• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Seems Rare Is Working On A Very Tight Schedule

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
UPDATE:

It seems this game has now been canceled: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjornmadsen

superannuation said:
Software Director
Rare Ltd
(Privately Held; Computer Games industry)
August 2009 — November 2009 (4 months)
Managed a large team of engineers working on a tight schedule to go from pre-production to finished product in a year. Project cancelled due to changing business environment.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjornmadsen

(I know I posted about this previously, but cancellation is a development.)
Source: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/249505628/software-director-rare-ltd-privately-held

-----------------------

It seems at least one of Rare's teams is working on a very tight schedule. I'm assuming it's related to an avatar game for Natal as this person's last two projects were avatars and the avatar soccer watching zones for Sky and Canal+.

superannuation said:
Software Director
Rare / Microsoft Games Studios
(Computer Software industry)
August 2009 — Present (3 months)
Manage a large team of engineers working on a tight schedule to go from pre-production to finished product in a year.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjornmadsen
Source: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/209643510/software-director-rare-microsoft-games-studios

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts 2, perhaps!?
yeah, I know

:( I really want a sequel to that game

V_Ben

Banned
That and they seem to be working on all of the bloody dashboard stuff. the guys resume shows us that rare did the sky tv frontend :-( what happened to them...

senahorse

They are just getting a small team together for the Natal/Avatar stuff while the rest are working on Kameo 2
I wish :(

So they're going to work faster, more strenuous, and thus with less attention to detail. This will surely bring them back to their glory days.

Madman

Poor Rare. Hopefully they are getting the time/resources they need on a new Banjo or PD and this is just for something else.

Iksenpets

Banned
Rare sounds like a kind of miserable place to work these days. Tight schedules and very little autonomy from the sound of it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Is Rare still in the same place as it was when that video about the workplace was made?

Strike

room_full_of_people_who_cares.jpg

watkinzez

I'll wait until their stuff is announced before making judgement, but I don't like how whatever the Kameo and PDZ teams were working on for two years were supposedly shelved. After PDZ, Bjorn was doing something for 21 months that we'll probably never see. :(

bdouble

I'd think that most companies at least strive to be on a tight schedule. Even someone like Blizzard. They just have more freedom to change deadlines. I'm sure they still have them though.

MirageDwarf said:
Rare should go Bungie way.

Bungie made a huge amazing game this gen that made them asstons of money so they were in a better position to buy themselves independence from MS (we can talk about how much independence, since MS has lots of influence, owns their biggest ip, and has right of first refusal to publish...everything they make).

Rare ... um those things don't apply. I don't think the brilliant success of, err, kameo is going to allow for that.

-PXG-

Too bad they're working on something that none of us care about, or anything that is near their old level of quality.....

poor Rare....

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
pretty sure 99% of job positions listed for games mention something about work on a tight schedule. you're reading into this way too much. slow news day...

V_Ben said:
That and they seem to be working on all of the bloody dashboard stuff. the guys resume shows us that rare did the sky tv frontend :-( what happened to them...

MS is getting their money's worth. That's what.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Scrow said:
pretty sure 99% of job positions listed for games mention something about work on a tight schedule. you're reading into this way too much. slow news day...

Weekends always suck for news. :(

Rare? Tight schedule? :lol

They have got to be the company with the loosest schedules in the entire history of videogames!

... Oh wait... I forgot about 3D Realms...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
schild said:
He does because I'm sure he doesn't want Lionhead stuck making Natal crapware.
That's kind of what I was getting at. That he doesn't care what Rare does as long as it's Natal stuff.

Sean

Banned
watkinzez said:
I'll wait until their stuff is announced before making judgement, but I don't like how whatever the Kameo and PDZ teams were working on for two years were supposedly shelved. After PDZ, Bjorn was doing something for 21 months that we'll probably never see. :(

Yeah it's really annoying that Rare's projects keep getting messed around with so late in the development cycle. To have something shelved after nearly two years in development has to be disheartening for their team(s). Then there's other things they worked on like GE 007 XBLA which was finished (I think) but couldn't be released due to licensing issues. They just can't catch a break.

Rare is obviously a talented studio but they are being mis-managed. I'm hoping that Peter Molyneux will get things back on track over there.

apujanata

KevinCow said:
From pre-production to a finished product in a year?

Rare?

lol

Yeah. lol.

What is the fastest record for any Rare games from pre-prod to finished prod ?

I really miss Donkey Kong Country.

Sean said:
Rare is obviously a talented studio but they are being mis-managed. I'm hoping that Peter Molyneux will get things back on track over there.
Wasn't there a lot of employees resigning from Rare in the last few years ? I remember reading an article about it a few years back.

apujanata said:
Yeah. lol.

What is the fastest record for any Rare games from pre-prod to finished prod ?

I really miss Donkey Kong Country.

Wasn't there a lot of employees resigning from Rare in the last few years ? I remember reading an article about it a few years back.

The Free Radical guys broke off, I'm not sure how much of the studio or it's culture is still intact aside from them though.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Are there any original devs left at rare that worked on the old games that they were known for back in their 'glory days' ?
I'm not saying the current people there are bad, but the soul of many game franchises die when a certain numbder of core team members leave and are replaced by new people that have a different take on what the game should be.

Top Bottom