• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catfish trailer - don't let anyone tell you what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

mello

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/catfish/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEAmTVyiDC8

A reality thriller that's a shocking product of our times, Catfish is a riveting story of love, deception and grace within a labyrinth of online intrigue.

Wow. Didn't know about this until just now, and now I've never been more interested to find out how this ends.

Warning: If you have already seen this movie at Sundance, please refrain from spoilers in this thread. If you wish to talk about the ending, create a different thread.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wow. What the hell? Blair Witch Romance/Monster flick?

Holy crap, that looks good. If you're a marketer, bravo sir. You sold me.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
From what I understand, that trailer is extremely misleading. The movie isn't really much of a thriller at all.

mello

Spire said:
From what I understand, that trailer is extremely misleading. The movie isn't really much of a thriller at all.

Stop right there. DO NOT FUCKING SPOIL THIS MOVIE FOR US.

I understand that some people may have seen this at Sundance or something.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I won't spoil it but reading the article linked below (specifically the last paragraph on the first page) makes me hate this film and the people who made it (if it's true)

spoilers

mello

~Kinggi~ said:
So, is this real or is it like the Blair Witch and set up to be real?

That's the kind of detail I'd like to know after I've seen the film. But I get the feeling it probably isn't real and is just set up to be real. Like Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity etc. But that's provided it ends with something supernatural, and not just a crime.

cubanb said:
Time to google search for the spoilers because it doesn't look like a film I would want to sit through.

Well don't come back in here with the results from your research. ;)

mollipen

First 3/4ths of the trailer all I could think was "PLEEEEASE don't let this be a 'haha she's a tranny surprise' because I'm really afraid that's where they're going to take this", but thankfully that wasn't the case.

Now, unfortunately, I'm actually interested in seeing it, but it's going to end up being something completely stupid, I'm guessing. At least, from some of the comments already in this thread from people who seem to know a bit about it.

I'm a sucker for the "we're saying it's real but it isn't" stuff, so I'd really love to be wrong about my worries.

Teddman

My new rule is this: If the bulk of the movie doesn't look interesting, then I don't care if there's a twist. As it stands, I think I could watch the trailer and then take it from where the trailer leaves off and save myself an hour.

mello said:
Stop right there. DO NOT FUCKING SPOIL THIS MOVIE FOR US.

I understand that some people may have seen this at Sundance or something.

Either it's a thriller, or the advertising is going for a bait and switch. I don't think finding out the nature of the movie is all that spoilerific.

xbhaskarx

Teddman said:
My new rule is this: If the bulk of the movie doesn't look interesting, then I don't care if there's a twist. As it stands, I think I could watch the trailer and then take it from where the trailer leaves off and save myself an hour.

I agree completely.

mello

PrivateWHudson said:
Either it's a thriller, or the advertising is going for a bait and switch. I don't think finding out the nature of the movie is all that spoilerific.

I don't mind discussing the nature of the movie or the direction it could be heading in. Whether the trailer is misleading or not I really don't mind. So long as the story and ending isn't spoiled in this thread.

I'm really curious to see it end myself. :D

mello said:
I don't mind discussing the nature of the movie or the direction it could be heading in. Whether the trailer is misleading or not I really don't mind. So long as the story and ending isn't spoiled in this thread.

You can probably figure out what happens if you know whether or not the trailer is misleading.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
D4Danger said:
I won't spoil it but reading the article linked below (specifically the last paragraph on the first page) makes me hate this film and the people who made it (if it's true)

spoilers
Sounds like Gummo mixed with the stupid faux documentary gimmick, with unarguably real exploitation. And like all faux documentary movies, the stars are douchebags.
Disgusting and vile.

mello

SolidSnakex said:
You can probably figure out what happens if you know whether or not the trailer is misleading.

Not necessarily. The trailer indicates a few possible endings, if it is misleading, we still wouldn't be able to weigh our options any better... Well I can't at the moment.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I was expecting some sweet supernatural shit based on the trailer.
Looks pretty boring, tbh.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dan said:
Sounds like Gummo mixed with the stupid faux documentary gimmick, with unarguably real exploitation. And like all faux documentary movies, the stars are douchebags.
Disgusting and vile.

Yeah, the creators are sticking to their guns and claiming they didn't know, but I really don't buy that. The whole thing reeks of exploitation and if people are already upset about it now, I can only imagine how heated it's going to get when this thing comes out. Those guys better have covered their tracks, because if it gets out that they really did exploit this woman, they're going to be burned at the stake.

Alucrid

Banned
Messypandas said:
Trailers that sell the promise of a twist completely undermine the point of the twist.

I remember when I saw the trailer for Brothers. That would've been a holy fuck awesome movie if they didn't show the 'twist' in the fucking trailer.

kingkitty

Maybe you should spoiler tag your thoughts Brokenbox.

Although while the other posters do spoiler tag their feelings, it's mixed with the words "vile" and "disgusting", I can't help but think that this movie is going to make me angry one way or another. And that I have no choice but to lower my expectations . I rather would have discovered this on my own, but meh.

Has anybody who has seen it let us know what the twist is? I figured most of it out be googling it, but I'm curious and after reading the movieline article I'm a little hesitant to give them my money to see it.

Edit: Better yet if anyone has a link to the ending. I don't want people to accidentally read the spoiler tag.

canadian crowe said:
Has anybody who has seen it let us know what the twist is? I figured most of it out be googling it, but I'm curious and after reading the movieline article I'm a little hesitant to give them my money to see it.

Edit: Better yet if anyone has a link to the ending. I don't want people to accidentally read the spoiler tag.

Someone linked to the spoilers in the thread

cubanb

Banned
canadian crowe said:

Try this link. It has a better summary of the ending than the movieline article:

spoilers

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
29qfojo.jpg

WHAT DID YOU DO

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
D4Danger said:

spoilers

After reading that link...
I would like to kick the shit out of everyone who made this film. Seriously, sounds like they just took advantage of someone to make a film.

cubanb said:
Try this link. It has a better summary of the ending than the movieline article:

spoilers

Thanks!

Spoilers and thoughts for the ending:

The ending sounds kind of depressing. After having read the movieline article and reading the plot, the whole movie seems to be mean spirited. It wasn't healthy for this woman to be obsessed with him, but to make a movie out of it... Not a creative use of talent. Just opportunistic.

xbhaskarx

Messypandas said:
Trailers that sell the promise of a twist completely undermine the point of the twist.

Yeah, it worked fine in the old days, but two things have changed. First, movie trailers have become condensed movies that basically give away almost everything, old trailers had a lot more narration and revealed far less. Second and most importantly, the internet and having near-instant access to information.

xbhaskarx

Spoilered links:

The woman has five blogs...
Xher profile
Xher art
Xpersonal blog, this entry mentions her sanity meds, disabled stepsons, and her daughter Abigail

No indication regarding whether or not she knows a movie about her and her family is coming out...

Medalion

Banned
Gillian Jacobs posted a link to this trailer on her twitter, I watched it and it looks fascinating... I may check this out!

Slurmer

Banned
it's pretty entertaining, and the main guy is very endearing, but the consensus at the festival was that it was faked. My friend and I ran into the filmmakers a good number of times the week we were there, and they always looked kind of bothered--I think they got called out at a good number of their screenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom