• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cresent Pale Mist coming to PSN next week. ($5.99)

shwimpy

It’s a hardcore 2.5D action/platformer that will scratch your nostalgia itch, just like the Gundemonium Collection did, but in a very different way. Crescent Pale Mist combines tense exploration platforming with rapid fighting and bullet-hell shoot-’em-up mechanics into one thrilling experience.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/05/next-week-on-psn-crescent-pale-mist/

Trailer.

5146656661_b22e2c62be_b.jpg

5146656351_5a5c40927d_b.jpg

5146656409_2a05e70d7e_b.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DMPrince said:
i thought they renamed Dark Mist.

Dark Mist NEVER got a US release? wtf

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, that looks amazing.

Maybe want. But I need a demo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMPrince said:
It's $5.99. It doesn't need a demo. just your munnies

Bah, $6 impulse buys are dead and gone in the age of $15 downloadable titles.

That and I'm not completely sold on the RPG/Bullet-hell/Platforming hybridness of it yet. I need gameplay in my hands before I commit.

I can't tell WTF is going on in those pictures but for $5.99, I'll bite.

EDIT: I actually clicked the link and saw the trailer. Yeah, it's a definite buy now. Looks sweet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just watched the trailer. That was totally badass. I'm in.

God damn November 9th is a big day.

I have no idea what I just watched but I am in.

By the way, what is the name of the Ikaruga like action platformer?

Vard

Screens look awesome. Co-op mode or 1 player only? Might get it either way at that price!

Edit - I actually thought it was a shmup at first! Saw the trailer. Want.

Looking forward to this tomorrow

Seems like the type of game I will LOVE for like 45 minutes and then it will get hard and make me cry

So is it straight forward point a to b or do I do some exploring / backtracking metroid style?

thetrin

BobTheFork said:
Fuck I thought we were getting Dark Mist finally. FU

This...uh...looks a lot better than Dark Mist.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did anyone get this game? I kinda like it though despite the numerous button commands to execute something.

ULTROS!

I was able to complete the game in normal mode (finally).

Despite the game being frustrating, difficult, and annoying (because the stages are long, looking the same, and on rare occasions, difficult to progress unless you inquire online), there's something I like about this game. The crazy bullet-spells, the crazy action, and the crazy bosses who are crazy hard. Sure it doesn't stand out or anything but the game is fun, not to mention if you want a challenging platformer, I'd definitely recommend this.

Presentation wise, despite the portraits being uneven and all (meaning that when a number of character portraits change expressions, the position will be a bit "off") and its plain looking areas, I appreciate the developer's effort because, according to the credits, the entire game was done by one guy.

The story is so-so.

One dungeon can take 30mins-1hour, depending on your speed and ability to memorize locations/mazes. Be sure not to quit the dungeon until you complete it because you'll start from the very beginning of that dungeon.

Trophies are kinda difficult to obtain.

Edit: The music room is interesting, each music has a developer's commentary.

I'd give it a 8/10

I bought it but I realized I'm really not cut out for the game when I could only do one of those jumps off of a staggered baddie in the tutorial... and I tried for like 10 minutes. :lol
I'm getting old.

ULTROS!

Just make sure you play it on easy/normal mode first. The bosses are beatable by simply pressing R2 (for reducing the damage you receive) and mashing triangle (for the spells, you'll need a good amount of PM).

I didn't even use the dagger throw/spell at all (except for one area, wherein I have to teleport via enemy that's behind a barrier).

Revolutionary said:
I bought it but I realized I'm really not cut out for the game when I could only do one of those jumps off of a staggered baddie in the tutorial... and I tried for like 10 minutes. :lol
I'm getting old.

Don't feel bad. I was excited for that Zombie Tempura game on XBL and after playing the demo, I'm not cut out for that game either.

We could brofist, but we may break our frail old man bones. :p

gokieks

Bought the game. It looks and sounds great, but I'm not thrilled about the controls, and by extension the gameplay. I don't particularly like the DS3 d-pad for 2D platforming, and the analog stick just isn't precise enough. I tried using an arcade stick and that did work better, but the game also uses L3 (and maybe R3?), which I don't have. The levels are also pretty damn repetitive (within each stage) and just not very interesting after a while.

All in all, I don't feel like I didn't get my money's worth, but playing the game mostly served to make me want to play Muramasa instead, and remind me of how much I want a HD version of that game (or Odin Sphere).

Bebpo

Banned
I picked it up out of curiosity and tried playing it and I have no idea what is going on during the boss fights. The hit detection is weiiiiird as is the movement.

Top Bottom