• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asphalt 3D for 3DS (Gameloft; published in Japan by Konami)

http://nintendo3dsblog.com/konami-r...s-ridge-racer-look-even-uglier#more-611530076

Asphalt-3D-1.jpg

I don't really know anything about this game but didn't see a thread on it and at the very least thought it might ease the sting of Ridge Racer a bit.

Sorry if this is redundant, I searched back five pages or so and didn't see anything.

Correction: NOT from Konami, but Gameloft, and published by our friends at Konami in Japan.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Putting Namco to shame... Not that it was difficult to achieve lol.

Stumpokapow said:
not "from Konami"; from GameLoft, published in Japan by Konami :p

Ah, sorry about that, that's what I get for taking an unestablished blog at their word. If you wanna correct the title that'd be appreciated but I'll amend the first post regardless.

That's a good looking racing game.

Also, anyone who thinks Ridge Racer 3DS looks like Ridge Racer PSP should google image search "Ridge Racer PSP" real quick. That said, Asphalt 3D still makes RR3DS look like dog shit.

Elixist

Hmmm, Hmmm * taps index finger on chin* looks colorful and Dreamcastish, would like to see gameplay footage.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like Aspahlt 5 - but in 3D, schould be a 3DSWare game imo, but since Bandai Namco isnt bringing their A game, its probably the better alternative...

Kafel

Banned
It's like I'm always looking at the same screens from Asphalt, would it be the first game, or second, or etc.

joshwaan

This game looks to be the one of the prettier racers shown so far. Ridge Racer 3DS need I comment... yes i played that game before think it was back in 1999 N64 days :p

HOPEFULLY better then Asphalt 5, which was great to start with but once you unlocked the medium to fast vehicles it was so stupid that you would ride the wall most of the time because 1) car's do not turn enough, and 2) drifting would slow you down a good 50% making you lose races.

Just be careful with gameloft, they like to pump games out and cut corners / testing.

The Urban Asphalt GT games on DS were not offensive in their quality, but they definitely weren't very good, either. I do not really have high hopes for this.

Incidentally, there are some good DS racing games. Nothing like what you'd find on a console, but check out Sideswiped (Burnout Clone), any of the Pixar Cars games, Monster Jam: Urban Assault, and the DS version of Speed Racer (F-Zero clone).

SmokyDave

Looks like a 3D port of Asphalt 5. A competent little arcade racer but nothing special. Having said that, Asphalt 5 was 59p, I expect they'll add an awful lot to justify a full retail game.

DonMigs85

The best-looking racer I'd ever seen on DS was Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights. The old Asphalts were quite ugly and choppy in comparison.

Juiced-2-Hot-Import-Nights.jpg

Some small bits, but mostly just a reposting of old shots together.

First, here's the website of the game, though it's bare right now:

http://www.konami.jp/products/asphalt/

Second, here's the link to Gameloft's Facebook page showing the native-res shots shown in the OP and the website. And here's another link at 4Gamer showing a bunch of shots posted in another thread.

Slightly unrelated, but Gameloft just recently showed a trailer of Asphalt 6 for ipohone and it has nearly the same HUD as Asphalt 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=798DctSwrCU

But the 3DS game seems to be much better looking. Is it possible that the 3DS game is actually based on the 6th game and both are being made at the same time, or is the 3DS version really looking like the 5th game?

Magicbox apparently has some info about the game:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1009/game100929c.shtml

Konami will release Asphalt 3D for 3DS in spring 2011, the latest work of the Asphalt series, featuring up to 6 players over WiFi, 40 licensed cars and 16 tracks in 3D.

Is that possibly the info from 4Gamer? Anyone willing to translate what's in the 4Gamer page?

Finally, I just grouped together the screenshots and a piece of art in a Picasa album for easy viewing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GoldMetalSonic/Asphalt3D#

lol wtf is going on at gameloft. They pump shit out like it's nobodies business. Except they're pumping out everyone else's business.

You know what's odd? Look at these two shots:

3.jpg
4.jpg

The left's part of the three from the website and Gameloft's Facebook page, the right is from 4Gamer.

The right looks kinda rough, less lighting, less reflective surfaces on the cars, and the map looks pretty poor compared to the more slick map of the left one. And the icons and whatnot on the HUD look neater as well on the left.

I'm hoping that the left is from a more recent build.

Kuran

Banned
Gameloft are the trash of gaming development.. I will vote with my wallet. Having Konami associate themselves with Gameloft is weird.. but I'm not surprised after their recent efforts.

Maybe Konami will find out that Gameloft released that Castlevania knockoff on DSiWare..

kaf

Hero of Legend said:

The right looks kinda rough, less lighting, less reflective surfaces on the cars, and the map looks pretty poor compared to the more slick map of the left one. And the icons and whatnot on the HUD look neater as well on the left.

Somebody at GameLoft touched up the screenshots before putting up, Konami probably did not.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hero of Legend said:

3.jpg
4.jpg

The left's part of the three from the website and Gameloft's Facebook page, the right is from 4Gamer.

I think it's safe to drop that hope

Jacobi said:
Thats an iphone port isn't it...
I would think it's heavily based on Aslpalt 5 which looks like what we have seen so far, more then likely using the same car models.

Problem with 5 is that the game starts great, you have nice paced cars and the tracks are cool, then half way into the game you get cars so fast you will ride most walls at corners, drifting slows you down too much, the cpu become real hard to beat and the game goes tits up from there on out.

fernoca

Yeah. Right-pic seems to look closer to the real thing, which is still quite nice. Reminds me a little to Ridge Racer, more than Namco's own Ridge Racer for the 3DS.

seady

If they artistically improve the graphics in the menu on the upper part of the screens (position, laps etc), the whole presentation will feel improved by 100%.

Example:
ridgeracer2_psp.jpg

There's a Famitsu scan around with a new name; Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing.

The graphics look like the better shots from the JP website, so it looks as I hoped; the better shots were from a more recent build. :D

Hopefully Konami updates the site with high-res shots soon, or Gameloft updates their Facebook page.

Top Bottom