• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac says 60fps isn't worth it anymore.

Goldrusher

When there is a clear choice between framerate and improved graphics, graphics should win.
a drop in framerate is interestingly seen by some players as a reward for creating or forcing a complex setup in which a lot of things must happen on the screen at once. As in, “Damn! Did you see that? That was crazy!”
There is virtually no advantage in sales or reviews of a 60 fps game versus a 30 fps game.
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time will probably be Insomniac’s last 60fps game.

Wtf?

http://www.insomniacgames.com/blogcast/blog/mike_acton/1503082

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
But I love smoothness. NGII on 360 is a great example. If the framerate was lower, it wouldn't be the same for a game like that.

But he does bring up some good points. It really depends on the game, ultimately.

grumble

From a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense. Having a 60 fps game doesn't really change sales much as long as the 30 fps game doesn't dip below 30.

That being said, people should still push for 60 fps in games where smooth movement is essential, like racing games or fighting games.

As a consumer who wants everything, including perfect graphics and perfect fps, it's saddening, but then I remind myself how irrational I'm being and am okay with it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
•
A higher framerate does not significantly affect sales of a game.
•
A higher framerate does not significantly affect the reviews of a game.

If a COD game got released that was below 60 FPS, I bet this wouldn't hold true

I kinda feel the exact opposite....I mean, sure there's a level of graphics that's expected for the current gen of consoles. But man is 60 FPS awesome. I think the best examples of this are Forza and CoD

a drop in framerate is interestingly seen by some players as a reward for creating or forcing a complex setup in which a lot of things must happen on the screen at once. As in, “Damn! Did you see that? That was crazy!”
That's pretty hilarious.

I don't care about this as much as some people do, but when I play PC games (which I do as often as possible), I'll always take higher resolution and better framerate over higher graphical options.

They don't make racing games or fighting games, the two genres where it's important to have a 60fps framerate, so they're pretty much on point. Although it's obviously not going to make some people happy.

Zophar

Darkmakaimura said:
But I love smoothness. NGII on 360 is a great example. If the framerate was lower, it wouldn't be the same for a game like that.

But he does bring up some good points. It really depends on the game, ultimately.
You must've played some sort of godly version on NGII.

I don't really agree with what they're saying, but it is true that things like motion blur have matured to a point where it compensates well for smoothing out an image and still allows you to use your resources for flashier graphics.

AnIco

Good decision. Ratchet looks good for what it is, but it could look a lot better if they aimed for 30 fps and took longer to produce their games.

Just look at Uncharted 2. I hope Insomniac looks very closely at that game, particularly when it comes to all of the effects...HDR, shadowing, DOF, lighting, ambient occlusion, INSANE texture quality, etc. All at a steady 30 fps. Higher framerates are overrated for most games.

One problem I have with Insomniac games is that they have a certain sterility to them, and it's because the lighting model is flat and they don't push highly detailed textures.

I really would like to see Insomniac turn into an A studio rather than a B studio. A lot of that perception does have to do with their graphics. If they could compete with Naughty Dog, then their games would greatly benefit.

Chris Remo said:
That's pretty hilarious.

I don't care about this as much as some people do, but when I play PC games (which I do as often as possible), I'll always take higher resolution and better framerate over higher graphical options.
Especially in shooters, where stripping down the graphics for optimal performance is a must.

Totally agree with this, when it comes to my thoughts. It was kind of what made Ocarina of Time's final battle and Shadow of the Colossus more epic to me. Those games were working so hard to pump out sweet polygons.

Also, with the lower frame rate, it's more movie-like anyway, at least to me.

It might be because I grew up with a Nintendo 64, a system with low frame rates in many places...

Edit: I knew I'd be in the minority here. :lol

60fps is worth it if the framerate is locked. The latest Ratchet game is a mess as far as I'm concerned and I won't be buying it because of that. They should have locked the game at 30fps. I have no problem with 30fps at all but I do have a problem with devs who aim for 60 and then don't recognise that they can't keep it there.

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time will probably be Insomniac’s last 60fps game. No after playing the demo I would say that Tools of Destruction was IG last 60fps game.

DarkJC

To be honest I've never been on the 60 fps or bust bandwagon, lots of games are great at a locked 30 fps, depending on the genre. Hell, look at Uncharted. Amazing game, locked 30fps. With a game like Ratchet and Clank, if they can make it look even better and keep it at a rock solid 30, I think it could be in their benefit.

That being said, their games already look great. Even if R&C looked even better when slashing the framerate in half, I'm not sure that's going to translate into more sales for their games, if that's the goal.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
They're not lazy. It's just a trade-off. I'd be perfectly happy with a Ratchet game at 30fps, so long as they work to put the visuals on the same level as Uncharted.

On the other hand, competitive FPS's need to have 60fps to keep the input lag down.

Shame, Insomniac. A dev that strives to make gorgeous 60fps games on consoles today gets a lot more respect than others to me.

Especially Ratchet. Your amazing animations practically demand a solid 60fps. It wouldn't look nearly as impressive at 30.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

smh

Calcaneus

I can't say I agree, at all really. We should be past the point of choosing between 60 fps and 30. In a perfect world, every dev would be working to make the smoothest experience possible. The graphics will come.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
30 FPS is so effen gross. Only reason to sacrifice framerate would be pretty screenshots, which does absolutely ZERO for me as a buyer of games.

JB1981

EmCeeGramr said:
Maybe in Resistance 3 every time you shoot an enemy they can make the framerate suddenly drop. You know, as a reward.

Quote was taken out of context by OP. Try and read the link before making snarky comments.

Alex

As long as it's 30, I don't really care. The genres that benefit most from 60 FPS, fighting, driving, etc I'm not a fan of, so in this oddball case, I'll actually agree.

Just make sure vsync is on. No more fucking tearing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
How many 60fps games have there been this generation that mattered?
Call of Duty
DMC4 sold well
Sim racers

Assfrass

Are you guys shocked at the idea behind the quote or that people actually say things like that? We have threads here all the time with people calling 30 fps more cinematic and better for games. Or 30 fps + motion blur is more than good enough. Or stuff like that. Surely insomniac is not making this up.

duckroll

As long as Insomniac keeps making games I don't give a fuck about, they can continue to have terribly misguided and retarded development opinions. What a bunch of losers. :lol

I can understand their point of view, as a developper what matters for them are reviews and sales. But as a gamer, the same visuals at 60fps look much better than the same at 30fps. I plays better too.

After reading that I'm not surprised that there are slowdowns in the Clank demo of A Crack in Time.

Fuck, I would really like a Resistance 3 at 60fps :(

Top Bottom