• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please check and fix your avatars by February 8. Post in the Gaming Forum topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

Ok. With the influx of new members, already a couple are making their avatars wrong, to go along with the hundreds, if not thousands of other users that already have avatars that exceed the guidelines stated in the Terms of Service.

Avatar image size should not be greater than 90 pixels by 120 pixels, and no greater than 150k in size.

Not many people have problems with the 150k+ ones (aside from those people that use 2mb gifs), the main issue is the 90x120. The forum makes every avatar be 90 pixels across.

That is where people get tripped up. If your avatar is 100x100, the forum resizes it down to 90x90, which is fine. It's when people use an avatar that is 70x110, which in theory is within the limits, except 70 is not 90. So, it increases the avatar by a ratio that makes that 70x110 avatar to 90x130. That is too big.

All you need to do to be safe is make whatever avatar you are using be 90 pixels across first, then 120 or under. Resize it to 90, and whatever the paint program you use will ratio the avatar to be however much bigger. If the vertical number is over 120 after making the horizontal one 90, cut off however many pixels you need to.

A couple of people I have already changed their avatars. If your avatar is currently this:
badav.png
, then I replaced it. For those that have had it changed, post in here and I will revert it so you can fix your avatar.

If you are having trouble resizing it, or whatever the issue, just post in this thread and maybe some kind fellow user will fix it for you.

After the date in the title, if you have an avatar that exceeds the guidelines, you may get
badav.png
as your avatar instead. It really should not be an issue. Most people only have one avatar. I have 573. All 573 fit within the guideline. It should not take more than 2 minutes to fix. Please do! Some users have had avatars that exceed the limit for months, possibly years.
Thank you.

As people have already said, the easiest way to check is to just right click the avatar and go to properties; it should say what it is being scaled to.

Update: It sounds like I can give whoever I want another chance, so if your avatar was changed to text, I can give you another go at it.

Niblet

I'd assume that Gaming Discussion sees more juniors than Off-Topic, but I will extend my offer to resize avatars later on in the day if juniors come pouring.

Red Scarlet

That's not a great way to start, just locking them for new folks. Your avatar is stretched over the limit though (89x120 becomes 90x121).

Niblet

@alexthekid
I inserted a border around the image. It is now 90x120
vopmjn.jpg

@Graf Nudu
Cropped and Resized to 90x120
fkpeti.jpg

Rapstah

Just so my math is correct, my avatar is already exactly in the height-to-length ratio demanded, right (75*100)?

EDIT: Can it be 120 pixels long or wide as long as the other direction is 90 pixels?

EDIT 2: Okay, the forum scaled my new one to 90*114 which is obviously okay.

Beware the Ides of March

Also based on my case I'd say keep it PG. Your compass on safe-for-work may be a bit off. PG-13 usually passes online without you batting an eye. But I got hit by being too far down field.

Mr. Jonh

Banned
Here is an easy method to check it, a Greasemonkey script for Firefox that ads fail on avy's that are too large! Note that (i think) it doesn't check the files size, though.Use it, check every time you change your avy, and everyone is happy.

Mods, if you don't want people using this, please say something or edit the post. Thank you.

Rocksteady33

I'm not good at this... I don't know how to check pixels on a Mac, only know how on a Windows. Is mine fine? I've been here forever and no one has brought it up but I thought I'd ask.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Rocksteady33 said:
I'm not good at this... I don't know how to check pixels on a Mac, only know how on a Windows. Is mine fine? I've been here forever and no one has brought it up but I thought I'd ask.

Right click, view image info. Or whatever the hell the mac equivalent of "right click" is. :D

Short story, you're fine.

dralla said:
my avatar wasn't even NSFW and i got stuck with this. no warning either, just changed without notice.

What? I always imagine that your original avy was super hot and now you say this. My image of you is completely ruined.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
dralla said:
my avatar wasn't even NSFW and i got stuck with this. no warning either, just changed without notice.

Did it prominently feature a superior posterior?

Also, I'm mainly posting to ensure my avatar is 100% correct.

Edit: It is!

xrich

Banned
hey scarlet, i got mine changed but im 95% sure that all of mine were the right dimensions. any other reason ud change it?

xrich

Banned
abq said:
File size limit.

i thought she said they dont really follow that rule, unless its like way over (2mb) in size? if thats not the case then yea..i think mine were all around 250kb. so hard to bring it down =/

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
SpacLock said:
I'm not going to lie... I've been rocking this huge ass thing for awhile. Some one want to help a fellow bro out?

Picture4-7-1.png

ru79qd.jpg

I cropped it, resized it and lost the transparency. Hope it's ok.

DogWelder

aX1l3.png

If you wanted to keep the transparency.

Also, you don't even need a image resizing program. Just use www.imgur.com to upload your image, click the edit checkbox, and in the next step drag a crop box over the image, click on Show Cropping Presets, and uncheck Constrain Proportions. Type in 90 and 120 and booyah, instant croppage.

Red Scarlet

BlackClouds said:
You're my favorite mod, Red Scarlet. :D

We never got to play L4D. :(

You can still add me though if you still want to play it.

xrich said:
hey scarlet, i got mine changed but im 95% sure that all of mine were the right dimensions. any other reason ud change it?

Yeah, a lot were 200+kb. Dimensions were fine, but they were too big size-wise. I'm reverting yours so please fix 'em.

Holycrap Adam, it's 5081
bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom