• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #45 - "Stormy Weather"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Theme - "Stormy Weather"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 2/24 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, 2/25, and goes until Saturday, 2/27 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Office Space. That is set all or part of your story in an office. What constitutes an office is fairly broad, from a place of ties and cubicles to a tiny room that serves as a home office.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Writing Challenge FAQ

There's no coincidence with that stapler. Tragedy has more than a passing relationship with the weather. In the only place which matters, at least: fiction.

Irish

I can totally see a story that goes along with this. Maybe I can actually put some thought into this for once.

ronito

wow, I can't believe I've already got an idea and a pretty good one at that (and it has nothing to do with red staplers)

Ashes

Banned
hmm... I'm thinking if I write about citizen K, it would have to be a standalone story... and I don't want to do that...
I'm not going to do a citizen K story...
urghh... but I have to finish it...

it's funny that I've covered stormy weather and office space in the last few stories...
god... what to do... I'm thinking of a quick witted comedy with journalists on a stormy night in script form... or citizen K...

excellent theme btw...

Irish

Man, sound is pretty essential to the idea I have floating around in my head, but I have no idea how to convey it properly.

Dracula

Finally!

I only manage to stumble over these writing contest threads when they're just about over. Let's see what I can come up with...

Equus Bellator Apex

The strong pulsating beat of thunder keeps my eyes alert as I scan the empty road for him. A flash of light reminds me of how dangerous this search is. Two miles back I found his collar. Now I stare at his body. Crumpled up on the side of the road. His fur soaked from the onslaught of rain pouring down on us...me. I am alone on this road. It's just me, my truck and this lump flesh that used to be my dog.

ronito

Equus Bellator Apex said:
The strong pulsating beat of thunder keeps my eyes alert as I scan the empty road for him. A flash of light reminds me of how dangerous this search is. Two miles back I found his collar. Now I stare at his body. Crumpled up on the side of the road. His fur soaked from the onslaught of rain pouring down on us...me. I am alone on this road. It's just me, my truck and this lump flesh that used to be my dog.
If this were Timedog's entry I'd know to prepare for sex scene the likes of which I've never known.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I'm not entirely happy with it, but I've always wanted to participate in one of these things. So I'll just submit what I have. Reading over the theme and listening to Tim Hecker - Chimeras resulted in this strange little tale:

Empty

He stepped off.

Onto the street. He was not surprised to find it so empty. Not a person in sight. A picture perfect rendition of an apocalypse he’d read about so many times in science fiction novels he had begun to forget. The weather only worked to magnify the effect.

The rushing wind numbed his skin.

The rain fell with violent ferocity, soaking his blazer and bruising his skin. Still, he walked with an astounding lack of urgency, marching along the sidewalk in a perfectly even stride, carefully avoiding the cracks in the cement. If he had bothered to pack anything in his briefcase, he would have been hugging it closely to his chest to guard it from the rain. Instead, he let it hang limply from his left hand. He continued his march until he reached the twenty storey office building. He swung the door open and stepped in.

He closed his eyes and prepared himself.

To find the building empty. Of course, he was right. The building was as empty as the street outside. Wherever everyone went, it wasn’t to hide from the rain. He advanced towards the elevator and regarded the empty gray room one last time before pushing the call button. The elevator door slid open and he made his way inside.

He flew past the fourteenth floor.

He got off on the fifteenth floor. He was greeted by a labyrinth of cubicles. One he could circumnavigate quite efficiently, seeing as he spent what felt like an eternity making rounds in this maze. As to be expected, the cubicles were empty. The uninteresting water cooler stood undisturbed in the corner of the room. His eyes pinpointed an office at the end of the labyrinth. With nowhere else to go, he proceeded towards the plain door with nothing but his name on it.

He sped towards his destination.

The office door flew open. A gust of cold wind cut into his flesh. He inspected the room with eyes that were now no more than slits. The office was completely devoid of features. An empty five sided cube. He stood opposite of the missing side, where no glass was situated to block the incoming torrent. He walked to the end of the room.

He was close enough to smell the wet asphalt.

He stood at the edge of the room. He watched the storm clouds swallow the horizon. The bipolar sky of blue and gray melted into a familiar silver. The storm was just beginning. He wondered if this was punishment, if he deserved this and if it would ever end.

It was almost over.

As he had done countless times before, he looked down into the empty street. He tried to remember why this was happening. He had some vague recollection of being unsatisfied; Unfulfilled and bored. But that’s all the memory his troubled mind would allot him. Cloudy memories of emptiness were the only ones that still remained. Fitting, he thought. He stepped off.

Onto the street. He was not surprised to find it so empty. Not a person in sight.

Like the repetition of imagery, ProudClod, and you have a knack for it. Some spotty grammatical issues, though. I did enjoy it.

Wish it was longer, though.

Irish

Well, since it seems like I can't find a good way to present sound in the story it looks like I'm going to have to change my idea around some. The way it's looking now, my story is going to be a mixture of "Away From Home" (my first entry) and "Waiting" (my craziest entry). Hopefully, I'll be able to use the comments for both of those stories to create a much better one. I'm using the style from AFH and content similar to Waiting.

I hope it all works out in the end.

Ashes

Banned
Irish said:
Well, since it seems like I can't find a good way to present sound in the story it looks like I'm going to have to change my idea around some....
... I hope it all works out in the end.

I always like the content of your stories but find them inaccessible due to minor issues. Perhaps if you were to bring a more standardized variant to the table, it could prove beneficial to a wider audience. Good luck anyhow...

@prodclod: well.. Fragmented sentences are the biggest thing... you have bits of sentences written as if it were whole, and the full stop (period) acts in unique ways... :)

Separately, I think this will be the last of the Citizen K stories. At the back of my mind, it was always a series of short stories. But it's become extremely difficult to write a short story in of it self. It was fun to write while it lasted though... :)

I don't think I'll give an epic send off or anything; the plot's done, and I'm happy with it.

Ashes

Banned
I don't know but why don't you just cross it out... like so, or delete the post so that you can post it on later on the week...

Cyan

Banned
ProudClod said:
Oh okay, thanks!

Is it okay to edit the story for grammar after having submitted it?
Hey, I worked hard on that FAQ!

Can I change my entry after submitting?
You can submit and then edit if you'd like (all the way up to the deadline), but finalizing before submitting is encouraged. Some people start reading/critiquing before the deadline, so if you submit, you should be ready to have that version judged/critiqued as is.

Aaron said:
Optional Secondary Objective: Office Space. That is set all or part of your story in an office. What constitutes an office is fairly broad, from a place of ties and cubicles to a tiny room that serves as a home office.

What if they talk about Work/Office, but never make it?
Will that meet the Optional Secondary Objective?

Aaron

ChubbyHuggs said:
Optional objective is optional, though really it does fit because these objectives are more meant to inspire your story than needing to be an essential part of it.

Ashes

Banned
ChubbyHuggs said:

''That is set all or part of your story in an office. ''

well... erm... strictly speaking: no. He said what an office was, is up to you though...

edit: :(... beaten with Ronito's lost red stapler whilst a thunderstorm raged outside my office. :)

Aaron said:
Optional objective is optional, though really it does fit because these objectives are more meant to inspire your story than needing to be an essential part of it.

Well I have my story set as a trip to the office, but I'm not sure I want the my character to make it there, so I figured I'd ask at least. :D

ronito

I kissed you as the rain ran down the windows of the conference room.
50 stories up.
The view of the city was magical.
On the windows miniature waterfalls of rain transformed everything.
It was like a modern Monet painting.
Blobs of gray made the buildings.
Splotches of red and a whitish-yellow the cars.
So silent.
Your breath on my neck and cheeks.
Lips sliding over my skin gently.
The long black table was like a mirror.
Reflecting the dying light of the day and the waking lights of the night.
Containing the whole day in it's surface.
The highback leather chairs around the table
silent spectators.
It was there that we made love.
Surrounded by living Monet paintings.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
So, I've made several tiny edits. I think I've fixed the grammar. I'm aware that the paragraph breaks are not perfectly grammatical, but there's a reason they're there. So, hopefully you guys weren't referring to them when you mentioned spotty grammar. Let me know if there's anything else that needs fixing :)

ronito

It's funny how much these challenges change you.

Before I would've written my first idea and posted it without thinking and it wouldn't have been taken well. Now I actually tend to think things through a lot more before I follow them through.

ronito

Irish said:
Don't worry, I plan on maintaining that tradition. :p
You have better first ideas than I do. I tend to come up with ideas from images and build around that which can make for very flimsy ideas.

I really only had an image. That moved to an idea requiring 4 characters. But there was no action, and 2000 words wasn't enough to make the characters strong enough especially when 2 of them leave and there wasn't a compelling event.

So in the end I decided I knew I wasn't good enough to pull that off so just make it about the image.

Irish

I'm actually struggling with that right now. I have a character, setting, and a ton of details, but I lack something that actually drives the story. Basically, my entry is missing a plot. It's starting to come together in my mind, but it seems like it's all going to be anti-climactic. :(

I actually liked what you ended up with.

Cyan

Banned
Irish said:
I'm actually struggling with that right now. I have a character, setting, and a ton of details, but I lack something that actually drives the story. Basically, my entry is missing a plot. It's starting to come together in my mind, but it seems like it's all going to be anti-climactic. :(
Well... what's the conflict? Does the MC have a goal? How is s/he being prevented from reaching that goal?

Irish

I just realized I had everything that I needed, but that it was so simple I overlooked it. I didn't even know that was possible. :(

Ashes

Banned
That's nice to hear Irish... good luck...

Myself, the writing (first draft) has long been done and I'm satisfied completely with the plot, the character, the setting etc. Its the prose that is proving troublesome.

Citizen K turned out to be a series of short stories, which I'm fine with. I liked writing about him. There are a few short story series, but mostly belonging to the mystery genre.

The trouble now is how to write a standalone piece, which invariably the last two were to a certain extent I thought.

The story concept was so simple, you reacted the same whether you were new or familiar to the story. Aliens invade the world>>> man reacts to the situation he finds himself in>>>there is a bit about the relationship between failure and success as well.

Now that I know Citizen K's world a lot better, I keep referencing back to the past few stories. The first draft had long paragraphs full of lengthy recaps, which I feel is wasted time and effort. Its helpful to new readers but boring to other readers. :(

I think I'm going to target anything that has already happened with minimalism. The word count is fine, I'm nowhere near the limit, but the pace, compared to the last two has dropped dramatically. Maybe If I can add quick thinking witty lines; I can make it seem as if it has a lot more pace and direction. Any ideas?

In any case, Ronito has a point; this will be the most controlled effort I've entered.

This has got to be the last Citizen K story. :(

ronito

Cyan said:
Well... what's the conflict? Does the MC have a goal? How is s/he being prevented from reaching that goal?
This is definitely something these challenges have taught me. But I call it a compelling event (hijacking a business term). What's the compelling event, why should the reader care?

Whew. I'm finally starting to feel like my head is screwed on right again. Or at least right enough that I can actually figure out what's going on up there. So, hopefully, my time off hasn't killed my momentum too badly.

Edit: Writing a little bit on this, I'm starting to feel this is an idea that will be hindered by my own lack of knowledge with the genre. I'll have to think on it a bit more.

I've got my characters, details, narrative structure, and so forth, but it seems the more I write, the more it falls apart. What's worse is that it's going to be such a brief piece; it may not exceed 1,000 words. This is my first effort in one of these challenges (and actually, my first creative writing effort in years), so I want to feel satisfied with it, but the more I put into it, the more it feels cheap and trite. Hrmm.

ronito

Funky Functionality said:
I've got my characters, details, narrative structure, and so forth, but it seems the more I write, the more it falls apart. What's worse is that it's going to be such a brief piece; it may not exceed 1,000 words. This is my first effort in one of these challenges (and actually, my first creative writing effort in years), so I want to feel satisfied with it, but the more I put into it, the more it feels cheap and trite. Hrmm.
believe me. less is more.

Irish

Don't feel the need to reach the word count limit. It's only meant to serve as a maximum so we aren't spending 15 minutes reading each entry. Let you story come to an end naturally, be it at 400 words or 2,000. Adding a bunch of nonsense will only hinder your piece. Trust me, I've had more than enough experience completely ruining my piece this way.

Also, your first entry is almost guaranteed to be better than everything I've submitted combined, even if it's not perfect.

Haha, I guess I was a little unclear. I'm definitely not trying to employ filler to reach a certain word limit--the piece is quite short and will stay that way. The problem I'm running into is about efficiently conveying a few general ideas without cheapening it, or without losing the tightness and tension. When I said, "the more I write, the more it falls apart," what I really meant was that I'm struggling to present necessary details in a subtle but effective manner.

Also,
Irish said:
your first entry is almost guaranteed to be better than everything I've submitted combined, even if it's not perfect.
I doubt it. :D

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Haha, I guess I was a little unclear. I'm definitely not trying to employ filler to reach a certain word limit--the piece is quite short and will stay that way. The problem I'm running into is about efficiently conveying a few general ideas without cheapening it, or without losing the tightness and tension. When I said, "the more I write, the more it falls apart," what I really meant was that I'm struggling to present necessary details in a subtle but effective manner.

I find that if you're having trouble including details without "cheapening" your piece, they are usually not necessary details. Don't worry about submitting something perfect, either. The whole point is to learn and have some fun with it :)

Myopia & Philautia
Word Count: 280

four
by
four
square.

Sixteen, truth be told
all the space in the universe
could fit in this small box.

The nightlife thrives
underneath downpour
lightning strikes and easy decisions
cars swerving out of control
and someone snorting cocaine
for the first time.

But I'm not out there
I'm in here under these fabricated lights
working on
(whatever it is)
that I'm supposed to be working on.
For a corporate world that sees me
like the smallest pawn on the chessboard.

Another crackle, loud thunder boom
probably struck the ground somewhere
ruined a playground set or something
warped and twisted and burned it
ruined some kid's fun for a while.

My fingers click-clatter on this keyboard
lookin' at this screen forever 'till my eyes burn out
singe the retinas and narrow the sight
but it's ok.
I'd rather be in here than out there.

Out in the myriad mess of puddles and wet and mud
of homeless scrounging for change
and orphaned children hiding under boxes.
The rains beat on them like millions of tiny fists
pound away at their soul
so they always feel alone.

Another business report
thrown out in haste
made another mistake
time to restart.
Sometimes these walls feel like they're closing in
and sometimes I wanna run.
But I don't.
It's my job and I can't work anywhere else

The world out there in its tumult
All ephemera
Nothing like the confines of this
fabricated world
I like to think that I'm making a difference out there
By sponging out my sanity here in this

four
by
four
square.

Sixteen, truth be told
and all the universe
could fit in its arms.

ProudClod said:
I find that if you're having trouble including details without "cheapening" your piece, they are usually not necessary details. Don't worry about submitting something perfect, either. The whole point is to learn and have some fun with it :)
I agree, but it's not so much the details and ideas themselves, but the way I was trying to deliver them. I think I've got it all wrapped up now... spent about 4 hours total on it, and it's only 536 words. I'm rusty. :D Rip it up:

Statement

Dylan Colbert felt the room moving as his eyes remained tightly shut. Several moments seemed to pass while he absorbed what he'd done. The gunshot still rang in his ears, intertwined with the lingering memory of shrill, terrified screams—a fitting soundtrack for the chaotic flood of imagery crashing through his mind. He found himself reveling in it. Never in his life had he been so satisfied. He drew in a calming breath. The images subsided; the high-pitched tone in his ears grew faint. He exhaled deeply.

The morning had begun routinely enough. At 6:30 a.m., Dylan surrendered his dreams to the irate alarm clock stationed at his bedside table, swearing into his pillow as he fumbled for the button to silence it. “Poor Mr. Colbert,” he mused, “held captive at the hands of a goddamned clock.” A picture lay face down on the table. Stretching out of bed, he propped it up to have a look, just as he did every morning. He anticipated the day it wouldn’t hurt. The cold shower offered some respite, and his tired wardrobe some familiar comfort. A quick glance in the mirror convinced him he was truly awake as his jaw fell open to a yawn and his fingertips groomed the coarse stubble on his neck. His last bite of egg was dry and chased with orange juice. Dylan gathered his briefcase, wallet, and thoughts, clinging to a sense of certainty he hadn’t felt in years. As he left for work, he marveled at how well he’d shined his shoes.

Susan Wheeler’s coffee burned her lips. The rainy view of the city outside her apartment window bored her, so she studied her figure in the pale reflection. She wanted breast implants. The morning news blared on a dusty television set as she dressed; the story of a nearby fire held her attention until she learned no one had been hurt. After slipping on a fitted button-up blouse—the blue one Dylan liked—she was faced with a familiar dilemma. She’d nearly made the decision when her phone rang. Susan glared at the number and ignored it. She’d heard enough from Dylan’s ex-wife throughout the divorce proceedings. “Two buttons open,” she thought. “No, three.”

Dylan parked and relaxed in his car for several minutes to the sounds of a local jazz station. He watched a puddle forming below a leak, drop by drop, each ripple a sax note, every splash a snare. His daughter’s dance shoes peered at him from beneath the passenger seat. He turned off the radio. Dylan walked with purpose to his building, the dampened concrete of the parking complex shaking beneath his feet as cars passed above and below. “Good morning Mr. Colbert!” Susan’s eager greeting was her best effort to draw attention to the blouse. Without a word, Dylan approached her desk and placed his briefcase on it. “May I assist you with something this morning, Mr. Colbert?” Dylan watched her carefully as he opened the briefcase. Deeply confused, she began to ask another question, but was startled into silence when he removed a small nickel-plated revolver. As Susan erupted with screams, Dylan placed the cold barrel firmly against his temple. He closed his eyes.

I was really in the zone for this one and ended up with over 3000 words. (It's also the first time I've dabbled in science fiction - a series of firsts.) I won't cut it significantly since I'm actually quite fond of its structure as it is. Of course, this eliminates me from getting votes, but I'd like some crits, especially on how it reads as a potential first chapter. Thanks.

The Year Prince Died

Voices, whispering, tickling at his mind; so soft as to be almost unheard.

The stiff probably doesn't even know.

Thirty years off? He's close enough. Besides, it's a waste otherwise, isn't it? Only five years left 'till expiry.

Fuck off. He's junk for a reason.

Look. He's waking up.

His eyelids dragged upwards slowly only to close shut again. The light was unbearable. His skin was knit with a veneer of coldness akin to frost. Sounds rifled in on him from every direction; scratching and thudding and loud metal barks invading his mind like a hot poker. It was too much.

You dimwit. Didn't I tell you the transition was too quick?

Yeah, yeah. He'll live.

Just.

Come off it.

No, really, Liam. Worst bloody defrost I've ever seen. Poor bastard.

Strength ebbed through him slowly. He tried to move something, anything, cautiously. All the while, questions flooded through him unchecked. What were these voices? Where was he? He last remembered himself in a cluttered spacious room with a sad woman, ladling a spoon of the worst strop imaginable down his throat, compelling him - almost forcibly - to live, blast it, live. And then, nothing. A missing piece, a strand cut and unfurnished, not dissimilar to past experiences with alcohol. His toe moved, inexplicably, without warning. It seemed his efforts were not in vain. Within seconds, he lost a fight with his insides, throwing up his last meal. The last meal, maybe.

Shit. Do they all vomit?

Some. Mostly the ones who get defrosted too quick, idiot.

I thought you said he was junk?

Shut it. He's coming to for real now.

The involuntary actions involved with his generous spout of vomiting had done what his will could not. His eyes were open. It was only by a crack, but that was enough. He found himself half-sitting-up on his left side, strewn along the inside cradle of a metal enclosure specked and drizzled by the beige-colored deposits of his stomach, and gazing between half-lidded eyes at the source of all the noise in his mind. Two teenagers. White, scruffy, curious. The taller one was a girl; a brunette with long tangled hair and a hard look to her that spoke volumes. The other, the boy, looked younger, smaller, almost timid next to the girl - no, woman - beside him. At their feet, a plethora of equally scruffy and aesthetically weird electronic equipment was scattered across the floor, wires running from it to and fro across the muddy ground to the base of the metal enclosure which housed him. Beside this, a large sheet of glass was cast-off on the ground, showing few cracks from the obviously clumsy handling it had received. Straining his neck, he almost managed to see where all the wires connected.

"See. He's fine." the boy said.

His tongue came unstuck, swimming in a paltry collection of saliva, allowing him to frame what felt like his first words. "What happened?"

"Your family couldn't afford to feed another child," the young woman said, finishing hesitantly, as if reconsidering the impact of her words. "You're a stiff, been cryo'd for a long time. The idea was probably that if your family was rich enough to get you in a cryo at the time, they'd be rich enough to take care of you whenever death got beat by the scientists. Guess they were wrong."

He struggled with which question to ask first. "Death was beaten?"

"Not really. They can bring you back if nothing's damaged and you were iced. And there's more time for those who can afford it. That means you need to be rich. But, at some point, the body goes. For everyone. It's inevitable."

He had died. It was an impossible thought, but this was an impossible situation. The world was beginning to unspool before him, in shadows and splotches, beyond the two pasty white faces that watched him with an uncomfortable level of concern. What shook him about this gaze was that it was not unknown to him. Once, in the menagerie that made up his memories, on a farm struck amidst the terrain of who-knows-where, he had witnessed a farmer giving one of his pigs the same look. The pig was weakening, growing scrawny on the depleting amount of scraps the farmer could afford to give it, and so, the farmer was worried. About his next meal.

Pushing those dark thoughts away, he focused on the misshapen environment around him. A dislocated urban sprawl stretched out in every direction he could see. Eating at every window and roof and door of the many abandoned houses and buildings and factories around him was a rust that suggested at years, if not decades. A tundra of smog hid the vision of a slowly growing rain shower that softly pelted at the alcove above them - a mish-mash of torpid, broken-down machinery. Everywhere, such used-up machinery sat, bundled, stacked, chucked, over and on-top of each other. From banged-up home appliances to vaguely familiar-looking automobiles to large stripped-down devices the use of which he could not decipher. Situated above all this, a gigantic train-track ran on a metallic strip held up by a series of pylons that could be seen far into the horizon. A squealing and shaking of its rivets indicated the speedy progress of a bypassing train. It screeched forward, never for a minute stopping, carrying no passengers which could be seen inside the confines of its large windows, and continued its journey past the small suburb of disrepair beneath it. A fading nuclear sign was scrawled within a corporate advertising logo underneath the windows of one of its trailing carriages.

This was the future?

"Are you alright?"

"Where are we?" He coughed, wheezing, labouring under the task of steady breathing. "When are we?"

The boy spoke. "New Manchester. 2292."

"There was no-one on the train. Where are the people?"

"The people?" He frowned. "Who'd waste a trip on the rails down here? You're new to it, but I'm sure you want to get away already."

He did, didn't he?

"Okay. What's my name?"

"B9338M."

"What?"

"The serial number on your box. The rest got wiped off. Can't remember?"

A thick buzzing entered his mind, louder than the now-heavy rain, and he felt sweat running down his forehead, causing a stinging assault on his eyes and a salty benediction on his tongue.

"It's there. I know it is. But I can't - No, I don't remember."

The buzzing reached a crescendo. A tattoo of sheer concrete pain crashed through his mind like a drum. The young woman's face looked down on him with a light note of despair. It was not for him, but for something else. He could tell. She advanced with a needle which appeared seemingly from nowhere and reached down for his wrist. Even if he wanted to resist, he couldn't. And despite himself, he found himself trusting her need for him to live. For now.

"Alright, you need to rest," she whispered into his left ear, the needle and its contents now inside his arm. "We'll talk later."

As she rose up again, he stared into the dark steely eyes which populated her face and searched. Of course, it was useless.

He woke again. His chest was on fire. He was coughing, spluttering, and it was spiraling out of control. He gripped his throat with his left hand and rested his right over his left nipple, feeling for his heart-beat. It was marginally fluttery and jangly every so often despite being surprisingly even. He was in a room, on a bed, right next to a half-open window. There was no other furniture. The door on the opposite side of the room had light peaking out from underneath it, suggesting the presence of his two... saviors.

"Help!" he shouted. "Can anyone hear me? Help!"

All he heard in reply was the sound of a noisy train. This place had to be in the same crappy neighborhood as before. He waited, about to start his beseeching cries anew, when the door opened. The outline of a feminine figure approached before the lights were switched on. It was the young woman he remembered from before. Oddly, he almost wished that was a dream, like the room he remembered dying in. He wished it was all a dream.

"I'm here, darling," she said, with a mocking uplift of her lips. "Don't worry. You'll get used to the air soon."

She reached under his bed to pull out a jet-black oxygen mask. Gently cupping his head, she strapped it on.

"You anticipated this?" he asked between gritted teeth hidden by the mask.

"It's not unusual, for recent cryos or new settlers."

"The smog? They really fucked up the planet, huh?"

She looked at him pityingly. "And which planet do you think we're on?"

His coughing subsided completely. It couldn't just be the mask. The shock must have been spiking his adrenalin. "We colonized the solar system?"

"You overestimate us, B93," she said. "We colonized the moon and Mars out of necessity. Once that was gone, the usual stuff kicked in. Disunity. Corruption. Exploitation. Don't worry, darling: It might be a different world but it's the same humanity you left all those years ago."

He rolled over to look out the window. Several moons of varying sizes burned in the night sky. It was true.

"It's amazing."

"I know," she said.

He shifted himself into his original position. "Hey, the B93 thing. Don't call me that. I have a real name somewhere."

Evidently deaf to his request, she sat down on his bed and began stroking his right leg. Her fingers moved up and down his thigh. Looking down, he realized he was still naked. But his embarrassment was not given a chance to show. She began to pinch at a point in his upper thigh. It was his femoral artery. As she leaned forward, her right hand took a knife out of her back pocket.

"You're in no position to make demands, B93," she whispered into his left ear again, leaning across his chest, her body firmly pressed against his. "Remember: You had a real name and a real life. Today is different. Now, I have some questions."

"Sandra?"

It was the boy, standing in the doorway, watching them.

The young woman - Sandra - looked startled for the first time since he'd met her. "Liam? What are you doing?"

"I think I should be asking that, sis," he said, pointing at the knife.

"I'm only doing what we said we would," she said. "Asking questions and deciding if he's worth keeping around."

Liam appeared troubled, but he acquiesced with a heavy-drawn sigh. "Alright, Sandra. Go on."

She tightened her grip on his artery and pressed down even harder.

"Prince."

"Prince?"

"You don't know who Prince is? Maybe you are useless."

Her nose and his were almost touching now.

"Wait. You mean Prince the musician?" he said.

"Who else? We need a piece of his work to be validated. There's a chance we've been conned."

"So, who better than someone who lived through the period to validate a piece of art from the period? Was that your thinking when you woke me up?"

Her head slanted to the side like a curious dog. "Yes. You don't hold it against us, do you?"

"It seems like I have little choice but to accede to your every desire."

"Good, you're learning." She let up the pressure on his artery and rose off the bed. "Liam, bring the disc."

Liam left the room, visibly relaxed for the first time since entering the room.

"Have you always had this effect on people?" he asked.

She looked different when she smiled - close to a normal person. "Always."

Liam returned to the room, a CD case in-hand.

"Here it is," Liam said, presenting the case to Sandra, who checked it over.

She nodded and gave it to him. "Make me proud, B93."

"CDs? You still use them?"

"It's a nice market. For antiquity enthusiasts."

After a few moments of examination, he offered his opinion, it was really a no-brainer: "This isn't real. Prince never got in drag when he was old like the guy on this cover. At least, never to this extent and never with these type of, um, accessories."

"You wouldn't happen to know the year he died, either?" asked Liam.

"2042. I remember the day."

"I told you, sis. Kaos lied. It's worthless and we poured half our life savings into it."

"No, not even that bastard would cross us like this." Sandra's face was buried in her hands, with the tips of her fingers massaging her temples. "This stiff is lying. His answers are too clean. He's too sure. It's all fear talking. Has to be."

Shit. It wasn't so surprising. He was just the new guy and she didn't want to believe this person Kaos would rip her off like that. Whether it was because of the potential hurt of disloyalty or her disappointment that he was no longer as scared of her as he should be. He would bet on the latter. Perhaps both. But he had to try something.

"Hey, now, I'm telling the -"

"No. Give him to Wolfe, Liam. He's got to be lying. But I'll double-check with another source, just to confirm."

"Are you sure, Sandra?" Liam asked wearily.

"Wait, you're making a -"

"I'm sure."

"No, no, don't -"

For the second time that day, Sandra's needle breached his skin. This time in his thigh.

Fighting a spell of grogginess, he entered consciousness. Sandra had drugged him a second time, but this time was different. Light filtered into the damp room he was in through the single window placed, high above, near one of the corners. No sound reached in from outside. There was no clue as to where he was but inside an isolated building somewhere on fucking Mars. He was bound and strapped to a cold metal slab across the room from a kindly looking old man with dessicated olive skin.

"I find myself stuck lying down today," he said. "It's getting old."

"You were brought in yesterday," the old man said.

"Oh, my mistake," he said. "I presume you are Wolfe?"

"Yes, indeed. I am here to cut out your organs and give them to those in need," Wolfe said. "For a fair price, of course."

Yet another spasm of shock hit him. "You're not serious."

"Why the distaste for this particularly skewered end of yours, Mr Serial Number?" Wolfe smiled like the benevolent old saint he appeared to be and rolled up his sleeves. He delivered his sermon as he strode across the room with his hands kept inside the pockets of his drab all-white clothing, which had done a fine job - along with his sleeves - of obscuring the red gore that ran down both his arms. "I'm providing a fair service here, after all. You've already had your chance at life. A rich one to judge by your ability to purchase a cryogenic freeze. Now, with your organs, I can give all those humble creatures like myself, who've had the misfortune to encounter otherwise unsolvable illnesses while poor, the chance to live. Rich life-fulfilled cryos in, much-needed organs out. It's probably the most ethical business model you can hope for in this business, my friend."

"You sick bastard. It isn't that simple."

"Oh, but it is. If your greater sympathies lie with the greatest good, it is that simple. Perhaps, it isn't quite legal, but I will remain comfortable sleeping at night after this necessary evil."

"You're just another deluded mad man. Providing a necessary service? If you feel that strongly about it then I'm sure you're not profiteering with this racket. I'm sure everything you can spare is going right back to the sick children who need it."

"Oh, tut tut, Mr Nobody. You've already died." Wolfe's smile widened. "The second time should be easier."

"You godforsaken bastard, you miserable lonely ugly son of a bloody goat!" he screamed. "I hope you remember this moment, and every other one like this, when you die. Remember what you stole as you meet your only friend."

The throbbing was back in his mind, except this time it was a steady rhythm of words weighing on his every thought - I don't want to die, I don't want to die, I don't want to... He couldn't think, beyond mentally laughing at his earlier preliminary belief that death might be welcome again.

He whispered it to Wolfe, knowing it would make little difference, but needing the words to come out: "You're wrong, you know. It's worse this time. Because it's happened before. Because I know."

"Ah, the final stage: acceptance. I promise it'll be gentle, Mr Serial Number. The anesthetic will help." Wolfe nodded. "I'm not a monster."

The laughter leaped out of his throat like a viper, rupturing Wolfe's ethereal hold on him and his fright at his imminent death. It echoed around the cosy chamber he was trapped inside of. Wolfe looked blankly at him for a short while. He then reached out to get hold of his surgical tools. After fiddling with them absently, Wolfe brought the scalpel and retractor and clamp closer, and then hovered over the specula before thinking better of it and turning back towards his charge.

But then the old man froze, his eyes wide and engaged with something or someone behind the table his captive's nude body was bound and strapped on.

"You," Wolfe said.

Liam walked into the limited scope of vision he had from his position on the table, holding a pistol steady at shoulder-height, aimed straight at Wolfe's head. "Me," he said. "Now, let the cryo-case go."

"How did you get in here? My people -"

"Decided to reconsider whose side they were on. It tends to happen when my sister's name is mentioned," Liam said.

Wolfe's brow was furrowed. "But why?"

"Why does everyone hate you or why do I want him?"

"How gauche." Wolfe rolled his eyes. "Why do you want him?"

"He's valuable."

"Ah, but you're not your sister. You won't shoot me, boy. It's as likely a possibility as those absurd whiskers of yours ever turning into a man's beard. In which case, why would I ever let this -"

The shot rang out with brutal authority. Wolfe stared at his bloodied chest in disbelief. Red was splashed liberally across his clothing. Air left his throat with a deep rattling sound that lasted several seconds, before abruptly ending. Wolfe was at his knees, then his elbows, and, finally, he was prone and unmoving and no longer smiling.

The prisoner shook his head, wonderingly. "Why didn't you kill him from the start?"

Liam glanced nervously, perhaps even fearfully, at him. "I don't like it. I don't like to kill. Don't tell Sandra I gave him a chance, okay?"

"Deal," he said. "If you tell me why you saved me."

"We didn't want to believe you earlier because it made us look like fools, but you were right. We convinced another history expert to provide a second opinion and his conclusion mirrored yours. So, we decided that we could make use of your knowledge in the future, especially since it would be a much less demanding source to access."

He giggled, mostly in relief. "My knowledge of 21st century musical history?"

"Among other areas of historical interest."

He smiled. "And the real reason?"

"That's it." Liam tried to return the smile. "Sandra did mention how much she is looking forward to getting reacquainted."

"I can't wait."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom