• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Megami Tensei Chronology (aka decades of Atlus milking Megaten)

randomkid

I love the Megaten franchise, these games are just about perfect for my particular sensibilities, and so given some time to kill I decided to research the history of the series in order to answer a specific question. I had a gut feeling a while ago that multiple rereleases and Persona games were diluting the Megaten brand, and wanted to confirm that Megaten as a series was managed judiciously in the past. Boy was I wrong as fuck!

I had an idea that Megaten was expansive, but Jesus, I had no clue of the sheer quantity of ports, remakes and rereleases Atlus had churned out over the years, to say nothing of the downright random/obscure games or previously unheard of entries in other subseries. Here are some fun facts that I’m sure some of you guys knew, but were news to me:

-There have been seven Last Bible retail game releases, including two games for the Game Gear (???!)
-The original Persona was ported to Windows in 1999.
-The Devil Children series includes a puzzle game, and an adaptation of the Devil Children collectible card game.
-Atlus developed a free browser-based Persona RPG called Persona Ain Soph that seems to have been derived from another browser-based game (Persona 3: The Night Before)
-Megami Tensei for the PC88 was actually a completely different game from the original Famicom Megami Tensei.

Anyways enough buildup, here’s the list. My sources were the amazing oft-cited Hardcore Gaming 101 article on the Megaten series, this excellent Wikipedia list, and another list I found in a Gamefaqs post whose origin I can’t seem to track down properly.

In order to keep my sanity, I limited the list to retail real life store releases only. That means the free browser RPGs, Virtual Console, PSN, iOS and eShop ports, and the Majin Tensei ports to i-revo on PC (which I think is some sort of Japanese browser based rental service?) don’t count. This means I also didn’t include the many many mobile Megaten games, although I will post my partially complete list below in another section and ask for help filling it out.

So here it is! All the Japanese Megaten games:

Megami Tensei (Famicom)
Megami Tensei (PC88)
Megami Tensei (MSX)
Megami Tensei (Sharp X1)
Megami Tensei (Fujitsu FM77AV)

Megami Tensei II (Famicom)

Shin Megami Tensei (SF)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (GB)

Shin Megami Tensei (PC Engine)
Last Bible II (GB)

Shin Megami Tensei (Sega CD)
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (SF)
Majin Tensei (SF)
Shin Megami Tensei II (SF)
Shin Megami Tensei If… (SF)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (Game Gear)

Majin Tensei II: Spiral Nemesis (SF)
Jack Bros. (VB)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Saturn)
Another Bible (GB)
Last Bible III (SF)
Last Bible Special (Game Gear)

Devil Summoner Devil Dictionary (Saturn)
Persona (PS1)

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Saturn)
Giten Megami Tensei: Tokyo Mokushiroku (PC98)
Majin Tensei: Ronde (Saturn)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Devil Dictionary (Saturn)

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (PS1)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Devil Dictionary (PS1)

Giten Megami Tensei: Tokyo Mokushiroku (Windows PC)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS1)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (GBC)
Last Bible II (GBC)
Persona (Windows)

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)
Devil Children: Red Book (GBC)
Devil Children: Black Book (GBC)

Shin Megami Tensei (PS1)
Devil Children: Card Summoner (GBC)
Devil Children: White Book (GBC)

Shin Megami Tensei II (PS1)
Shin Megami Tensei If…(PS1)
Devil Children: Red/Black Book (PS1)
Devil Children: Book of Light (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Darkness (GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei Nine (Xbox)

Shin Megami Tensei (GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei II (GBA)
Shin Megami Tensei III (PS2)
Devil Children: Puzzle de Call! (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Fire (GBA)
Devil Children: Book of Ice (GBA)

Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs (PS2)
Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
Devil Children: Messiah Riser (GBA)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (PSP)
Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army (PS2)
Persona 3 (PS2)

Persona 3 FES (PS2)

Shin Megami Tensei III Raidou Edition (PS2)
Persona 4 (PS2)
Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon (PS2)
Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine (Windows PC)

Devil Survivor (DS)
Persona (PSP)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)
Persona 3 Portable (PSP)

Persona 2 Portable: Innocent Sin (PSP)
Devil Survivor 2 (DS)
Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)

Persona 4 Arena (Arcades)
Persona 2 Portable: Eternal Punishment (PSP)
Persona 4 Golden (Vita)
Persona 4 Arena (PS3/360)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)

So all told, we have 77 individual Megaten retail releases between 1987 and 2012. If you remove the encyclopedia software and direct ports (or ports with extremely minimal changes), there are 62 Megaten games. And If you remove remakes, enhanced ports and rereleases, there are still 47 retail Megaten games.

Needless to say, Atlus’ treatment of Persona is nothing new at all. I mean seriously, check out the hellacious milking Devil Children endured between 2000 and 2003 (ten games!) I also know that some of these games actually weren't published by Atlus (I believe Sega did the Game Gear games, and the original Megami Tensei ports were done by Telenet, am I missing anything else?). Nevertheless, it's quite a list, but the series has been around since 1987 and is doing just fine, so Atlus clearly knows what it's doing.

Also, here’s my partial list of mobile games, I know there are some Last Bible games I’m missing. So any bored enterprising folks who’ve got some names, help a brother out!

Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner: A's TEST Server
Persona Mobile Online
Majin Tensei: Blind Thinker
Shin Megami Tensei: 20XX
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Colosseum 20XX
Shin Megami Tensei: Tokyo Requiem
Megami Tensei
Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei If: Hazama Chapter
Shin Megami Tensei II Gaiden: Ma to Houkai
Megami Ibunroku Persona: Ikuu no Tou Hen
Megami Tensei QIX: Persona 3
Megami Tensei CHANGING SOUL: Persona 3
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers Intruder
Shin Megami Tensei Pinball: Judgment
Aegis: The First Mission
Persona 2 Tsumi: Lost Memories
Persona 2 Batsu: Infinity Mask
Persona 3 Social
Persona 3 Em
Persona 3 Broken Shadow
Persona 3 Illust Puzzle
Persona 3 Escape
Chaining Soul: Persona 3
Persona 4 Social
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Hunter Zero
Demikids Social
Last Bible Cellphone Games?

In any case, I’m sure I’ve made mistakes in both lists, so for the five of you who care, please let me know if you spot any omissions or errors and I’ll update.

Anyways, hope this was interesting to at least one of you! It was oddly fun for me to research.

Out there somewhere there's a Japanese person who owns every single one of those, probably displayed in mint condition on a shelf.

Kishgal

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Out there somewhere there's a Japanese person who owns every single one of those, probably displayed in mint condition on a shelf.
I have almost all of this stuff, except I gave up on Devil Children after only one game, and I don't have either Game Gear release. And they're not mint. :\ Oh, and no mobile games.

RickA238

Awesome awesome series, one of my favorite in all of gaming. I'm glad to own quite a few of these. I still have fond memories of buying Persona on a whim back in '98 and trying to figure out all the weird shit as a preteen.

Does anyone know if they've made any progress on the fan translation of If..., Devil Summoner, and Soul Hackers? I've tried to play them, but the original text is way too advanced for me to try and figure out while still enjoying the game.

Larsen B said:
I also didn't state whether they were consistently good, bad or average.

Saying "ridiculous quality consistency" means that they consistently released quality (I.E. good) products.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood but I'm sure you can understand why.

Shin Megami Tensei (Sega CD)
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (SF)
Majin Tensei (SF)
Shin Megami Tensei II (SF)
Shin Megami Tensei If… (SF)
Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (Game Gear)

Ahh the memories

when they simultaneously announce 6 different versions of smt5 for different platforms or start releasing persona soccer, persona tennis, persona kart, persona golf and so on, we'll talk about milking

randomkid

Kishgal said:
I have almost all of this stuff, except I gave up on Devil Children after only one game, and I don't have either Game Gear release. And they're not mint. :\ Oh, and no mobile games.

Cool, have you played Last Bible III? That's a game whose existence shocked me, a full blown Super Famicom RPG in that series, who would have thought?

The second Game Gear Last Bible looks so cool too, the art style is really awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Megaten is one of those series that I delight in playing the retro titles, even if I know fully well I'll never finish any of them.

TheChillyAcademic said:
You're in luck.

They couldn't be more different.
So I hear. I got sick of Pokemon. Game fucking cheats! And has stupid difficulty spikes that require more grinding than I have patience for. But, that's beside the point.

Made it through the intro and just got the Pixie. I should probably track down the official thread.

vocab

Aljosa said:
My mouth is positioned for the SMT milk.

Edit: Wow that sounds wrong..

Pretty sure SMT milk would make you orgasm just from tasting it.

Volcynika said:
From Mara, right?

Only if it taste good.

cory said:
45 Megaten games in 22 years, at this rate, they'll never get to Megaleven.

Going back to nine was hard enough

xbox_g_nine.gif

Odious Tea said:
So I hear. I got sick of Pokemon. Game fucking cheats! And has stupid difficulty spikes that require more grinding than I have patience for. But, that's beside the point.

Made it through the intro and just got the Pixie. I should probably track down the official thread.

You are, once again, in luck.

SJ is likely one of the better JRPGs released in the past, dunno, 3 years that isn't a SMT (or spin off) title. Have you played Devil Survivor?

thetrin said:
Megaten is one of those series that I delight in playing the retro titles, even if I know fully well I'll never finish any of them.
Indeed, the old games had a unique qualities that other games on their respective consoles were missing. How many other SNES games start with going to get groceries for your mom, seeing a guy get ripped to shreds by a demon on the way, going back to find a Demon Summoning program, later coming back home to
find that your Mom was killed and replaced by a demon impostor, and deciding to fuse your beloved dog with a demon
?

However, the unpleasant difficulty (It definitely jumps up after the first major boss), and the standard pitfalls associated with first-person dungeons from that time (same-y looking hallways, a nearly-useless map that's inconvenient to bring up), means that it's quite a challenge to get through.

randomkid

Oh, I guess I should say what Megaten games I actually have. I own all of the ones that were released in America except for the following:

Jack Bros.
Revelations: Demon Slayer
Demikids (either version)
Persona 2

Man I can't believe I passed on Persona 2 back in the day, I'd kill for a reasonably priced copy. Uh, if anyone's interested in a trade, I think the only game I've got that's probably equivalent in value is Lunar:Silver Star Story complete (comes with all the goodies in great condition). So if anyone has a copy of Persona 2 you'll never play and wanna trade, shoot me a PM I guess!

Nairume

Banned
Zero-Crescent said:
Indeed, the old games had a unique qualities that other games on their respective consoles were missing. How many other SNES games start with going to get groceries for your mom, seeing a guy get ripped to shreds by a demon on the way, going back to find a Demon Summoning program, later coming back home to
find that your Mom was killed and replaced by a demon impostor, and deciding to fuse your beloved dog with a demon
?

However, the unpleasant difficulty (It definitely jumps up after the first major boss), and the standard pitfalls associated with first-person dungeons from that time (same-y looking hallways, a nearly-useless map that's inconvenient to bring up), means that it's quite a challenge to get through.

Let's not forget that SMT2 has you playing as
a genetically engineered Jesus

It's still difficult, though it at least fixed the problems SMT1 had with its mapping, level design, and clunky menus.

Yaweee

randomkid said:
Oh, I guess I should say what Megaten games I actually have. I own all of the ones that were released in America except for the following:

Jack Bros.
Persona 2

Man I can't believe I passed on Persona 2 back in the day, I'd kill for a reasonably priced copy. Uh, if anyone's interested in a trade, I think the only game I've got that's probably equivalent in value is Lunar:Silver Star Story complete (comes with all the goodies in great condition). So if anyone has a copy of Persona 2 you'll never play and wanna trade, shoot me a PM I guess!

Wow, I had no idea price surged up again, even with the recent reprint.

The extraordinary success of the various Persona remake/ports for PSP basically ensures that there will be a PSP version of IS/EP eventually. It's been about a year since the JP version of Persona PSP, so we might be getting news somewhat soon, especially with EO3 launched.

Kishgal

Banned
MoogPaul said:
Persona is not a Megami Tensei game. That title is only on the non-Japanese version of the games.
Well, Persona is not a Shin Megami Tensei game. It is a part of the Megami Tensei series umbrella, however. Lots of other games on the list are similar.

randomkid

Yaweee said:

The extraordinary success of the various Persona remake/ports for PSP basically ensures that there will be a PSP version of IS/EP eventually. It's been about a year since the JP version of Persona PSP, so we might be getting news somewhat soon, especially with EO3 launched.

Yeah I'm hoping for a PSP version too, but I still want to play through a copy of the original PS1 version. Even though I thought the enhanced PSP port of Persona was fantastic, I still missed the original game's music.

I don't think Eternal Punishment ever got a real reprint, Atlus found like a handful of copies that were sold out within a couple of hours about a year ago, many of which showed up on ebay the day after. I understand the allure of collecting since I want a nice copy for myself, but really I just want to play through the game, it won't be sitting on my shelf unplayed collecting dust.

Yaweee

randomkid said:
Yeah I'm hoping for a PSP version too, but I still want to play through a copy of the original PS1 version. Even though I thought the enhanced PSP port of Persona was fantastic, I still missed the original game's music.

I don't think Eternal Punishment ever got a real reprint, Atlus found like a handful of copies that were sold out within a couple of hours about a year ago, many of which showed up on ebay the day after. I understand the allure of collecting since I want a nice copy for myself, but really I just want to play through the game, it won't be sitting on my shelf unplayed collecting dust.

Don't feel bad about missing the original versions. The IS/EP battle system/interface needs a ton of work, so hopefully that is on top of the remake team's priority list.

Lard

Banned
Yaweee said:

There will never be an English version of Innocent Sin. :(

Chorazin

Demi-Kids were pretty fun games, pretty much Pokemon with demons. I have them both but only played the Dark version.

randomkid said:

Jack Bros.
Persona 2

Ha, I'm missing almost exactly the same games, except replace Persona 2 with Devil Survivor.

Link1110

randomkid said:

Jack Bros.
Persona 2

Not looking for Lunar, but if you have and want to trade for Tales of Vesperia for PS3, PM me.

r09

randomkid said:
In any case, I’m sure I’ve made mistakes in both lists, so for the five of you who care, please let me know if you spot any omissions or errors and I’ll update.

Just a minor addition: Telenet Japan's Megami Tensei was also released for the Sharp X1 and the Fujitsu FM77AV (two Japan-only computers). It looks, sounds and plays pretty much the same as the PC-88 version, though.

C-Jo

mjemirzian said:
I have about half of these, displayed in mint condition on a shelf. One day the rest shall be mine.

Yaweee said:
Don't feel bad about missing the original versions. The IS/EP battle system/interface needs a ton of work, so hopefully that is on top of the remake team's priority list.
IS/EP battle system is fine. All that needs to be done is to implement the EP modifications into IS to speed up the random battles.

Lard said:
There will never be an English version of Innocent Sin. :(
Gemini/Tom's english fan-translation was great.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's pretty cool that i have finished / played most of those games (the good ones at least) with the exception of soul hackers. (really needs a english translation) persona 1 & 2 EP, and the first two SMT games. Need to get around to playing them.

Top Bottom