• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods 11 to support PS3 Motion Controller; Ryder Cup; not alone on the boxart

Kifimbo

Lock if old.

Lead Your Team to Glory! Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 to Feature Ryder Cup
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 to Support PlayStation 3 Motion Controlle
r

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that one of the most prestigious tournaments in golf, The Ryder Cup, will be featured in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11. In addition, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 will support Sony’s new PlayStation 3 Motion Controller to give gamers an authentic interactive swing experience. The game will be available on June 8 on the Wii™, Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3 and iPhone™ platforms.

Gamers will select a team and square off to try and bring home The Ryder Cup for their squad in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 on all console platforms. The Ryder Cup is one of the last great sporting events to be founded in prestige rather than prize money. Choose from the U.S. or European squad and participate in the various competition formats – foursomes where players hit alternate shots, fourballs and singles which traditionally bring the biennial event to a close with players going head to head. When playing The Ryder Cup mode offline, gamers will have the option to swap matches, thus giving you the ultimate control over the outcomes of other matches.

The Ryder Cup, a competition hosted by Ryder Cup Europe LLP and the PGA of America, brings together the best American and European golfers in a team competition format, and the cover of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 is a direct reflection of the tournament – as Tiger Woods denotes the U.S. team and Rory McIlroy represents the Europeans. McIlroy, hailing from Northern Ireland and currently ranked 9th according to the Official World Golf Rankings, has posted several impressive showings early in his professional golfing career. Last year, McIlroy had five top 10 PGA TOUR finishes including a third-place tie in the 2009 PGA Championship and made the cut in all four majors. As an amateur, McIlroy also has a strong history in team play events, which include appearances in the Junior Ryder Cup and Walker Cup.

“This is a huge honor for me to be the on the cover with Tiger Woods as I grew up idolizing Tiger,” said McIlroy. “The Ryder Cup has always been my favorite sporting event and the tournament is being played at The Celtic Manor Resort in Wales in 2010. Also, I’m hopeful to have an opportunity to represent the European team later in the year – it’s all very special.”

Not only will players have the ability to participate in team play but they will now be able to take a team online* via the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A first for the franchise, this all-new mode will allow up to 24 players to compete head-to-head as members of team. Team members can also talk strategy with their teammates over Xbox LIVE or PlayStation Network.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 on the Wii brings the links to your living room with two all-new enhanced swing mechanics while using the Wii MotionPlus™. The Advanced Plus swing difficulty will read rotation and swing angle while the Tour Pro swing mechanic assesses rotation, swing plane and point of contact. The Tour Pro swing features an innovative first-person camera angle from the tee box to the putting green called True View. True View creates the most immersive and authentic golf experience in any video game – you are no longer watching the golfer, you are the golfer!

Since 1986, EA has produced immersive golf experiences that give fans the ability to hit the links via an authentic gameplay experience. Since the launch of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 99 the franchise has sold more than 25 million units worldwide**. The critically acclaimed Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 on the Wii was a finalist for IGN.com’s 2009 Sports Game of the Year.

For Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 assets, go to www.info.ea.com.

2645non.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And here I thought there would be a bunch of hos on the cover with him....

Owzers

Setvan2734 said:
So its basically going to be the wii version with not needed better graphics?

Not a bad thing, especially if people can play it online with their friends who don't own a wii.

Sipowicz

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
don't be surprised if natal support is announced during e3

that's a good point. i'm guessing PS3/360 versions are their main focus now

it'll be cool to see how natal in particular works

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sipowicz said:
that's a good point. i'm guessing PS3/360 versions are their main focus now
Why? Fall and Holidays are months aways from June 8. It would be dumb to make Arc and/or Natal the main focus...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Setvan2734 said:
So its basically going to be the wii version with not needed better graphics?

looks like 'Wii' HD just came early :D , I'm quite excited tbh.

iceatcs said:
true, Hand-free golf :|

I've questioned this before and the only way I could see it work is if it could scan a real club and let you use that.

Somnid

I was talking with my friends after playing some Wii Fit Plus. Motion+ and Balance Board would create the greatest golf sim ever made. They should really try it, both users bases are big enough that even the overlap should be decent enough to think about.

<insert Tiger Woods joke here>

I really enjoyed 09, but 10 was practically identical to it. Ryder Cup is a good addition, but I don't see it thriving online as everyone just wants to play quick rounds simultaneously.

I couldn't care less what they do to the graphical engine, but they have to revamp the shot system and physics in particular.

Firewire

Banned
Somnid said:
I was talking with my friends after playing some Wii Fit Plus. Motion+ and Balance Board would create the greatest golf sim ever made. They should really try it, both users bases are big enough that even the overlap should be decent enough to think about.

But what about the vitality sensor?

spwolf

and there you go my friends - thats what standard controller SDK does to you. I suspect for the devs, very low amount of work is needed compared to dual shock controls, so they have new feature basically for free.

iceatcs

lowrider007 said:
I've questioned this before and the only way I could see it work is if it could scan a real club and let you use that.
If I might get 3DTV on fall, I will be very scary to use the club.

ZZMitch

gluv65 said:
That's pretty cool, the PSeye can do that as well, all it is, is software. This could have been done a long time ago.

Ok? Did I mention the PSeye? He just asked how it would work, and I answered him. No need to bring anything like that up.

gluv65 said:
That's pretty cool, the PSeye can do that as well, all it is, is software. This could have been done a long time ago.

No way you can do that with the crappy PSeye camera. RGB can't track that ish! Natal has 3 cameras for a reason, and there's a reason it hasn't been done before..

[Nintex]

ElFly said:
Shit will get real at the moment of comparing Wii vs PS3 implementation of motion control.
Not really, they both use LiveMove 2 so there won't be much of a difference, well except for the fact that we'll get the full technological explanation on how Sony's controller works and that we should never forget about the PSEye.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
TheLegendary said:
No way you can do that with the crappy PSeye camera. RGB can't track that ish! Natal has 3 cameras for a reason, and there's a reason it hasn't been done before..

To be fair we've yet to see if even Natal can do it yet, I'm dubious as to whether it can track something as thin as a club tbh, if it can then Natal should be about to track finger movements no?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
lowrider007 said:
Relax, we've yet to see if even Natal can do it yet, I'm dubious as to whether it can track something as thin as a club tbh, if it can then Natal should be about to track finger movements no?
Im sure it can track a club, but at what speed?

Haunted

Makes sense.

Wonder whether they'll include classic controls for the core gamers hating on motion controls.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
Makes sense.

Wonder whether they'll include classic controls for the core gamers hating on motion controls.
Im sure they will, since the game is releasing earlier than Arc.

Firewire

Banned
Haunted said:
Makes sense.

Just thinking this myself, because I'm not touching motion controls at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheLegendary said:

Do we know how sensible/accurate Natal is in tracking minor movements both in terms of speed and distance? Thinking about on the green action, where you do very minimal wrist torsions. Can Natal detect all that, including angle, by just looking at your hands? I also wonder how it can keep track of [whatever you are holding in your hands] during the swing motion (since you are watched from the front, your body would hide portions of your arms/hands during the swing).

lowrider007 said:
To be fair we've yet to see if even Natal can do it yet, I'm dubious as to whether it can track something as thin as a club tbh, if it can then Natal should be about to track finger movements no?

My point still stands; if Natal can't do it does that guy really think a crappy webcam could do it?? :lol I didn't mean that Natal certainly could...I just know that PSeye certainly cant.

But finger movements are infinitely more complex than a golf club. You have 5 independent digits with absolutely infinite movement variables. A golf club is a single straight object that cannot be flexed or adjusted itself...which makes its movement a lot easier to follow.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I really do not think EA will be scanning in real golf clubs for their game. The mere idea of a real golf club anywhere near my home electronics is giving me mild palpitations :lol

Maybe they could track your arm or something though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TheLegendary said:
My point still stands; if Natal can't do it does that guy really think a crappy webcam could do it?? :lol I didn't mean that Natal certainly could...I just know that PSeye certainly cant.

But finger movements are infinitely more complex than a golf club. You have 5 independent digits with absolutely infinite movement variables. A golf club is a single straight object that cannot be flexed or adjusted itself...which makes its movement a lot easier to follow.
It's the webcam+wand that would work the magic.

gofreak said:
I really do not think EA will be scanning in real golf clubs for their game. The mere idea of a real golf club anywhere near my home electronics is giving me mild palpitations :lol

Maybe they could track your arm or something though.

You could have accessories just like those crappy Wii peripherals you stick onto the top of your wii-mote...except this will actually have a function.

Lonely1 said:
It's the webcam+wand that would work the magic.

Again..I'm not arguing that. I'm responding to this guy's argument that it could've been done a long time ago when it clearly could not.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TTP said:
Do we know how sensible/accurate Natal is in tracking minor movements both in terms of speed and distance? Thinking about on the green action, where you do very minimal wrist torsions. Can Natal detect all that, including angle, by just looking at your hands? I also wonder how it can keep track of [whatever you are holding in your hands] during the swing motion (since you are watched from the front, your body would hide portions of your arms/hands during the swing).
There's more to a a golf swing than just the arm movement - weight shift is a big part of things as well. Something Natal or the PS camera can't really track. The balance board would be able to track that easily, of course.

There really isn't anything a WM+/balance board or Natal or PS3 wand/camera solution can do that will approach a professional golf simulator setup. Too many parts to track.

Top Bottom