• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #63 - "The Return"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DumbNameD

Theme - "The Return"
Someone or something returns or is returned. Like the writing challenges! And like Batman.

Word Limit: 2250

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, December 16, 2010, and goes until Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Ending First - Put the ending at the beginning of your story, and then tell how the ending came to be. If you look at a taco from above, you have the crunchy shell, the meaty center, and then more crunchy shell. Your ending scene is your crunchy shell. For example, if one were to adapt 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf,' then one might start with the boy face-to-face with wolves and then tell how he got to that point before resolving the boy's encounter with the wolves.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

Entries:
"Ten Steps" - Ashes1396 | (EasyRead)
"$500 and a Dildo" - ronito
"The Wizard of The Enchanted Forest" or "Return to Sender" - itsinmyveins
"Listerine and Wigs" - Tim the Wiz
"Sometimes They Don't" - crowphoenix
"Kindling" - Cyan
"Sandbox" - Irish
"Encore" - DumbNameD
"17 years later" - Tangent

Irish

Interesting topic you have there. The few times I've tried to fool with the chronological order of events in a story haven't really worked out all that well for me.

NaNoWriMo kind of wore me out though. 264 words was just a lot to get through in a month's time. :p

Cyan

Banned
Goodness, the Sunday voting people are out in force. I definitely prefer Saturday voting, but I'm not sure I'm as fervent about it as the Sunday people. :p

Anyway, got a few ideas so far. Very thematic--ronito'd be proud. :)

ronito

Cyan said:
Goodness, the Sunday voting people are out in force. I definitely prefer Saturday voting, but I'm not sure I'm as fervent about it as the Sunday people. :p

There's a theme for a reason damnit!

Omikaru

Hi guys, I was a NaNoWriMo contestant, and was lured into this thread by Irish and Cyan. I'm still totally burned out from the 50,000 slog (and I have more of that novel to do), but I will be following these threads, reading your pieces, and taking part in a challenge in the near future.

Just figured I'd get my introduction out of the way! :D

ronito

Omikaru said:
Hi guys, I was a NaNoWriMo contestant, and was lured into this thread by Irish and Cyan. I'm still totally burned out from the 50,000 slog (and I have more of that novel to do), but I will be following these threads, reading your pieces, and taking part in a challenge in the near future.

apmr7.gif

Cyan

Banned
Omikaru said:

You've got nearly two weeks to refill your sanity meter and then get a little writing done. This is like one day of NaNo. You can do this! (seriously, come back in about a week and see how you're feeling)

Cyan said:

A lot of us enjoy partying on Saturdays. :)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cyan said:
Snapples! This should be interesting...

Sup AU? Does your sudden appearance here mean you'll be writing something?

:p

Yeah, I will try and do something. I am writing something for the Austin Chronicle contest anyways but they have a 2500 word count limit.

ronito

Ashes1396 said:
:lol

One could avatar quote the other, and insanity would ensue.
Somewhere a black hole would suddenly form.

Anyhoo, just to verify there wont be any mods reading this thread. I have a feeling this will be another tag/ban worthy challenge for me.

Omikaru

Mike Works said:
Suggestion for prospective university students: do not take nothing but writing courses in a semester.

Good God.
I did a whole University year of writing courses last year.

I survived. Barely.

ronito

Cyan said:
Oh man, that's is too funny.

Seriously tempted slap that on a avatar.

Sadly, the donkey will not be returning. But it did give me the idea of a future piece. I think I'll call it "Donkage e trois."

Ashes

Banned
Signing in from the silence. Strange to hear ronito going out and out cause the last time he did that I did the same thing. It's not as challenging this time round, as I'm not talking about pedophiles now. Still I'm writing horror and I hope I've taken that genre on by it's reigns.
Have finished the first draft, and I'm going to let it stew for a while.

I'll mark it as for mature readers only, so as not to offend those easily offended. Let us hope that the mods look left of the writing challenges as usual.

edit: I have the one title as of yet. And I mean to keep it that way. :)

Irish

Interesting, Ashes. I can't wait to see what you've cooked up for dinner.

I'm not really sure where I plan on taking the theme this time around. I may just revisit one of my previous entries. I might stumble upon something interesting while looking through them.

AnkitT

Ah, nice to see the lot return to their selves. :D I have an idea, and some extra free time this week, so should be fun.

ronito

Ashes1396 said:
Signing in from the silence. Strange to hear ronito going out and out cause the last time he did that I did the same thing. It's not as challenging this time round, as I'm not talking about pedophiles now. Still I'm writing horror and I hope I've taken that genre on by it's reigns.
Have finished the first draft, and I'm going to let it stew for a while.

I'll mark it as for mature readers only, so as not to offend those easily offended. Let us hope that the mods look left of the writing challenges as usual.

edit: I have the one title as of yet. And I mean to keep it that way. :)
Well if we do well we can say "great minds think alike" if we fail, we fail together.

And I too am looking forward to what you got.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's greatful that mods don't read these.

Yeef

NaNo has filled me with a renewed vigor for writing. I also have one more day off this week, so I'm down.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
AlternativeUlster said:
Yeah, I will try and do something. I am writing something for the Austin Chronicle contest anyways but they have a 2500 word count limit.

Yeah, I've only been in these threads, and sometimes the Super Street Fighter 4 thread. I've been doing a lot of soul searching/jacking off lately, so I don't have as much time for GAF.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I guess I'm in. Gonna try to make a more consistent story in terms of pacing this time around, and I'm about halfway through a first draft of it. On the other hand the story is stupid and silly so yeah. I just hope I won't burst past the word limit.

ronito

Timedog said:
I've been doing a lot of soul searching/jacking off lately
Aren't they the same thing?

Anyhoo, you play SSFIV? Are you on PSN you should add me ronitoc (I suck)

Iceman

definitely in... since it means a distraction away from my novel (which only barely got off the ground during nanowrimo)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
ronito said:
Aren't they the same thing?

Anyhoo, you play SSFIV? Are you on PSN you should add me ronitoc (I suck)

xbox360 only :(. I'm one of the best Ryu's in the world though.

DumbNameD

Alright, extended voting to Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:59 PM Pacific. Around a week left to get something written.

Iceman

ha! I was just banging out some story ideas for this thing and just opened neogaf to look for this thread to check on the word count/limit... timely bump.

Ashes

Banned
Hmm.... the niceties of simplicity or the workings of complexity. End it with a bang, or to make it work on several levels. I'm gonna think about submitting this a little bit more.

I, too, have been filled with a renewed vigor for writing through NaNo by, ahem, not participating. Yes, it seems I thrive on doing nothing for long periods of time. The outcome should be interesting, eh?

ronito said:
Sadly, the donkey will not be returning. But it did give me the idea of a future piece. I think I'll call it "Donkage e trois."

More anticipated than Dance with Dragons.

Cyan

Banned
Haha, finally started my piece and I'm having a good time with it. Playing around with schmancy prose in a way I don't normally do.

Ashes

Banned
Ten Steps
inspired by film shorts

FOR MATURE READERS ONLY
Strong language, scenes of a sexual nature, horror.

Ten steps into the cellar,
Ten steps into the hell hole.
Pop goes the weasel....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

With his penis burning like a grain of sand in the sub-Saharan desert or like a chilli stuck up the arse, it fell to Giuseppe to douse it in water. He was no good. Crude and maladjusted, he thought he would catch AIDS by sleeping with a prostitute. A male one of course. Let's not be sexist here. When he relayed this fact to the prostitute in morning, the man, high on third rate coke, threw himself at Giuseppe with an iron. No that's not what burnt his penis. The metaphor there would be associated with lava surely. What made the penis sting was the sandpaper he used to masturbate with following the attack. Easily done, when smoking joints with Inositol cut in. The pain however sucks, and is most definitely intolerable. He shat, then jumped in the shower to cool his male member. He stroked his penis gently, apologising to it. He looked in the mirror, and thought to end it all. His reflection stared back at him; it would have spat at him if it could.

Giuseppe went upstairs next, and put on his mother's dress. The dresses were the type that had only ever been worn once.

“Music on. Track 16.” Giuseppe said out loudly.

The 'music' burst through the bulging speakers like a nail scratching down a chalkboard. It was the recording of a nursery rhyme he sang, with the screams of tortured pets in the background.

Ten steps into the cellar,
Ten steps into the hell hole.
Pop goes the weasel....
Ha ha ha ha ha.

After prancing about the double bed, he played the part of a ballet dancer, and flicked his lengthy hairy legs in the air. Afterwards, he sat wasted and coarse.

He lifted his heavy head and looked about the musty room adorned with collector items here, and designer items there. The hung head lowered, sedated with a billion or so chemicals, where taboo was the order of the day, and laughter the main course, and time was of no consequence.

“The fuck am I babbling on about?” he spoke loud and true. “There is no one fucking here!”

He looked about him again. The silence was deafening.

“Nothing. Woooo... Hellllloooooooooooo.”

He paused momentarily.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. Fuck you for fucking me up. I hate you, I hate you. I hate you,” he said pulling and scratching at his skin.

He walked over to a shelf, and plucked the letter F Encyclopedia, and thrust it at his shadow.

“Why couldn't you read a fucking book, instead of lighting a fucking joint! You stupid dumb fuck.” He said resignedly, as he sat on the floor, and cried. He banged his fists against the floor; banging it in frustration before using his forehead as the preferred hammer.

“You're a freakin cliché, you... freakin cliché!” he muttered under his blubbering. “And nobody cares... nobody does. Cause nobody can relate...”

“Oh I'm sorry,” came the first of the voices. “Allow me to feel sorry for you in this great big mansion of yours.”

“Go away... drunken voices. You're coming from me. I saw my lips move in the bathroom mirror when you were talking.”

“Ooh aren't you the clever one. If you're so clever, why don't you see someone about all this?”

“I should really...” Giuseppe said writhing in fits of hunger.

“At least lay off the Charlie.”

“That easy, is it? Why don't you quit the old powder.”

“Oh get out of my head. You're bloody boring.”

“What? Fuck I'm confusing my self even...”

#

Later that day, the icy wind lashed his face, and the snow belted his barely covered body as he stood outside in his underwear. He stretched his hands wide to catch the storm's full impact.

“What're you doing daddy?” his four year old child Anna asked him. She was confused and scared.

“Get away from here,” Giuseppe said. “You're not real. Go on, get outta here!”

The shimmering child vanished into the mist.

Giuseppe fell to his knees. He clutched his hair with some force. He went back into the house almost as white as a ghost. His knees started to weaken as his mind came to realize what he was about to do. They felt heavy like lead as lactic acid rushed through the muscle fibres. His hands shook as he reached for the magic tablets in the cupboard. He opened the lid with too much force and all the tablets sprayed onto the floor. He popped three pills and drank them down with neat vodka.

“What is the point of carrying on like this?” he said out loud. He lay helplessly defeated.

“Hmm,” his wife Maria said, crouching beside him. “It's better than the alternative.”

“Why don't you come more often?” Giuseppe said despondently.

“Why don't you think of me more often?”

Giuseppe reached out to touch her, and she in return moved away. She always moved. This kept the illusion alive.

Giuseppe watched television. It was Christmas adverts time. Families paraded their happiness around him. Their joviality and goodness was there for all to see, all colourful and lit brightly. He opened another beer and tried to empty it's contents in one take.

“Lies,” he shouted. “Fucking lies. Fucking capitalistic bull shit lies.”

Giuseppe was gaunt- thin to the ribcage bone and greying. He looked about his parent's house. They didn't live here. This was their holiday house. A fully furnished mansion with it's own housekeeper. Rosa, the house keeper came daily at around 4pm. Giuseppe would watch her with lewd eyes even though he considered her a 'butter face with big tits.'

Rosa came in at four on the dot. She was the fuller figured type, and not very handsome to the eye. She looked at her self in the bathroom mirror squashing down a crisp packet. She frowned. Since the owner's son had returned, she took to wearing the uniform again. She changed into her black maid's uniform with a standard white apron. She also carried a gun on her. A small one that she locked away in her purse, which ipso facto she also carried around on her person. She was a little frightened of the owner's son. He was completely barmy sometimes. She didn't think that he was naturally like this but that he brought it upon himself. Some people liked to be sad, and shed a tear, others liked to live it up, others still loved to get drunk beyond composure, and some people, liked to go crazy.

Giuseppe had told her once that she reminded him of his wife, after which he cruelly added: albeit my wife was actually pretty. You have big breasts but you compare... unfavourably.

When Rosa enquired after the wife and child down at the local pub, the bar maid told her, that Giuseppe had never married to her knowledge. Giuseppe's parents would have told her when they had come down a year or two ago. A second barmaid told her the opposite. It was from this barmaid that Rosa came to know of the cellar staircase. Rumour had it that it led down to hell. Rosa laughed along with the rest of the pub.

“Don't shoot the messenger,” the bar maid had said.

#

Rosa found Giuseppe wringing the necks of crows in the garden. The snap of a black bird's neck sent chills down her skeleton.

“What are you doing?” she asked not caring to mask her agitation.

“Lunch.”

Rosa left him to it, but her mind would not let it rest, so upon returning to the garden, she said:

“You are going to cook it, right?”

Giuseppe stared at her blankly. “Of course. What do you take me for?”

Rosa observed the measure and controlled countenance. Even at his most calmest, Giuseppe raised her heartbeat with his frenetic and almost psychotic lifestyle. “Not my place to speak sir. My apologies.”

Rosa imagined the mad son biting the black bird, and the blood spilling out of the mouth like a vampire who was having his fill. She shuddered at the thought.

After Rosa's work was done, she made a rush to leave even though she needed to take a piss. She stopped at the door. “Oh don't be silly,” she said and went to the bathroom.

Giuseppe was in the living room. He was cleaning his Grandfather's rifle, one from the first World War. He stopped Rosa as she raced out the bathroom. “You are leaving?”

“All the work's done.”

“You never dust the wine cellar. It's filthy.”

“I'll do that first thing tomorrow sir.”

“Why not now? Are you in a rush?”

“No sir,” Rosa said instinctively. She wished she had said the alternative.

“Then go now.”

Rosa stared at him. She fidgeted about her finger.

“Is there a reason you don't want to go down to the cellar?”

Rosa thought quickly. “There is actually sir. They say down in the town, that it leads to hell. Ten step and-”

“Don't be so ridiculous. And this is coming from a person who sees ghosts all the time.”

“What?”

She was afraid to take Giuseppe's statements as dark humour. He was far too convincing.

“I've been down there several times. Ten steps. Count them if you have to. It'll be dark there now, so take a torch or a candle. Remember to get a spare bulb from town tomorrow and I'll fix that up.”

Rosa stared at him. She had changed already, surely, she could clean it up tomorrow?

“Go on then. Move your fat arse.”

She wanted to retort, but she was not the mean spirited type. She disliked him so very much.

“You know.... they say at the pub that you never had a wife. So why did you say you had a wife.”

Giuseppe put the rifle down. “I did have a wife. And a child. Why do think I live here in this shitty place? Cause they are buried in the woods close by. As per her wishes. They were shot dead in the back by coward thieves.”

Rosa continued to stare at him. She presumed the personal pronoun referred to the wife.

“They say,” Giuseppe continued. “That if you are shot in the back of your head, you die so quickly you aren't even aware that you have died.”

Giuseppe felt his fingers spasm. Soon his neck would spasm. He didn't want to unnerve the maid more than he already had, but what was there to do.

Thunder crackled, and the lights in the house went out. Where had the rain come from? Giuseppe wondered. Giuseppe struck up a match and used it to light a cigarette. “The power circuit is down there. So one of us has to go now anyway. I'll tell you what. You check the graves outside, and I'll check the hell hole down stairs.”

Evil bastard, Rosa thought. “No,” she said firmly. “You check the graves, and take a pic on your mobile to prove it. And I'll go into the cellar.”

Giuseppe cocked his gun and puffed smoke. “Have it your way.”

Rosa took a candle from the kitchen and carried it down to the cellar. “Ten steps,” she thought, opening the cellar door with the correct key. She stepped on the first stair. “One.”

Giuseppe searched through his mobile phone for pictures of his late wife and child. He wasn't going to go out in this weather. He could hear violins playing in the background as his past played out around him.

“Two... three... four...”

Where were the pictures? Of course, he realised. They were on the other phone. Somebody was playing the piano.

“Five... six... seven...” Rosa said slowly. She was very much frightened in the dark. The darkness played tricks on the mind. She thought she could hear something stirring in the darkness. Was somebody else there with her? “Eight.”

Giuseppe could see the ghost of his wife dancing with someone. He felt a rage come upon him. Bang. Had it been him who had shot her? Had she even been unfaithful? She was dead before she hit the floor.... He heard a second bang. And what of the child. The child had seen him. Had the child been the dancing partner? It couldn't have been. Could it?

In that moment, he realised that he had destroyed every chance of the child's happiness. How could the child carry on living with that in her dreams? He had to shoot Anna.... Didn't he?

“Nine...”

Giuseppe's heart leapt out of his chest as all the memories rushed back to him. His wife danced around him child in hand...

“Ten........................................ Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen. Fourteen. Fifteen”

The End.

Not part of the story, but I've got so much time, so just a bonus, I guess....

Post Script.

The next morning, Giuseppe sat down on the kitchen floor having spilt his pills again. “Clean this shit up, will you?”
Rosa stared at him. She reached for the pills but hesitated. “Maybe you should stop taking the pills. All of what you've been experiencing could be explained though the extreme side effects of the wrong pills...”

Irish

Oh my, your piece is going to be rather interesting, Ashes. Can't wait to read the rest of it.

I don't have any ideas at the moment, but I went through the same thing last December. I might be able to come up with something before Wednesday though instead of sitting out a few challenges like I did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom