• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a first? FuturePress posts trailer for upcoming strategy guide (Bayonetta)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's hosted over at Eurogamer. The gist of it is basically "we will teach you how to do this" if you follow our guide if you read between the lines. I don't think there's a strategy guide planned for US release, so I'm guessing this would be Europe only?

I can't recall a strategy guide ever getting a trailer. Start of a new trend perhaps?

EDIT: Youtube link.

Its taken us more than 8 months to completely master Bayonetta. 6,000 incredible hours of testing, observation and intense play, and over 200,000 words to record our experience on more than 400 pages. The result is possibly the most complete guide available for any game. Bayonetta deserves to be mastered, and this guide is your key!

Swag

This kind of reminds me of all the make 10k gold in 3 days videos for those WoW guides. Although those weren't anything near official

sh4mike

I contacted Future Press a few weeks ago and was told the US guide was cancelled. Same response from BradyGames. Ordered the JPN Climax guide for a rather expensive $40 shipped to USA.

If they now release an English guide for Europe, I'll be disappointed in my decision.

Cetra

What a damned shame that guide won't be released in the US. Seriously considering ordering the EU version, I am.

MrDaravon

sh4mike said:
I contacted Future Press a few weeks ago and was told the US guide was cancelled. Same response from BradyGames. Ordered the JPN Climax guide for a rather expensive $40 shipped to USA.

If they now release an English guide for Europe, I'll be disappointed in my decision.

The European english guide was never cancelled, it's still up on Play and Amazon.uk for release on the 29th. I've got the CE version pre-ordered myself, which is going to run me about $42 shipped to the US.

There are some great combos in the video, but how does this player not have a maxed life bar? The guy is clearly great at the game and wrote a damn guide.

XiaNaphryz

a Master Ninja said:
There are some great combos in the video, but how does this player not have a maxed life bar? The guy is clearly great at the game and wrote a damn guide.
Old save file? Not wanting to get the last one and possibly trigger a certain achievement? Could be a number of reasons, the guy obviously doesn't really need the extra health.

Nice combos but the entire idea is bullshit and false advertising. You can't SHOW someone how to get pure platinums and not get hit. It just takes practice. And you can get there without a guide as long as you know the basics and your reflexes are good enough. And if you're a scrub, you'll remain a scrub despite any book or video.

Even if they a long list of commands for every combo, people aren't going to memorize them just by looking at them. You need to actually do them and it's a lot easier to come up with your own combos on the fly than trying to remember a long sequence of attacks.

Cetra

While there are all valid points, I'm sure there is a lot to learn from the guide. Such as weapon and item properties that aren't readily apparent in the game menus etc. I pre-ordered the collectors edition from amazon.co.uk as well, though mostly because I'm completely fanatical about the game at the moment. And I have severe collector streak when it comes to games I get fanatical about. :lol

XiaNaphryz

It's also a bit surprising how much later the guide is coming out in relation to the game release...usually they hit the shelves before the game comes out, right?

Cancelling the guide was really dumb in the first place, especially for a game like this. I'm glad at least someone is trying to rectify the situation

XiaNaphryz

Scythesurge said:
Cancelling the guide was really dumb in the first place, especially for a game like this. I'm glad at least someone is trying to rectify the situation
At least it's easy to just order it from Amazon.uk if anyone in the US wants to snag one.

XiaNaphryz

I couldn't help myself, and have ordered the LE strat guide. I guess the trailer had some effect on me after all. :lol

Drame

XiaNaphryz said:
I couldn't help myself, and have ordered the LE strat guide. I guess the trailer had some effect on me after all. :lol
It makes a great coffee table book, if nothing else. :)

Those who are still interested in the strategy guide, it's £12.95 at Zavvi today.

randomwab

Future Press always have amazing guides. I have a ton of them and they really put a lot of work and effort into them, with behind the scenes interviews, a ton of art and secrets and such.

acrhgz.gif

2hdmhk2.gif

fubarduck

America has THE worst laws ever when it comes to game guides (guide company has to bid on an exclusive license from game company). Why would you want to buy a guide when the intellectual property laws don't allow for competition? That's why 90% of guides in this country are glorified instruction manuals.

Props to the few writers who keep it real, although it's awfully difficult with the deadlines they impose sometimes. Basically, if the guide isn't final by a week or two before the game's release, they usually have to cancel because it isn't worth the lost sales from first-week buyers.

That's probably what happened to this alleged American guide; it's happened to many others.

XiaNaphryz

fubarduck said:
America has THE worst laws ever when it comes to game guides (guide company has to bid on an exclusive license from game company). Why would you want to buy a guide when the intellectual property laws don't allow for competition? That's why 90% of guides in this country are glorified instruction manuals.
Wait, that's actually law?

jns

oh jeez, I really thought I was getting on top of the combat in Bayonetta till I saw this trailer. The combat just keeps getting deeper for me and I've noticed you really have to aviod the temptation for a good old fashion button mash if you want to chain some funky looking moves.

Hugbot

Watched the video expecting to laugh at the concept of a trailer for a strategy guide, ended up deciding to order a copy shipped to the US when I get paid. So, I guess, good job trailer.

It's not so much the '100% GUARANTEE GET EVERY PLATINUM" that I'm interested in as it is having a nice special edition guide to read through, with some interviews and nice artwork. But still, did not expect to drop $45 after a book trailer.

XiaNaphryz

Hugbot said:
Watched the video expecting to laugh at the concept of a trailer for a strategy guide, ended up deciding to order a copy shipped to the US when I get paid. So, I guess, good job trailer.

It's not so much the '100% GUARANTEE GET EVERY PLATINUM" that I'm interested in as it is having a nice special edition guide to read through, with some interviews and nice artwork. But still, did not expect to drop $45 after a book trailer.
That's pretty much what I went through. :lol

Biff

WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN HALF THE MOVES IN THIS VIDEO BEFORE? :lol

I already beat the game on normal... Surely I'm just missing all the weapons this guy is using? Or do I have the weapons and just not know how to use them? I know I've hit pretty much all the combos you do while levels are loading, but maybe I just don't have the proper weapon setup?

XiaNaphryz

ChefRamsay said:
WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN HALF THE MOVES IN THIS VIDEO BEFORE? :lol

I already beat the game on normal... Surely I'm just missing all the weapons this guy is using? Or do I have the weapons and just not know how to use them? I know I've hit pretty much all the combos you do while levels are loading, but maybe I just don't have the proper weapon setup?
Equipping different weapons changes the moveset - hit Back/Select and look through the move list for each weapon equip config.

MrDaravon

fubarduck said:

Eh? You don't see them much anymore, but there used to be "unofficial" guides all the time, often multiple ones for major releases. I was under the impression that places who do the "official" guide bid for it so they get developer support and the game early, whereas "unofficial" guides either work off of the import and/or come out a bit late.

legbone

i signed up with amazon.us to let me know when the limited edition is available. it seems to be a beautiful guide. i really appreciate a good guide. i loved the collectors edition guides for fallout 3 and god of war 2. i don't really use them, just keep them as collector's items. anyway, i hope the limited edition is coming to the us. i would hate to have to order it from the uk due to the exchange rate.

Top Bottom