playing this over the past couple weeks.. We've got to play soon.

LiquidMetal14

Flunkie said:
Holy shit! I loved this game to death when it came out and one of the biggest backers of it. I'll definitely. E getting back into this game now. Liquid, I saw you playing this over the past couple weeks.. We've got to play soon.
For sure. You're on my friends list right? I think I've seen it there.

I've played this game probably more than all my other games combined or just about :p

GhostBlade

Neo Member
Sweet, this may actually get me to boot up the game again. It has been ages but this is a really fun title, especially the multi-player.

Flunkie

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
For sure. You're on my friends list right? I think I've seen it there.

I've played this game probably more than all my other games combined or just about :p
Yep, I've got you on there. You're my only fried I've ever seen playing the game :p

Hopefully, if this game could get a pricedrop and more word of the update, we can get a lot more people playing.

LiquidMetal14

Flunkie said:
Yep, I've got you on there. You're my only fried I've ever seen playing the game :p

Hopefully, if this game could get a pricedrop and more word of the update, we can get a lot more people playing.
It did go down from 15 to 10. The community is hardcore. There are games at all times of the day and it gets busy at night. And the devs have just made new game nights so there is great support from them. Consider this like a great basketball or football game, it's got that kind of longevity and that was with just 4 maps. Now we have 2 more to play. Not to mention the fun challenges and SP modes. One of the most under appreciated games this gen.

I hope you guys enjoy it. The US patch should hit around 3PM EST / noon PST today.

I can answer any questions you guys have also.

We're not really sure why the press releases haven't gone out, but something should be hitting the main sites today about the update. We don't tend to get a ton of coverage though so you might miss it :lol

Also, those of you that had lag trouble before, one of our guys spent a lot of time optimizing the network stream. It's still not perfect - a game entirely based on high speed physics objects colliding over the internet won't ever be, unless we rewired the US with superfast connections =p. But it's better, and should be significantly improved in the case where the host has limited upload capability.

Some of us devs will be online once the US patch hits, look for the Psyonix- guys with stars on their names :)

lupinko

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. =P

Anyway, people should just buy the game based on the name alone. Still one of the greatest game titles, if not titles in general, ever! :D :lol

lupinko said:
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. =P

Anyway, people should just buy the game based on the name alone. Still one of the greatest game titles, if not titles in general, ever! :D :lol

Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? wants to have a word with you.

LiquidMetal14

Ironic that me and my friends call this Soccerball, Cochebol, Aerobic cars, and we have a new soccer based stadium map. Cool stuff.

jayb

when I tried the demo when it first came out I couldn't connect to anyone, so I eventually gave up and later deleted it. I liked the single player part of it though. guess I should re-download the demo and give it another shot.

LiquidMetal14

ickingfudiot said:
Haha Liquid I just noticed you titled the thread "Super Acrobatic Robot-Powered Battle-Cars".. can you edit thread titles? =p
LOL you mean robot isn't in the games name?!?!?!!?! :O Lemme PM a mod :p

depward

I really enjoyed the demo but didn't really pick it up. I will say that I followed the main thread when it was released and really enjoyed the support ickingfudiot gave answering questions and the like.

Methinks I'll pick this up tonight..

Here's an official changelist because everyone knows giant walls of text are really exciting..

New Content:
- A new arena, Galleon, is now available. It is set aboard a pirate ship on a cold spring night.
- A new arena, Stadium, is now available. It is a European-style soccer stadium.
- 14 new car skins

Replay System:
- Replays can be exported to SaveData as backup or to share with friends.
- Replays can be imported from the Replays menu.
- The final score is now displayed in the replays list. The user can also enter a title and short description.
- Replays are now numbered for quick identification.
- Red and Blue goals are automatically keyframed.
- A System Options item has been added that allows the HUD to stay visible when recording to video.
- A new menu option has been added to the mid-game menu that restarts the demo and video recording.

Camera:
- Players can now swivel the camera during in-game replays.
- Demolishes now shake the camera of nearby players.
- The camera swivel pitch amount has been increased.

Friends List:
- Friend status is now displayed on XMB friends list to indicate if they are in single-player, ranked match, etc.

Menu/HUD:
- Added an in-game graphical indicator to distinguish between official Psyonix employees and impersonators.
- Added “Go!” notification to the 3-2-1 countdown at the beginning of matches.
- Added left and right indicators on the map vote screen at the end of matches.
- The scoreboard will now update automatically.
- The Mute menu now displays all players, not just the ones that are currently talking, to make muting players easier.
- Added a Retry option at the end of all challenge modes.
- Clients can now view the server list while matchmaking in team lobbies.
- The names of each team member are now visible when viewing a team's detailed stats from the Standings menu.

Misc:
- Music playback is maintained during level/menu transitions.
- Updated the XMB movie icon.
- The ball outline has been tweaked to show through walls and other obstacles.

FIXES / IMPROVEMENTS:

Friends List:
- The Friends List has been rewritten to use Sony's friends list services exclusively. This fixes numerous problems with buddy status and invites.
- Friends who are currently online and playing the game are now sorted to the top of the list.

Server Browser:
- Fixed the “Please wait..” box getting stuck open when failing to connect to a server.
- Added a pop-up notification to distinguish between when the initial server list retrieval is taking a long time and when there are no servers up at all.
- The Server List is now sorted correctly with low-ping servers appearing at the top of the list.

Networking:
- Fixed a problem where clients would sometimes experience unintentionally weak hits on the ball.
- The overall bandwidth consumption in online matches has been optimized. This should improve playability on hosts with poor upload capabilities.
- Placed a cap on each client's bandwidth usage.
- Added a “bad connection” icon to the HUD to indicate when connection to a host is faulty without obscuring the screen with a pop-up box.
- Red and blue ball trails will now always appear correctly for clients.

Camera:
- The “Behind View” analog stick button now properly looks behind the car when in BallCam mode.

Menu/HUD:
- Fixed a problem that caused the time to display “OT” at the end of the game, even when not actually in Overtime.
- The Standings menu now focuses on the same statistic when changing filters instead of resetting to “Wins” each time.
- The Standings menu now operates faster: Players may now scroll left and right to get to the category they want without waiting between each category.

Stats:
- When the host leaves a team match, the opposing team will properly have a win added to their statistics.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused players who disconnect from a team match to report a loss for the wrong team, giving the winning team a loss.
- Fixed a bug in which quitting players teams' would sometimes not be included in the stats submission which would corrupt the entire match's statistics.
- Fixed a bug in which hosts who forfeit matches during replays would sometimes not write all stats and/or wins and losses for players in the match.

Misc:
- Moved the Trophy registration and synchronization to a background process, no more “Registering Trophy Information” progress bar.
- Fixed a rare but unusually long delay at the end of an online match while saving icon was showing.
- Fixed the problems preventing saving profiles and saving replays simultaneously at the end of a match.
- Fixed several issues in Split-screen where the order of controller sign-in would prevent some players from playing.
- Fixed a bug in the layout of the start positions on Utopia.
- Turning VSync ON or OFF no longer affects car speed.
- In-game replays are no longer affected by a client leaving the game during the replay.
- Map voting with splitscreen players now properly places a vote for each splitscreen player.
- Cars will no longer reset to a new position between “Waiting for players” and the actual start of the match.
- The custom soundtrack feature will now resume the last song that was being played.
- The ball will no longer reappear after replays at the end of a match.
- Countdown sounds are now played in the lobby when the match is beginning.
- The match start countdown time in the lobbies has been increased.
- Fixed the French “News Unavailable” translation.
- Players that quit or disconnect will now properly appear in the “Players Met” list after the game.
- Adjusted the contrast on the in-game HUD to reduce the chance of burn-in on plasma televisions.
- The “Most Valuable Player” Award will once again be awarded to users playing the US version of the game.
- The ball will now properly reset to the center of the field in Overtime in all cases.
- The car suspension effects have been enabled in online matches. The player's car will now bounce on its suspensions just like in offline mode.

teepo

i really enjoyed the demo. the only thing that held me back from buying it is the potential lack of community.

LiquidMetal14

lupinko said:
I did, no response. I know the name but it passed me while making the thread :lol :lol

Oh and ickingfudiot, does the MVP trophy work for NA too? I didn't see it in the notes.

Nevermind, I just seen it. About time I can get that trophy.

Jim

Definitely going to jump back into the game a bit. Had fun with it when it first came out.
Oh yeah, title fixed.

LiquidMetal14

Jim said:
Definitely going to jump back into the game a bit. Had fun with it when it first came out.
Oh yeah, title fixed.
TY Jim. The maps present whole new ways of playing the game. Really fun. Love all the fixes. Ball definitely behaves different now.

Trevelyan

Banned
Alright Liquid, I think you've sold me on this game. I'll be buying it sometime this week when i'm not completely dead from work(working overnights all day this week till 6am is killing me).

Flunkie

Banned
Jim said:
Oh yeah, title fixed.
Could I add you on PSN? One can never have too many SSARPBC friends.

WiCkEd_Co

I love this game. Since this game came out I spent more time on it online than all my other online games combine except CoD4.

Isn't it even cheaper now than when it first came out?

Can't wait to get home from work. My friend was texting me like crazy when he saw it was updated.

I'm WiCkEd Co and my friend is Mike2112.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I wish they had the two new levels as free DLC in the PSN store as 150k keys. It would have been good exposure for the game.

LiquidMetal14

WiCkEd_Co said:
I love this game. Since this game came out I spent more time on it online than all my other online games combine except CoD4.

Isn't it even cheaper now than when it first came out?

Can't wait to get home from work. My friend was texting me like crazy when he saw it was updated.

I'm WiCkEd Co and my friend is Mike2112.
Both of you add me, I play daily.

Jaroof

LiquidMetal14 said:
Both of you add me, I play daily.

Have any room for me? I've been wanting to get this game for a long time, and finally got it :D
Unfortunately, I don't have any friends on my friends list that have it.. :(

LiquidMetal14

Jaroof said:
Have any room for me? I've been wanting to get this game for a long time, and finally got it :D
Unfortunately, I don't have any friends on my friends list that have it.. :(
Send me an invite

jayb

ickingfudiot said:
If you're in Europe and ran out of demo time, I reset the demo data this morning to allow people to try out the new update.

what about NA? I played this a while back, but want to re-download the demo to try it out again.

jayb said:
what about NA? I played this a while back, but want to re-download the demo to try it out again.

Unfortunately we didn't implement the cool way the EU demo works until the EU release which came well after US. The US is still our original, limited demo which we aren't allowed to patch or update, so while it doesn't have an overall time limit, it also doesn't have any of the updates or new maps.

I agree it's a crappy situation, we just don't really have any recourse for a few backend reasons with Sony and how the store and patching works. All I can suggest is making a EU PSN account and grabbing the EU demo.

LiquidMetal14

Overall this makes the game much more enjoyable. Put my 2 cents in the official boards. The fact that I can actually invite 2 close friends to my team is win enough for me.

HankToms

How is the local multiplayer? Also, how many people does it support? I thought I read something about 4 player split screen, but the wiki page isn't help with exact numbers.

HankToms said:
How is the local multiplayer? Also, how many people does it support? I thought I read something about 4 player split screen, but the wiki page isn't help with exact numbers.

Local MP is one of the strongest parts, in my opinion. Supports 4 player splitscreen online and offline.

Flunkie

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Overall this makes the game much more enjoyable. Put my 2 cents in the official boards. The fact that I can actually invite 2 close friends to my team is win enough for me.
When I can actalyy pick up a controller normally again, I hope to be one of those two friends. :D

topofuji

Banned
Nice, I picked this up when it came out but was always too busy to play it. It feels comforting playing a game for the first time when it's all been fixed and expanded.

Top Bottom