• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #35 - "Deception"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Theme - "Deception"

Word Limit: 1800

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 8/26 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 8/27, and goes until Saturday, 8/29 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Mandatory Secondary Objective: Symbolism. The challenge: Including symbolism that is subtle and not beating the reader over the head with it.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

ronito

crowphoenix said:
Why do I have the feeling we're going to get some cheating spouses?

And spies. I'm anticipating a few spies.
Really? Spies I knew would be a given. But cheating spouses? I was expecting trannies.

Scribble

I'm going to utterly fail on this one.

If I'm going to include symbolism, I need to have something to say...which I don't.

Hmm, the simplest thing I can think of is a coming-of-age story.

Red hood = menstrual cycle
Wolf = sexual predator

Haw haw haw.

Oh, as for deception, I'm expecting eunuchs.

Irish

Oh wow, this challenge is going to kill me, especially with the secondary objective. I'm way too straight-forward to do well with either part, but I'll try my best. After all, I'm writing in these challenges to improve, so going out of my comfort zone will be perfect. Then again, I'm afraid I'll stay too true to my current writing style. (needless adjectives galore with constant subject changes.)

Actually, I've already got two ideas forming up in my head, so it shouldn't be as hard as I thought.

Quick question: What does HM stand for?

Irish said:
Oh wow, this challenge is going to kill me, especially with the secondary objective. I'm way too straight-forward to do well with either part, but I'll try my best. After all, I'm writing in these challenges to improve, so going out of my comfort zone will be perfect. Then again, I'm afraid I'll stay too true to my current writing style. (needless adjectives galore with constant subject changes.)

Actually, I've already got two ideas forming up in my head, so it shouldn't be as hard as I thought.

Quick question: What does HM stand for?
Honorable Mention: It's because a practice of making sure the other stories that were in the running for your votes get a mention.

Irish

Yikes, just for that I shouldn't really be here.

I knew it was way to "mention" the stories that you liked, but didn't vote for, but I can't believe I didn't think of that for the "M" part.

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea for the challenge!

I believe writers layer symbols and deeper meaning into their stories whether they know it or not--it's just a matter of recognizing that and then enhancing it a little. So this should be good practice for everyone.

ronito

Well I got the idea from reading Cyan's latest entries and some others. Most of my entries have some symbolism in them.

As to people that are worried you don't have anything to say and therefor nothing to use a symbol on, you can use character symbolism like the example Scribble brought up.

hey_monkey said:
I think this is an EXCELLENT idea for the challenge!

I believe writers layer symbols and deeper meaning into their stories whether they know it or not--it's just a matter of recognizing that and then enhancing it a little. So this should be good practice for everyone.
I agree. One of my old writing profs used to say that trying for symbolism creates a heavy hand. So, I think this challenge will be great for helping us learn to be subtle.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
And half the time symbolism sort of falls into place as you're fleshing out your idea. Least that's what I've always found. I believe if you concentrate on it too hard though, the less subtle it'll be.

Kimosabae

Banned
Subscribing.

This is right up my ally. If I can get a webcam or get my iMovie application working again, I'm posting a video.

-Kimo

Aaron

I don't really like the secondary objective. I feel that symbolism is something that should come organically out of writing, and that deliberately striving for it won't result in anything but beating the head of the reader with it.

ronito

well we'll have to see. Interested to see you saying that Aaron as you also have symbolism in your pieces.

As for me, the OP curse is in full effect. I had one idea about assassins but quickly discarded it as I'm sure everyone else had the idea already. I got nothing.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Oof.. booked all the way till school starts. And I thought I didn't have anytime to myself for writing already. Only going to get worse from here on out. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
most of mine have symbolism too, even if the writing is too bad for anyone to recognize it unless it's super overt.

Irish

I think I realized why I put so much detail into the door in the last entry: accidental symbolism for Marge.

Anyway, I think I'm going to use an idea I had for a different theme for this one.

I see this secondary objective as a way for us all to focus on symbolism in our stories and trying to enhance it ('cause there's almost always something there) without being very overt. It's also a chance for everyone to see what works and what doesn't. Some of the stories may "beat the readers over the head," but eh. So what? It's a learning experience for everyone, just like every other challenge.

Cyan

Banned
Hey dudes! Back from vacation, had a good time (aside from my car expiring right as I was getting onto the Golden Gate... fun times!).

ronito, congrats on your win. Well earned! Love the new theme. I'll have to think about the secondary objective. (Include symbolism? Cool! Wait, don't beat them over the head with it? Damn!)

Ceekus, I appreciated your in-depth commentary on all the stories last challenge. Really helpful. So I'll answer your questions: 1. I personally wasn't bothered overmuch by Martha, but I think you could've cut the occurences of her name, slightly altered the beginning, and had the same overall effect sans confusion. 2. Missed it. I even went back and looked when you mentioned it in another post, but couldn't find it. Now I see it; oh well. 3. :)

A couple more general thoughts after the last challenge:
-Not getting votes--or getting fewer votes you did on a previous story--doesn't necessarily mean anything about the quality of your story. Votes are highly dependent on who is voting, on the other stories in the challenge, on peoples' moods. Sure, getting votes is nice and all, but pay more attention to people's commentary than to your final position in voting.
-No need to get defensive about criticism. Responding to people's comments and questions is fine, but arguing with them is counterproductive. Remember that when someone critiques you they are doing you a favor.

Edit:
Hey Scribble! I think someone must have hacked into your account and changed your avatar! :O

Cyan said:
-Not getting votes--or getting fewer votes you did on a previous story--doesn't necessarily mean anything about the quality of your story. Votes are highly dependent on who is voting, on the other stories in the challenge, on peoples' moods. Sure, getting votes is nice and all, but pay more attention to people's commentary than to your final position in voting.

this, this, this.

Aaron

People vote for the best stories? I always vote for the ones I like the most, which isn't always the same thing. I can recognize a story is well done, but if it's based around something I don't appreciate, it's not going to get my top spot.

Scribble

Do I see it as competition? In a way. Not to claim superiority or to 'win', but to see if I can surpass myself each time. Maybe everyone is just stating their opin-yun and their critz aren't objective, but I do see them as an indication of the quality of my stories. Which is IMO a good thing because otherwise I'd just be writing in a bubble and prob become deluded enough to think I'm the next Shakespeare.

After all, readers liking my stories is the only way I'm going to get published, right? I do understand that not *everyone* will like my writing, though. Extreme example: JK Rowling...

Cyan said:
Edit:
Hey Scribble! I think someone must have hacked into your account and changed your avatar! :O

It's nice to know there are friendly hackers out there. Tingle was starting to annoy me but I didn't have the guts to swap him out. What's great is hacker in question even replaced him with a gif from my favourite game =D

Everyone who votes is going to have their own criteria, and would even if we had strict voting rules or something silly like that... just like every reader out there will have their own criteria. So I'm always just happy to get comments, so I can get a little window into what people see when I put a story up.

I'm flooded with ideas for this one... but unfortunately, most of them were obvious (no assassins, though). I think I finally found one that's a little better. I want to get started on this one early!

I think I've got a great idea for this one. I can't really claim it yet, seeing as it was a bit I took from the ramblings of a friend.

But hey, "Good authors borrow. Great authors steal."

And do I want to win? Sure. It'd mean I'm improving, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. I just like knowing someone enjoyed my work, since that's mostly what I'm going for. Well, besides improving myself, but that's a given.

Scribble

OK, I was reading Wordsworth/Coleridge's Lyrical Ballads, and got an idea. I've been enjoying poetry, recently. Didn't think I would.

Irish

Wow, I don't know how you guys manage to write with High-Speed internet. I just got it this Thursday and everytime I sit down to write, I end up searching for random videos or songs that enter my head.

Irish said:
Wow, I don't know how you guys manage to write with High-Speed internet. I just got it this Thursday and everytime I sit down to write, I end up searching for random videos or songs that enter my head.
That pretty much sums up my writing experiences.

One of the reasons I stopped using Twitter is that it was interfering with my writing. I'm such a voyeur that my eyeballs were constantly glued to twhirl instead of anything productive!

When I find myself very distracted, I make myself do little writing pushes, say 30 minutes with no leaving the Scrivener window. If I'm really scattered, I'll use something like this or even just go hand write.

Scribble

Use a full screen WP like Q10. Listen to instrumental music while you write.

Oh, and plug out the internet.

The last one doesn't actually work for me, because I often make an excuse to plug it back in

Yeah, Scrivener has that fullscreen option. I don't use it as much as I should. I'm about to start rewriting a story tonight... I'll do that and see if I can get through the whole thing!

Aaron

Irish said:
I have a video of something paused, so I switch over to it for a couple minutes when I need a break, and then switch back. I don't listen to music while writing. Too distracting.

Kimosabae

Banned
Irish said:

Try using those distractions.

Or.

Try getting up and walking away from your computer.

It would probably help me more than you, though, since this gives me a chance to work on memorizing lyrics, work on inflections, breath control, cadences, etc. But it's in these moments when I tend to come up with dope ideas too, since my mind's in a more free form state while walking around.

I wish I had more time. A week almost doesn't seem like enough.

-Kye

Irish

Wait, you guys don't write your stories in the reply box? I don't think I could do it any other way. There's just something comfortable about it. Then again, I tend to sit down and write everything out at once. I can see how using something like Word or whatever would be useful if you don't have a lot of time and need to save constantly. Although, my method is pretty darn risky in case of a power outtage or something.

I think I'm going to sit down later today, listen to some White Stripes (Get Behind Me Satan), and type out the story I've formed in my mind. I always do my first draft as I'm falling to sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys.

There's no way I could do write my fiction in the reply box. My work is far too sloppy for that, and I'd be guaranteed to lose all my work almost every single time. Besides, I'm always watching the word count as I write.

Scribble

I'm just posting a short story writing advice book that I've been enjoying lately. It was actually first published in 1898, but a lot of it is still relevant.

And it's public domain!

Short Story Writing: A Practical Treatise on the Art of the Short Story by Charles Raymond Barret
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20526/20526-h/20526-h.htm

It's also a slightly funny read, because the author is so stern and blunt with his opinion.

You have to buy this one, but Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing is also good. He encourages writing 'from the heart' and all that kind of stuff: "Wouldn't it be wonderful, for instance, to throw down a copy of Harper's Bazaar you happened to be leafing through at the dentist's, and leap to your typewriter and ride off with hilarious anger, attacking their silly and sometimes shocking snobbishness?"

Thanks for those Scribble. I'll definitely have to give those a look, and finish up that book Cyan recommended.

Started researching Creative Writing grad schools again. It's going to be slow going, as I've never been very good at this kind of research. But, if I can just find six schools that should be enough.

Irish

Thanks for those links.

I think this one is going to be a really short story. The idea I have doesn't have a lot of room for details/action. I suppose I could beef up the characters a bit and add in an extra situation, but I don't know if it would detract from what's there or not. Oh well, I'll work it out as I go later on tonight.

I also think I post in these threads way too much and need to stop.

Scribble

No problem...

Zen in the Art of Writing is pretty inspiring. What a great guy Ray Bradbury is (And he has such original ideas).

And he's still alive! I thought he wasn't.

glistenm

Banned
I've been working on this basically non stop since the thread was posted, without further ado:

"Deception Cut the Story Short"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom