• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2010 Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
29w30cy.jpg
DESKTOP Thread : JANUARY 2010 EDITION​
2lw89y0.jpg

So throughout each desktop threads. A lot of things have been asked over and over again.
And so I figured, this'd be a great way to possibly help out. So we have our own little,tiny and small guide to Desktop threads.

How do I make a screenshot of my desktop?

• It's easy, press the “printscreen button” or “PRNTSCRN” as it's sometimes labeled.
    Now, open up “Paint” in program files. Or any other image editing software you have on your system. Right click → Paste. Or CRTL+v. On a blank canvas . And there's your desktop. If it's too big resize it to a smaller size.

So you want to get these awesome icons and styles you see on other people's desktops?

First you need certain apps such as:
33bll3c.jpg
Click here to download

• Then you download the theme/icon set, whatever you want to call it. For instance this one is for my ( clock and weather) http://lifehacker.com/5084412/configure-your-own-rainmeter-10+foot-hud
    Extract. With Winrar and and copy the extracted folder into
    Program files ->Rainmeter-> Skins
    Open Rainmeter, right click → configs and there you should see your skin name. Click on it to display. That's it. You're done!

zl57de.jpg

Looks great huh?
Get it here and follow the instructions above. However, you will need another version of Rainmeter (0.14) instead of the one above. Which you can get here please uninstall your previously downloaded version in order for that theme to work on your Rainmeter.

I don't have Photoshop. I can't edit images!!
24bnk12.jpg
Get GIMP!

Someone posted their desktop. But they haven't sourced it!!!

fn9tuq.jpg
Is your best friend. It'll magically find the pic you want, in all sizes!

• Here's also a great source of Desktop apps and other software applications:
    www.Lifehacker.com

Are you a Mac user?
Don't worry there's stuff for you too!

100% thanks to GAF's own Jasoco for bringing it up :
-------------------------------------
Wanna get those album art displays you see on people's desktops?

258b145.jpg

Get CD Art Display
---------------------------------------------
You can also get this awesome NeoGAF Stylish script. Click the image to find out how :

• Please POST SOURCE. If you can't post your source for some reason. Say it in your post and GAF detective work will find source if enough requests are made.
  • It would also be great if you could post sources for your icon sets. If this isn't possible. Don't worry too much about it. Anything you bring up will be added to the OP.

If you have any recommendations. Please bring them up. Remember sharing is what the internet is all about.

So please! Show us what your desktop looks like!

My current desktop wally:
2sanv5e.jpg

Source

xrich

Banned
Jube3 said:
http://2daystilsunday.com/links/jandesktop.jpg[IMG]
Source - [URL="1920x1080"]http://2daystilsunday.com/links/forzawallpaper/ferrariwallpaper_1920.jpg[URL][/QUOTE]

is that forza thing part of the steam skin? if not, what skin is that?

Ventrue said:
Well, let's hope the movie is available in widescreen, at least.
Yeah I was surprised they didn't offer widescreen versions, I just added a bit more white space on the right hand side to fill them out.

Enosh

2h6swzm.jpg

source is the offician avatar webpage (and croped to fit 16:10 since movie websites still can't be bothered to release widescreen wallpapers -.-)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What are you guys using to get the time and date in the wallpaper? I'm guessing it updates itself right?

Also, what is that Gmail icon you have in your taskbar EvilMario?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Still cycling pics of musicians. Currently, this pic of Zach Condon from Beirut. Billions is a great place for high res pics of musicians.

robox

34t7bs5.jpg

not sure i like having the task bar on the left, as i tend to move my mouse all the way to the side and it brings a preview up that blocks off stuff. but there's just so much horizontal space, maybe too much, that it makes more sense than the traditional bottom location. putting it on the right just seems kinda not too useful.

Jayge

I'm so cheap that I'm still using the Windows 7 RC. Which is pretty stupid of me, but whatever. I'll buy the real one in a few weeks. Desktop is a hi-res concept art image for Guild Wars 2, you can find it on GiantBomb.com.

2s9oo5z.png

2e4w5lj.jpg

from chapter 200(I think) of boxing manga, Hajime no Ippo where(at that point) the most powerful featherweights are fighting for the Japanese title. tiger vs. wolf

source

Boogie9IGN

r - b - x said:
34t7bs5.jpg

not sure i like having the task bar on the left, as i tend to move my mouse all the way to the side and it brings a preview up that blocks off stuff. but there's just so much horizontal space, maybe too much, that it makes more sense than the traditional bottom location. putting it on the right just seems kinda not too useful.

Source plz <3

bengraven

The Wispy Scoundrel said:

Ha! I saw that and was like "wow, that kind of looks like Wispy's gf, I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed that?". Then I saw it was Wispy.

Long night.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
As always, I rotate depending on my mood. Here are the ones I'll be cycling through this month. Sized-down for thread scrolling purposes. Click for source.

2hunger_hi_19x12-desktop.png

Can't find source. Got it from a link to nvidia or some other graphics site, linked in last month's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom