• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 86: Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Noise

Submissions are due by Thursday, March 18th, 11:59 PM EST.

Voting begins Friday, March 19th, and ends Saturday, March 20th, 11:59 PM EST

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

maybe for some inspiration, helped me a little.
Noise
–noun
1. sound, esp. of a loud, harsh, or confused kind: deafening noises.
2. a sound of any kind: to hear a noise at the door.
3. loud shouting, outcry, or clamor.
4. a nonharmonious or discordant group of sounds.
5. an electric disturbance in a communications system that interferes with or prevents reception of a signal or of information, as the buzz on a telephone or snow on a television screen.
6. Informal. extraneous, irrelevant, or meaningless facts, information, statistics, etc.: The noise in the report obscured its useful information.
7. Obsolete. rumor or gossip, esp. slander.
–verb (used with object)
8. to spread, as a report or rumor; disseminate (usually fol. by about or abroad): A new scandal is being noised about.
–verb (used without object)
9. to talk much or publicly.
10. to make a noise, outcry, or clamor.
—Idiom
11. make noises, Informal. to speak vaguely; hint: He is making noises to the press about running for public office.

AnkitT

Got some inspiration.
bex5b6.png

Camera:Nokia N85
Shutter Speed: 1/17 second
Aperture: F/2.8
Focal Length: 5 mm
ISO Speed: 374
Date Taken: Mar 10, 2010, 12:33:13 PM

With the weather getting better, I hope I will be able to take part more often.

Westferry Circus, near Canary Wharf, London.
IMG_2010_03_06_1787.jpg

Canon 450D
ISO100, 1/125, f10, 20mm

ronitoswife

Neo Member
Wow! This is a tough one for me. I am drawing a blank. This is good, it's making me really think about what to do. Hopefully I will have more of an idea by next week.

AnkitT, can you please resize your picture?

-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

That way it will fit on most everyone's screen without scrolling, and it also keeps sort of a level playing field where all images are presented equally.

edit: Thanks!

Blatant misuse of my camera to fit the theme:

4423332175_94ddb26646_o.jpg

5DII w/16-35 2.8LII
16mm, f8.0, 1/40sec, ISO 25600

edit: for a bit of background, the inspiration for the theme came from this post from my favorite photography blog, about photographic pet peeves. For a while, when I was first getting into digital photography and had just an LX3 since I didn't want to spring for a DSLR right away, noise was my pet peeve. I'd spend way too much time tweaking the noise reduction to try to keep detail while getting rid of the noise. Then I got the 5DII and noise was a thing of the past for all the photos I took with it. And oddly I started to like the noise in the pics from my compact, all snapshots randomly taken out and about, since I almost never leave home without the LX3. The gritty imperfect look suits some subjects, I think.

Chorazin

I think i finally got an idea for this one. My mom found her old Sony camera that used floppies to store the pictures, so I'm gonna use that one to get some sexellent low-light noise this weekend.

Chorazin

Don't click to embiggen ladies and gents, that is this pics max resolution. BASK IN THE 640x480 GLOW!!!

4430340686_d38224314e_o.jpg

I had no idea what I was going to do for this challenge, and then when visiting my mom, she pulled out her old Sony Mavica MVC-FD73, a 0.3 Megapixel camera that uses 3.5" floppies to store the photos. I just had to use this somehow, so here's the end product.

This is my mixer and mic for my podcast, GO US!. I use these to make noise every week, so I thought they made an appropriate subject. The angle of the pic makes it feel, to me at least, like the viewer is going to speak into the mic.

The noise the camera's ancient sensor makes just adds that extra level of theme to the pic.

And, I hope you like that sweet bokeh on the mixer. Bwahahahaha

mrkgoo

Awesome pic burger.

I missed my chance. My housemate had a guy around with a chainsaw last week to chop some wood. Couldve made for something cool.

Stalfos

Hey photoGAF. I've been around the forum a while but this is my first post in a photography assignment thread. I've been meaning to start contributing to these but with this particular theme I got some good inspiration. With the theme I got thinking about noise induced hearing loss and what it would feel like to be faced with it. So here is my take on the theme.

dyrjma.jpg

Canon Rebel XT w/ 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

I used high ISO for image noise for a double meaning on the theme. The "blood" is made from a mixture of cocoa powder, nutella, honey, and milk.

I'm sure several of you are on flickr, here is my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenwmoore/

Crap, I had the same idea as Burger. Serves me right for not checking the thread often. I will try to take a new pic if possible within the submission time period, otherwise this would be my entry.

Cameras werent allowed in the stadium, so this was taken with a phone camera. Anyways, here goes:

b089009838.jpg

IPL Twenty20 match at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. f/2.4, 1/20, ISO 200, 4.6mm. Increased exposure a bit in Photoshop.

brerwolfe

mrnorush said:

ok.. my headphones weren't anywhere close to being loud enough to create the water ripples :lol ended up shaking the table but it is almost unnoticeable in the picture

i think you should re-shoot this. if i could see ripples, i would most likely vote for your image... i don't care if you have to fake it by dropping a penny in the water... re-shoot it and you'll most likely have a vote from me!

Max@GC

brerwolfe said:
i think you should re-shoot this. if i could see ripples, i would most likely vote for your image... i don't care if you have to fake it by dropping a penny in the water... re-shoot it and you'll most likely have a vote from me!

this.

brerwolfe said:

Yes.

mrkgoo

hEist said:
redo it!
more light = higher shutter speed.

great idea!

Actually, even if you just took ripples of a glass on a dashboard of a car, I think it'd ben even just as good.

And damn, I forgot that the deadline was this Thursday (thought it had passed).

RSZ_009ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 85mm 1.2L, ISO 200, 1/125 sec, f/5.0, flash

My brother is a carpenter/builder/contractor, so my first thought for this theme was to photograph one of his saws.

mrkgoo said:
I missed my chance. My housemate had a guy around with a chainsaw last week to chop some wood. Couldve made for something cool.
I swear I had this idea right after the topic was posted! My brother and I couldn't meet up until tonght. ;)

brerwolfe said:

This reminds me of the commentary on the Jurassic Park DVD where they explain how they made the ripples in the glass of water happen. IIRC, they attached a guitar string directly beneath the surface the glass was sitting on and plucked it. I'm sure you could do the same with a piece of wire or string :D

olbareun

ScientificNinja said:
This reminds me of the commentary on the Jurassic Park DVD where they explain how they made the ripples in the glass of water happen. IIRC, they attached a guitar string directly beneath the surface the glass was sitting on and plucked it. I'm sure you could do the same with a piece of wire or string :D

Yea.. creating that perfect ripple is suprisingly difficult and I was not able to create it with computer speakers (headphone ended up just becoming a prop :D ) and loud music.

The updated pic.. obviously was a result shaking the whiteboard that the cup was sitting on and you can tell by irregular ripples. I had no idea that they actually had to use use guitar string for the movie when they likely had huge sound systems.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: Lensbaby Composer
Optic: Plastic
Focal length: ~50 mm
Exposure time: 1/50 second
Aperture: f/4
ISO: 1600
Post Processing: Crop, adjust color levels, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: Sound doesn't carry through a visual medium, you've got to imply it. The Lensbaby is made for implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom