• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official LocoRoco Midnight Carnival Thread of Joyous Jibberish

batbeg

v3n70k.jpg

Platform: PSP (Downloadable)
Release Dates:
North America: October 29th
Hong Kong: October 30th
Europe: October 29th
Australa: N/A
Japan: November 1st
Players: 1(-4, ad-hoc only)
Price:
$14.99
£11.99
¥2800
14.99€
Size: 188mb

It's time for a new installment in the joyously addictive LocoRoco series; whereas Cocoreccho was a drastic departure, and LocoRoco 2 was a refinement of the original, LocoRoco Midnight Carnival has chosen to evolve upon the original formula. What you'll find now is a more arcade-based experience, with an increased emphasis on score and competitive spirit.

LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is a downloadable experience only for the PSP, so with great sadness I have to admit the PS3 and UMD clamoring can hopefully be kept to a minimum, so that we might boing more freely in great happiness. While there has been very little media on the game, I've gathered what I can to explain the new title and it's new features!

Accesories:

In lieu of the beloved Muimui house from titles past, the collection-obsessed players will now have to deal with an accessory system that lets you dress your LocoRoco in various outfits (see: my avatar of the last two months). Some of these promise to include new gameplay possibilities, and some will only work with a given character. One such piece is the Helper's Mask, which promises to let another player help you through difficult sections.

i1jma0.jpg
28iun8p.jpg

A character specific item we've been shown belongs to Viole; here, her Heart Glasses cause her boing trail to turn similarly violet, and she sings more vibrantly.

155qxir.jpg

Boing!

The new boing mechanic is something of a "superjump", though much more intrinsic to the gameplay than the limited one found in LocoRoco 2. Successive bounces will increase your boing abilities and let you literally jump off the walls, opening a new dynamic in the series' level design.

2a7se4k.jpg
fkbck8.jpg

Local Multiplayer

The previously mentioned Helper Mask is one form of multiplayer included in the game; the other announced mode is a versus mode, where you and up to three other local players race towards the finish line. Obviously because the game mechanics involve you tilting the world you will not see an entire representation of the other players levels, but you will see their LocoRoco's current position; imagine something like TrackMania, where you're effectively racing live ghost data.

The Playstation Blog has a video demonstration of this mode, which is also the largest full-length video we've seen of the game yet. For the multiplayer mode, at least, this indicates a shorter length, as the level really is quite small; hopefully there will be some larger levels for the multiplayer though.

Online Leaderboards

Not only fantastic because of the global approach which will finally confirm me as being better than all of you suckers at LocoRoco
not true
, but it will allow you to race against the ghost data of the best players in the world, such as myself.

Pictures

15494lw.jpg
jh3t3r.jpg

335a80h.jpg
2ujttp3.jpg

Videos

Debut Trailer
Playstation Blog Multiplayer Demonstration

Reviews:

The Sixth Axis 9/10

LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is a fantastic addition to the ever increasing PSP library. It’s smart, well balanced, packed with content and a penny under twelve quid is actually pretty good value. Fans should consider this a no-brainer, newcomers might need a little longer to adjust to the controls but the two button mechanic is stronger and more refined than ever. I’m in love with the series, and thus probably as biased towards this game as a person can objectively be, but this is surely a wicked little game in anyone’s eyes

Videogamer 8/10

LocoRoco has always looked and sounded stunning and Midnight Carnival is no exception. The songs each of the seven LocoRoco sing are all charming, with varying degrees of cuteness; the levels and characters within each of them are beautiful ,and the use of colour throughout is incredible. A game with visuals this simple really doesn't have any right to look this good. It might be a trickier experience than fans are used to, but it's still a joy to play. It's not as good as the previous two games, but at a budget price it's still a game few PSP owners will be disappointed by.

Push Square: 4/5

LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival may not be a full-on sequel, but it’s still all-singing, all dancing fun. It’s outrageously good value for money too.

GamePro: 4/5

The Locoroco series is known for its cutesy graphics, infectious soundtrack and its simple yet challenging puzzles. Just in time for Halloween, the new Midnight Carnival has arrived to provide more shoulder-button based tomfoolery. With more of the same great gameplay, it's a worthy download for PSP owners everywhere.

GameTrailers: 5.6/10

Wah wah it's too hard.

Pocket Gamer: 7/10

While maintaining the sugary sweet style of its inventive forerunners, LocoRoco Midnight Carnival braves new gameplay that has sticky points preventing it from being as grand

Wonder Wall Web: 9/10

LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is a wonderful title and a great addition to the PSP line up. This series can do no wrong and just seems to get better each time. Highly Recommended.

Cheat Code Central: 4.5/5

Despite being a relatively short, holiday-themed downloadable title that costs only a few bucks less than a full-blown LocoRoco release, Midnight Carnival is still a lot of fun and offers enough minor tweaks to make the game just different enough. The difficulty is steep enough to challenge even the best players, and the more platforming-oriented layout of these 16 new levels changes things up a bit. You'll clock quite a few hours trying to master these tricky courses, possibly cursing out the BuiBui's ingeniously sneaky, constructive creativity in the process.

11qkapk.png

• 16 New Stages, 3 Bonus Stages
  • 2 New Minigames
  • Local Multiplayer - Co-op or Competitive, up to 4 players
  • Arcade, Score-Focused Experience (Worldwide Leaderboards) - Ghost Data for Replays!
  • Geared Towards the "Hardcore" LocoRoco Player - Keepin' that casual shit out of your locorocos since 1851
  • There Will Be a Demo! - The demo will in fact be the entire game, with just two levels unlocked, and the rest opened upon purchase
  • PSP Go Friendly - Played entirely with the shoulder buttons, including menu navigation. I have no idea how the breaking down mechanic now works!

2z50n79.png

batbeg

The Playstation Blog has updated with the multiplayer video. This is the most thorough footage we've actually seen of the game yet :lol I myself doubt I'll ever find anyone to play this mode with, so I'm much more excited about the leaderboards, but it seems like a nice bonus for those who can take advantage of it.

Also, I posted the speculative JP release date; I recall hearing with the initial previews that it would come out when the PSP Go does in Japan, or November 1st. So between the 29th, 30th, and 1st, hopefully Europe and Australia will get in on some of that action as well (very specifically Europe, or I won't be playing it!).

Edit: Forgot to mention that this video also demonstrates the splitting/rejoining element of gameplay, so er... I have no idea how that works. The previews and PS Blog guy have both confirmed the face buttons are not used in the gameplay, so I suppose it could be automatic; but automatically forcing level progression in a LocoRoco title could be really detrimental to the hide'n'seek mechanics of it.

batbeg

nofi had a great review up on The Sixth Axis, well worth checking out. Gave it a 9/10 and confirmed a few good details.

Verdict said:
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is a fantastic addition to the ever increasing PSP library. It’s smart, well balanced, packed with content and a penny under twelve quid is actually pretty good value. Fans should consider this a no-brainer, newcomers might need a little longer to adjust to the controls but the two button mechanic is stronger and more refined than ever. I’m in love with the series, and thus probably as biased towards this game as a person can objectively be, but this is surely a wicked little game in anyone’s eyes.

EDIT:

Videogamer 8/10

LocoRoco has always looked and sounded stunning and Midnight Carnival is no exception. The songs each of the seven LocoRoco sing are all charming, with varying degrees of cuteness; the levels and characters within each of them are beautiful ,and the use of colour throughout is incredible. A game with visuals this simple really doesn't have any right to look this good. It might be a trickier experience than fans are used to, but it's still a joy to play. It's not as good as the previous two games, but at a budget price it's still a game few PSP owners will be disappointed by.

My favorite part of this is the reviewer suggesting the first two LocoRoco games never offered any frustration. :lol WRONG. But nice review beyond that odd point.

kassatsu

Banned
batbeg said:
Also, I posted the speculative JP release date; I recall hearing with the initial previews that it would come out when the PSP Go does in Japan, or November 1st. So between the 29th, 30th, and 1st, hopefully Europe and Australia will get in on some of that action as well (very specifically Europe, or I won't be playing it!).
It is confirmed Nov 1 for Japan @ ¥2800

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aw man, I haven't even got around to playing LR2. The details about this one sound ace.

Feel bad I never got around to purchasing the other LocoRoco games but I plan to make this my first. :D Music and style of this is really appealing to me.

Jim

Been playing this... it's really awesome! I liked 1, loved 2, but MC is really nails the formula. Music is great and the game's paced a lot quicker obviously. The purchasable items also add a lot to it.

Also, the game is 188 MB, and it's really a demo with the option to purchase via unlock key (PS3/PSN style).

Edit: The PSN art also
3Ve0vTR54WfG5aOHOnpfNlayXiTtfyv6.png

SovOSkOkDS1KtHbSLcpWrjFxOABgoNeE.png

batbeg

Thanks for the quick impression Jim :D Making me antsy waiting for it though! I want to get it asap to try to get on the leaderboards, because I know I'll never have a chance once there's a significant number of players :lol

GoldandBlue said:
Feel bad I never got around to purchasing the other LocoRoco games but I plan to make this my first. :D Music and style of this is really appealing to me.

Do make sure you get LocoRoco 2 eventually as well! I think it's on the US PSN store, though I'm not sure. It's extremely packed with content and replayability (my current file is at 27 hours and I've still not 100%ed it)

But yes, join us! Make this thread more of a success than my pitiful LocoRoco 2 thread! :lol

batbeg said:
Thanks for the quick impression Jim :D Making me antsy waiting for it though! I want to get it asap to try to get on the leaderboards, because I know I'll never have a chance once there's a significant number of players :lol

Do make sure you get LocoRoco 2 eventually as well! I think it's on the US PSN store, though I'm not sure. It's extremely packed with content and replayability (my current file is at 27 hours and I've still not 100%ed it)

But yes, join us! Make this thread more of a success than my pitiful LocoRoco 2 thread! :lol
My wife is at over 150 hours of gameplay through her 3 game saves for LocoRoco 2. She LOVES that game. I think I put in about 8.

batbeg

IT'S OUT ON THE EUROPEAN STORES!!! :D Am downloading it right now, then downloading Crystal Defenders, then, er, might play it, might not. Am fucking tired right now.

mistuhcahlos said:
My wife is at over 150 hours of gameplay through her 3 game saves for LocoRoco 2. She LOVES that game. I think I put in about 8.

Jeeeesus. I'm not that dedicated, haha. I only have two levels left to find all the LocoRoco in, after which I'm more or less done, I'm definitely not bothering to complete the Mui Mui house or stamp book or any of that.

depward

Played it and hey, at last look, I was #1 on the first two worlds on the leaderboard for points :lol Then again, at the time, there were only like 15 total people for each...

In any case, I really like what they did here; the boing mechanic really brings a new kind of play-style to the table. The bonus for boinging from start to finish really seems to be the way to score the best amount of points..

RagolSlayer

Neo Member
Gonna pick this up as soon as my paycheck comes in this week =D

mistuhcahlos said:

Wow, I played about 50 hours-ish and I thought I was hardcore. *bow*

depward said:
Played it and hey, at last look, I was #1 on the first two worlds on the leaderboard for points :lol Then again, at the time, there were only like 15 total people for each...

In any case, I really like what they did here; the boing mechanic really brings a new kind of play-style to the table. The bonus for boinging from start to finish really seems to be the way to score the best amount of points..

I got it last night as well. I'm a LocoRoco first-timer. I was #1 on the list for a little while, too...1 out of like 8 or 9 though ;)

batbeg

Finally having it working thanks to Kassatsu pointing out my idiocy :D Unfortunately, the leaderboards don't seem to be working on CFW 5.50GEN-D2, unless I'm missing something obvious (it tells me I need a firmware update) :(

This game is ridiculous though :lol Shamplin 1 has the most insane secret at the start that took me a few tries to do without dying. The levels are much shorter thus far but the secrets are a lot more challenging. Can't wait until I get the camera unlocked, I think I've already seen my Christmas avatar for this year.

batbeg

HA!! I beat you, Jaojab 2!! How do you like me nooow, sucker? Christ that level was a nightmare. I'm on the last (non-bonus) level now, and just from the start I'm willing to bet it's going to be even harder :lol Sweet Jesus is this game ever difficult. So far I've 100%ed only 5 of the levels, and can only imagine the time I'm going to have on the rest...!

PICTURES!

madzc0.png
2iuyqlj.png

2z6iczp.png
65o1.png

153mkpy.png
s2yv48.png

vpc1me.png
8ys7d2.png

Anyway, time for some new review scores:

Push Square: 4/5

LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival may not be a full-on sequel, but it’s still all-singing, all dancing fun. It’s outrageously good value for money too.

GamePro: 4/5

The Locoroco series is known for its cutesy graphics, infectious soundtrack and its simple yet challenging puzzles. Just in time for Halloween, the new Midnight Carnival has arrived to provide more shoulder-button based tomfoolery. With more of the same great gameplay, it's a worthy download for PSP owners everywhere.

GameTrailers: 5.6/10

Wah wah it's too hard.

(I usually like GT reviews but can't help but feel this one was way off; bitching about the controls? Really?)

Pocket Gamer: 7/10

While maintaining the sugary sweet style of its inventive forerunners, LocoRoco Midnight Carnival braves new gameplay that has sticky points preventing it from being as grand

Wonder Wall Web: 9/10

LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is a wonderful title and a great addition to the PSP line up. This series can do no wrong and just seems to get better each time. Highly Recommended.

Cheat Code Central: 4.5/5

Despite being a relatively short, holiday-themed downloadable title that costs only a few bucks less than a full-blown LocoRoco release, Midnight Carnival is still a lot of fun and offers enough minor tweaks to make the game just different enough. The difficulty is steep enough to challenge even the best players, and the more platforming-oriented layout of these 16 new levels changes things up a bit. You'll clock quite a few hours trying to master these tricky courses, possibly cursing out the BuiBui's ingeniously sneaky, constructive creativity in the process.

5.6/10 GameTrailers?

HORRIBLE.

This game takes what's fun about LocoRoco and amps it up! Puts things on a clock, makes the game harder, introduces a fun dynamic of a counter when bouncing - I really, really dig it.

Takao

Banned
Yeah that GT review is out of no where :lol

Been having a tonne of fun with this one, as I've had with previous LocoRoco games.

Nice to see some more scores on the leaderboards. Also, I just found out there's a score leaderboard AND time leaderboard! Awesome! Downloading replays works really well, too.

Man, this is seriously the best LocoRoco ever. It's like they took the LocoRoco formula, stripped out their somewhat tired, slow-crawling exploration and focused on challenge and speed and it works so wonderfully. Time penalties, bonus for bouncing throughout the entire level; so great.

fernoca

So I got the game..I've always liked LocoRoco, so a new game plus the promise of playing it with the Go closed..was a nice addition, so I jumped..

As far as LocoRoco games ,it is my favorite..that's all I can say at the moment. Love the new additions, variety, the items, leaderboards..everything's really nice.

But the whole 'Go-thing' is..quite a dissapointment. You can play with just the shoulder buttons, but the thing is you can't play the entire game just with the shoulder buttons. Since you need to use buttons to select and confirm options, to save..or to separate/breakdown into smaller ones..so you'll be either constantly moving up/down the lid, or just leave it up the entire time. Tried to check if there was any option for "special Go controls", but all the shoulders do in the menus/navigation is just to move left right or up down....and in the game all you can do with the shoulders in the Go, well..is the same as in every/previous game (tilt left or right, and jump)

Unless I'm missing some option..so if I'm wrong, let me know.

batbeg

fernoca said:
So I got the game..I've always liked LocoRoco, so a new game plus the promise of playing it with the Go closed..was a nice addition, so I jumped..

As far as LocoRoco games ,it is my favorite..that's all I can say at the moment. Love the new additions, variety, the items, leaderboards..everything's really nice.

But the whole 'Go-thing' is..quite a dissapointment. You can play with just the shoulder buttons, but the thing is you can't play the entire game just with the shoulder buttons. Since you need to use buttons to select and confirm options, to save..or to separate/breakdown into smaller ones..so you'll be either constantly moving up/down the lid, or just leave it up the entire time. Tried to check if there was any option for "special Go controls", but all the shoulders do in the menus/navigation is just to move left right or up down....and in the game all you can do with the shoulders in the Go, well..is the same as in every/previous game (tilt left or right, and jump)

Well for one, you break down and combine again automatically, so there's really no need to do it manually during a level. Yes, you can if you so desire, but I've yet to see a single reason to do so.

Don't know what to tell you about menu navigation, though. Previews and the Playstation Blog said menu navigation was do-able with just the shoulder buttons, but I've not been able to see how, myself.

fernoca said:

In the menus if you want to confirm something hit both shoulder buttons at the same time. The ONLY thing you can't do is select which save file you want at the beginning of the game. Everything else can be done by using the shoulder buttons to navigate and hitting both shoulder buttons at the same time to confirm your selection (it's like hitting X).

Gwanatu T

This looks really cool! I loved the original and never tried the 3rd or the spinoff on PS3 (since I don't own one), but I like how they've added new stuff without ruining the formula.

TheMissingLink said:
Nice to see some more scores on the leaderboards. Also, I just found out there's a score leaderboard AND time leaderboard! Awesome! Downloading replays works really well, too.

Man, this is seriously the best LocoRoco ever. It's like they took the LocoRoco formula, stripped out their somewhat tired, slow-crawling exploration and focused on challenge and speed and it works so wonderfully. Time penalties, bonus for bouncing throughout the entire level; so great.

Totally agree. I had zero interest in the LocoRoco series before, but I can't stop playing this one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Every Loco Roco game has the ability to put a big fucking stupid smile on your face. I downloaded the demo and the started the game, cue the opening movie. Yep, big fucking grin. =)

depward

This game really is awesome. I remember reading some foolios on the PS.Blog saying how it's criminal this game is selling for $14.99 when it isn't a "full game".

What a joke. I'm a HUGE fan of LocoRoco 1 + 2 and I find Midnight Circus to be even more enjoyable than those (slightly, but true).

Fantastic game and definitely recommend it to those looking for a loco fix.

kadotsu

Banned
Played the demo. Boing is a great new mechanic. Now I actually want them to make LR3. Will buy MC when it hits 10€.

Well this is my first Locoroco game I've actually bought and now I want the first two- but will I like them after playing Midnight?

batbeg

So has anyone beaten it yet? I'm terrified of the last level; I made it to the boss once but got eaten instantly as I had only one LocoRoco. I don't even know if you're meant to fight him or just keep boinging away. Anyone found these two "bonus stages", for that matter? I guess the training grounds you get after the second level is considered one, but I don't know what the other is

I need to try it again but am downloading J&D now, then Wild Arms XF, then I have to... y'know, play them :)

kadotsu said:
Played the demo. Boing is a great new mechanic. Now I actually want them to make LR3. Will buy MC when it hits 10€.

I really can't understand this o_O

batbeg

Square Triangle said:
Well this is my first Locoroco game I've actually bought and now I want the first two- but will I like them after playing Midnight?

There are a load of demos for LocoRoco 1, and one for LocoRoco 2 as well. I would suggest trying all of the demos, and if you find you've not yet hit a saturation point for the kind of gameplay it contains, then buy LocoRoco 2 (if you're buying it off the PSN it's oddly cheaper than the first game).

However, Midnight Carnival has a huge emphasis on platforming which just really doesn't exist in the first two. The controls are essentially the same, without the boing mechanic in place, but there are never any pitfalls, and the gameplay is about finding the 20 LocoRoco in each stage as well as they many other collectibles. The levels are longer, and the challenge is... well, it can be frustrating to 100% a few levels, but nothing like this game :lol

So... yeah. At least try out the LocoRoco 2 demo.

The originally Locoroco and Locoroco 2 are quite a bit different from Midnight Carnival...they are much slower, more deliberate. That said, they are great games.

And yeah, I'm on the last level. And I nearly chucked my PSP off the train during the commute TO and FROM work - couldn't even get to the halfway point of the level. Good LORD, this game's last few levels are tough...

Gonna buy this today after my classes. :D Really loved the demo.

I was wondering how many hours people have put into this game so far.

Played through a bit of it. I was pretty frustrated at first trying to get a hang of bouncing from wall to wall but it's pretty easy now. :D I'm having a blast now playing it and I'm really loving the music in this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord, this game is really something special. I almost passed it up, but man, they've refined this series to a science. The originals WERE great fun, but I felt they were always too slow paced and easy. The boing mechanic combined with much more interesting level design focused on platforming and traps has resulted in the game LocoRoco was always meant to be. They NEED to make a full on sequel with the type of challenges this game offers and I would love to see it on PS3 (PSP too would be OK ala Echochrome). Honestly, I think LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is more fun and refreshing than New Super Mario Bros Wii (which is great, but basically a rehash with little challenge). This is some of the best platforming I've experienced in years complete with great momentum based gameplay that requires actual skill!

I suppose it isn't as spot on as some classics, but it works very well overall. It simply isn't as user friendly as something like Mario (unlike the first LR games).

I do think the soundtrack is an improvement from LocoRoco 2, but it still isn't as good as the original (which was just incredible). There are remixes and new tunes here while LR2 was pretty much all remixes that weren't even as good as the originals.

I would also like to see more background detail and some parallax in the future. I can see why they would not do it on PSP (keep it simple on the small screen), but I think retaining this art design with some additional detail would look awesome in 1080p on PS3.

I'm so glad this series was rescued. The PS3 "game" was just not fun for me and LocoRoco 2 was a total rehash. This has restored my faith in the team and makes it seem as if they finally figured out how to make a proper platform game.

batbeg

I think it's kind of harsh to refer to LocoRoco 2 as a "rehash" - after all, it definitely brought a huge boost to the general presentation and introduced a great many new mechanics to the formula. But yes, this is super refreshing, and I would love a LocoRoco 3 like nothing else, as this rethought the basic mechanics of LocoRoco. Glad to hear you liked it, too, though, as you're one of the good ones for this series.

Has anyone had any luck with beating it yet? I've been so swamped with so many other games that I never really got a chance to jump back into it, but to prevent myself from buying any more games in January/February I should have time to pick it up in the next few weeks.

I have decided to cheat, though. As I didn't know quite what I was supposed to do when you face the giant mojo, I've looked it up on youtube. I am shamed.

I found a secret passage on one of the last levels (with the conveyor belts), but it's hard as all get out to get there!

Also, new DLC is live today. Three new levels for $2.99.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ay-with-the-new-midnight-carnival-level-pack/
Greetings and Holiday Wishes!

We bring great news to our LocoRoco fans today!

NEW LEVELS!

We celebrated Halloween last October with LocoRoco- Midnight Carnival, introducing the craziest most challenging Loco adventure yet. Now for this holiday, we are releasing a 3 brand new levels on the PSN Store ($2.99) tomorrow! Perfect timing for those of you who want to get Loco during your break.

4204779750_0218e4a01c.jpg

The level pack includes 3 additional levels:

* Shamplin 3
* BungaBongo 1
* BuiBui Fort 3

Full of new challenges to navigate, we are sure these new levels will keep players of all skill levels busy till the new year.

For those of you who are STILL on the fence, this download pack can be applied to the free PSN demo as well! So if you’re hesitating on buying the full product ($14.99), you can try the bite size taste by getting these 3 levels for $2.99. If you like the 3 new levels, you can always come back for the full product!

Top Bottom