• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Monster (new DS game from the makers of Hatsworth)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/104/1043020p1.html

project-monster-20091106084049435-000.jpg

project-monster-20091106084035357-000.jpg

project-monster-20091106043451587.jpg

The game looks awesome! Hope it's as good as Henry Hatsworth. I searched, but didn't find anything, so sorry if old.

The art looks a bit generic to be honest. Hatsworth had this quirky bizarre uniqueness to it, which this lacks with tweens and pet monsters.

Hopefully the gameplay will be great, but I really lost interest in Hatsworth fast with all the "trapped in room, kill enemies to advance" stuff.

DarkYabu

I think it looks pretty slick. I loved Hatsworth and this sounds like it's pretty much the same team. I think the concept sounds interesting as well. Can't wait to see more.

I wish they would have described the game mechanics in a little more detail in the article. What do the meters on the bottom screen mean? The top one looks like the monsters energy but the other one has an S on one end and a croissant on the other. Maybe a special or super gauge....... But what does the croissant mean?!?!?

SecretBonusPoint said:
The art looks a bit generic to be honest. Hatsworth had this quirky bizarre uniqueness to it, which this lacks with tweens and pet monsters.

Hopefully the gameplay will be great, but I really lost interest in Hatsworth fast with all the "trapped in room, kill enemies to advance" stuff.

The art/appeal to Henry Hatsworth was definitely thanks to the talent of Jay Epperson. Project Monster doesn't look bad I think, I actually await to see the environments. I hope the backdrops are as inspired and interesting as hatsworth was or even more so.

wrowa

Doesn't like the artwork, but the screens are looking great. Kinda reminds me of the latest Wario Land games.

Sipowicz

Banned
looks awesome

hatsworth had it's problems but it was really charming and had some cool ideas. hopefully they find a better publisher this time though

Gilgamesh

Holy shit! Hatsworth was amazing and this looks fantastic! Sprites look just as great as I would expect from the team, so I hope they can craft another great love letter to the gameplay of old platformers again.

Long live 2D!

IGN: That's great. Metroid definitely seemed like a strong inspiration, which fits in perfectly with the other old school source material.

Ong: Exactly. One of the most compelling reasons we decided to go that route is that a more open-ended exploration-based structure is a better fit for the RPG-like growth, customization, and skill development that occurs with the Pet Character.
Oh god, Metroidvania! Yes!

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
SecretBonusPoint said:

Yeah, losing Jay was a big loss for that team. I'd love to see him do more 2D game art

Henry Hatsworth was a very strong debut for these guys. This looks totally rad and hopefully they've learned from their previous experience in terms of creating a smooth balance curve for this game.

If anyone is fiending for Jay Epperson artwork, apparently Hatsworth director Kyle Gray is working on an indie game project with him (which may or may not be the project he's working on with World of Goo's Kyle Gabler) so keep an eye out for that.

It's disappointing that they didn't go into greater detail on how the monster raising works, but it seems like the team is just at an early beta stage, and probably don't have all the mechanics completely worked out.

Didn't like Hatsworth much (I found it incohesive and rather irritating to play) but this looks good enough. Always nice to see attractive 2D platformers still being made, in any case.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
isn't the creative director of Hatsworth no longer with EA?

(wait, is this even an EA game?)

Rez said:
isn't the creative director of Hatsworth no longer with EA?

(wait, is this even an EA game?)

Basically everyone who worked on Hatsworth (all 10 of them, lol) left EA. About 75% of them formed DreamRift, which is making this game. Kyle Gray, the director of HH, left on his own and is working with Jay Epperson, the artist who created the look of HH, on a different, unrelated game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
charlequin said:
Basically everyone who worked on Hatsworth (all 10 of them, lol) left EA. About 75% of them formed DreamRift, which is making this game. Kyle Gray, the director of HH, left on his own and is working with Jay Epperson, the artist who created the look of HH, on a different, unrelated game.
Interesting.

Thanks for clearing that up!

madara

Holy Japanese blowfish, you mean the ds can do visuals other then ugly lego polys? Sweet honey, I'll gladly be your queen.

Sounds awesome. I just hope the mechanics stay fresh throughout the game. I liked Hatsworth, but juggling enemies and constantly switching to the puzzle screen got old after a while.

Johann

Urban Scholar said:
The art/appeal to Henry Hatsworth was definitely thanks to the talent of Jay Epperson. Project Monster doesn't look bad I think, I actually await to see the environments. I hope the backdrops are as inspired and interesting as hatsworth was or even more so.

The in-game artwork is very reminiscent of the work from flash game developer Megadev, especially for their Knightfall games.

I couldn't stand to do puzzles every 5 seconds in Hatsworth, so I had to skip it. That, and the level design was pretty meh, but I only played the first world so maybe it got better. Hopefully the monster aspect (RPG elements? ugh) doesn't ruin this one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Allan Holdsworth said:
I couldn't stand to do puzzles every 5 seconds in Hatsworth, so I had to skip it. That, and the level design was pretty meh, but I only played the first world so maybe it got better. Hopefully the monster aspect (RPG elements? ugh) doesn't ruin this one.
you were doing it wrong.

Macam

Banned
Just stumbled across the news blurbs about this game. It looks really promising; like a little Treasure-tinged Astro Boy with some Pokemon-esque character building elements. I'm a sucker for action games with depth and this looks like it'll deliver. Hopefully, it gets picked up because I can't wait to play it.

Looking forward to this game.

Gonna start a thread asking people for their list of good DS 2D Plateformers soon.

. . . In fact I think I should get started on it now!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, what's this?
A Metroidvania-like?
Skipped out on Hatsworth, but this one might actually be up my alley.

as much as i love difficult games, hatsworth was insufferable at times. here's hoping this one spices it up a little and smooths out its difficulty

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm in as long as they don't have stages that last 1+ hours (that killed Hatsworth for me, also the difficulty at the end was insane...)

Haunted

The saturday morning cartoon art is a serious turnoff for me. But more platformers are a good thing, so please proceed!

charlequin said:
No offense to the team making Project Monster, but that game seems to be the one to look out for.

Top Bottom