• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the wake of Duke Nukem's resurrection, let's appreciate the FPS of yore

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One dozen weapons on your back! Badass MID muzak! Digitalized explosions! Ludicrous gibs! There was no time like the 90's for any serious FPS fan (let alone PC gamers), and in this thread we show our appreciation towards all kinds of first person games that fell behind the mighty power of Doom and Quake, but were fuckawesome nonetheless. I'm just going to post a few that hold special significance in my now near extinct gaming life (getting old is such a bitch, I'm sure other DN3D fans can relate), but feel free to post and discuss your own favourites.

Blood (1997)

Quite possibly my favourite FPS ever. The game began as a Duke Nukem 3D follow-up developed by 3D Realms, but it was later sold to Monolith after they realized they had no resources to finish all the games they had in development. I don't know what happened during that time, but the results were fucking spectacular. You get into the shoes of Caleb, some kind of undead cowboy and former minion of a Cthulonian deity in a dystopic 20's setting. The CD version came with some incredibly spooky Red Book Audio tracks, but in case you wanted to play without the disc, you could install it in your HDD with the (immensely gross) cutscenes and enjoy the also tremendous MIDI score instead. Can you imagine that nowadays?

The ambience was spectacular, mixing horror, black humour, and hundreds of geeky references. It was also the game that outgibbed Soldier of Fortune long before SOF was even an idea. Caleb could kill a cultist, blow it to pieces with dynamite and then jump on the remains (oh, the squishy sounds) until they disappeared in a pool of blood. Or rip some mime's head with your Tommy gun and then play soccer with it while humming Strangers in the Night. Did I mention that every weapon had secondary fire modes? And that most enemies could die in more than three ways? You could gun them down, set them alight, made them explode or even suck up their "vital energy" with the voodoo doll. You know, all that stuff that no developer would dare to implement these days. And the deathmatch mode was fucking brutal, with Jace Hall taunting through the speakers after every kill. Blood is easily the most impressive Build game ever made, and a goddamned classic that was followed by an unfortunate sequel about as enjoyable as a smegma popsicle.

sloth.jpg
blood_screen004.jpg
blood_790screen005.jpg
blood_790screen002.jpg
1069611014-00.jpg
1061195079-00.jpg
982396145-00.jpg
982394212-00.jpg
952357933-00.jpg

Videos:
First level
The Temple
The Haunting+Super Secret
Homages (there is a fuckton of them, believe me)
BONUS: Soundtrack!

Realms of the Haunting (1997)

Holy crap, man. That game. That fucking game. Although more of an action adventure than a straight up FPS, ROTH was so fucking impressive that deserves its own place here. Unlike other FMV-heavy "multimedia games" of the era, this unique multi-disc title developed by Gremlin was all about the gameplay, which was hard as fucking nails. Plot excerpt from Mobygames:

Realm's of the Haunting's plot starts out as a typical haunted house story but soon mutates into an end-of-the-world tale combining New Age pseudo-philosophy and biblical Revelations. You take the part of Adam Randall, a pastor's son who is sent to investigate a haunted mansion by a mysterious priest who claims it's linked to your father's death. Once you enter the mansion you soon learn that not only is it infested with demons and evil spirits, but that the mansion itself is built over an old Satanic temple and the priest who sent you there is in fact a five-hundred year old French sorceror trying to bring about the end of the world.

Unfortunately the system requirements were quite hefty and I could only enjoy it several years after its release, missing part of the shock that came from its no longer detailed pseudo-3D graphics. Still, a classic that begs rediscovering.

drealms-08.jpg
drealms-07.jpg
drealms-06.jpg

drealms-05.jpg
drealms-04.jpg
drealms-03.jpg

drealms-02.jpg
drealms-01.jpg
drealms-00.jpg

Videos:
Let's Play part 1
Let's Play part 2

Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995)

Fucking wow is all I could say after taking Kyle Katarn's blaster for the first time and dispatching a dozen of stormtroopers at my cousin's house. Dark Forces was LucasArt's first FPS game when the company still had a reputation of making classics as if they were sausages, and although shadowed by Doom, it damn well deserves its own place here. The John Williams-esque dynamic music was terrific, the atmospheric effects of the Jedi Engine were something to behold, a vast repertory of then still somewhat obscure SW weapons, highly creative levels and puzzles, and the fact that the game had frikkin' thermal detonators and even blaster-bouncing walls (which could create all sorts of mayhem) made Dark Forces a must have for any Star Wars nut. And I was a huge one back them. A true gem that it's still the pinnacle of the series IMHO.

darkforces09.gif
darkforces08.gif
1027541002-00.gif

darkforces02.gif
1027541101-00.gif
1027541150-00.gif

943975525-00.gif
943975296-00.gif
943975244-00.gif

Videos:
Demo
Some cutscene+gameplay

Rise of the Triad (1995)

A relatively simple game that had much more innovations than most people remember. You are part of a UN commanded crack team sent to a remote island to investigate the activity of a bizarre, evil cult formed by monks with a penchant to explode into tiny bits of flesh. Akimbo drunk rocket launchers have that effect. Besides the dual gun idea, ROTT also featured intricate maps, a random level generator, a dog mode (woof), drug abuse (gotta love those shrooms) and enemies that would feign their death only to shoot at you when you gave them your back. Nothing that couldn't be taken care of with some napalm, tho. Seeing their corpses turn into charred, brittle skeletons was almost as fun as the ludicrous gibs, that would spray your screen with blood, guts, flying middle fingers and eyeballs. Also, Tom Hall, the man, the myth, the legend, served to model El Oscuro and provided the voice for your enemies. I still use the main theme (and the Apogee intro) as a ringtone.

rott08.png
rott07.png
rott06.jpg

rott05.jpg
rott04.jpg
rott03.jpg

rott02.jpg
rott01.png
rott00.jpg

Videos:
E1A1-E1A2+Intro
Cheats

Name your favourites now!

Ceebs

I enjoyed Powerslave a good bit. Kinda surprised no modern FPS has tried the Egyptian themed angle lately.

801686-powerslave_boxfjk6r.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
yeah, Dark Forces was the big early FPS for me. I loved it back in the day, it felt like such an authentic Star Wars experience.

It kind of sucked in retrospect, but I played this a lot in co-op with a bro.
Armorines Project S.W.A.R.M.
rby4gl.png

epolrc.jpg

It would probably be a nightmare to play today, though.

Duke Nukem 3D and the Turok games were the pinnacle of N64 FPS (aside from the Rare shooters of course)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
God damn. I watched my brother play Blood and it gave me nightmares. Yeah... I was a pussy back then, but hey - I was like ten years old or something like that.

Dark Forces though... I fucking LOVED that game.

Ixzion

Great OP.

I played Rise of the Triad's demo well over 100 times. And the codes worked there, too!

FIREBOMB
BONES
SEEYA

Memories! :(

Phenomenal choices, op!

I just had the great honor of replaying Blood via GOG, and it's still freaking awesome. Amazing atmosphere, fast, solid gameplay, and a wicked sense of humor. Definitely one to not miss. Tragically, on the GOG release, I couldn't get the last expansion Cryptic Passage to work. That was a good one too.

Also, Realms of the Haunting is one that got way for me. Played the pc demo waaaaay back when, thought it was awesome, never could find a copy.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Blood is probably the best non competitive FPS ive played. (The Train was OH MAH GAWD!! worthy back then)
Blood 2 was a huge letdown to me.

alba

Little is the new Big
Heretic, Hexen, ROTT, Shadow Warrior... man the memories :D Build engine was so awesome! :p

Danneee

A lot of awesome games listed! Don't know why I never got around to play Realms of the haunting though...

Anyhow, Tekwar was kind of cool as it was kind of open worldish. I only ever played the demo but someone else might have some insight on the full game?

(sorry for the bad screens)
89403_large.jpeg

1e1f4e76ae8ee093d6173a2fdf303ade.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CyClones all the way. Independent aiming and movement.

Check it.

And who can forget SkyNET?

Square Triangle said:
Dark Forces is still the best Star Wars game ever.

Sad but true, and let's just hope that Lucas Arts dies and start licencing the Star Wars name so that skilled teams can work on Star Wars games.

I'd like to mention Disruptor too.

game_cov_disruptor_lg.jpg

It's the first game made by Insomniac in the early PSone days. The live action FMV are delicious, I particularly like teh teleporter. The gameplay is pretty fast for a console game, and the game shows that even back then. Insomniac cared for level design and variety, every level has its own setting and new types of enemies/weapon. I discovered this game a year or two ago, and I had a blast playing it. It's not a masterpiece, but it's a really solid Doom clone, and in my opinion, it's one of the best Doom clone, and it's exteremely overlooked. If you're into that kind of game, it might be worth checking it out.

Delicious intro : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MvJkKajv-k

some gameplay : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq65J63JZd4

Numpt3

This thread brings back so many memories. Setting people on fire with the flare gun in blood never got old. :lol

Realms of the haunting used to scare the shit out of me...

No_Style

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

Things I remember about Shogo:

• Awesome mech and on foot weapons
  • Getting crushed by doors as you open them; had to open and step back! :lol
  • Lots of open spaces during mech moments

Danneee

No_Style said:

And it had a nice sense of scale as you encountered standard soldiers as mech too.

spats

No_Style said:

Shogo was nuts. I miss that game.

StuBurns

Banned
I hadn't even heard of Blood till literally yesterday when it was being discussed in the DNF thread, I'm surprised. Not tried it yet, but looking forward to it. Saying that, Shadow Warrior did nothing for me.

I don't have a lot of nostalgia for these games, I never really liked Doom or Wolf3D, I loved DN3D, but outside of that, not a huge genre fan at all. DN3D, then although liking the first Quake, it's not till HL1 I think the genre really progressed, although that's really in retrospect.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Blood had some of the best music in a fps. Carnival stage = <3

I miss the days when fps had a sense of humor and didn't take themselves so seriously.

"IT BURNS!! IT BURNS!!" :lol

subversus said:
I enjoyed this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OsH4ZuAlI

Also there was some wolf3d-like fps about some mutants or biochemical weapons or something like that, I forgot the title :(
This one brings back bad memories of Corridor 7, a game which probably sucks too much for this thread. I only got the chance to play it on a friend's ageing computer before it was packed away for good, and this was about the time Duke3D had come out and we'd played a lot of it.

Watching the video now though, it seems to at least have kinda good sound effects I guess.

RaidenZR

Atmosphere of Heretic and Hexen was incredible for the time. Always loved Hexen's ambient sounds and blowing leaves.

S. L.

No_Style said:

• these awesome metallic bullet impact effects on metal surfaces
  • Crazy cat rescue mission

Altazor

-Shadow Warrior, as already mentioned. Sadly, all I could play back then was the damn Trial Version... but that didn't stop my enjoyment :D.

-Quake: Futurist/Medieval? GIVE IT TO ME. Fuck the sequels with their "space marine against aliens" shit, I liked the dark fantasy angle more. Far more.

I should really try the Doom N64 PC port/mod, even back then I hated the controls of Doom 64, it must be unplayable today, but on PC with keyboard and mouse it must be fine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MYE said:
No-one mentioned the best Doom game ever?

Doom 64 was awesome back in the day.
I remember playing it when my older brother's friend brought it over, we had to wait for our parents to leave to play it since they would never allow something to violent in the house. It was so intense and scary as a kid.
Good stuff.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Dark Forces was amazing!

Another movie inspired one I found highly entertaining was Terminator future shock.
It captured the post apocalyptic L.A from the movies perfectly.

Human processing plants, roaming through nuclear wastelands, highway chases, terminators and hunter killers!
It had great objectives that didn't necessarily meant just killing everything in the level, which was more the norm those days.

1.jpg

skynet-320.png

sn6sx8.png

RockmanWhore said:
I should really try the Doom N64 PC port/mod, even back then I hated the controls of Doom 64, it must be unplayable today, but on PC with keyboard and mouse it must be fine.

Its a fantastically well done conversion. Well worth checking out.

For my shoutout I'm going to go for Valve's DMC. Its basically multiplayer Quake on Steam and plays as well today as it ever did and there's still plenty of servers up here in Europe. There's no bonuses for hours played, you only get better by learning the game and improving your skills and its so much more rewarding than your average modern FPS that will reward you no matter how terribly you play.

Top Bottom