• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarsier Studios become first-party SCE developer

darkwing

http://www.tarsier.se/index2.php?pageid=105

“Tarsier Studios has signed an exclusive first party deal with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Together with SCEE, Tarsier Studios will bring their high quality visuals and entertainment talent to the ever growing SCEE game portfolio in the form of a yet to be announced project.”

The studio also announced it’s currently working on DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2.

woah! DLC for LBP2 this early, makes up for that long DLC level intervals for LBP1

wonder what project that is

Blablurn

darkwing said:
http://www.tarsier.se/index2.php?pageid=105

woah! DLC for LBP2 this early, makes up for that long DLC level intervals for LBP1

wonder what project that is

littlebigplanet-20081009055611644-000.jpg

BERIEVE.

darkwing

Since the unveiling of 'The City of Metronome' at E3 2005, Tarsier Studios has gone on to work on projects with several leading studios and publishers in the gaming industry, quickly becoming an established and well respected developer and provider of high quality products and services. With the release of 'Rag Doll Kung Fu™ : Fists of Plastic', Tarsier showed its talent for creating highly entertaining and visually stunning games. Since then Tarsier has continued their relationship with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe by helping out with the famed LittleBigPlanet™ franchise and other projects, indicating an exciting future for the Swedish game developer.

what is this City of Metronome?

darkwing

wow Metronome sounds awesome!

TheCityOfMetronome.jpg

The City of Metronome is a unique third person adventure game where sound is your weapon.
The game is still in development and in need of a publisher, however, following the unveiling of this game at E3 2005, Metronome quickly became one of the most anticipated titles amongst next generation games. The distinguished look of the game as well as the innovative gameplay attracted critics and gamers and made them want to see more of this unusual gaming experience.

In the game, you take on the role of a young train conductor. You get to venture into the city of Metronome, a sprawling mass of haphazardly built houses and huge steam engines where the outlandish inhabitants are carrying out their chores day and night. A city where the life of every citizen is dictated by the Corporation, a single bureaucratic entity that owns all the land, the entire infrastructure and all the industries.

Explore winding alleys, skewed rooftops and crowded apartment buildings as you search for proof of the Corporations secret agenda, all while listening for sounds to record. Sounds that can be used for a variety of tasks: fight enemies with loud and destructive sounds, solve problems and confuse citizens by clever usage of the right sound at the right moment, use seductive and melodious sounds to change the mood and behaviour of listeners.

Can't find the specific sound you need? Create it yourself! Shove a bookcase down some stairs, throw a rock through a window or simply annoy someone enough to make them shout at you and then record the result.

Afrikan

Rag Doll Kung Fu is a pretty good looking game....I'm a graphics whore and it looks very nice to me..... my little cousins were playing it yesterday....when ever they come and visit that game is their Super Smash Brothers away from home.....

*chased out of thread by Nintendo Fanboys*

Busty

Banned
Kudos to this small European developer for 'climbing the ladder' and kudos to Sony for investing in smaller studios when others seem to be doing the opposite.

Hopefully this new project of theirs is an original IP rather than just an 'out of house' sequel for some other Sony studio.

But at this point, I'm sure they'll be happy either way.

darkwing said:
wait, so since they are a first party developer now, that means Metronome is going to be published soon??

Not necessarily. Just because they're first party now doesn't mean that Sony will want Metronome. Although I hope they do let Tarsier continue to develop it since it looked amazing.

Afrikan

Galvanise_ said:
Sony own them 100% and therefore the IP's for City of Metronome etc.

yeah, I understand why he thinks that.....it is kind of worded like that..

"Tarsier Studios has signed an exclusive first party deal with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe."

it sounds like it is a deal and they are not bought out....

but then this part...
"By joining the SCEE family of first party exclusive developers,"

makes it seem like they are first party now.....

I don't know...

Afrikan said:
yeah, I understand why he thinks that.....it is kind of worded like that..

it sounds like it is a deal and they are not bought out....

but then this part...

makes it seem like they are first party now.....

I don't know...

First party means that they are owned by Sony. Simply an agreement between SCEE and them would make them 2nd party.

Galvanise_ said:
First party means that they are owned by Sony. Simply an agreement between SCEE and them would make them 2nd party.
We know that. That's why I asked the question in the first place. The agreement sounds more like they're second party.

Hence: "Wouldn't this make them second party?"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I doubt Metronome is on the cards. It sounds like as a studio they play supporting roles to other devs (chiefly MM), somewhat similar to Cambridge, or how Cambridge was up til recently anyway.

And I agree that the precise details of the deal are kind of ambiguous in that statement.

Suzzopher

spats said:
I'd never even heard of it before but it actually looks pretty interesting.

One of my most wanted games since 2005/6 can't remember when I first saw it, but it looked like no other game at announced at the time. If Sony don't take the Metronome IP and finish the game then they are fools.

SCEE is a pretty damn impressive selection of studios.

Ignis Fatuus said:
We know that. That's why I asked the question in the first place. The agreement sounds more like they're second party.

But they've stated they have signed a first party agreement and have joined SCE family of first party developers. Thats first party to me.

Withnail

Quite surprising. Pretty crazy how SCE are still growing their roster, even in this financial climate. Also it's interesting how all their recent deals have been in Europe (Evolution, Big Big, Mm, now Tarsier). Wonder if there's a reason for that.

By the way, I think within the industry "first party" is often used to describe studios that are funded by the platform holder without actually being owned by them. Some people call this second party though that isn't really a recognised term. For instance I'm pretty sure Sony would say Resistance was a first party game.

Galvanise_ said:
But they've stated they have signed a first party agreement and have joined SCE family of first party developers. Thats first party to me.
Nothing in the press release or on their corporate page indicates that Sony has bought a controlling interest in the company. That's the essence of what being first party is. They only say they've signed an exclusive deal which is an odd word choice if they've just been bought whole.

Suzzopher

Ignis Fatuus said:

Sounds like they signed a contract with Sony to become a Sony studio. I don't see how it reads any other way:lol

Don

These are the Metronome guys?

I remember that being one of the first games for this generation of consoles that really interested me.

Sucks that they are working on DLC for LBP instead of getting Metronome released. It would be great if Sony would publish that game.

TheFury

Never heard of them before, but that Metronome game looks pretty sweet. Definitely interested if they bring that game back from the dead.

Suzzopher said:
Sounds like they signed a contract with Sony to become a Sony studio. I don't see how it reads any other way:lol
Whether that contract includes a buyout is kind of a key detail that marks the difference between first and second party.

The wording is the same as when Guerilla Games joined Sony, I believe. It rings a bell.

Either way, they are working exclusively for Sony.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Metronome was one of those wonderful looking games that didn't fit with the vibe that 'next-gen' was to be about, and therefore didn't get a publisher.
I was excited about it back in 2005. It's a real shame that they're making DLC instead. This generation could really use some more adventure games.

KingDizzi

Banned
Withnail said:
Quite surprising. Pretty crazy how SCE are still growing their roster, even in this financial climate. Also it's interesting how all their recent deals have been in Europe (Evolution, Big Big, Mm, now Tarsier). Wonder if there's a reason for that.

By the way, I think within the industry "first party" is often used to describe studios that are funded by the platform holder without actually being owned by them. Some people call this second party though that isn't really a recognised term. For instance I'm pretty sure Sony would say Resistance was a first party game.

Yeah I love how Sony continue to grow their first party, they have an insane number of first party studios now. It makes a whole lot of sense to have a strong first party considering big 3rd party exclusives is something which is really hard to come by.

That said the King Fu game they made was shit, if it cost me anything I would never have got it (got it free a year ago). Sony seem to have a few small studios which just support the bigger studios such as Sony Cambridge with the 'supercoders'.

Marvelous news for PSN and Metronome. Would've preferred they stay indie but Sony's probably the next best.

edit. Oh they used first party in a weird way.

thuway

KingDizzi said:
Yeah I love how Sony continue to grow their first party, they have an insane number of first party studios now. It makes a whole lot of sense to have a strong first party considering big 3rd party exclusives is something which is really hard to come by.

That said the King Fu game they made was shit, if it cost me anything I would never have got it (got it free a year ago). Sony seem to have a few small studios which just support the bigger studios such as Sony Cambridge with the 'supercoders'.

Time out,

Rag Doll Kung Fu was made by Media Molecule employees Alex Evans and Mark Healey while they were working at Lionhead. It was only ported to the PS3 by Tarsier studios. So far I don't know of one game they've made, but we'll see in due time I suppose.

KingDizzi

Banned
thuway said:
Time out,

Rag Doll Kung Fu was made by former Media Molecule employees Alex Evans and Mark Healey while they were working at Lionhead. It was only ported to the PS3 by Tarsier studios. So far I don't know of one game they've made, but we'll see in due time I suppose.

Thought it had to be something like that because Sony only ever purchase a studio once they have made a great game or have a lot of promise ala MM with Littlebigplanet. Metronome looks really good however looking at the time it's been since it was announced I seriously doubt Sony will pick it up. Lastly amazing how Evans and Healey went from Rag Doll to LBP.

Edit - So it's just a single project so Gamescom is my guess.

Hey their producer just responded to me.

2z9b68h.png

This makes it sound like they might just be talking about one project. They might not even be second party. :lol

Should I pester him for details on that too?

Suzzopher

This sounds nothing like what he says in the email:
By joining the SCEE family of first party exclusive developers, Tarsier Studios takes the next, natural step towards becoming one of Scandinavia's top developers. A new office will be established in Malmö this fall, and the company is expected to grow to around 40 people within a year.
:lol

My wife is very much the same, makes things sound worse than they really are. Swedes hey:lol

Top Bottom