• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Unveils Unreal Engine 3 Foliage Technology

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Unfortunately Kotaku is the only place I could find hosting these, so the resolution is a tad small and they're a bit fuzzy. If someone has larger or less compressed images, I'll update the OP.

Update:

This may be a leaked video of a Gears of War 3 tech demo that eek5 found. We'll probably find out based on whether it gets taken down soon or not. You may want to save backups in case you want to watch it again later or re-upload it.

eek5 said:
Thanks a ton eek5!

---

23v5l1.jpg

169nh3c.jpg

11ce5uf.jpg

wwkzma.jpg

5n3ukn.jpg

zl42gh.jpg

2uj78za.jpg

2dtys0h.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/5492714/do-you-want-gears-of-war-3-to-look-like-this/gallery/

Perhaps Borderlands 2 might have some forest or jungle settings...that'd be awesome!

I think those pics look pretty good, all things considered. Lots of room for some interesting foliage.

Grayman

"Epic Unveils Unreal Engine 3 Foliage Technology"
Which part is the technology here?
-Could UE3 not make grass/plants like that at all before?
-Has making those scenes been made easier?
-Is it doing this automagically?

Speedtree has been integrated with UE3 for years now, there has been no reason devs couldn't have had foliage before now. The new 5.1 trees look better than ever(which I'm almost certain is what we are seeing in those screenshots).

Blizzard

Banned
atkbob said:
Grey and brown

... 4 years later...

Green and brown
Yeah, true...
4k7h1d.jpg

2w6ykpv.jpg

Wait what.

Grayman said:
"Epic Unveils Unreal Engine 3 Foliage Technology"
Which part is the technology here?
-Could UE3 not make grass/plants like that at all before?
-Has making those scenes been made easier?
-Is it doing this automagically?
I've only messed with the Unreal Editor a bit with Mirror's Edge and the UDK, but I don't really know of any UDK games with lots of grass and plants. Mirror's Edge especially is rather barren even with a couple of foliage node thingies in the system. UT3 had a map or two with a jungle-ish environment, but I seem to recall it was mostly static stuff and textures. This could be totally static and with prebaked lighting as well, but if it's prebaked with Lightmass or especially if the leaves etc. move and cast dynamic shadows, I would be impressed.

So I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that it was maybe POSSIBLE to do this sort of thing before, but perhaps not as easy and perhaps not as nice? If it's now easy, nice, and going to be included in the UDK for people to freely use, I will be pleased. :D

Top Bottom