• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Long

Banned
EviLore said:
I'm hesitant to write up a list for this thread, yeah, since there are a lot of games I waited for the steam holiday sale to pick up. My lists right now and six months from now will look vastly different.
Yeah, I just went with what I've played this past year and had to ignore a lot of games that would probably be top ten if I'd had time to play them.

It really makes me wonder about even the major gaming outlets. How do you come up with game of the year voting, even if you're a journo who does this all year long, and manage to play everything relevant?

The reality is you can't do that and some games that are more than deserving are going to get the shaft, which is silly because up until about March, you'd have plenty of time to continue playing the 2010 titles to really suss out what's great and what isn't.

When I would send in my picks for Computer Games Strategy Plus/Computer Games Magazine, I was focused on that PC platform all year long so it was pretty easy to play everything really important in a year and a ton of stuff that was off the beaten path too (that thanks to what I reviewed and previewed in the mag as well as me just searching stuff out). Nowadays, with like six relevant platforms and no mags/sites being platform specific anymore for the most part? I just don't see how their lists mean all that much.

Heck, just watching what the GAF voting has been like compared to Qt3, where Mass Effect 2 was number one and Fallout:New Vegas number two by a fairly wide margin, shows me how disparate the choices for GOTY will be this year. They do things differently there (postcount/longevity means a lot so my vote for Minecraft sent it from like number 6 to number 3), but the reality is that a LOT of people loved Mass Effect 2 above all over there, not just as a top ten title and I'm not seeing quite the same reaction from GAF, unsurprisingly so.

Anyway, I look forward to a revisit later in 2011 to see where people are at that time. I didn't even get to Bayonetta, Darksiders, Resonance of Fate, Lost Planet 2, Alpha Protocol, Lara Croft, Pokemon HG/SS and a bunch more that people probably would consider for their top ten and some even have at number one. I own them now, but still need to play them.

As an aside, I'm basically not going to buy anything this year in order to start catching up. Sending good money after bad for games I haven't got time for is just silly.

ultron87

Will ultron87 play enough of Nier or Vanquish in the next three days to consider adding them to his GOTY list? Find out tonight when he sits on his couch and is bored.

Alx

1. Bayonetta ; Still the best experience I had in 2010. Loved the gameplay, the crazy tone, the character, the replay value, ... Great, great game.
2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; I finally started playing the game, so I guess it counts. My real vote would go to Assassin's Creed 2 because I played it in 2010 and was completely amazed by everything it does. But AC2 is 2009, and Brotherhood is better in many ways except for the surprise value. So it seems fair to put it here.
3. Kinect Sports ; I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. Perfect showcase of the tech, very fun, and some of the sports are a real new experience.
4. Dead Rising 2 ; A good sequel of the first one. Didn't finish it, though.
5. Dead Rising 2: Case Zero ; Nice introduction to DR2. And cheap, too.

IoCaster

I understand that the purpose here is to get what would generally be considered a plurality winner. I personally would prefer that everyone get a single choice for their GoTY and let them make the hard decision. That's essentially what I eventually ended up doing. I had many problems with ME2, but when decision time came about it wasn't a difficult choice for me. It was the game that I had the most fun playing and 10+ complete runs brought it into sharp focus.

It might be interesting to run a thread with just a single #1 choice alloted for GoTY. Then have a runoff to narrow the field. Continue doing this until a majority winner is established. Let the chips fall where they may, ya know.

FStop7

Banned
When is voting closed and when are the results announced? Just curious and anxious to see how this shakes out, after reading almost all 27 pages I think this is a pretty thoughtful and thorough cross section of gaming tastes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IoCaster said:
I understand that the purpose here is to get what would generally be considered a plurality winner. I personally would prefer that everyone get a single choice for their GoTY and let them make the hard decision. That's essentially what I eventually ended up doing. I had many problems with ME2, but when decision time came about it wasn't a difficult choice for me. It was the game I had the most fun playing and 10+ complete runs brought it into sharp focus.

It might be interesting to run a thread with just a single #1 choice alloted for GoTY. Then have a runoff to narrow the field. Continue doing this until a majority winner is established. Let the chips fall where they may, ya know.

I think those stats are generally made available in the results thread, but in general the reason why people get more than one choice is to make sure that niche games whose fans adore them don't overrun more widely popular games that aren't quite #1 for most people.

Dave Long

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I think those stats are generally made available in the results thread, but in general the reason why people get more than one choice is to make sure that niche games whose fans adore them don't overrun more widely popular games that aren't quite #1 for most people.
The top tens definitely generate more interest in the entire thread, too IMO. At the same time they limit posts from people wigging out because popular game X isn't everyone's number one choice. Those folks look at people's tens and see that their favorite is on there (maybe not at number one) and are satisfied and refrain from comment.

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
6. Darksiders
7. Civilization 5
8. Just Cause 2
9. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
10. Final Fantasy 13

babenhausen

Neo Member
1. Super Street Fighter 4
2. Demon's Souls
3. Espgaluda 2: Black Label
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Dragon Quest IX
6. Final Fantasy 13
7. Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition
8. Bayonetta
9. Picross 3D
10. Civilization V

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EviLore said:
Stump, haven't played New Vegas yet I take it?

I promised myself I wouldn't include any games I haven't finished and although I've put 15-20 hours in FNV I haven't finished it. Based on what I've played so far, it'd make the list. I think I actually like it better than Fallout 3.

IoCaster

Stumpokapow said:

But I like wars of attrition. :(

Seriously though it would ensure that people really buckle down and make the hard choice. If their preferred game falls by the wayside then they can choose to sit it out or vote for a game that was further down their personal list but still had merit. *shrug*

EDIT: I wanted to make clear that regardless of any games position in the results tally, it's still likely to be a simple plurality win. What I'm talking about is going one or more steps further and getting a majority vote winner for GoTY.

Haunted

shintoki said:
What you are asking is trying pick out a virgin at an anime convention. But to play along, which one? :lol
I was talking overall GOTY, not a specific one.

DSC_2423.JPG

Fucking terrible. Shouldn't be near overall GOTY. The other overall GOTYs since I've been here have all been... agreeable, at the very least.

2004: MGS3
2005: RE4
2006: Twilight Princess
2007: Mario Galaxy
2008: MGS4 *spit*
2009: Uncharted
2010:
ME2/RDR

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Stumpokapow said:
I promised myself I wouldn't include any games I haven't finished and although I've put 15-20 hours in FNV I haven't finished it. Based on what I've played so far, it'd make the list. I think I actually like it better than Fallout 3.

Yeah, I put 30 hours in and then took a break until a couple days ago. I had reached the point where I needed to start making some serious game-shaping decisions, and just couldn't decide at the time.

Upon coming back to it and making those decisions, I'm in love with it all over again. Now with 40 hours played I still have dozens of incomplete quests and undiscovered locations. It could easily go on for another 30-40 hours to take care of the side content, and that would still leave the different branching outcomes to explore in subsequent playthroughs. Scary.

IoCaster said:
But I like wars of attrition. :(

Seriously though it would ensure that people really buckle down and make the hard choice. If their preferred game falls by the wayside then they can choose to sit it out or vote for a game that was further down their personal list but still had merit. *shrug*

Last year, with the points system (and a very small allocation), it forced people to narrow down their list quite a bit, and make very tough choices about what games made the list and what didn't. Some people liked it, others didn't. Many here want to list a lot of games and talk about a lot of them. As you can see from the extensive "honorable mentions" lists... there are people that played 30+ games and want to mention at least half of them.

Especially for GAF, it doesn't make sense to me to limit it to one game. The point of these threads is as much about the discussion and wide-ranging interest of all of GAF as opposed to figuring out which AAA game was bought by the most members.

FStop7 said:
When is voting closed and when are the results announced? Just curious and anxious to see how this shakes out, after reading almost all 27 pages I think this is a pretty thoughtful and thorough cross section of gaming tastes.

You have until the 9th at midnight AM (so the 8th is the last full day of voting). The results will be posted soon afterward.

Cheech

EviLore said:
It could easily go on for another 30-40 hours to take care of the side content, and that would still leave the different branching outcomes to explore in subsequent playthroughs. Scary.

How you engage each faction and how the designers tied it to the ending is very satisfying. I liked the game more than Fallout 3 mostly due to this.

IoCaster

timetokill said:
Last year, with the points system (and a very small allocation), it forced people to narrow down their list quite a bit, and make very tough choices about what games made the list and what didn't. Some people liked it, others didn't. Many here want to list a lot of games and talk about a lot of them. As you can see from the extensive "honorable mentions" lists... there are people that played 30+ games and want to mention at least half of them.

Especially for GAF, it doesn't make sense to me to limit it to one game. The point of these threads is as much about the discussion and wide-ranging interest of all of GAF as opposed to figuring out which AAA game was bought by the most members.

There are a multitude of |OT| for most games and no shortage of topics to discuss individual games on this forum. I still think it would be interesting to run a companion thread to determine the consensus majority vote getter for GoTY. It's not a big deal to me by any stretch so I'll drop this idea and gracefully exit --> that way.

Mar

IoCaster said:
There are a multitude of |OT| for most games and no shortage of topics to discuss individual games on this forum. I still think it would be interesting to run a companion thread to determine the consensus majority vote getter for GoTY. It's not a big deal to me by any stretch so I'll drop this idea and gracefully exit --> that way.

In theory it's an interesting idea but in practice it wouldn't work. It would make for a very boring thread and one which a lot of people just wouldn't bother taking part in. 99% of posts would consist of ME2 and Red Dead, and the overwhelming support behind those would mean most people wouldn't bother mentioning their less popular game, as there'd be no point.

Personally, I have to see a top 10. Usually the first few slots of someone's goats are taken up by the big budget releases and it's only further down their list you get any idea of what sort of gamer they are.

Presco

EviLore said:
Yeah, I put 30 hours in and then took a break until a couple days ago. I had reached the point where I needed to start making some serious game-shaping decisions, and just couldn't decide at the time.

Upon coming back to it and making those decisions, I'm in love with it all over again. Now with 40 hours played I still have dozens of incomplete quests and undiscovered locations. It could easily go on for another 30-40 hours to take care of the side content, and that would still leave the different branching outcomes to explore in subsequent playthroughs. Scary.

The game-shaping decision point is about exactly where I took a break (plus Boone went and killed him so dudes I didn't want him to, thereby critically altering one such decision). Your post has inspired me to head back into the wasteland after my month-plus hiatus. Looking forward to it.

berva

Neo Member
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Alan Wake
4. God of War III
5. Darksiders
6. Mafia II
7. Heavy Rain
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
10. Halo: Reach

1. Starcraft 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Bayonetta
4. Angry Birds
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. God of War 3
7. Final Fantasy 13
8. Assasins Creed Brotherhood
9. Call of Duty Black Opps
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn

AniHawk

Haunted said:
I was talking overall GOTY, not a specific one.

DSC_2423.JPG

Fucking terrible. Shouldn't be near overall GOTY. The other overall GOTYs since I've been here have all been... agreeable, at the very least.

Yeah but the PS3 fanbase really needed a win, so I added about 3000 points at the end there.

_Isaac

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Meat Boy
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Worms: Reloaded

Firestorm

Well, with the process being somewhat automated now, we could always do a "Second Opinion GOTY" in June or even the next December.

Salsa

I wanna do this, but i cant get myself to write the reasons, im feeling lazy, even though i want to as i hate posts without explanations behind them.

How much time do i have left ?

Boney

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I wanna do this, but i cant get myself to write the reasons, im feeling lazy, even though i want to as i hate posts without explanations behind them.

How much time do i have left ?
3 days I think.

As long as Other M is in your list we cool.

I had to change my number 10 to Game Dev Story. I wanted something mobile in the list but the best thing I had played until a few weeks ago was Angry Birds, now it's GDS with a bullet.

C4Lukins

I wish I had a chance to play more games this year.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Heavy Rain
4. Limbo
5. Darksiders
6. Monday Night Combat
7. Alan Wake
8. Super Meat Boy
9. Halo: Reach
10. Kinect Sports

Yoshiya

1. Nier - Not a logical GOTY, but I feel like what I liked about it I liked so much I want to place it as #1. So there it is.
2. Bayonetta
3. Resonance of Fate
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. VVVVVV
6. Chaos Rings
7. Game Dev Story
8. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
9. Infinity Blade

A lot of the games I played this year were from 2009 and 2008, so I actually had trouble compiling a purely 2010 list. All of the games on there I feel deserve some sort of acknowledgement, so I'm fairly happy with it.

1. Vanquish ; Simply put, this is the best TPS ever created. Flawless controls, excellent level design, a wide variety of enemies and unique encounters, high speed, and high difficulty make this one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played this generation. It’s not without its flaws, but they are so minor that they do not affect my opinion of the game in anyway.

2. Super Street Fighter 4 ; Not much to say about this one. Capcom took the already-excellent SF4 and made it that much better. A superbly balanced game with a huge roster of fighters. The one blemish on this series is the completely unnecessary requirement of having to link the final move of a chain in order to cancel it, but between playing for hundreds of hours and plinking, you’ll get used to it.

3. Bayonetta ; Platinum’s other masterpiece. I use that word lightly, since there are a ton of little annoyances about this game that stop me from placing it higher. That aside, the combat is superb, the enemy design is masterful, it’s packed to the brim with content and unlockables, and the aesthetics are very unique and memorable. All it would take is a minor revision, a “Bayonetta: Black,” and this would quite easily be one of the best games of all time. Until then, it’s just excellent.

4. Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra ; I love everything about this game. The bullet patterns are creative and unique, the stage design is flawless, the soundtrack is excellent, and the art and theme fit the mood of the game perfectly. But better than all of that is the scoring system. It’s (somewhat) simple, intuitive, and most importantly, fun. It’s hard to say for sure, but this is probably my favorite Cave game.

5. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift ; The chocolate to Street Fighter’s vanilla. I guess. I suck at analogies. Anyway, much like SSF4, ArcSys fixed what sucked about Calamity Trigger and improved the game in every way. The fast-paced, deep gameplay, great graphics and music, and a sizable roster of VERY unique characters make this game an absolute blast to play. And hell, even the story mode is highly entertaining!

6. Deathsmiles ; I was very surprised by how much I liked this game. Everything about it is just extremely well done. One thing that I really liked about this game was how much freedom you’re given. I love the ability to choose which stages you will play in what order, and even how difficult each stage will be before you play it. Not to mention the game comes with a nice variety in modes, from the original game to Mega Black Label, to MBL 1.1. And in typical Cave fashion, the bullet patterns are excellent as is the stage design. And much like Ketsui, this game features an excellent scoring system that is always fun to try and exploit.

7. Halo: Reach ; After being kinda down on the series since Halo 2 came out, I wasn’t expecting too much out of this. But Bungie really knocked it out of the park. The campaign, for the most part, is very well designed with lots of interesting encounters that you can approach in multiple ways, with lots of weapons and enemies to keep things interesting. The multiplayer is the real meat of the game though, and this is where Bungie really kicked it up a notch. Replacing the horrible Battle Rifle is the DMR, and really, that alone makes this game much better than its predecessors. On the other hand, I truly hate all of the armor power ups. Jetpacks, armor lock, camo, and even the stupid dummies just completely ruin the game if they’re left as starting abilities. So to avoid that crap, I played Team Arena and Team Doubles with my friends for weeks until Bungie decided to remove Slayer Pro and force their power ups down my throat. I haven’t played it much (or at all) since then, but the game was absolutely excellent while it lasted. I realize they've fixed this issue by now, but in the time it took them to do that, I completely lost interest in the game.

8. Crimzon Clover ; This is the surprise of the year for me. Without a doubt, this is the absolute best indie game ever created. The gameplay system is a little different here, since you have a homing laser you can use in conjunction with your standard shot, and you have a meter that acts as your bombs and hyper drive, but everything works together very, very well. And again (I know I’m sounding repetitive here), the bullet patterns and stage design are very well done, with a large variety of enemies and many interesting setups for you to deal with. There’s never a dull moment in this game. And on top of that, the art and graphics are very well done, and it looks much better than many commercial shooting games. And once again, the scoring system is fantastic and extremely fun to play with. Entering break mode with a high multiplier, soaking up gold stars and tons of points, then entering DOUBLE break mode and annihilating everything you see is pure fun. And if that wasn’t enough, the game is complete with three different difficulty modes catering to all skill levels, three different ships to play as, and even a shop to unlock a bunch of crap in! Truly a fantastic game.

9. Nier ; Another very surprising game for me. I wasn’t expecting much out of this, but once I finally decided to buy it and play through it, I found it to be one of the most fun and interesting games of the year. First thing’s first: the combat in this, while fun, is quite simple and not particularly great. With that out of the way, the game excels in other areas. The characters and story, for starters, are without a doubt some of the best I’ve seen in a videogame in quite a few years. The soundtrack is absolutely excellent and hands-down one of the best this generation. And the mash-up of different genres is very well done, going from action-RPG, to text adventure, to 2D side scrolling, to bullet hell, to an isometric dungeon, and there’s even some blatant nods to classic Resident Evil and Zelda. I enjoyed the game enough to happily get the 1000/1000 on it, even if it was a bit of a chore. Nier's just such a unique game and one of the most enjoyable RPGs I’ve played in years. It's simply a breath of fresh air.

10. Super Meat Boy ; Not much to say about this one. The game has perfect controls, tons of characters to play as, and tons of levels, almost all of which are expertly designed. The music is great, the art is charming, and the homages and spoofs of older, classic games are appreciated. It shows they’ve got their heads in the right place. This is the best platformer in well over a decade; I loved the game enough to get 100% on it and I would gladly do it again.

And my honorable mentions (I’ll try to keep this brief):

x. Resonance of Fate ; tri-Ace’s best game. Such a fun, unique battle system that more than makes up for the rest of this game’s shortcomings. And tinkering with custom gun setups until you’ve made a perfect Frankenstein monstrosity of a weapon is probably more fun than it should be. And I like playing girlie dress-up games with Leanne.

x. Deathsmiles 2 X ; An interesting sequel, for sure. The game’s a little odd, but it’s Cave, so the stage design and bullet patterns are top-notch. The scoring system is very fun and fast-paced once you get used to the changes, but DS2X didn’t really grab me in the same way that the original did. Still a great game though.

x. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu ; Honestly, I wanted to put this in my top 10, but I thought I was getting a little heavy on shooters so I figured I should bump one of them down. This game is very, very good though. Great bullet patterns and stage design blah blah, yes I’m a broken a record. What’s really interesting here is that every mode on the disc is very fun and worth playing. Ver 1.5 is a blast, Arrange B is one of the oddest things I’e seen in a shooter, and honestly, Arrange A might be my favorite mode in the game. I love filling the screen with bullets, jacking up my hit counter until I’’ve been cornered, then quickly switching to boost and clearing a path. The one thing I don’t like about this game is chaining. Now thankfully chaining in Daifukkatsu isn’t as strict as its predecessors, but it’s still a chaining system and I still don’t like it.

x. Mass Effect 2 ; Solid gameplay, good characters, good graphics, and a fully realized sci-fi world to explore. It’s a great game that would have been even greater if Bioware didn’t forget to include a central storyline and the entire middle section of the game.

x. Touhou Koumajou Densetsu 2: Stranger’s Requiem ; A very fun Castlevania clone with Touhou characters, awesome artwork, and it even has professional voice actresses reading every line in the game. The bosses in particular are very well done. Very impressive for a doujin game. Now I wouldn’t rank this up there with the rest of these games, but I thought this was definitely worth a mention since it’s so niche. And also because it’s the best Touhou game ever! [/backhanded compliment]

And now I'm gonna throw this out there without proof-reading it at all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
1. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
2. Halo: Reach
3. Alpha Protocol
4. Infinite Space
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
7. Blade Kitten
8. Resonance of Fate
9. Goldeneye 007
10. Epic Mickey

And as for the rest of the games I played in 2010:

11. Red Steel 2
12. Arc Rise Fantasia
13. Sonic the Hedgehog 4
14. Alan Wake
15. Perfect Dark

2010 games I own but didn't get around to playing yet:

Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns
Sin & Punishment 2

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Nice write-ups, Stump. You explain your choices rationally and informatively. I picked up VVVVVV during the Steam sale but lacked the motivation to play it. That changes the next moment I'm afforded free time.

Grayman

Just stopping by to see what day this finished
AniHawk said:
Yeah but the PS3 fanbase really needed a win, so I added about 3000 points at the end there.
:lol The PS3 fanbase may have been better off with LBP coming ahead

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

I'll edit my post a bit to add some reasoning for my choices. Simply put, nothing else I played this year got its hooks in me as much as these two titles. While there were certainly other games I enjoyed this year (I'll give a shout out to Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2), what made Meat Boy and Lara so special was how they kept calling out to me after I had initially considered my time with them done.

With Super Meat Boy, I first thought I would be satisfied just to complete the Light World... but after doing that and leaving the game alone for a few weeks, I got this compelling feeling to go back for more. When I did, it totally sucked me back in, and I eventually completed enough of the Dark World to beat the final boss.

Lara Croft was a similar situation - even after finishing the single player game to 100%, I found myself repeatedly checking for news on the first pack of DLC. I just wasn't ready for the game to end.

By listing only two games, I'm not trying to say that everything else this year sucked. Other games were good, too. It's just that these two were in such a higher class that I can't bring myself to list alongside them anything else.

EviLore said:

It is ridiculous how deep Vegas goes.

Baki

I've realised that I've barely played any 2010 games this year. Too busy.

Games I've played this year have been inFamous, Red Dead Redemption, COD: Black OPs, Battlefield BC 2 (thank you Steam sale), ModNation Racers, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Left4Dead 2 and Civilisation 4.

Massa

1. Bioshock 2 ; The improved combat made the game incredibly fun to play - grab and shoot enemies at other enemies with Telekinesis, drill dash to 1-hit kill splicers standing 30-feet away from you or shoot fire and bullets simultaneously - it never got old. The game made you feel god-like powerful and yet the clever design of the levels and Little Sister gathering kept things tense and interesting and never boring. The story is simply the best in a FPS since the original Bioshock, hitting on a more personal note instead of following the same tone as the original. Combined with Minerva's Den I can safely say it was the most satisfying and emotionally involving game I played this year, and so it's GOTY.

2. Fallout: New Vegas ; There's intelligent life in the Mojave Wasteland. Instead of exploring abandoned areas killing mutants, bugs and ghouls this game offers an incredible number of interesting people and quests that completely sucked me in for more than 60 hours, and I still plan to go back for more and then play through it all again with a different character. The game is not without its flaws - how can one not mention the bugs, or some boring quests that simply involve fast traveling here and there - but that doesn't seem so important compared to the many amazing moments, like exposing the cannibalism of an elite club or sending a group of ghouls to space.

3. Red Dead Redemption ; I wasn't particularly interested in a "Western GTA", like many defined the game before release and still do. Maybe my lack of hype for it played a part in the game completely blowing me away, with the wonderfully realized world, many great characters and the involving story of John Marston. The game was a blast to play, and if it weren't for some annoying problems (like some completely out of place characters and poorly designed missions) it would probably be even higher on this list.

4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; I don't care for the single player campaign in this game. I was even disappointed by its more serious tone, but the multiplayer is just so very good. I'm still blown away by the simplest of "Battlefield-moments", such as the wall of a house I'm hiding being completely destroyed by enemy fire.

5. Gran Turismo 5 ; At its core is the most satisfying driving experience I've had with a game, and on top of that is a seemingly endless amount of content. Of all the games on this list I'm sure GT5 will be my most played of 2011, and I'm sure I'll continue to love every minute of it.

6. God of War 3 ; The game executes the God of War formula perfectly, and I love it. I can't wait to see where the series goes next.

7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; A lot of people seem to think this game is way better than AC2, and I have to disagree with that. The game doesn't balance the amount of side missions it opens up for you as well as the previous, and a lot of the side stuff feels thrown in there to pad it out. Quite a few missions were clearly not polished enough and annoyed the heck out of me, and the overall story of the series (the present day stuff) is about as bad as it's ever been, but to its merit it's much less obtrusive this time. Still, even with all its problems the free climbing and assassinating in Renaissance Italy is as much fun as it's ever been, and another game I just can't stop playing.

8. Hot Shots Tennis ; Easily the most addictive game I played all year with incredibly fun gameplay.

9. Heavy Rain ; One of my most expected games of this generation turned out to be my most disappointing game of the year, with its terrible voice acting and poor story. Still, it managed to keep me playing non-stop, with some incredibly tense scenes and the need to find out where the story was going. And if the story ended up leaving some seriously unresolved questions the themes approached by the game coupled with its perfect no-checkpoint system made for a truly memorable game that I can't recommend enough.

10. Joe Danger ; This game's formula is simple: it gives you great mechanics and abuses the OCD nature in you to steal hours and hours of your life. And if getting every star wasn't enough, it wants more: I have to beat every one of my friends too. You're evil Joe Danger, that face doesn't fool me.

x. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; started it on my Christmas break and I'm loving it, but haven't had time to play a lot of it. Sadly the voting is done in January. :(
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Same as above. I actually started it back in May, but it was so soon after the original (for me) that I decided to sit on it. Now I'm back and I'm loving it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
1. Red Dead Redemption ; You ride across the prairie and a random event occurs. Random events and side-quests are now required; every game take note!
2. Mass Effect 2 ; I thought I wasn't going to like the changes to the RPG-side of things, but I was wrong. The good parts stayed and have been iterated on. The epitome of a sequel.
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; Go-to multiplayer shooter in 2010.
4. Gran Turismo 5 ; The game is so flawed and yet so great. Made me go out and get a wheel and a wheelstandpro. Fun times.
5. Blur ; Just a very fun arcade multiplayer racer. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. Can't go back to it anymore though. See one item above.
6. Heavy Rain ; I was engrossed in the story. Mainly deserves a spot up here as it's so different from anything else I've played this year.

x. Picross 3D ; Fantastic puzzle game. No need to ever switch the game in the DS.

NHale

1. Heavy Rain
2. Gran Turismo 5
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. F1 2010
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
8. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
10. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

x. 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
x. MAG
x. NCAA Football 11

Games that I didn't finished but would probably end up in the top 10 – Super Mario Galaxy 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

I want to add my reasons to the list but right now I don't feel in the mood to do it. I guess I had enough trying to order my 5th to 13th game.

Haunted

I'm very unhappy with the lack of votes for Monster Hunter Tri. I know the series isn't particularly popular in the west but I was hoping for a bit more representation here on GAF.

Also, I think I can already submit Super Scribblenauts for most overlooked and underappreciated title this year.

Haunted said:
I'm very unhappy with the lack of votes for Monster Hunter Tri. I know the series isn't particularly popular in the west but I was hoping for a bit more representation here on GAF.

Also, I think I can already submit Super Scribblenauts for most overlooked and underappreciated title this year.

Yep, becuase is the game that the first one had to be.

At least is a game that has a wider audience (kids love it when they play it) so theres no like is going to sale badly.

Dave Long

Banned
My youngest loves Super Scribblenauts (9) and all the kids were into Monster Hunter Tri when we got it. They would have those on their lists. :)

I'm sure if I was still writing for a place like GamerDad, both of those would have gotten mentions from me. Dragon Quest IX and Pokemon were a bit bigger for them this past year, as was Kirby's Epic Yarn, but really it was a great year for kid friendly games all around if you knew where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom