• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

HolyCheck said:
Yup loving it, you'll see a handful of games alternating in the number one spots.. but then you'll just see them no where for the next dozen or so votes.
Yeah, it's much more interesting this year than I ever remember it being. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Drey1082

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Halo Reach
5. Heavy Rain
6. FIFA 11
7. Madden 11
8. God of War 3
9. Rockband 3
10. Limbo

Just under a week left for the voting. Even if you've already voted, you can change your votes at any time before the end of the voting period. So use that time to play through some of the games you've gotten for the holidays, or the ones sitting in your backlog! :D

People voting ME2 like to vote on RDR and vice versa. Points collectors, definitely goty goes to either of those. People voting SC2 as their GOTY generally don't want anything to do with those two games. Super Mario galaxy attracts a different crowd altogether. This year there will be a winner, but clearly not every man's goty.

Omotesando said:
People voting ME2 like to vote on RDR and vice versa. Points collectors, definitely goty goes to either of those. People voting SC2 as their GOTY generally don't want anything to do with those two games. Super Mario galaxy attracts a different crowd altogether. This year there will be a winner, but clearly not every man's goty.

Hmm, those sound like they could make for some interesting statistics...

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; I wish more games had even half the imagination that Mario Galaxy 2 does.
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; I've wanted a sequel to original trilogy since 1996. Retro somehow managed to not disappoint.
3. Nier ; A game that is truly more than the sum of it's parts. Except the soundtrack, it's just in a league of it's own.
4. Deadly Premonition ; This game is insane. But it never stops being entertaining for a second.
5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; A nice return to form after Metal Gear Solid 4.
6. Minecraft ; This game, and the things you can do in it still blows my mind.
7. Cave Story ; This game is ageing like a fine wine. Feels good to finally support Pixel.
8. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm ; Rekindled my addiction once again.
9. Halo: Reach ; A great game, even if I still enjoy Halo 3 more.
10. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; If it weren't for the horrible story in the single player, this game would easily be in the top 5.

x. Just Cause 2 ; Horrible story, but I've still spent 40 hours on it.
x. Vanquish ; I wish all shooters were this awesome.
x. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; It's so pretty, but so boring!
x. Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light ; This game did not deserve the hate it got.
x. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ; It's another Golden Sun game finally! Gotta love the puzzles.
x. God of War 3 ; The game had the highest highs of the series, but the other 2 games were consistently better throughout.
x. Gran Turismo 5 ; When your racing, it's awesome. When your not, it's punishing.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War 3
3. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
4. Heavy Rain
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
8. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
HolyCheck said:
Yup loving it, you'll see a handful of games alternating in the number one spots.. but then you'll just see them no where for the next dozen or so votes.
I wouldn't say there is much variety. The list is going be pretty much exactly what people would have guessed at the beginning of the year. A list flooded with HD Twin AAA releases, with the token PC/Wii release.

Haunted said:
It looks like GAF will choose a good GOTY this year.
Well, we can't get much worse than Adventure Game of the year being Flower. The bar is low! :lol

Omotesando said:

This is a lie! Starcraft 2 is my number one and I think ME2 falls somewhere in my 8-10 range. RDR isn't on my list because I didn't enjoy it, but I still played it for a good 10 hours or so at a buddies place. I was interested in them, they just didn't execute very well in my opinion.

But this is a good thing! It won't be dominated by a single platform like we had last year (I think PS3 had a ton of the top 10). This year we are getting a much more diverse pool and people with all platforms will be able to look at the list and pick up a game or two that they don't have if they want to. Last year if you didn't have a PS3 you didn't really get any advice on what great games you may have missed.

ultron87

Omotesando said:

That fits me perfectly. Starcraft was #1, ME2 and Red Dead aren't on the list. (Hated ME2's story, and can't bring myself to finish Red Dead since the main character will just do anything anyone wants if they even hint at knowing some information/they complain enough. This makes me dislike him.)

Pyke Presco said:
This is a lie! Starcraft 2 is my number one and I think ME2 falls somewhere in my 8-10 range. RDR isn't on my list because I didn't enjoy it, but I still played it for a good 10 hours or so at a buddies place. I was interested in them, they just didn't execute very well in my opinion.

But this is a good thing! It won't be dominated by a single platform like we had last year (I think PS3 had a ton of the top 10). This year we are getting a much more diverse pool and people with all platforms will be able to look at the list and pick up a game or two that they don't have if they want to. Last year if you didn't have a PS3 you didn't really get any advice on what great games you may have missed.

9-10 range.....that is awesome...It is a general observation, offcourse it's not a law like gravity that their might exist a individual like yourself, where you put ME2 on 9 out of 10 and RDR out of the top 10.

ultron87 said:
That fits me perfectly. Starcraft was #1, ME2 and Red Dead aren't on the list. (Hated ME2's story, and can't bring myself to finish Red Dead since the main character will just do anything anyone wants if they even hint at knowing some information/they complain enough. This makes me dislike him.)

Fits me aswell. I never finnished RDR and only played a few hours of ME2 before I ditched both games and went back to online SC2. I think it is because I play games for the competativeness and challenge instead of 'teh experience through amazing dialogue and characters'. Eh.

Omotesando said:
9-10 range.....that is awesome...It is a general observation, offcourse it's not a law like gravity that their might exist a individual like yourself, where you put ME2 on 9 out of 10 and RDR out of the top 10.

Start of the year I would have said ME2 would be in my top 3, but it just didnt come through. I loved the first one, love Bioware's other work, but this one just didnt click. But saying that people who like starcraft wont like the other games is just silly. Ive seen lists with all three of those games in the top 5.

Omotesando said:
I didn't say anything that you imply in this post.
I must have misread you, I sensed sarcasm in that "9-10 range" statement, followed by the gravity comparison.

Pyke Presco said:
Start of the year I would have said ME2 would be in my top 3, but it just didnt come through. I loved the first one, love Bioware's other work, but this one just didnt click. But saying that people who like starcraft wont like the other games is just silly. Ive seen lists with all three of those games in the top 5.

I didn't say anything that you imply in this post.

Pyke Presco said:
Last year if you didn't have a PS3 you didn't really get any advice on what great games you may have missed.

Well, the advise was "get a PS3" :lol ;)

but yeah, this year it will be a race between RDR and ME2 (same as in the media?).

Also, I already predict GT5 and GoW3 will kinda get neglected even though they were some of the biggest games/franchises released in 2010.
On the upside, Heavy Rain might get a higher ranking than a certain vocal minority wants to see :lol

Felix Lighter said:
I'm an exception I guess, ME2, RDR and SC2 are my 1, 2 and 3.

That is because you find SC2 an awesome single player experience with amazing Jim Raynor Fuck yea charcters and extensive immersive worlds and amazing dialogue, also you like the love triangle between, Kerrigan, Raynor and Zeratul.

Omotesando said:
That is because you find SC2 an awesome single player experience with amazing Jim Raynor Fuck yea charcters and extensive immersive worlds and amazing dialogue, also you like the love triangle between, Kerrigan, Raynor and Zeratul.
SC2 had a single player? I thought "single player" meant comp-stomps...

I think I played my number 1 game all wrong...
I never even touched the campaign. RTS is all about the multiplayer!

Lard

Banned
1. 999 - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
2. Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - I'd really like to tie my top two, but I probably can't
3. Goldeneye 007
4. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
5. 3-D Dot Game Heroes - A
6. Kirby's Epic Yarn
7. Vanquish
8. Nier
9. Darksiders
10. Final Fantasy XIII

Honourable mentions

Good:
Glory Of Heracles - For actually getting one sequel of the game released in NA
Grand Theft Auto IV Complete - Kudos to Rockstar for putting this all on one disc
Lunar Silver Star Harmony - Nice to get a NON-Vic Ireland translation
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Sakura Wars - For actually getting one sequel of the game released in NA
Ys: The Oath in Felghana - Kudos to XSeed for bringing this series over finally

Bad:
No More Heroes 2 - Most disappointing sequel and game of 2010
Silent Hill - Shattered memories - for continuing to prove the rule about pointless remakes. Not scary and not needed
Valkyria Chronicles 2 - DLC on a handheld game? Fuck you Sega
Yakuza 3 - For getting butchered by Sega

1) Just Cause 2 - Pretty awesome on every level that matters to an open-world sandbox. Never played anything quite like it and I can't wait to see what they do next.
2) Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Obviously subjective, but the best shooter I've played in a long time.
3) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat - Can't get enough and the devs really hit their stride with this iteration. Another really unique experience.
4) Mount and Blade: Warband - Great example of a badass game as a result of a LOT of hard work from a very small team.
5) Red Dead Redemption - Killer execution.
6) Heavy Rain - I think it deserves recognition.
7) Metro 2033 - Gutsy design decisions throughout, really weird game.
8) Civilization 5 - Really great, despite the strange community.
9) Fallout: New Vegas - One of my fave devs doing what they do best: Taking another developer's RPG and showing them what they should've done.
10) Minecraft - Hard to ignore this thing. Curious to see where it goes.

Omotesando said:

It's like you're peering into my soul.

Actually, I didn't end up finishing the single player campaign, though I will eventually
Shamefully, I love it as a spectator sport more than anything. I enjoy playing it but I suck and the stress of 1v1 kills me.

Jakeh111

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. Sid Meier's Civilization V
5. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
6. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
7. Vanquish
8. Heavy Rain
9. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
10. Dead Rising 2

1. Vanquish: The gameplay is absolutely amazing. Throwing a grenade into a group of enemies and then going into slow motion to shoot the grenade before it even hits the ground is just one of the coolest things I've ever done in a video game. The hilarious story and over the top characters just added more to the game.

2. Trauma Team: I'm a big fan of the Trauma Center games so this was a no-brainer for me. But as good as the surgical stuff was, the highlight of the game was Gabe and Naomi's visual novel-esque sequences.

3. Super Mario Galaxy 2: More of the first one, but better.

4. Bayonetta: I wouldn't quite say that this the pinnacle of the action game genre, but it's definitely up there along with DMC3 and NG: Black. And Bayonetta herself was pretty awesome.

5. Deadly Premonition: Francis York Morgan is the greatest video game character ever. The strength of the story and the weird characters is enough to offset the terrible controls and clunky action sequences.

6. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: Right up there with Metal Gear Solid 3 as the best Metal Gear ever. Capturing troopers and re-doing missions to get higher scores is highly addictive.

7. Ys Seven: Fast gameplay and I loved the "parry" system.

8. Mass Effect 2: A great ride from start to finish. Ditching a lot of the old RPG systems of the first one was ultimately for the better.

9. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey: I played this game after FFXIII and this was the perfect antidote to that poison.

10. Deathsmiles: It's a Cave shooter. Of course it's amazing.

x. Etrian Odyssey 3: The Drowned City: I only voted for games that I actually finished and I'm not done with this yet. This most likely would've been in my top 3.

x. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies: Haven't finished, would've definitely been in my top 10.

Virro

1. Red Dead Redemption ; overstayed its welcome for me by about 4-5 hours, mostly spent in Mexico, but overall one of the the best single-player experiences and cast of characters I've seen in a while.
2. Costume Quest ; cute, clever, concise. This game embodies where I hope the digital download space is headed in the future.
3. Battlefield Bad Company 2 ; this is where I spent the most hours in multiplayer this year. Pretty awful single-player, and no real reason to progress beyond level 25 or so depending on your unlocks.
4. Nier ; didn't live up to GAF hype, but definitely glad I picked it up. A few standouts on the soundtrack and variability of gameplay made this an enjoyable experience.
5. X-Men Arcade Classic ; some of the most fun I've had all year playing with other people on the couch... makes me miss the old arcade days.

1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; Amnesia fucked me up like no other movie, book, or game ever has. I had nightmares for days after completing it. The game-mechanics are just so deviously effective: You have to stay in the dark to avoid detection, but if you stay for too long Daniel will become insane and monsters will eat your face. Most fucked up of all is the fact that you can't look at an enemy. Getting jumped from behind while cowering in a corner looking at a wall is the most terrifying thing ever. And when you try to escape, turn around and notice that the atrocity is right in your fucking face is when the screaming starts. Relentless and amazing.
2. Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse ; I think a big part of my love for this stems from the episodic format. After getting home from work the best thing in the world was to discover that a new S&M-episode had been released. Telltales best work so far and a treat to unwind to.
3. Puzzle Agent ; Loved the mood, setting and humor. Puzzles were kindof hit or miss, some of the puzzle descriptions vague as hell, but the writing and atmosphere makes up for it. Please make another one Telltale.
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Not much to say about this. It's Mario.
5. Super Street Fighter 4 ; Constitutes all that's left of my "social" gaming these days. Ultimate preparty game for us who prefer not to act a fool.
6. Donkey Kong Returns; Was kind of down on this initially but it has grown on me. (i.e I discovered time-trial) It probably would've been higher up if it weren't for the retarded decision not to automatically restart the timer when you die. Instead you have to manually select restart and sit through an unnecesseary load-screen which really fucks up the flow. It may seem like nit-picking to some but it gets exponentially more annoying every time I fuck up.
7. Limbo

I'm from Australia (PAL), but I imported Kirby's Epic Yarn and Okamiden from Japan.

1. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Where do I even begin? I have been hyped for this game since I was 14 years old, but never got a chance to play it until now, ten years after the fact, in remade form.

Is this the perfect Pokemon game? Well, no, not really. There were a few quibbles that marred the experience somewhat (lack of support for modern WiFi encription schemes like WPA and the esoteric bullshit you had to do in the Safari Zone come to mind), but the feeling it gave me while playing was something else.

I felt like a kid again, encountering "new" Pokemon for the first time, exploring Johto, seeing how Kanto had changed in my absense and using these unfamiliar 'mons in conjunction with my old favourites. I got seriously into breeding and IV/EV trained a Bronzong some kind GAFer had traded me. This game had me hooked for the better part of five months.

2. Kirby's Epic Yarn ; (Import - I'm from Australia) Beautiful, simply beautiful. Yes, it's easy if you just want to beat the level, but searching the environment for bits of furniture, collecting all the beads you can and stringing bosses along so you can collect enough beads to gain access to the "secret" levels is a lot of fun.

One of the best parts of the game, apart from the visual style, is the music. You can pop this baby in and just feel your cares and worries melt away. On some of the levels it's relaxing and jazzy, on others, it's epic and inspiring, others still, it's so chirpy that you can't help but smile. Incredible game.

3. Okamiden ; (Import - I'm from Australia) It's an Okami sequel on the DS. Need I say more? Now, I haven't played the Wii version, but being able to simply use brush techniques on the fly without even thinking about it rather than having to wrestle with the analog sticks on the PS2 was a dream come true.

The game isn't quite as epic as the original, a lot of areas from the first game are artlessly blocked off and occasionally the story makes no damn sense (I don't speak Japanese, so working out what's going on in the cutscenes is something of a challenge, as are some of the missions you're given). The cutscenes also feel excruciatingly long since I can't read all the exposition they're trying to cram into them. Having said that, it retains the magic, feel, fast combat and brushplay of the original.

4. Super Meat Boy ; Incredibly addictive game. It's super difficult, yes, but the way you start over again instantly the second you die makes up for it in a big way. Infinite lives and instant respawn go a long way toward alleviating frustration. The only issue I have with the game is that of control - I like my platform game characters to stop and turn on a dime whereas Meat Boy handles like a puppy on buffed linoleum. There's a little too much momentum there and I'm using a keyboard, so it's hard to do some things with any kind of finesse.

5. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ; The first in what is now a line of spinoffs of the mainline AA series, this game has a lot to offer - witty writing, charming characters, clever puzzles, nostalgia-inducing cameos and hilarious animations. Somehow though, it misses something crucial from the mainline series - tension.

Unfortunately, without the classic AA courtroom scenes (or some analog of them), this game can really only be classified as "good" rather than "great". At no point were the characters in any danger, which meant that the resolution of various cases didn't quite feel as satisfying as they used to.

6. Darksiders ; It's a Zelda-like mashup with God of War. This is a good game that, while not pushing any boundaries, manages to retain its own feel. At no point did I see War as Link on steroids or Kratos in armour.

This game is a little rough around the edges, especially when it comes to padding out gameplay (throwing horde after horde of enemies at you, for instance), but it's a lot of fun searching the environment for treasure and upgrading your abilities with Vulgrim.

7. Fruit Ninja ; It's a fun, quirky title that you can play while waiting for the bus or for your girlfriend to come out of the bathroom. It's pretty simple, so I won't say too much about it, but there's something so very satisfying about slicing up a pineapple and hearing the squelch as the juices spill out.

8. Angry Birds ; This game is so hilarious. Catapaulting exploding birds at structures seemingly made from dominoes, seeing them topple and marvelling in their mutual destruction is a joy that only a 3-year old knocking down a lego house can feel.

Visualante said:
Is there some way to work out GAF's games of the decade from all the past lists?

I think 2004 was the first of this kind of threads (maybe there were earlier ones but the games were not really voted/counted?).
Edit: well I only base that on the years linked in last year's thread.

Stantron

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. Super Street Fighter 4
4. Halo: Reach
5. God of War 3
6. BioShock 2
7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
8. Alan Wake
9. Carcassonne
10. Dance Central

Have not played yet....
Mass Effect 2
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Santiako

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Halo: Reach
4. Fable 3
5. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
6. Nier
7. BioShock 2
8. Alan Wake
9. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
10. Minecraft

x.Hydro Thunder Hurricane
x.Limbo
x.Monday Night Combat
x.Super Meat Boy

The_Dude

1. Bayonetta ; Even with an uninteresting story and characters, this is easily my favorite game of the year and one of the best games I've ever played.
2. God of War 3 ; A somewhat disappointing story and lame finale, but the gameplay I always loved was still as good as ever.
3. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands ; A much needed and extremely enjoyable return to form after the last one.
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Very minor motion control annoyances aside, I loved every minute of it.
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; More of the same, but that is no problem when it is this damn good! And Yoshi!
6. BioShock 2 ; See Mario Galaxy 2 comment! Some say it was unnecessary but I loved going back to Rapture.
7. Red Dead Redemption; Sagged a bit in the middle, but the missions were great and the atmosphere was unmatched.
8. Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor ; I find rail shooters very hit-and-miss, but this was just brilliant.
9. Alpha Protocol ; A flawed masterpiece. I hope Obsidian get a second chance with this franchise.
10. Vanquish ; Didn't grab me as much as I expected, but the boost mechanic is amazingly fun to use. Sequel, please?

Also have to give an honorable mention to Heavy Rain. I thought it was a great game but I have to admit that it unfortunately ended up leaving me feeling so depressed that I had to stop playing it. Maybe I'll give another go in the future.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War 2 - Chaos Rising
3. Alpha Protocol
4. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
5. Just Cause 2
6. VVVVVV

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm still working on my list, but can someone explain Amnesia: The Dark Descent to me?
How do I know nothing about this game, but suddenly see it everywhere?

Indie. PC only. High quality.

Scariest in-game horror ever created. Ever.

Made by who? What genre? Hows it play? Where do I get?

Save me a google search here! Haha
Haven't played much PC games (I really only have SC2 and Torchlight), though if it's such a good horror title as It seems here, I'm not opposed to trying it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
John Harker said:
I'm still working on my list, but can someone explain Amnesia: The Dark Descent to me?
How do I know nothing about this game, but suddenly see it everywhere?
Indie. PC only. High quality.

Scariest in-game horror ever created. Ever.

John Harker

This year was so hard!
Last year I had clear 1-2-3s, this year was really tough to pick 10 and find a decent enough order from them... especially when you play every platform. Thank you 2010!

GOTYs:

1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; I'm not 100% convinced this game should be at the top of my list, but it impressed me in so many ways (art style, graphics, some of the cast, some of the level design, the ending) since I wasnt expecting it, that it left a positive impression and I WANT to buy the DLC for it. So that's saying a lot
2. Mass Effect 2 ; The cast in this game was great, and while I was as disappointed in the lack of RPG elements as the next guy, the game is still so compelling that you can't help but me impressed and enjoy yourself.
3. Heavy Rain ; So different, so engrossing. There were moments were I simply had to put the control down and stare, struck by the decision I was just forced to make. Simple as the gameplay may be, it made me FEEL, so welcome to the top 3
4. Alan Wake ; I had fun. Good graphics, simple but effective combat, solid writing and acting... just a fun game overall
5. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ; This can't surprise anyone. I shill for this serious. Some aspects were better than NMH1, some were not. Doesn't matter really, the combat in this game is fantastic, and the character of Travis was a) still awesome and b) actually showed character development, and who really saw that coming?
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; beautiful, challenging, frustrating, local co-op... I couldn't have asked for more
7. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; The single player was disappointing (hell, I still haven't finished it), but I bought a new PC for it and played tons of multiplayer so I can't deny I had lots of fun with it
8. Metroid: Other M ; Fun combat, pretty art, solid graphics, old school gameplay design... overall a solid title, and glad Nintendo took some risks with it
9. BioShock 2 ; decent, no where near as good as the first. It's on the list because it's solid where it counts, and "not being as good as the first" as being the main negative probably is saying something positive in itself, so...
10. Final Fantasy 13 ; Disappointing, but it's Final Fantasy and I beat it, so you get a lucky pass. It was gorgeous and had interesting character development (that totally fell apart at the end in my mind), but I got through it, which I can't say for most games this year, so

3 PS3, 3 Xbox, 3 Wii, 1 PC. Funny. Didn't plan that.
(Didn't play a lot of handheld this year I suppose, 2 in the Notables though)

Notables:

X. Dead Rising 2
X. Fable 3 ; I kind of liked being King, but there was more I was disappointed with then impressed with this year :(
X. Halo: Reach ; My favorite Halo, but Halo was never a top tier franchise for me anyway
X. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; super impressive for a handheld game, would probably have made the top 10 if I had managed to complete it
X. Red Steel 2 ; Really enjoyed this one, again one I didn't put in top 10 since I haven't completed it yet. I'd like to though. It's SUPER underrated, it's beautiful and plays fantastically
X. Dance Central ; probably party game of the year
X. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ; so unique, refreshing
X. NBA Jam Wii ; PERFECT REVIVAL, best local co op I've played in years

John Harker

Why no love for NMH2 this year? Came out too long ago?

It has a higher metacritic professional and user reviews than the first one.
I know most people here didn't like it as much as the first, but I barely see it even at the bottom of people's lists.

I guess it just bombed :(
What a shame.

Boney

Banned
John Harker said:
Why no love for NMH2 this year? Came out too long ago?

It has a higher metacritic professional and user reviews than the first one.
I know most people here didn't like it as much as the first, but I barely see it even at the bottom of people's lists.

I guess it just bombed :(
What a shame.
Doesn't deserve a spot in my list.

aaaaaa

1. Picross 3D
2. Specter Spelunker Shrinks
3. Art Style: Light Trax
4. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
5. Nier
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
8. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
9. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
10. VVVVVV
x. Puzzle Quest 2
x. Robot Unicorn Attack

games not in the nominations list in italics

1. God of War 3
2. Persona 3 Portable
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Heavy Rain
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
8. Assassin's Creed 2
9. Game Dev Story
10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

I judge my games based on how strongly I feel about the game, game that give me long lasting impression that I will remember for years to come, and this year, GoW3 impress me the most. sure some people don't really appreciate short linear set pieces game like God of War and more inclined to open world game with more depth to it, but in term of experience, I can honestly say God of War 3 is the best experience I had from gaming all year.

not saying I don't appreciate open world game like Red Dead or rpg like Mass Effect and Persona. I love persona. it's probably the only rpg I've played twice, combined gameplay is probably close to or more than 100 hours. it's truly something special.

Heavy Rain and Red Dead would have been higher if not because of Heavy Rain's flawed plot, and Red Dead framerate that's never up to my liking just like all other rockstar games. maybe if there's a pc version and I played it on pc it would give me better experience.

I'm sad to find out that Peace Walker is nowhere near the top 5 of my list though. I love the gameplay, but really miss the cinematic presentation, engaging story, and the emotional moments. bosses are basically mechs and soldiers. really take the experience away from what I like from MGS.

Naruto got a mention because I'm a big Naruto fan, and the presentation on this is so good. I'm not afraid to admit I almost shed some tears during certain scene. it always gets me, just like the manga and anime.

elfinke

This list was ridiculously hard work :lol. Until late last year, I was manager of a video game retail store here in Australia, and so played damn near every game that came out. Trying to remember what I really liked from what I liked from what I didn't like proved to be quiet an exercise!

1. Monday Night Combat; You suck at online gaming if you don't own it on either Steam or 360. A stunning effort from a small developer. One of my most played games of the year, and probably my most played MP game of the year. Brilliantly balanced (even with 1 or 2 dud maps), wonderful humour coupled with the reasonably sublime 360 platform and free DLC (soon to be super dooper on PC) just made for a glorious time in gaming. Originally going to be in my top 2 or 3, but not number 1. However, after agonising over this list for the 2 afternoons sessions of the SCG test, I gave up thinking of a game I enjoyed more in 2010, and so it moves into the number 1 spot by default!

2. MAG; Unless it is Team Fortress 2, I don't play online shooters anymore. But this year, not only did I play a few, I played 2 of the very best. God I loved this game. It's going strong now, and is a very different beast to how it launched. Still well worth your time in 2011, as long as you play for SVER :)

3. Heavy Rain; I fucking loved every damn minute of this game, at points putting the controller down while I thought about my next decision. It may be divisive as a game, but as an experience it was unquestionably splendid. My partner loved it too, so it gets brownie points for that!

4. Football Manager Handheld 2011 iPhone edition ; my 2 seperate save games set in 2021 (Melbourne Victory) and 2032 (Tamworth) say more than my paragraph ever could. Like the fabled days of Championship Manager 01/02, but on my fucking phone! Lining up to pay for fuel, bread and milk? Hey, I have time to send out my team of 16-21yr old youthful regens and newgens in a 4-3-3 against Barcelona if at home, or 4-4-1-1 if away. Deep lying target man with a poacher running off the shoulder and ball winning midfielders playing nice and narrow with quick short passing. 60% possession, 12 shots on goal and a 3-0 scoreline all in the time it takes to pay at the register?! Life is pretty good :D (or conversely, win all the stats but lose 1-0 to a 30 yard speculator from some dude who is scoring his 'first goal for the season' in the 32nd game of the season grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrarawrdshfnscb).

5. Alan Wake; The combat was occasionally rubbish, but the overall experience was sublime. Plus, it had a Roy Orbison song in it!

6. Red Dead Redemption; Oh what a game! What a conundrum it was finding the spot in the top 10 for it. It was the container for my favourite moment of gaming 2010 - goddamn amazing and astonishing 3 or 4 minutes (shame the rest of Mexico wasn't). Like Heavy Rain above, I put the controller down for fear of ruining the moment. Other things, like the in-game cinema, the lighting (bloom effect when leaving a rest house peering into the sun, so incredible. Unrivaled in gaming) and some of the characters were all tiers of GOTYness above others in this list, and yet, I think RDR should live here in my list. Comment on the ending -
partly to do with RDR breaking what I consider a golden rule in gaming - killing your character in a cut scene. By all means, kill my character off meaningfully (see: Heavy Rain), but don't make me bust my arse for all these random fuck wits over the course of 20 or 30 hours, dodge bullets like motherfucking Neo from The Matrix, only then to die in one of the most cop out and obvious endings seen in some time.

7. Game Dev Story; Bought on a whim before departing for a Metallica concert (which was a 6 hour drive away). Played it non stop for those 6 hours, then spent every spare waking moment playing it for the remainder of that weekend. Even considered walking halfway through the rather appalling concert to go play some in the lobby. Even now, amongst a new Demon's Souls addiction (thanks GAF!) I find time to bust out a new 40/40/40/39 (curse that 4th reviewer /shakes fist) best seller based on 'ponchos' and 'action' lol.

8. Fable 3; Screw the haters, this was a fun game. Albion is such a nice place to spend time, even if your time there is disjointed and a little hackneyed.

9. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011; The king is so very nearly back, baby :D FIFA best look out next year! (Also, 2 football games in my top 10!? 2010 really was a good/bad year!)

10. Mass Effect 2; While it did suffer a bit from '2 steps forward, 1 step back' syndrome, I still loved the time I spent wandering around the universe (except for goddamn fucking planet scanning!?! What fucking Q&A team is testing that and saying to the devs - 'that's gold Jerry, gold!'?). The combat was improved, but was all to often crammed into contrived corridor shooting. Many of the characters and their back stories were awful, and yet, I played it all the way through gleefully. Twice. Female Shep > Male Shep.
Very surprised to see this so high in so many lists. It only just made it into mine.

x. Demon's Souls; It is surely the game of the generation/forever (so far), but I've been playing it since last year, and it felt like a cop out to include it in the GOTY 2010 awards, even if it only received it's 'real' release in Australia this year.

x. Sin and Punishment 2; I didn't know I loved bullet hell schmups until 2010 came around. Sure, I'd played some over the years, but they were different. This year the iPhone versions of ESPGaluda and Dodopachi, as well as the absolutely marvelous S&P2 on the Wii rekindled (or maybe alighted) something deep within!

x. Super Street Fighter IV; Fun distilled into a handful of button presses. I even made an arcade stick for it!

x. Formula 1 2010; Racing game of the year (this despite my love of GT5 - I just haven't the time for GT, whereas F1 I couldn't put down from the moment it came it out)

x. God Of War 3; Almost worth having in the top 10 due to 1 or 2 of its set pieces. However, the overall package was too frustrating to have a lasting impression here in 2011.

Addendum for discussion: I played a shitton of excellent iPhone games this year and they took up a very, very large portion of my actual waking hours (SCHMUPS, GDS, FMHi2010/2011, Dungeon Hunter 2, Words with Friends, Space Miner, Warpgate and so on and on), that I feel bad for only having one in my top ten list :(

1. Mass Effect 2
2. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Limbo
5. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
6. Just Cause 2
7. Halo: Reach
8. Alan Wake
9. BioShock 2
10. Fable III

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. MLB 10: The Show
4. God of War III
5. Just Cause 2
6. Dante's Inferno
7. NBA 2K11
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Heavy Rain
10. MAG

x- Deadly Premonition
x- Bayonetta
x- Limbo
x- Dead Nation

tafer

I guess I'll post only those games that I actually finished and deserved to be on a top 10:

1. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift ; Pretty much everything was refined, even the story mode was fantastic!.
2. God of War 3 ; at times amazing, at times boring, doesn't deserve a second place, but I wasted the entire year playing BB:CS and trying -in vane- to reduce my backlog.

Other games that I actually finished and enjoyed, but don't deserve to be on a top 10:

x. Hitogata Happa ; Awful graphics, terrible music, counter-intuitive, stupidly hard and even then ridiculously addictive if you ever "get" the game.

This one and the other games of the collection (Gundemonium Recollection and GundeadliGne) should be on the list.

QUESTION: Does PS3's Castle Crashers count? It was released this year and as far as I know it is an updated version of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom