• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro books from Pix'n Love (Now in English!)

Kid Marin

Pix'n Love Publishing was founded in 2007 by three young Frenchmen, each very passionate about the history of video games. Their goal is to offer gamers, as well as anybody curious about the subject, a selection of reliable books about their passion: video gaming and its history. During their three years on the market, they've published, re-released, translated and written over 25 books in French. Some even became real best sellers in France and French speaking territories. Today, Pix'n Love Publishing goes international and is proud to bring you some of their most successful releases, fully translated into English. Secured, safe and trustworthy, this website, via Paypal, will allow you to get a hold of books recognized as the ultimate resources on the subject. Every item will be shipped within 48 hours following the order and delivered in less than a week (average international shipping). Three books are already planned to be released. The first one, the History of Nintendo (1889-1980) will be available around the end of August. We recommend you pre-order it though, as this will be a very limited edition!
bv000001.jpg
bv000003.jpg
bv000006.jpg

http://pixnlovepublishing.com/topic/index.html

I read The History of Nintendo Vol.2 (G&W) and The Autobiography of Takahashi Meijin (french version). Both are pretty good.

Oh, fuck yes. I nearly went and ordered the French edition of the first "History of Nintendo" book a few months back - so glad I waited, as my English is far better than my awful, awful French :)

EDIT:

Just $29? Even better :D

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I cannot recommend The History of Nintendo Vol. 1 enough. It's a bit more on the passionate side (as opposed to the business side) than David Sheff's Game Over, but it's chock full of pictures of lesser known products, quotes from Yamauchi and never-heard-of anecdotes. Nintendo pre-video games is (was) not well known after all. You really get a sense that Yamauchi is a very special man.

I have yet to buy Vol. 2, but I don't know if it'll be as interesting. The volumes I'm waiting for are NES/GB and DS/Wii (assuming Gorges is still in business by then, which I hope).

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Yesss, I was looking at the French editions of these the other day actually, but my complete ignorance of French obviously held me back.

Kilrogg said:
The volumes I'm waiting for are NES/GB and DS/Wii (assuming Gorges is still in business by then, which I hope).

Have you read Nintendo Magic? It's a new book focused on the Wii and DS years, as well as how Iwata became CEO and some earlier history stuff, written by a Nikkei business journalist. I haven't read either the pix'n love books or Game Over, but my impression of either is that Nintendo Magic is closer to Game Over in style.

The timeline for the book ends sometime in early 2010 thanks to a new afterword for the English translation, and it makes a few predictions that are a little funny now that we know Nintendo's next step, but it's well worth a read if only for the Iwata and Yamauchi interviews.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
JohnnyPanda said:
Have you read Nintendo Magic? It's a new book focused on the Wii and DS years, as well as how Iwata became CEO and some earlier history stuff, written by a Nikkei business journalist. I haven't read either the pix'n love books or Game Over, but my impression of either is that Nintendo Magic is closer to Game Over in style.

The timeline for the book ends sometime in early 2010 thanks to a new afterword for the English translation, and it makes a few predictions that are a little funny now that we know Nintendo's next step, but it's well worth a read if only for the Iwata and Yamauchi interviews.

Thanks for the heads up. I must admit I'm a bit wary of this book. I love Nintendo and their business acumen, but I don't believe in business magic. I know, I know, it's just a title, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a direct link between the title and contents of the book. Anyway, I'll stop right here. I'll look into it some time.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Kilrogg said:
Thanks for the heads up. I must admit I'm a bit wary of this book. I love Nintendo and their business acumen, but I don't believe in business magic. I know, I know, it's just a title, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a direct link between the title and contents of the book. Anyway, I'll stop right here. I'll look into it some time.

The "magic" part is mostly referring to overall Nintendo-ness (which I think is how he actually refers to it in the book :lol ) and the role it played in creating the two pieces of hardware. The author tries to explain it some by drawing on their overall business history (all the way back to hanafuda), and it's has reasonably satisfying insight that isn't just "OMG iwata elves."

Lots of business-y numbers and statistics, too, so it's not just how neat-o it is to have two screens. Anyway, I'll stop ruining the book (
Nintendo sells a lot of stuff!
) and just give it a thumbs-up recommendation.

kazuo

Thanks for this! Pre-ordering.

I love reading books like these. Been thinking about writing a few myself... :lol

FnordChan

Thanks for the heads up! I pre-ordered the first Nintendo volume and hope they're able to make more of their library available in English. I'd love to be able to read their PC Engine Bible.

FnordChan

Well, according to the website the first Nintendo book should've been released yesterday, but it's still on pre-order status.

I want to know when mine will be shipped :D

nny

I have the first book pre-ordered for some time, hope there aren't any big delays, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Notorious_Roy said:
Well, according to the website the first Nintendo book should've been released yesterday, but it's still on pre-order status.

I want to know when mine will be shipped :D

From previous experience with smaller publishers, especially when they're launching a new line, the release dates can be a little wobbly. Their Twitter page has a pair of posts from this month - August 9th and August 17th - noting that printing has started on the book, and that it is progressing well so it's likely just a case now of waiting for them to start receiving finished books from their printers and for them to start shipping.

I'd guess pre-orders will start shipping out in the next week or two if all is going well.

EDIT:

...and the news ticker on their website has an entry for yesterday noting that pre-orders should start shipping next week :)

They replied to my email:

Hi Roy!

Thank you very much for pre-ordering the first Issue of
the Nintendo History.
The printing company is a little bit late and the told us
we would be delivered at the very beginning of September.

We are sorry for that but be sure your book will be send
as soon as we receive it from the printer.

See you soon!
Florent G

meppi

Bought a couple of books from them in the past even though my French isn't that good.

Especially love the PC-Engine one, so much content about lots of games I didn't even knew existed!

The only thing that held me back from buying more is that they were in French.

Already pre-ordered the first English Nintendo book the minute I read the news and will buy just about all the upcoming English releases. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh man...these look awesome.

Do they have a books, French or English, that compare to the Fami-Complete guide that's basically impossible to find?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I went obsessively through all the books they had, I guess there isn't a NES catalog, just a PC engine one? Anyway, I would hope they translate the PC Engine one sometime.

The Game & Watch digest is incredible looking....but I don't care at all about G&W's. And the other English digest is full of curiosities and gadgets that have nothing to do with Nintendo game systems...it's an incredible collection of them, but I wish it was full of things I actually cared about :lol Still, these guides are wonderful and I hope they fill my Fami-Complete desire with a future guide or something.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ordered the first English book even though I am poor right now and it is kind of pricy. It better be good, GAF!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kid Marin said:
The History of Nintendo Vol.3 (tba) is all about NES/Famicom.
When it comes to NES... do they tackle NES in the western world in general? Or is it mostly focused on "PAL NES"?

Kid Marin

BocoDragon said:
When it comes to NES... do they tackle NES in the western world in general? Or is it mostly focused on "PAL NES"?
The book'll probably be exhaustive like the PC Engine bible.

BocoDragon

Kid Marin said:
The book'll probably be exhaustive like the PC Engine bible.
So basically all international releases: Japan, US, PAL?

Kid Marin

I thinks so, i mean the theme is NES/Famicom.
For example, the PC Engine bible Vol.1 presents all the HuCARDs (2 chapters: PC Engine section & TurboGrafx-16)

BocoDragon

Kid Marin said:
I thinks so, i mean the theme is NES/Famicom.

For exemple, the PC Engine bible Vol.1 list all the HuCARDs (2 chapters: PC Engine section & TurboGrafx-16)
I'm not surprised they list Japanese stuff... it's the motherland. I am interested if they list USA stuff since they are located in France.

For example: Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics 2 - Not on Famicom or PAL NES.

And will they mention River City Ransom even though it was Street Gangs in PAL land, and Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari as a Kunio-kun game in Japan.

things like that...

BocoDragon

Kid Marin said:
I'm pretty sure they'll present the NTSC-U/C versions too, especially for games like StarTropics 2.
Thanks. Sorry for bein picky about the questions.. :lol I just want to like these books and I hope they really are complete.

I think it's a bummer when Retro Gamer, from the UK, has guides to videogame consoles and they give a history like the US SNES or Genesis, etc. never existed. I would prefer a worldwide perspective :)

Baha

What other volumes have Pix`n Love done for video game consoles? Their french website didn't have a search bar from the looks of it.

meppi

BocoDragon said:
Thanks. Sorry for bein picky about the questions.. :lol I just want to like these books and I hope they really are complete.

If the PC-Engine book is anything to go by, you really don't have to worry too much as it's extremely in-depth.
It even covers unreleased games as well as glances over pirate games and rarities like the Caravan games that never had a retail copy.
On top of that the PC-Engine book has a "games exclusive to the USA" section.

Oh and yes, these guys definitely are awesome. :)

mattiewheels

It would be so cool if all their future digests were made in French and English at the same time, like this Famicom volume coming up. Either way, knowing that a Famicom catalog might be coming in English is amazing.

Well, I figured I wasn't interested in Game & Watch but the book is just so incredible looking that I feel like I need it now :lol

Just had an email from the chaps at Pix'n Love:

Dear Readers,
Dear Friends !

We would like to thank you very much for your trust in our first publication in English. It is really extraordinary to see that you have placed orders from all over the World!

Our printer has just called us one hour ago and informed us that we will receive the History Of Nintendo (Volume 1) in the beginning of next week. We would like to present you our sincerest apologies for this delay! The print took a little bit more time than expected as the plastic cover was not easy to find... But it will be worth the additional waiting as our French readers would certainly confirm.

We will take pictures of the delivery, and you will be able to follow the event on our blog: http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/pixnlove/ ! Some of you might be surprised by the way we do our communication but this is who we are : easy passionate (French) guys.

We hope you will excuse our English in this e-mail. Don’t worry: our books are translated by professional translators! But for the usual communication, we have to write it ourselves. And it would be far easier in French, in Japanese or in German!
We wish you a wonderful weekend! See you in a few days!

The Pix'n Love team

Looking good for pre-orders arriving soon!

Top Bottom