• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patrick Rothfuss' A Wise Man's Fear release date set for March 1, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
announced by the author himself -- http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/04/

WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

58-2.jpg

The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day 2: The Wise Man's Fear

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man." An escalating rivalry with a powerful member of the nobility forces Kvothe to leave the University and seek his fortune abroad. Adrift, penniless, and alone, he travels to Vintas, where he quickly becomes entangled in the politics of courtly society. While attempting to curry favor with a powerful noble, Kvothe discovers an assassination attempt, comes into conflict with a rival arcanist, and leads a group of mercenaries into the wild, in an attempt to solve the mystery of who (or what) is waylaying travelers on the King's road. All the while, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived. Under her tutelage, Kvothe learns much about true magic and the ways of women. In The Wise Man's Fear Kvothe takes his first steps on the path of the hero and learns how difficult life can be when a man becomes a legend in his own time.

Release Date: March 1, 2011 (North america)

for those not familiar with The Kingkiller Chronicle, check out book one.

23-5.jpg

The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day 1: The Name of the Wind

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.

Excerpt: http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/book1ex.asp

Gary Whitta said:
Hell yes.

Oh, indeed.

Joe Abercrombie's next novel, The Heroes, will be out around the same time; as with Matthew Stover's next Caine book. And, if Scott Lynch can send in his final draft this year as well, 2011 might be a magical year for epic/action-oriented fantasy.*

* I won't mention that long-awaited book for fear of jinxing things.

Tim the Wiz said:
Oh, indeed.

Joe Abercrombie's next novel, The Heroes, will be out around the same time; as with Matthew Stover's next Caine book. And, if Scott Lynch can send in his final draft this year as well, 2011 might be a magical year for epic/action-oriented fantasy.*

Lynch's final draft was sent in on 1/27/2010. Might even be out this year.

http://forums.terrybrooks.net/PostView.aspx?postid=821917

Trilogy was written years ago, huh... way to over-promise and under-deliver.

At any rate, Lynch is suffering from depression and anxiety, so his third book is probably delayed. Still, his second book doesn't give me much hope for the third being any good.

Ceebs

Judging by the pictures of the draft on his blog, this book will be heavy enough to murder things with.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This should be sweet. I already plowed through the Night Angel Trilogy while waiting, and once I get thru the Joe Abercrombie books, I'm gonna be hurtin' for something to read :lol

I'm pumped for this book. Day 1!

tokkun

Yeah, I was pretty hyped when the announcement showed up in my RSS feed, then instantly deflated when I saw that it was still a full 10 months off. I was really hoping it would come out this year. I don't live that far from Rothfuss, so I'm hoping that he will do a first signing or release party.

Salazar

Oh, the surprise of finding out that the v was pronounced as a w.

Not that it makes it markedly less absurd a name.

JeTmAn81

:D I haven't read this guy's books yet, but I took a course from him in college so I think it's cool that he's made it big.

Adam Blade said:
... >_>

Wow Tim, I thought The Steel Remains was terrible. Morgan should just stick with sci-fi.

It was better than the newcomers which came out in the same period - Night Angel trilogy and The Painted Man - at least. Besides, I enjoyed watching Ringil's transformation. The worst thing that can be attributed to it, I think, is the grandiose essay Morgan wrote ahead of its release, talking about how adult and superior his fantasy series would be in comparison to Lord of the Rings.

Dresden

Tim the Wiz said:
It was better than the newcomers which came out in the same period - Night Angel trilogy and The Painted Man - at least. Besides, I enjoyed watching Ringil's transformation. The worst thing that can be attributed to it, I think, is the grandiose essay Morgan wrote ahead of its release, talking about how adult and superior his fantasy series would be in comparison to Lord of the Rings.
I remember reading that! It was amazing how much of an ass he made himself out to be.:lol And I love (some) of his books.

Tim the Wiz said:

... yeah, I really don't agree with you at all. This statement is so factually incorrect that I can't wrap my head around it. D:

elwes

This makes my night. Rothfuss is the only that I've felt compelled to track via their homepage. He seems like a pretty awesome guy and his blogs are genuinely funny.

I don't think we'll be hearing anything on Mr. Lynch's third book for a while. From the sound of his last Livejournal post, he hasn't gotten any work done in quite a long time. Not just the delaying sort of depression, but the life stopping kind. The prologue was quite interesting though, and I have way more hope for RoT than I did for Red Seas.

Read this earlier on Pat's blog. Was happy with his decision to fine tune the series, and I'm even a bit worried he may be getting ahead of himself with this deadline. The end of tNotW was extremely lackluster given the rest of the book, and he's stated rushing it as the reason why before. You aren't quite Martin's age yet Pat, take your time.

Ryu

Awesome. I have about 150 pages left of book 1 and love it so far. Honestly not looking forward to lugging the hardcover of book 2 to and fro on the train, haha.

Adam Blade said:
... yeah, I really don't agree with you at all. This statement is so factually incorrect that I can't wrap my head around it. D:

:lol "Factually incorrect". Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Thinking back to (what little I can remember of) genre fiction in 2008, which was not its best year and when The Steel Remains was released, I would still place it as a good but flawed read alongside Toll The Hounds (which I felt had a memorable ending, in spite of the usual, by this point, Malazan crawl through the middle), ahead of - as said - the Night Angel Trilogy and The Painted Man and behind stuff like Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings, Abraham's An Autumn War and Kearney's The Ten Thousand. So, yes, I certainly feel there's potential for The Dark Commands to be the novel that takes Morgan's fantasy series into greener pastures.

Micius

Good stuff. I had my doubts before reading the first book but I found myself enjoying it immensely, even if it felt a bit uneven here and there. Looking forwards to more Kvothe. :D

Tim the Wiz said:
Oh, indeed.

must not fap

The Heroes and Wise Mans Fear around the same time? Possibly a Dance with Dragons around the same time or releasing that fall with Game of Thrones on HBO that spring?

smh...

just too good.

Looks like I'll have to read the Name of the Wind again but I don't mind at all. Great read.

Thinking about it now though...for a book that seems probably months ahead of a Dance with Dragons in terms of completion this probably isn't good news for Dances released date :\

syllogism

This isn't really the thread for it, but I read The Gentleman Bastards books 1&2 based on GAF recommendation, and while I found the first book somewhat entertaining, by the end of the book 2 I was reconsidering my initially semipositive impressions of book 1. Poorly written even by the low standards of the genre, no overarching plot to speak of and the conclusion of book 2 was quite unsatisfying and, well, dumb. I suppose it's teenage fantasy ala Dragonlance.

Ryu

Gary Whitta said:

I see plenty of people using them on caltrain and they're nice for sure, but the cost for me is prohibitive when I'm thinking about that along with a gen2 iPad next year. I'll just have to deal with the weight while I wait for the iPad2.0. :)

Fucking awesome :D:D:D

Although, waiting nearly a year is going to be painful. At least I know when I will have to start re-reading The Name of the Wind.

syllogism said:
This isn't really the thread for it, but I read The Gentleman Bastards books 1&2 based on GAF recommendation, and while I found the first book somewhat entertaining, by the end of the book 2 I was reconsidering my initially semipositive impressions of book 1. Poorly written even by the low standards of the genre, no overarching plot to speak of and the conclusion of book 2 was quite unsatisfying and, well, dumb. I suppose it's teenage fantasy ala Dragonlance.

Dragonlance?

281a3d2.jpg

Decado

Tim the Wiz said:
Oh, indeed.

Interesting. Another stand alone book for Joe Abercrombie? Too bad about him; his first two books are among my favourites, but I rather soured on him after his last two (well, Best Served Cold wasn't too bad).

As much as I'm looking forward to Wise Man's Fear, I'm not sure how kean I am to get engaged in a series from yet another author who cannot release novels in a timely fashion. Three years per book is too much, IMO.

Decado said:
Interesting. Another stand alone book for Joe Abercrombie? Too bad about him; his first two books are among my favourites, but I rather soured on him after his last two (well, Best Served Cold wasn't too bad).

This man speaks da troof.

Decado said:
As much as I'm looking forward to Wise Man's Fear, I'm not sure how kean I am to get engaged in a series from yet another author who cannot release novels in a timely fashion. Three years per book is too much, IMO.

Actually it'll be 4, but who's counting?

Anyways, you are much more factually correct about fantasy fiction than Tim the Wiz, I might say.

Adam Blade said:
Anyways, you are much more factually correct about fantasy fiction than Tim the Wiz, I might say.

So, if someone shares similar personal foibles that you have with certain fantasy books, they are deemed more factually correct about the genre? Nice set-up you have there.

w1ndst0rm

'Finally pre-orderd mine.
About three weeks to go. Are any gaffers going to make it to any parts of his tour? I might make the four hour trip to Madison, WI.

tokkun

w1ndst0rm said:
'Finally pre-orderd mine.
About three weeks to go. Are any gaffers going to make it to any parts of his tour? I might make the four hour trip to Madison, WI.

Yeah, I'm going to that very one.

I've gone to one of his readings/signings before. Expect him to spend some time talking about whatever t-shirt he is wearing that day.

tokkun

Adam Blade said:
I intend to ask him about why he's lied about his books being completed.

He has talked about it before. The reason is that he is borderline-OCD perfectionist and will do hundreds of rewrites between the first complete draft and the final manuscript. I think he said that he had read The Name of the Wind from start to finish over 300 times.

mjc

Its finally coming out. He even beat GRRM to the punch, for shame.

I'd go to the Madison reading/signing but I think I'm gonna be tied up.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm super pumped. When I was reading The Name of the Wind I was thinking "this is nothing special" but then I realized I'd been reading it for HOURS at a time, unable to put it down, :lol.

And then afterwards, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

It's a book that sneaks up on you, I think.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited. I'll be getting it on Kindle and then probably again once it's released in paperback form.

I'm currently working through The Heroes, and it's great. Now if only Martin could finish with A Dance with Dragons this year.

Happy to have my pre-order already down, although I might Kindle it if I get too impatient on the day.

Adam Blade said:
Hello, Erroneous Friend Tim.

Hello, Paper-Thin Justifier Of Supposedly (And Absurdly) Inherently Factual Opinions On Genre Fiction. Or whatever the name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom