• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSiWare content CAN be transferred to the 3DS!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/3ds-supports-transfers-for-downloaded-software/

Original source comes from Nintendo's new (Japanese language) IR report.

There is a limit on how many times content can be transferred (though that obviously means that you can do it more than once!) and some content cannot be transferred (I would assume that this would include things like the DSi Browser and the built-in software since their 3DS versions would make them redundant anyway!)

So much for those who said that Nintendo would make you rebuy your downloaded content :lol

Of course this probably will also apply to the Wii's successor as well!

Oh happy days :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Great to hear. Should mean the same thing with the Wii -> Wii++ too.

Wonder what kind of Limitations there will be though.

thank you Nintendo. this is great news

people will still complain the shit out of it.
it's always like that. (just shut up)

I'm just glad to know Nintendo's policy on migration to future consoles. Nintendo have set the bar now so hopefully it'll ensure that Microsoft and Sony follow suit!

Also, thanks to the 3DS having a Virtual Handheld service, it'll mean that we'll eventually have both Shantae games playable on the 3DS :D

With this, the Virtual Console can become a true archival service where the original versions of games are made available forever :D

Hopefully this'll spur sales as well, now that we know for sure that our purchases are safe :D

DonMigs85

seal-of-approval.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hope I can transfer cross region. My DSi is Japanese, and I'm still not sure if I'll be getting a Japanese 3DS in February.

seady

Wonder if the 3DS can access DSi store, or has it separate store. They need to have a better store interface though no matter what.

seady said:
Wonder if the 3DS can access DSi store, or has it separate store. They need to have a better store interface though no matter what.

Of course it will have access to the DSi store, why wouldn't they let you give them money if it can already play DSi Ware games?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
amtentori said:
meh. sounds like it is a crappy work around as opposed to an actual account based solution.

How would you do that without an account on your DSi ? No one said that there wont be an account based system on 3DS though. They didnt reveal their 3DSWare and online plans today...maybe at GDC.

Wow, I did not expect this to happen. They better not to do some shit through Nintendo Club though, cause that's not available in Sweden.

Tobor

I'll say the same thing I said in the virtual console thread:

Still not good enough. Just tie purchases to an account, FFS.

They're so obstinate about such a simple problem to fix.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iamaustrian said:
there we go.....

90% of your posts boil down to "fucken dumb gaffers" or some variant thereof. I just wanted to let you know that it hasn't gone unnoticed.

What he means is that this sounds like a band-aid fix. You can transfer content from DSi to 3DS and from 3DS to a new 3DS, but it's all kind of ad hoc, seat of your pants kind of thing. There's no confirmation of an account system, and in fact we have confirmation that the DRM is restricted so that transfers have a "limit".

c/f the iPod Touch / iPhone.

Tobor said:
I'll say the same thing I said in the virtual console thread:

Still not good enough. Just tie purchases to an account, FFS.

They're so obstinate about such a simple problem to fix.

Seriously. I think it's nice that if I buy a DSiware game I can transfer it, but Nintendo is taking baby steps regarding this online content. Hopefully they announce some proper support before it is released.

Sickboy007 said:
Where was it confirmed?

The feature that causes the DSI to be region locked is the DSIware, I think its a given now anyway that Nintendo hate region free with a passion and will lock everything up tight to stop importers (except obviously those who actually import the consoles)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The system being locked to one online store or region is fine by me.

As long as they don't lock the carts.

kyo_daikun said:
The feature that causes the DSI to be region locked is the DSIware, I think its a given now anyway that Nintendo hate region free with a passion and will lock everything up tight to stop importers (except obviously those who actually import the consoles)

This sucks, does this mean i wont be able to play my japanese ds games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sickboy007 said:
This sucks, does this mean i wont be able to play my japanese ds games?

Region situation:
DS games: No region information, can't be region locked.
DSi enhanced games: Not region locked on DS, region locked on DSi and presumably 3DS
DSi exclusive games: Region locked on DSi and presumably 3DS
DSiWare: Region locked on DSi and presumably 3DS
3DS games: Unknown, presumably locked.
3DSWare: Unknown, presumably locked.

VOOK said:
The system being locked to one online store or region is fine by me.

As long as they don't lock the carts.

They will, all the 3DS carts will have "features" meaning they can't be played on other region 3DS's, I would bet my left testicle on it.

Stumpokapow said:
Region situation:
DSi enhanced games: Not region locked on DS, region locked on DSi and presumably 3DS

What is the point of region locking now? Not just talking about 3DS, I mean why do companies do it? Is it over piracy concerns?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
prodystopian said:
What is the point of region locking now? Not just talking about 3DS, I mean why do companies do it? Is it over piracy concerns?

Traditionally, the following arguments are advanced:
- Parental controls / differences in rating systems
- Licensing issues (content licensed for one region but not another)
- Competition with domestic subsidiaries (importing hurts NoA / NoE)

I find them all bogus.

prodystopian said:

Not really piracy as obviously if your buying the game from another country your still paying for it (probably more than what it is actually worth)

It's all down to licensing, whether it has received an age rating in a country and so on, every other company just decided that it wasn't worth them putting region protection on their consoles while Nintendo is the exact opposite and puts it in wherever they can these days, they also go out of their way to stop people trying to circumvent the region protection (released patches on the wii to stop freeloader and stuff)

Edit: Stumpokapow beat me

Stumpokapow said:
Region situation:

Gaaah, they're really stuck in the past sometimes... well there is still a glimmer of hope i guess.

I think this is one of the biggest piracy incentive they can give.

You can always just get the 3DS from another region if you primarily buy all your games from there, im going to get an american 3DS straight away as it is where I buy all my games from.

Guevara

Now maybe I'll give Zenonia a chance on a device with a d-pad. I tried the iPhone demo, but I hated the touch controls too much.

Stumpokapow said:
90% of your posts boil down to "fucken dumb gaffers" or some variant thereof. I just wanted to let you know that it hasn't gone unnoticed.

yeah, you are right. sorry about that

Stumpokapow said:
What he means is that this sounds like a band-aid fix. You can transfer content from DSi to 3DS and from 3DS to a new 3DS, but it's all kind of ad hoc, seat of your pants kind of thing. There's no confirmation of an account system, and in fact we have confirmation that the DRM is restricted so that transfers have a "limit".

c/f the iPod Touch / iPhone.

That's pretty interesting.
Doesn't that render console(handheld)-tied friendcodes useless?

side note: I don't know how it works with iphone/ipod touch as I don't own these devices

kyo_daikun said:
You can always just get the 3DS from another region if you primarily buy all your games from there, im going to get an american 3DS straight away as it is where I buy all my games from.

What about all the networking features (autoupdating, stores, multiplayer, applications) of the 3DS? Will they work in a different region?

How's the situation with imported DSis?

Sickboy007 said:
What about all the networking features (autoupdating, stores, multiplayer, applications) of the 3DS? Will they work in a different region?

How's the situation with imported DSis?

They all work, they don't check your ip address (yet) multiplayer usually works as its the exact same system.

snowballs chance in hell but i wish we could transfer wii vc game's to the 3DS :(

a man can dream :lol

good news on the dsi transfer, i got a lot of DSiware games

Futureman

Drkirby said:
Great to hear. Should mean the same thing with the Wii -> Wii++ too.

Yes! I got into the Wii game late, but if I can transfer all my Wii downloadable content and play Wii games on Wii2, I'll probably bite and upgrade. Hopefully Nintendo unveils Wii2 at E3 next year.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
good job, Nintendo.

*hugs large DSiWare collection*

Top Bottom