• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink Delayed Until Fall 2010, First Ingame Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
UPDATE:

New videos showing far more gameplay:

Hatchman said:
Just putting the two Objective videos into one post...

Container city 1 video:

http://g4tv.com/videos/43026/Exclusive-Brink-Preview-Objective-Perspective-Part-1/

Container city 2 video:

http://g4tv.com/videos/43027/Exclusive-Brink-Preview-Objective-Perspective-Part-2/

Confirms full drop in / drop out support for 8 players co-op

Edit:

Sorry, it seems I missed Part 3: http://g4tv.com/videos/43028/Exclusive_Brink_Preview_Objective_Perspective_Part_3/

-------------

Original Post:

Well, it seems Brink was delayed until Fall 2010, but they did decide to release the first ingame footage.

Footage: http://g4tv.com/videos/43012/Exclusive_Brink_Playing_Smart_Freedom_of_Movement_Preview/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Good. It didn't seem far enough along or promoted enough to do well at the beginning of the year. Of course, delay to fall is always nasty because if stuff crowds up or the game doesn't quite meet a polishing deadline, then you've got to delay to spring again.

I have to be honest, I have absolutely no confidence in Bethesda as a publisher beyond Elder Scrolls and Fallout. The vast majority of their other published titles have been poor and ignored. I suspect Rogue Warrior is about to utterly bomb. Brink looks decent and Splash Damage are good pedigree, so let's hope Bethesda gets their act together.

Firestorm

Called it. No way that was coming out in the spring. The game is absolutely amazing sounding though. I'm super-hyped for it.

8-Player Co-op, on-the-fly difficulty control in the form of changing missions (with associated XP bonuses), player-controlled enemies in campaign, Mirror's Edge-style physicality and parkour

Edit: oh nvm they only show SMART in this video. The actual game was really cool looking (as well as the colour palette) at PAX

RainbowByte

Neo Member
I like the smart free running mechanic, its something that i've been dying to see integrated with an fps.
Glad its delayed, I really don't want this game rushed. I love the art style too
hype++

Chrange

Banned
It's going to go up against both Halo Reach (I think that's Fall 2010, right?) and the next Call of Duty (Fall, 2010 guaranteed)? Sounds like a tough task for a new IP.

Grayman

Chrange said:
It's going to go up against both Halo Reach (I think that's Fall 2010, right?) and the next Call of Duty (Fall, 2010 guaranteed)? Sounds like a tough task for a new IP.
It won't be a massive seller like those but the people who want a splash damage game may not give a flying fuck about either of those. I'm not positive, just "may not"

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Told you guys about the Mirror's Edge movement! :)

And this airport level and the gun he is holding is not showing at all how amazing this game looks. I wish they would release it during summer. It annoys me that publishers stay away from summer, I think games would do really well. I will buy it no matter when it's released, but seeing it delayed to fall does make me a bit sad.

Still a lot of great games in spring. But it seems jan-mar is packed, but what about apr-aug?

For me it was the best game, that was showed at the GamesCom. I like the combination of coop games, battlefield and Mirrors Edge. definitely better then the new CoD that will release in 2010. Give the game a try!

Alphahawk

Fun fact: I thought that this thread was about the XBLA version of Bonk until I read the reply about it competing against the new Call of Duty and Halo games. Needless to say this thread was very confusing upon first reading.

spats

I love the general art style and the way it looks. And the smart movement is a neat idea, sort of. I can see it being over-finicky and not working as intended half the time. :I

"NO run, don't slide! I was barely pointing down!"

*death*

Delay was probably a good idea.

I'm very interested. At first I was getting vibes like from that LucasArts terraforming game.

Now, though, this seems like something right up my ally. Hopefully it's more fluid that ME was.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Grayman said:
It won't be a massive seller like those but the people who want a splash damage game may not give a flying fuck about either of those. I'm not positive, just "may not"

Bethesda sure gives a flying fuck since it's their millions of dollars on the line.

Grayman

Thunderbear said:
Told you guys about the Mirror's Edge movement! :)

And this airport level and the gun he is holding is not showing at all how amazing this game looks. I wish they would release it during summer. It annoys me that publishers stay away from summer, I think games would do really well. I will buy it no matter when it's released, but seeing it delayed to fall does make me a bit sad.

Still a lot of great games in spring. But it seems jan-mar is packed, but what about apr-aug?
was it last year or the one before where GTA, MGS, and GT5p all came out in apr-aug?

Grayman

Sinatar said:
Bethesda sure gives a flying fuck since it's their millions of dollars on the line.
They must think they have it under control if they are releasing in that time frame.

Didn't look like the obvious bullshot screenshots from before but thats okay, and to be expected, not sure why they were being defended so vehemently.

Looks interesting enough, could have done without the generic story but games gotta have a setting I guess. Just remains to be seen if it'll try to take itself too seriously with its obvious jovial appearance. I hope it doesn't.

EVIL

grr wanted to see the vid badly, so in exitement I clicked trough the birthdate thing and now I'm locked out in seeing the video.

"The selected video is intended for mature viewers, please choose another"

n0n44m

spats said:
I love the general art style and the way it looks. And the smart movement is a neat idea, sort of. I can see it being over-finicky and not working as intended half the time. :I

"NO run, don't slide! I was barely pointing down!"

*death*

I think the idea is that if you simply want to run through you don't use the SMART button, and only if you do use the button you look either up or down (in the security gate example)

but yeah correct implementation is going to be vital, but I already love the idea (and the looks of the environments and its cartoony characters)

hope that the gunplay is good as well =]

The facial features are all messed up, but the texture are realistic and the two don't mix well to my eyes. The charaters just look like they all suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome.

joesmokey

Sorry to be completely off topic, but why doesn't this video load for me in Firefox :/. I have to open it in IE8 (Chrome doesn't load either) in order to actually play anything.

pmj

joesmokey said:
Sorry to be completely off topic, but why doesn't this video load for me in Firefox :/. I have to open it in IE8 (Chrome doesn't load either) in order to actually play anything.
I get a white box in both Firefox and Chrome, but in my case I think it's because I block doubleclick from doing whatever the site wants it be doing. I can't watch this at all.

YouTube?

jett

D-Member
So, the SMART button is another way of saying "hey we ripped off Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge and refuse to acknowledge them".

Foxix Von

Saw a 30 minute demo of this at PAX (and subsequently got a free t-shirt woot) and what they showed for being so early in it's development cycle was pretty good. My only real concern is that during the demo the "SMART" button was assigned to the A button rather than an analog click or bumper.

If you don't get what I mean, in order for you to vault over an object, climb it, or slide under it you would have to be actively holding down the A button which means you can't redirect where your looking with the right stick in order to leap over something without stopping.

Which really limits the whole effectiveness of free running.

VQ

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
joesmokey said:
Your FireFox flash plug-in might be corrupting. Reinstalling it generally fixes the problem whenever that happens to me.

Foxix Von

jett said:
So, the SMART button is another way of saying "hey we ripped off Assassins Creed and Mirrors Edge and refuse to acknowledge them".

Not exactly, in mirror's edge you had a button for duck and a button for jumping over. Brink's SMART thing consolidates all those functions into a single poorly mapped context sensitive sprint button. I haven't touched assassin's creed in a while so I can't really comment on that in comparison.

VQ

yurinka

jett said:
As I remember, Mirror Edge had 2 separate buttons to climb and to slide. I don't remember Assassin's Creed's button mapping.

Pctx

Banned
jett said:

practice02 said:
Trollin' hard?
Ahem....

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 03:20 PM)
Reply | Quote

Aside from that--- the idea looks interesting but I'm not sure about the execution of it. I do think the game looks like a FPS w/ Mirror's Edge like interactions but I'm not sure what that means.

Still too early to tell how this is going to shape up and if it will really be a game changer or just a gimmick.

Kittonwy

Banned
I don't know why but when I was watching the video I got a bit dizzy, is it the framerate or just that pistol swinging back and forth? The reticle seems to be pretty steady. The lighting looks very good but the art style of the character models seems a bit weird. I don't really get the point of the smart button, I would prefer auto-climb while jumping at a higher ledge or pressing crouch while running for a slide, basically minimizing the need to hold down a button for a long time or having to look up/down to perform an action, the longer the game keeps the player from being able to aim the more awkward it is as a shooter.

TTG

I hope it has enough of other gameplay mechanics to make up for what looks like a castrated mirror's edge system.

jett said:

Basically. It does look very cool though. Definitely not a fan of the characters but the game looks like it has potential.

jett

D-Member
It really burns me when developers don't acknowledge the obvious inspirations behind their games and worse try to sell something as TEH INNOVATIVE. Brink looks kind of interesting at least compared to your average shooter.

Foxix said:
Not exactly, in mirror's edge you had a button for duck and a button for jumping over. Brink's SMART thing consolidates all those functions into a single poorly mapped context sensitive sprint button. I haven't touched assassin's creed in a while so I can't really comment on that in comparison.

VQ

AC also has a, let's say "context sensitive" button that allows you to interact vertically with the environment when you hold it down.

...but yeah SMART goes off the deep end on the second part of the video.

No_Style

Kittonwy said:
I don't know why but when I was watching the video I got a bit dizzy, is it the framerate or just that pistol swinging back and forth?

I believe it's the framerate. It seemed really poor.

The game looks interesting. I love the same dot with circle reticle found in many Wolf:ET and the the other games id/Splash Damage worked on. :D

jett said:
It really burns me when developers don't acknowledge the obvious inspirations behind their games and worse try to sell something as TEH INNOVATIVE. Brink looks kind of interesting at least compared to your average shooter.

AC also has a, let's say "context sensitive" button that allows you to interact vertically with the environment when you hold it down.

...but yeah SMART goes off the deep end on the second part of the video.
All you see is the aesthetic and you don't know what's under the hood, but I guess I'm forgetting that I'm on the internet. Judge first question later and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom