• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

38 Studios/EA Partners Sort Of Announce Project Mercury (360/PS3/PC RPG)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
38 Studios has officially announced their first game, Project Mercury, an RPG for the 360/PS3/PC.

It's being developed by their subsidiary Big Huge Games and lead by Ken Rolston, the lead designer for both Morrowind and Oblivion.

Beyond this, there are no details, but judging by the press release we seem to have a game that combines the writing of R.A. Salvatore, the art of Todd MacFarlane, and the game design of Oblivion, which I'm sure for some is the ultimate nightmare while for others is a dream come true. I shall abstain from choosing sides.

EA Press said:
EA Signs Publishing Deal with 38 Studios

Epic RPG from Studio Founded by World Series MVP Curt Schilling to be Published by EA Partners
Game Developers Conference 2010

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced an agreement with 38 Studios, LLC to publish the company’s first video game, an epic single-player role-playing game codenamed ‘Project Mercury’. 38 Studios is the creative enterprise of World Series MVP and avid gamer Curt Schilling. ‘Project Mercury’ is being developed at Big Huge Games, a wholly-owned subsidiary of 38 Studios, under the leadership of Ken Rolston, former lead designer of the critically acclaimed hits, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The game marks the first entry into the company’s vast universe created by New York Times best-selling fantasy author R. A. Salvatore, with artistic direction by Todd McFarlane, renowned artist and creator of Spawn.

“From day one, 38 Studios has been focused on creating the next generation of entertainment experiences that embrace all mediums, including film, television, comics, novels, toys and, of course, games,” said Curt Schilling, Founder and Chairman of 38 Studios. “We are creating an enormous world, with heroes and villains and a rich back story from the brilliant minds of R. A., Todd and Ken at its heart, and I can think of no finer partner than the global powerhouse that is EA Partners. Being able to leverage the expertise of EA's publishing organization to bring our first product to market is a dream come true for 38 Studios."

“We are thrilled to be working with 38 Studios. The world of RPG gaming is so rich and it is a perfect complement to our partners and title portfolio in EAP,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “Project Mercury is bursting with first-rate talent, with passion that spans across the board, from Curt to R. A. to Todd and Ken. We look forward to collaborating with them to create an amazing game set in this incredible new world.”

R. A. Salvatore, who has sold over 15 million books worldwide, will be at the Game Developer’s Conference in San Francisco this week speaking about the creative process of building fantasy worlds. His lecture, entitled “From Fantasy to Franchise: How to Build a Universe Worthy of Devotion”, will take place on Thursday, March 11th from 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM in Room 306 in South Hall at the Moscone Center. Salvatore will discuss his past experiences in writing and games, as well as touch upon his role at 38 Studios as Executive Creator of Worlds.

Project Mercury will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, and PC. For more information about 38 Studios, please visit www.38studios.com.
Source: http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/i...gId=1012492&newsId=20100309005582&newsLang=en

sohois

I thought Big Huge Games closed down? Regardless this is a day one for me judging by the talent involved

I am completely surprised that the first game from a studio owned by Curt Schilling is an RPG.

See this is my surprised face : |

Akia

I hope things pay off for 38 Studios. Curt's invested a lot of cash into this MMO and Big Huge's RPG.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I gotta laugh that less than a month after game journalists incorrectly misinterpreted "We expect annual revenues for EA Partners to be lower" as "EA is scaling back EA partners", we've had at least 6 EA Partners announcements (Crysis 2, Rock Band Green Day, Deathspank, Shank, Wheel of Time Obsidian devved game, this game)

And I'm assuming the Starbreeze and Mikami projects as well as Portal 2 will be EA Partners, and that they'll also renew their Rock Band contract for RB3.

Iksenpets

Banned
I read that title to mean that EA had assembled some sort of supergroup of 38 separate studios to make one game. Please tell me I wasn't alone in that.

Anyway, an RPG from the director of Morrowind and Oblivion and publishes through EA Partners pretty much automatically has my attention.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stumpokapow said:
I gotta laugh that less than a month after game journalists incorrectly misinterpreted "We expect annual revenues for EA Partners to be lower" as "EA is scaling back EA partners", we've had at least 6 EA Partners announcements (Crysis 2, Rock Band Green Day, Deathspank, Shank, Wheel of Time Obsidian devved game, this game)

And I'm assuming the Starbreeze and Mikami projects as well as Portal 2 will be EA Partners, and that they'll also renew their Rock Band contract for RB3.
Correct you are. MTV just announced that Rock Band 3 will be distributed by EA: http://kotaku.com/5489368/rock-band-3-revolutionizes-the-music-genre-this-holiday-season

The only one I'm not sure about is the Starbreeze project, since one of the two is actually being made with EA's IP, so that might just fall under the "Games" label.

Rainier

Iksenpets said:
I read that title to mean that EA had assembled some sort of supergroup of 38 separate studios to make one game. Please tell me I wasn't alone in that.
Same here. Thought a bunch of studios banded together to finish off the Wii once and for all.

I just saw an interview(not sure how recent it was taped) with Curt Schilling and he said the console game in development at Big Huge Games was tied into an MMO codenamed Copernicus in development at 38 Studios in Boston.

SuperBonk

After seeing the Big Huge Games panel at PAX and learning their history, I wish them all the luck with this and the future. :)

Eteric Rice

I will buy this, mainly because Curt is cool enough to post on the FoH boards about his games (even if he gets chewed out by angry MMO players), and because I'm kind of craving a good WRPG.

Could have sworn he was working on an MMO, though.

Mr Jared

An MMORPG? For consoles? No way, man, I'm not getting hype. I want to see MMO's on consoles so bad but it seems like everything except FFXI gets canceled or trapped in limbo.

I'm really interested in seeing what 38 Studios creates so I plan on keeping watch, but man ... I just can't get excited over console MMO's anymore. It just ends in sadness :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's Big Huge without Brian Reynolds.

Not sure where he ended up, would really like to find out though, he's one of the sharpest designers in the biz.

GWX

Mr Jared said:
An MMORPG? For consoles? No way, man, I'm not getting hype. I want to see MMO's on consoles so bad but it seems like everything except FFXI gets canceled or trapped in limbo.

I'm really interested in seeing what 38 Studios creates so I plan on keeping watch, but man ... I just can't get excited over console MMO's anymore. It just ends in sadness :(

?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sinatar said:
It's Big Huge without Brian Reynolds.

Not sure where he ended up, would really like to find out though, he's one of the sharpest designers in the biz.
He's the chief designer at Zynga, the makers of Farmville.

Bizzyb

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
That's a lot of studios.

Could you imagine if 38 different studios actually came together to make one of the hugest most ambitious epic games off all time?

Pooya

Reveal at comic-con
July 22nd 1:15-2:15 World Premiere of the First Game From 38 Studios— Be among the first in the world to see the video game debut from Curt Schilling's 38 Studios. Hear from the visionaries who have teamed up to create this highly anticipated RPG and the rich world it is set in, including 38 Studios' executive art director Todd McFarlane (Spawn, Spider-Man), executive creator of worlds R. A. Salvatore (Forgotten Realms), lead designer Ken Rolston (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion), and founder and chairman Curt Schilling. Learn all about this ambitious new project as 38 Studios unveils the name of the game along with the world premiere of the game's first trailer directed by McFarlane. Attendees will also receive a limited-edition poster. Room 6A

Comic-Con

YES BRING IT ON !!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

209958-richgalluppimp_large.jpg

Top Bottom