• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geohot, tired of pretending to hack the PS3, pretends to hack the iPhone again

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/07/12/false-alarm-geohot-doesnt-have-an-iphone-4-jailbreak/

A few days ago we talked about GeoHot and the amazing fact that he seemed to have a jailbreak for iPhone 4. It turns out the picture he gave us was actually a fake. Bummer!

In an update to his last blog post, the wonder kid destroyed the few credibility he had left. He says:

Sorry, this post was probably a bad idea. Next time I won’t say anything. I miss when this blog was actually about technical things(I’ve been reacting too much to the feedback, which led it to the place it’s in now). I didn’t fully realize most of the current scene don’t care unless they are getting something. Now I do. It’s late tonight, I’ll think about what to do about this in the morning.

The real reason behind no release isn’t technical. It’s just that it will never stop, after blackra1n, people demand unlock, after blacksn0w, people demand untethered. I miss the days when jailbreaking and unlocking were difficult, it attracted a much higher caliber crowd.

Also, to the haters, the picture is quite obviously fake :D

I have a lot of respect for GeoHot’s work. The guy is clearly a genius (let me remind you he was the first to unlock the first iPhone back in 2007), but like everyone notices, he’s just too cocky and egocentric, which is probably why some call him EgoHot.

So what now for jailbreakers and unlockers? The good news is that the Spirit jailbreak for iPhone 4 will be released soon. In the meantime, the Dev Team is working on an unlock as well.

The world is not going to stop but it’s just too bad GeoHot won’t invest himself in what he’s obviously good at. Oh well, after all he’s free to do whatever he wants.

And following that, it looks like he's abandoning hacking altogether:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/07/13/geohot-says-goodbye-to-the-jailbreak-community/

It seems GeoHot is done with the iPhone jailbreak community. After teasing us with what ended up being a fake iPhone 4 jailbreak, GeoHot put an end to it all by completely shutting down his Twitter account. Additionally, he made his blog an invite-only place.

GeoHot has been complaining for a while about people harassing him about jailbreaks and release dates, which is probably what motivated his decision. While he didn’t clearly say goodbye to the jailbreak community, GeoHot seems to be retiring from the scene, at least for now.

I was able to read GeoHot’s last tweets last night but unfortunately I didn’t take screenshots of them but my Twitter buddy Farouk Zouari did. Basically GeoHot was saying that he was tired of hearing the same questions all the time. He also mentioned that some of us care way too much about the iPhone, which in the end is “just a phone”.

GeoHot had been flamed for a while by many who see in him as an egocentric kid. While you can’t argue the kid has a very strong ego, he still has the freedom to do whatever he wants and we should all respect that.

Something tells me we will see GeoHot again. Until then, let’s wish him good luck.

Looks like this kid's kinda flamed out. I don't know what this means for the iPhone, and it's surprising to see him abandon the device that originally led him to fame, but it looks like the idea of some kind of PS3 CFW is dead in the water [which is why I posted this on gaming-side] if it wasn't already (since I'm pretty sure he never ran GameOS code).

badcrumble said:
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/07/12/false-alarm-geohot-doesnt-have-an-iphone-4-jailbreak/

And following that, it looks like he's abandoning hacking altogether:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/07/13/geohot-says-goodbye-to-the-jailbreak-community/

Looks like this kid's kinda flamed out. I don't know what this means for the iPhone, and it's surprising to see him abandon the device that originally led him to fame, but it looks like the idea of some kind of PS3 CFW is dead in the water [which is why I posted this on gaming-side] if it wasn't already (since I'm pretty sure he never ran GameOS code).

Sad to see him leave the iPhone scene but it's been coming for a while. Probably won't affect anything either. The iPhone4 already has a Jailbreak and Unlock being done by other people.

The PS3 Scene is apparently still moving along with the work Geohot started but they've said it'll take time.

Geohot really got a lot of flack over the last few months so it's not a surprise to see him stop. Bit like Dark_Alex in the PSP Scene. Someone always takes their place.

Moundir&Tony>you said:
Does that mean I shouldn't keep my 3.15 firmware anymore ? Is all hope for a custom firmware lost ?

Geohot just started it. Others like Mathieulh are still working on it. He has said it'll be months before anything is released though.

Moundir&Tony>you said:
Does that mean I shouldn't keep my 3.15 firmware anymore ? Is all hope for a custom firmware lost ?
You can still use PS3 Linux and would still lose that by upgrading, so it depends on how much that matters to you. CFW may or may not happen, it's not ruled out but IIRC GameOS code hasn't been run yet which means it's either a long way off or not yet possible.

SpecX

I got tired of waiting and updated my PS3. If anything amazing comes, then I'll hate myself for doing this, but I'm happy being able to play online again.

badcrumble said:
You can still use PS3 Linux and would still lose that by upgrading, so it depends on how much that matters to you. CFW may or may not happen, it's not ruled out but IIRC GameOS code hasn't been run yet which means it's either a long way off or not yet possible.
Well I'm not in a hurry , I don't play that much anymore , and the only game I play online these days is team fortress 2 on the pc .

Guess I'll wait until the gf gets Little Big Planet 2 at the end of the year , if she wants to play it online , guess I'll have to update then .

MiloFoxburr said:
Geohot just started it. Others like Mathieulh are still working on it. He has said it'll be months before anything is released though.

It's my understanding he didn't start shit. Others had done before what he had done.

I have to say i am stunned how the PS3 has stood alone against all piracy attempts, and is still victorious! Atleast until the hyped 3DS anti-hack systems come around to share the cake! :D

Kittonwy

Banned
PS3 : 1
Geonotsohot : big fat 0

Indifferent2.gif

RavenFox

Banned
lol at folks not upgrading their PS3 [Why did you buy it?] The machine is just a beast against piracy. There are to many variables involved.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, I am honestly surprised the PS3 has lasted this long against hackers.

What is it about the PS3 that the hackers cant break through? Not enough of them working on it (360 probably being more popular), or is the PS3 architecture that secure?

railGUN

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

What is it about the PS3 that the hackers cant break through? Not enough of them working on it (360 probably being more popular), or is the PS3 architecture that secure?

Linux is the way in, clearly...

Mikey Jr. said:

they only hack systems if it's really popular.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And what did I say? Smoke and Mirrors (however, the PS3 crack turned true?). And that the CFW of the PS3 wouldn't happen.

*colbert"icalledit".gif*

Maybe next time someone will provide information instead of "OH I CRACKED (THING) BUT I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW YET LOLZ"

Unfortunately the users got a big fat zero as well.

Indeed. Losing Linux because of this dude. BRAVO, you loser. *applauds*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheSeks said:
And what did I say? Smoke and Mirrors (however, the PS3 crack turned true?). And that the CFW of the PS3 wouldn't happen.

*colbert"icalledit".gif*

It's a bit early to say that...others are continuing, apparently.

2San

greatestjediever said:
Dr. Kanna Shimizu, Security Architect at IBM.

Kid never had a chance.
Have to admit at first I though it was because of the Blu-ray and not popular enough, etc. I'm impressed so what's the chances she'll share the wealth with MS's next gen console?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DMPrince said:
they only hack systems if it's really popular.

360 sold 41 million units to date and it was hacked 5 years ago
PS3 sold 35 million units to date and they started a year later.

So they're both equal in their popularity. And you're trolling.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gofreak said:
It's a bit early to say that...others are continuing, apparently.

I give it a year or two max before they give up.

If it happens, I'll dance a merry jig (and then stop updating my Peter Parker and wait for them to crack the latest firmware or not and mourn), but as it is: I don't expect it to ever happen and anyone that is waiting this long (and only owns a PS3) is a fool.

Keeping the PS3 unupdated for Linux support is admirable but at this point of the game nothing is panning out. Unless you use the PS3 specifically for Linux, it's moot to keep it unupdated now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I didn't followed geohot/PS3 story well , but someone correct me if I am wrong , didn't Sony removed the otherOS because Geohot said he hacked the hypervisor using Linux as backdoor or something?

epmode

subversus said:
360 sold 41 million units to date and it was hacked 5 years ago
PS3 sold 35 million units to date and they started a year later.

So they're both equal in their popularity. And you're trolling.
Does it bother you to see someone write that the PS3 isn't as popular as the 360? Because it looks like it does.
H_Prestige said:
Sucks that there won't be CFW for the ps3 like their is for psp. All I want to do is bypass the stupid region locks.
How many PS3 games are locked, anyway? Every game I was interested in is already region free. I'd *much* rather have a region unlock for 360. One that doesn't invalidate your Live account, i mean.

railGUN said:
If the PS3 is hacker proof, why did they remove Linux? Just to be dicks?
Sony must have felt something to move it, either they realised he was getting somewhere or they just did it to be 100% secure, we will never know the truth.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
epmode said:
Does it bother you to see someone write that the PS3 isn't as popular as the 360? Because it looks like it does.How many PS3 games are locked, anyway? Every game I was interested in is already region free. I'd *much* rather have a region unlock for 360. One that doesn't invalidate your Live account, i mean.
None. He's probably talking about the PS1/PS2/DVD/BDMV region locks.

H_Prestige said:
Sucks that there won't be CFW for the ps3 like their is for psp. All I want to do is bypass the stupid region locks.

There isn't a single PS3 game that is region locked as far as I know. Unless you're talking about Blu-ray movies and PS1/2 games on disc.

A lot of BD movies are region-free as well.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It would have been better if this 'hacker' had actually hacked the PS3 before posting about what he'd done... at least the people who cared about OtherOS would still have it... all he's done is force the end of otherOS with no replacement on sight. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MiloFoxburr said:
Geohot really got a lot of flack over the last few months so it's not a surprise to see him stop. Bit like Dark_Alex in the PSP Scene. Someone always takes their place.
Didn't Dark_Alex take his own place and just started using a new pen name? I know some major PSP hacker did that.

Sony must have felt something to move it, either they realised he was getting somewhere or they just did it to be 100% secure, we will never know the truth.
Could it be they just didn't want to support it anymore? For all we know, they could of had Millions invested in supporting the service few really used. It could of even been something like causing problems with future firmware releases and having to jump though to many hoops to keep Linux from breaking.

Shred0r

Banned
i am not sure sure what drives this guy. Is it the fame he gets for jailbraking stuff, the confirmation of being able to break the security mechanics of a device, the self-affirmation to belong to the top group of hackers or just something to boost his ego?
Whatever, it could also be that he quit hacking the PS3 (or hasn't made updates on his hacking progression regarding the PS3) because he just noticed that he has gone too far with his hacking and the research on how the HyperVisor works and doesn't want his knowledge to be misused by people with clear intentions to open the PS3 for piracy. Maybe it's already too late and the scene is brewing an ISO loader for the PS3 that actually works, thanks to his previous contribution to the scene. You know, more often than not genius heads (scientists etc.) worked on their projects with a dedication that could be mistaken for sheer obsession that they just turned a blind eye to what consequences the result of their research might have due to being fully focused on their task, and reaching their goal is the only thing that matters for them atm. Most propably being the first one to achive a certain goal being their main motivaton. In the games piracy sector its quite similar. Groups are trying to be the first to release a game. Some others make their names by doing advanced ripping/compressing of games to make them lighter for download. Its quite a competitive environment.

So A) he realized that he would do harm to PS3/Sony with his research by helping out the scene to make it open for piracy. B) he just coudn't break the PS3 no matter what and decided to capitulate. C) he got an expensive looking letter from Apple's legal department with the kind request to please quit that shit ;)
D) A letter from Apple from the Human Ressources/hiring department with a lot zeros after the $ sign as incentive to sign the contract.

Whatever, by now he should be a well sought-after guy in the IT Security market (or NSA, CIA etc.), i guess. Mission accomplished. Time to move on by getting a well paid job.

BTW, has he ever clarified what real intentions he had by trying to open the PS3?
What motivated him in the first place? I do not buy that he just did all this stuff out of boredom...

IonicSnake said:
There isn't a single PS3 game that is region locked as far as I know. Unless you're talking about Blu-ray movies and PS1/2 games on disc.

A lot of BD movies are region-free as well.

PS1/2 games' region codes are still enforced. It's such a silly thing.

Jigsaw

Banned
H_Prestige said:
PS1/2 games' region codes are still enforced. It's such a silly thing.

yeah,especially because the ps1 iso dumps on psn are region free :\

i want to play chrono cross or parasite eve on my pal ps3 : (

Top Bottom