• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA games with server shutdowns Feb 2nd 2010

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Highlighted all the current-gen games in bold.

Is it just me or are they shutting down Madden 09 pretty early?

http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates

February 2, 2010 Online Service Shutdown

UEFA Champions League 07 PC and x360
Facebreaker x360 and PS3
Fantasy Football 09 x360 and PS3

FIFA 07 PSP, PS2, PC
Fight Night Round 3 PS2
Madden 08 Wii
Madden 08 PC
Madden 09 Xbox1
Madden 09 Wii and PSP
March Madness 07 x360
NBA 07 PSP, x360
NBA 08 PS2, PSP, Wii
NBA 09 Wii - Europe only
NBA Street (2007) PS3 and x360

NCAA Football 08 PS2
NCAA Football 09 PS2
NASCAR 08 PS2
NASCAR 09 PS2
NASCAR 09 PS3 and x360 - Europe Only
NFL Tour PS3 and x360
NHL 07 PSP and x360

NHL 08 PC
Tiger Woods 07 PC
Madden 09 x360 and PS3
Madden 07 Xbox 360

Anony

sucks for all those 09 games
makes not sense to shutdown the servers, bunch of greedy sobs

then again, i have no pity for those who buy yearly sports titles

Benedict

Either they will stop selling new games yearly and going with payed seasonal updates/DLC only with the next batch... or EA are digging their own grave.

Blablurn

ezekial45 said:
So how big of a flop was Facebreaker?

nlshoo.jpg

i wrote a review about it. it was a pretty terrible game :(

-viper-

Banned
I don't understand. Are these games all games with dedicated servers or are they P2P games? If they're P2P, then surely shutting down the servers shouldn't matter?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
-viper- said:
I don't understand. Are these games all games with dedicated servers or are they P2P games? If they're P2P, then surely shutting down the servers shouldn't matter?
I think EA servers are just used for authentication purposes, I think the games themselves are P2P... but if you can't get to the auth servers, then you can't play the game online. :D

Foil

Should be fun when they shut down 1943's servers and thus render the game 100% useless.

This type of stuff is bs.

Most of those games probably only have a minimal online user base, but closing 09 madden IMO is just to push sales of the new copy, hate that shit.

-viper- said:
EA are anal and have their own login service despite going through live/psn or peer to peer. So they can lock out any game when ever they want.

Ea have way too much power over shit like this, for instance they would have probably ignored the 360 online if MS did not allow them to use their own login service over live.

Massa

Foil said:
Should be fun when they shut down 1943's servers and thus render the game 100% useless.

Probably after a few months of disappointing BC2 sales.

Deku

Banned
Games advertised as having online content (free or otherwise) having their servers shut down only a few years after release is really unacceptable.

But I echo the sentiment that I have no real pity for those who buy yearly sports updates from EA, but still, what a strange thing to do for a games company.

Alphahawk

I wonder how many people would buy the next Madden if EA didn't shut down the previous years server. Probably more than I'd like to imagine...

Fox Mulder

Diablohead said:
Most of those games probably only have a minimal online user base, but closing 09 madden IMO is just to push sales of the new copy, hate that shit.

Madden 10 has been out since August, and you can get it for cheap used. If they really wanted to only push sales, they would have shutdown Madden 09's server the day before Madden 10 came out.

Nobody ever really cares when EA does this because the communities move on. It does screw people who want achievements though, but if there were even enough of those players, these games wouldn't get shut down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-viper- said:

... EA servers use a dedicated server. BF/other games use this server.

Even if they don't, EA servers MUST be connected to to play EA games peer-to-peer as EA WILL NOT use MS/Sony's servers AT ALL.

This was the agreement that MS signed to get Madden on X-box Live back in 2003. And, unless it's changed this is the issue you have with EA's games.

Diablohead said:
EA are anal and have their own login service despite going through live/psn or peer to peer. So they can lock out any game when ever they want.

Ea have way too much power over shit like this, for instance they would have probably ignored the 360 online if MS did not allow them to use their own login service over live.
Remember when EA didn't have any games online on XB1? They didn't support LIVE until they saw it was too big

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Foil said:

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, that is an online only game that still has a good number of players daily. Most of those games being shut down most likely have no one playing them anyway and this won't effect many.

See, this is why MS should allow any third party company to run servers for Xbox Live. Gold subscribers pay a lot of money to play their games online. Shutting down online play after 16-18 months is inexcusable imo. Even Xbox 1 games run fine nowadays.

bengraven

jamesinclair said:
Madden 09 Xbox1

Did this blow anybody else's mind????

How many copies were printed?

Its going for $70 new and used on ebay.

Can't have come out in America, surely?! :eek:

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bengraven said:
Can't have come out in America, surely?! :eek:

Uh, I'm pretty sure it did. Or at least on of the newer maddens did. I forget the actual "cut-off" date, but there was some X-box games still in the pipeline a year or two ago.

KingJ2002

DJ Crimson said:
Fuck them, bring back a spiritual sequel to NBA Street Vol. 2 for PSN/XBLA.
I agree. If EA can't justify selling NBA street as a full felged retail title... Then sell it on xbla / psn.

You already have some customers waiting to purchase.

YoungHav

Banned
Well fuck them for doing this. Madden '09 is less than 2yrs old and already cutoff? EA games will be brought from the used market from now on.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Benjamin1981 said:
See, this is why MS should allow any third party company to run servers for Xbox Live. Gold subscribers pay a lot of money to play their games online. Shutting down online play after 16-18 months is inexcusable imo. Even Xbox 1 games run fine nowadays.

EA would make Madden a PS3 exclusive then. That would be a system seller.
They threatened to before, and EA does have the power in this case- Madden's a huge seller.

Top Bottom