• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Lair PSN Bound

kassatsu

Banned
Due out sometime this month, Dragon's Lair will be coming to PSN in HD with trophies.

http://www.psnstores.com/2010/11/rumor-dragons-lair-coming-to-psn/

There is no price yet, but there should be an official announcement soon.

Dirk the Daring and Princess Daphne outfits from the classic Dragon’s Lair franchise are also going to be in Home.

5185528656_a70e93ec31_z.jpg

5185528442_30986397ac_z.jpg

Creepy as hell.

Great news for the Heavy Rain and God of War 3 crowd!

But seriously, does anybody still enjoy playing Dragon's Lair at this point? It's a classic to an extent, but it is hard for me to revisit.

In HD is interesting, though.
kassatsu said:
Also I am pretty sure it is just the Blu-ray release ported to psn.
EDIT: Ah.

kassatsu

Banned
a Master Ninja said:

But seriously, does anybody still enjoy playing Dragon's Lair at this point? It's a classic to an extent, but it is hard for me to revisit.
I really hope it isn't over $5, I don't think I can justify paying any more than that.

Man

a Master Ninja said:
It will be interesting to visit for the first time for plenty of people I reckon.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
a Master Ninja said:
It wasn't good when it came out, just cool to watch.

That said, the GBC version was impressive as hell as a tech piece.

MrPliskin

Banned
a Master Ninja said:

In HD is interesting, though.

EDIT: Ah.

I don't understand this part.

stuminus3

This game was shit 27 years ago. It's amazing they've been able to get so much out of it over the years... especially considering the laser disc technology that gained it attention in the first place stopped being impressive many, many, many, many years ago.

Don motherfucking Bluth, though. <3

Dragon's Lair was just before my time and thus, I was never able to actually play it. Therefore, I'll definitely be checking it out for the first time come next week (or the next).

webrunner

MrPliskin said:

Dragons Lair is pretty much the prototype to the modern Quick Time Event, later evolved to it's modern form by Shenmue, which was used extensively by God of War.

If you don't have to sit there swearing and pumping coins into an arcade-machine because you pushed left instead of right then it's not the real DL experience.

rhino4evr

What ALWAYS annoys me is that they keep re-releasing Dragons Lair which has aged poorly, but they never release the vastly superior Dragons Lair 2.: Time Warp. Why not release space ace also and call it the Bluth trilogy pack?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rhino4evr said:
What ALWAYS annoys me is that they keep re-releasing Dragons Lair which has aged poorly, but they never release the vastly superior Dragons Lair 2.: Time Warp. Why not release space ace also and call it the Bluth trilogy pack?
They have done this on DVD and Blu-Ray a million times.

Roto13

Dragon's Lair is on everything already. Christ, Dragon's Lair is on DSiWare. (And the second one is getting a DSiWare release too.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looking forward to it, hope it's not horribly expensive.

I bet once you finish the game, you'll get all the trophies (and one trophy for finishing the game without dying at all).

vazel

Banned
I'll be buying this for Don Bluth animation not the gameplay. Hopefully it's no more than $9.99 the BD is overpriced.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DRAGONS LAIR! THE FANTASY ADVENTURE WHERE YOU BECOME A VALIANT KNIGHT ON A QUEST TO RESCUE THE FAIR PRINCESS FROM THE CLUTCHES OF AN EVIL DRAGON!

Burned in my mind forever from the waaaaay too loud machine at Malibu Grand Prix when i was like 5. Shut the fuck up! im trying to play Kangaroo, FFS!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've never played this, so I'm kinda interested if only from a historical perspective. Have to see the price though.

Zachack

Princess Skittles said:
Dragon's Lair is barely a game, what can they even do with trophies other than "Complete with less than X misses?"
Going from the most recent release on the iPhone, I'd guess the following:

Beat game, without continuing, without dying, with indicators turned off (yellow flashes), see all deaths.

I could also see "checkpoint" achievements for the more famous rooms, like the Black Knight, Horse Armor ride, and Half-pipe.

consoul

kassatsu said:
It can't be. BD-Java is janky on PS3. I have the BD release and it has never worked perfectly on PS3. It's performance has also changed under different firmwares.

The HD remaster looks great, but they'd better be recoding it in something more robust than BD-Java.

MrPliskin

Banned
levious said:
if you understood the heavy rain part, then you understood the god of war 3 part.

I suppose I'm just confused at the insinuation that God of War titles are almost entirely QTE's.

I understand that Heavy Rain is largely QTE driven, more so than God of War. Then again, it is Master Ninja so it should have been pretty obvious to me from the start why he said it...

vg260

I ADORED Dragons's Lair as a kid. It was like my favorite thing, ever. But enough is enough. No more ports. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!! This has got to be the record for the most conversions ever made. It's unreal how many times it's been re-released.

kassatsu

Banned
1080p HD Remastered Video
Visual Move Guide
Classic Arcade Monitor View
Online Leaderboard
Trophy Support
Exclusive Dragon's Lair PlayStation®Home Reward
Watch Mode - View the Animation Without Dying!

Dragon's Lair is available Tuesday November 23rd on the PlayStation®Store for only $9.99.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kassatsu said:
Visual Move Guide
Online Leaderboard
Trophy Support

Dragon's Lair is available Tuesday November 23rd on the PlayStation®Store for only $9.99.

You know I'm sensitive to the "Move" word. Can you elaborate on what that means?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Zachack said:
Going from the most recent release on the iPhone, I'd guess the following:

Beat game, without continuing, without dying, with indicators turned off (yellow flashes), see all deaths.

I could also see "checkpoint" achievements for the more famous rooms, like the Black Knight, Horse Armor ride, and Half-pipe.
That's really stretching it but whatevs, the animation is absolutely amazing for anybody who hasn't watched it yet, at least.

kassatsu said:
Visual Move Guide
Online Leaderboard
Trophy Support

Great news! Time to get a PSN card sorted!

Sipowicz

Banned
MrPliskin said:

in god of war you have, for cetain enemies/sections you have to press a a particular button at a particular time. failure to do so results in you dying or the enemy getting their health back

mm04

I loved the game when I was a kid. Used to be able to finish the game with 1 life. Boy, through time my ability to memorize has declined astronomically! That being said, it is a game that's more fun to watch than anything else.

androvsky

kassatsu said:
Visual Move Guide
Online Leaderboard
Trophy Support

Damnit, I'm already horribly behind in PSN games I want to buy. I wonder how big of a download it'll be though... not that it matters to me, I've got HD space to burn. Hope they do the other two games in the series too.

LiK

kassatsu said:
Visual Move Guide
Online Leaderboard
Trophy Support

yay, called it.

man, that's a little pricey...i mean, i think i bought this on iphone for 99cents...it's arguably the same game. $5 sounds much more appropriate. i'm glad ya'll remastered it and whatnot but

cmonson.png

Top Bottom