• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathsmiles |OT| 360 Cave STG

dR8va.png

Developer: Cave
Publisher: Aksys Games (North America) | Rising Star Games (Europe)
Platform Xbox 360
Genre: 2D Shooting
ERSB: T for Mild Language, Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, Partial Nudity
Release Date: June 29, 2010 (North America) | February 25, 2011 (Europe)

Features:
• Online co-op
• Online leaderboards
• 5 playable characters
• Replay save/playback
• Japanese version Mega Black Label DLC included free of charge on disc

Limited Edition [North America]

All first-run printings of the game include the following limited edition goodies:
• Deathsmiles Xbox 360 Faceplate - Not compatible with new 360 design lulz
• Deathsmiles Premium Arrange Album - includes 15 tracks selected by Manabu Namiki

Screenshots:

Videos:
Aksys Debut Trailer
Gameplay 1|2|3|4|5

Reviews:

OXM: 8/10
"You'll need dozens of playthroughs to get a handle on everything that's going on, and Deathsmiles is addictive enough to keep you replaying." [Aug 2010, p.79]​

EDGE UK: 8/10
"Scrolling shooters deserve a Street Fighter IV, a game that reminds casual or drifted gamers what it was that made its genre so entertaining in the first place. It would be fitting if Deathsmiles, with its range of difficulties, high def visual remake, online modes, DLC and freeform mechanics, could be that game."​

IGN: 7.5/10
"The $50 price tag is also hard to swallow for a game that would make more sense on Xbox Live Arcade."​

GAMEPRO: 4/5
To me, this game is well worth the dough -- Cave's superior development quality is more apparent to those who play these games a lot. If you have any interest in these games, it's well worth a shot.​

more as they come.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll have to pick this up eventually. Just don't have enough time to actually devote to it with Xenoblade sitting in my Wii.

matmanx1

Excited for this one. The faceplate will be going on my 360 as soon as I get it home and my HRAP Pro SE will be coming out to play! Definitely the highlight of this month's releases for me.

genjiZERO

I'm on the fence about getting it. I've got a $50 gift card from best buy. Should I get this, RotAW, or save it for guitar stuff. I guess I'm concerned that the level is ridiculously high and I'll get bored and never play it...

Dai101

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Region free and xbox games don't even belong in the same sentence. :(

To be fair most of those locked games are from JP, most US releases are region free.

Also HELL YEAH!!!!! I can fainally play this game without having to buy a 360JP.

Babalu.

never played any shooters like that except maybe a few times at the arcades back in the day.

Preordered this as soon as it was announced since I felt like I needed to try one out and get some more use out of my stick instead of just street fighter and the graphics looked good.

just saw the gameplay videos and feel like canceling my preorder now. Is it really a fucking 4:3 screen with bars on each side? wtf is that about. when was this game made? I thought it was new....

like seriously that shit bugs me and I might have to cancel it now and wait for a true next gen shooter.

I dont watch anime or loli shit so that crap is not a + in my book either.

Babalu. said:
Is it really a fucking 4:3 screen with bars on each side?
Yes.

Babalu. said:
wtf is that about.
it's an arcade port

Babalu. said:
when was this game made?

Babalu. said:
I thought it was new...
like seriously that shit bugs me and I might have to cancel it now and wait for a true next gen shooter.
Well if you care more about widescreen than playing a good game you could get Soldner X2 instead.

Babalu. said:
never played any shooters like that except maybe a few times at the arcades back in the day.

Preordered this as soon as it was announced since I felt like I needed to try one out and get some more use out of my stick instead of just street fighter and the graphics looked good.

just saw the gameplay videos and feel like canceling my preorder now. Is it really a fucking 4:3 screen with bars on each side? wtf is that about. when was this game made? I thought it was new....

I dont watch anime or loli shit so that crap is not a + in my book either.

I have played a bunch a Japanese 360 Shmups lately, so I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can make it fill the screen in the options. I also hate black bars on my games.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
mannerbot said:
wait wtf is with this 2d and 3 button gameplay I thought it was 2010

I'm going to stick with cod5 ok thx

:lol

Nice thread btw. I hope to be able to one day play this myself but I opted for a JPS2 over a J360. :(

Llyranor

I should probably get this, but I need to play the crap out of Espgaluda II first, which I've been thoroughly neglecting the past few months.

Daigoro

i have it paid off in full too.

dont think ive ever done that for any game before. in fact im sure i havent. huh.

iconoclast said:
I'm just poking fun at Aksys' localization. :D

we know. :p

bistromathics said:
i'm not proud of my anticipation for this release, but it's pretty high

Regardless of lolis or not, it's a classic Cave shoot em up with great design. Too bad I can't say the same for Deathsmiles 2.

Pein said:
is this game going to be stupid hard? If it isn't to insane I'll buy it

There are multiple difficulty levels, and a novice mode as well. It caters to just about any skill level, so don't be afraid to pick it up.

Dai101

Banned
iconoclast said:
Dai! Like, keep your cool, all right? Don't freak out on me.

I'm just poking fun at Aksys' localization. :D

I keed, i keed ..... ;)

Pein said:

Not Mushihimesama Futari hard but still a bit hard.

mannerbot

Pein said:

nah it's painfully easy, the game gives you infinite continues without a code or anything

Over/under on professional reviews that actually say this? :lol

Pein

Banned
mjemirzian said:
There are multiple difficulty levels, and a novice mode as well. It caters to just about any skill level, so don't be afraid to pick it up.
sweet, will buy

mannerbot said:
nah it's painfully easy, the game gives you infinite continues without a code or anything

This game is so easy cause I can just keep hitting start and win! By the way what is that number thing scrolling up in the corner and why does it keep resetting to 0? This game is so confusing!

cress2000

*sigh* I wish I could afford that Hori EX-SE stick. August is the earliest it'll fit into my budget.

Pre-ordered this even though arcade shooters historically haven't been my thing, but I'd like to give it a fair chance.

mannerbot said:

IGN prediction:

- I beat this in 40 minutes, and they expect us to pay $50 for this?!
- Should have been on XBLA
- Ugly retro graphics. They should be ashamed to release this after Uncharted 2.
- Made for pedophiles
- Oscar-worthy story

6/10

Bebpo

Banned
My favorite shmup in the last 5 years. Are they dubbing or subbing the story scenes?

Babalu. said:
just saw the gameplay videos and feel like canceling my preorder now. Is it really a fucking 4:3 screen with bars on each side?

No. X360 mode is the same game in full 16:9 with cleaned up visuals. No reason to ever play the arcade mode. It's just in there as a novelty for collectors.

Pein said:

It's one of the easier Cave shmups. 1CC is still ridiculously hard. But you can get very far on 1CC even if you aren't some shmup expert.

Top Bottom