• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Langdell still a giant bag of shit - Edge gets pulled AGAIN

LCfiner

Kunan said:
It's ironic because he calls his ME clone Mirrors a game by Edge

that’s not irony. he actually doesn’t have an ME clone. He chose that name on purpose to try to get EA to pay him money for using the word Edge in their game.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
EA is trying.

This blog seems to be following the comedy pretty closely, and they're attempting to help Mobigame pay for their legal dispute with that trademark-law exploiting prick.

http://chaosedge.wordpress.com/

Defined 'marks' like iPod I can understand, but 'Edge' is a word. Used daily. Edge of U2 should sue this fucktard and end the bullshit.

Kunan

LCfiner said:
that’s not irony. he actually doesn’t have an ME clone. He chose that name on purpose to try to get EA to pay him money for using the word Edge in their game.
Yea I know, I used poor wording.

Slavik81

Apple decides what stays and what goes. Unless there was an injunction, the fact that it was unfairly pulled is the fault of Apple.

laserbeam

Banned
Yeah Honestly at this point Apple is the bigger bag of shit. They know he is a troll. They should tell him where to go and if he want to get fiesty let him.

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:

People misunderstand the issue with Mirror's (a game by) Edge. Tim claimed that Mirror's Edge could be mistaken for his company trademark "Edge". To PROVE it, he made a webpage with "Mirrors (a game by) Edge". Because it was so ridiculous, everyone flocked to it to mock it's ridiculousness. Then, with all the page hits, Tim claimed that was proof of confusion. Circle argument.

It infuriates me just thinking about it.

mrkgoo

boutrosinit said:
EA is trying.

This blog seems to be following the comedy pretty closely, and they're attempting to help Mobigame pay for their legal dispute with that trademark-law exploiting prick.

http://chaosedge.wordpress.com/

Defined 'marks' like iPod I can understand, but 'Edge' is a word. Used daily. Edge of U2 should sue this fucktard and end the bullshit.

There isn't anything wrong with having a trademark that is a common word (after all you can't always just make up words all the time or every product will sound ridiculous). Apple, Office, Windows, etc. are all fine, and should be defendable. The problem is that Tim goes after things purely as a basis to make money, as opposed to just defending his trademark. He tries to claim everything that is made by other people as part of his doing (under license of his trademark), just to make a bigger case for the next instance. He really is abusing it. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with trademarking a common word and defending it.

mrkgoo

Hmmm.

Interestingly, during all the past ruckus when Edge was pulled previously, it was only off the US (and I think UK) app store. It was always still present on the NZ appstore. Either something inherent has changed int eh appstore to unify everything, or something bigger is up, because Edge is now missing on the NZ appstore too.

mrkgoo

laserbeam said:
Yeah Honestly at this point Apple is the bigger bag of shit. They know he is a troll. They should tell him where to go and if he want to get fiesty let him.

It's possible that Tim has all the correct rights, so if he asked Apple to pull it, and he has legal rights, who is Apple to argue? They could get sued - it's not their battle.

Kusagari

laserbeam said:

If they don't pull it, he'll probably try to get into a frivolous lawsuit with them. Apple has no reason to defend the Edge game, it's not worth the effort.

Forkball

Only one man can end this fiasco:
edge.jpg

laserbeam said:

Fuck yes!! Fuck him, Fuck Apple for allowing their cash cows(devs)to be bullied like this. This guy has pissed me off for so long. I really hope EA dismantles him.

Alts

The first time Edge got pulled, it was actually at the request of Mobigame. After all the support they got then, though, I don't suspect they would be the ones doing it this time.

mrkgoo

Buttonbasher said:
Everyone should take this time to download Mobigames new game CROSS FINGERS! :D
crossfingers.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N060Ti6EZFc

It's sooooo amazing.

It's not that amazing. It's OK. There is some novelty to set it apart from other block shifting puzzles (it really is like tangrams in a block slider, games that I both like), and while it's pretty neat, I'm not going to call it amazing. Controls aren't SPOT-ON, but that may be a limitation in game design - I can see why they have don it the way they have.

I'm not going to recommend it just because it's Mobigames.

zoku88

This is probably one of the many reasons why it's probably not the best idea to have a centralized App Store (at least, not a good idea for the consumers.)

zoku88 said:
This is probably one of the many reasons why it's probably not the best idea to have a centralized App Store (at least, not a good idea for the consumers.)

Uh-oh. What's the difference between this and Steam, etc.? The guy is a douche no matter what color you paint him.

Psy-Phi

Glad I bought it when I did. Half the reason I didn't care what the cost was, is because I feared something like this might happen again.

Of all the knock-off games on the App Store...this game doesn't deserve this.

Eurogamer said:
Strangely, the statement goes on to distance Langdell from the painstaking defence of the treasured Edge trademark in recent years.

"[Langdell] serves as CEO of this corporation at the pleasure of the Edge Board. His actions are merely those the Board directs him to take," we're told.

That sounds totally true and not just a sad attempt to stop his name from being equal to mud worldwide.

LiK

reminds me of the clothing line Polo suing a store that sold Polo equipment calling itself Polo Store (or something like that), lol

mrkgoo said:
It's not that amazing. It's OK. There is some novelty to set it apart from other block shifting puzzles (it really is like tangrams in a block slider, games that I both like), and while it's pretty neat, I'm not going to call it amazing. Controls aren't SPOT-ON, but that may be a limitation in game design - I can see why they have don it the way they have.

I'm not going to recommend it just because it's Mobigames.
I just like it because of the multi-touch stuff. I find myself contorting my hands in cool ways to solve puzzles. Solving them is super satisfying to me as well.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
mrkgoo said:
There isn't anything wrong with having a trademark that is a common word (after all you can't always just make up words all the time or every product will sound ridiculous). Apple, Office, Windows, etc. are all fine, and should be defendable. The problem is that Tim goes after things purely as a basis to make money, as opposed to just defending his trademark. He tries to claim everything that is made by other people as part of his doing (under license of his trademark), just to make a bigger case for the next instance. He really is abusing it. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with trademarking a common word and defending it.
Kind of the point. There is no trademark for windows, office, apple, etc. Microsoft actually tried trademarking windows once and the judge threw it right out. You might be confused in that there are trademarks for Microsoft Windows, Microsoft office, office xp, apple computers, etc. The fact is that you CANT trademark words that are considered to be in the public domain which is the whole bullshit with the edge controversy. The fact is that he has NEVER legally defended the bs trademark because the companies in question will usually either settle or more often change names. I too had thought that EA was going to legally call into question his trademark, but given the lack of movement my guess is that he backed off.

Edit - that is to say you can't trademark singular words in the public domain. So you can't trademark "the", "booger", or "man", but you could register "the booger man". His trademark has already been called bullshit by a number of notable gaming lawyers. Problem is someone needs to fight his clIm with the USPTO to have it rejected and no one has felt like putting up the time and money for that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
boutrosinit said:

The idea is that the law is intended to prevent confusion. What would happen if another computer company started calling themselves "Apple Computers"?

That being said, Edge has been a dead company for years. Langdell is nothing but a patent troll, now.

iammeiam

Ugh. I somehow missed the app showing back up on the App Store; I'd totally buy it had I known, but it getting back on the store doesn't get half the attention of it getting yanked off again.

Now all I really want is for somebody to go out and trademark EGDE gaming, then wait for Langdell to typo somewhere and commence the law suiting.

I mean, based on the linked information, it looks like the man set up his own (fake)British Acadamey of Interactive Arts and Sciences solely for the purpose of letting his wife claim he set up AIAS in his wikipedia page. And he's bitching about people possibly causing confusion?

I really, really want to see EA step on him repeatedly.

mosaic

go eat paint
I am surprised that one of the corporate owners of one of these smaller companies has not simply paid someone to have Langdell killed... particularly some of the Japanese or Eastern European companies. With Russia and Eastern Europe getting into game development in a big way, you're playing with fire if you pursue frivolous lawsuits against companies with dubious owners that have lots of cash.

Dude must live in a compound.

Burger

It's funny reading that blog. He burns the games himself onto a blank CD, and prints out a cover on his inkjet printer. He also sells fuck all of them (read none), presumably because the games are shit, and he can't afford any marketing.

I love how his complaint refers to the EDGE "Board" as directing him to pursue this course of action. Everyone knows that the EDGE "Board" consists of Mr. Langdell, Mrs. Langdell and 'Brucie' the labrador.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Slavik81 said:
Apple decides what stays and what goes. Unless there was an injunction, the fact that it was unfairly pulled is the fault of Apple.

Sorry, but that's bull. As wrong as it is that Langdell was awarded these trademarks, he was still awarded them by the US PTO and they are still legally enforceable. Apple has absolutely no grounds to refuse to uphold them. This isn't their fight.

Mobigame are going to have to keep their heads down until EA get Langdell to court.

sangreal

ZealousD said:
The idea is that the law is intended to prevent confusion. What would happen if another computer company started calling themselves "Apple Computers"?

They'd get sued by Apple Corps?

ZealousD

sangreal said:
They'd get sued by Apple Corps?

Ding ding ding!

And I actually don't think people here would complain, despite how common the word "apple" is.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i hate to talk about people looks, but god damn that fucker is one ugly bastard. Hes got that creepy child abductor smile too. Its hard to see behind that huge fucking beak but its there.

Nikashi

Banned
ZealousD said:
Ding ding ding!

And I actually don't think people here would complain, despite how common the word "apple" is.

Which would be a good analogy if Mobigames started releasing titles as 'Edge Games'. However, they're releasing a GAME called 'Edge'. It'd be more like Sony releasing a game called "Apple".

ZealousD

Nikashi said:
Which would be a good analogy if Mobigames started releasing titles as 'Edge Games'. However, they're releasing a GAME called 'Edge'. It'd be more like Sony releasing a game called "Apple".

Hmm.. I guess so. The law really doesn't see a difference though, right?

Nikashi

Banned
ZealousD said:
Hmm.. I guess so. The law really doesn't see a difference though, right?

It'd be easier to sort through everything if Tim Langdell himself didn't routinely plain make shit up about past use of his trademark.

Top Bottom