• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games working on new IP

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/23/farewell-canal-house/

We knew the writing was on the wall when our power needs became so demanding that our neighbors started to experience brownouts. Adding an electrical transformer allowed us to at least finish Killzone 3 without bringing down the whole block, but the rising number of employees and the start of a new IP meant it was only going to be a temporary reprieve. (And we’re still hiring, by the way. You can check out guerrilla-games.com/jobs for a full overview of available positions.)

What type of game do you guys think they should make? Another shooter?

I think Guerrilla should try their hand at a RPG.

I wouldn't mind a 3rd person open-world game from them. They got the graphics talent to make it beautiful.\

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a top-down game, either. I really loved Killzone Liberation on the PSP.

KZObsessed

Yeah they mentioned this at their GDC keynote I believe. I recall it being reported as a PS3 game rather than PSP2 but it was joystiq who reported that so don't take it as concrete or anything :p

Multiple open world FPS/RPG with space travel/combat would be my dream game.

Solstice said:
I wouldn't mind a 3rd person open-world game from them. They got the graphics talent to make it beautiful.

Doing open world differs a lot from what they can make pretty at the moment (small boxes). But yeah, a third person game from them would be interesting.

Spiegel

If Sony has learned anything from this generation this will be a PSP2 game coming from the new team inside Guerrilla.

I want to believe that all the top class SCE developers have created smaller teams to develop games for their next handheld.

Shiggy

Either Killzone Sports, Killzone RPG, Killzone Kart or Killzone at the Olympic Games. Oh well, it's not Nintendo.

BeeDog

Vinterbird said:
Doing open world differs a lot from what they can make pretty at the moment (small boxes). But yeah, a third person game from them would be interesting.

I'd say it's unfair to call what they've shown from KZ3 "small boxes". The scope/size of the levels is pretty damn good this time around.

Spiegel said:
I want to believe that all the top class SCE developers have created smaller teams to develop games for their next handheld.

Thats precisely what I think needs to happen.

The big studios all need a dedicated portable team in their buildings.

Evolution Studios model of having a satellite studio works well too.

Dennis

Banned
RPG?

No way, it is going to be a money sink MMO just like the other idiot developers who think they can make money with that.

BeeDog said:
I'd say it's unfair to call what they've shown from KZ3 "small boxes". The scope/size of the levels is pretty damn good this time around.

There's still a big difference going from a closed (small compared to an open world the size of GTA) area where the player won't be poking around every corner looking for stuff, to a full blown world where the player is given complete control over movement and the likes.

While Guerilla probably could make something pretty, it would not be KZ3 pretty.

Firewire

Banned
New shooter incoming? I can't see them straying that far from a shooter, it's what they know how to do best. A top down Liberation style game would be awesome.

Dreohboy

Solstice said:
I wouldn't mind a 3rd person open-world game from them. They got the graphics talent to make it beautiful.\

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind a top-down game, either. I really loved Killzone Liberation on the PSP.

This.

Kittonwy

Banned
Brownouts? Fix this shit Guerilla.
Indifferent2.gif

Please don't be a shooting game.

Wtf else are they supposed to make, they've only made shooters so far.

theBishop

Banned
One gaping hole in Sony's first party lineup is Western RPG. I wanted to see Santa Monica or Insomniac try it, but Guerrilla could be good too.

Or anything that let them revisit the top-down mechanics in Liberation would be sweet.

Is "brown out" an Sunny reference?

Good that they're working on a new IP. I recently played Killzone 2 and it's boring as fuck.

expy said:
"Hallo, we come in peace" a First Person Sci-Fi Shooter
"Hallo, Killer", the touching story of a girl who moves in with a boy who ends up being a serial killer; then she finds out he killed her parents years ago. Plays just like heavy rain but with the Killzone engine.

theBishop said:
One gaping hole in Sony's first party lineup is Western RPG. I wanted to see Santa Monica or Insomniac try it, but Guerrilla could be good too.

Or anything that let them revisit the top-down mechanics in Liberation would be sweet.

I don't think sony is interested to make an rpg internally. And you can't just order developer who mainly make platformer, shooter, or action game to suddenly make rpg. The most you can hope is for sony to work with 3rd party dev who already have the experience to make rpg, then if it's successful, decide to buy the developer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DennisK4 said:
RPG?

No way, it is going to be a money sink MMO just like the other idiot developers who think they can make money with that.

Sony already have a big Studio (SOE) that make MMOs exclusively.

Kittonwy said:
Wtf else are they supposed to make, they've only made shooters so far.

ND jumped from just making kiddie platformers to TPS very nicely , many other devs did this too.

Bungieware said:
Is "brown out" an Sunny reference?

With regards to electricity, a 'brown out' is a drop in voltage of an electirical supply. It causes lights to dim.

A blackout is loss of current altogether, causing all lights to be 'off'.

Maffis

Totobeni said:
Sony already have a big Studio (SOE) that make MMOs exclusively.

ND jumped from just making kiddie platformers to TPS very nicely , many other devs did this too.

Kiddy platformers? Jak and Daxter? Why I oughta...

Maffis said:
Kiddy platformers? Jak and Daxter? Why I oughta...

Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot aren't exactly aimed at a mature audience. Great games, but they were targeted at younger people primarily.

Elios83

This has been known for a while, the game should be well in development at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if their next IP is something like Mass Effect.

Sipowicz

Banned
Spiegel said:
If Sony has learned anything from this generation this will be a PSP2 game coming from the new team inside Guerrilla.

oh man, you took the words right out of my mouth

please let this be true

Sipowicz said:
oh man, you took the words right out of my mouth

please let this be true
To be fair, GG wouldn't exactly be the one that needs to expand to handle multiplatform development. They were the one western first party studio that managed to create a PSP1 title, Liberation. All other western first party titles were outsourced, save those from Sony Bend and Sony Cambridge, but even Resistance and LittleBigPlanet were still outsourced from their original developers.

.la1n

Did you guys follow the story in Killzone 1? I don't want GG working on anything that requires a cohesive narrative to drive the game.

Elios83

.la1n said:
Did you guys follow the story in Killzone 1? I don't want GG working on anything that requires a cohesive narrative to drive the game.

Well they also stated that Killzone 3 is the first game where they're actually trying with the story, in their previous games it simply wasn't the reason to play.

Top Bottom