• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Spotlight: REVOLVER360 (XBLIG)

Kafel

Banned
f3i0d3.jpg

Winner of the special prize in Microsoft XNA Game Software Contest 2010 in Japan, this SHMUP just released on the Indie Service is a true gem. It's new take on the genre consists of a "twist" game mechanic that allows the player to also dodge the bullets with the triggers. The traditional 2D plan of the SHMUP games becomes 3D.

This is what the developer (kuroro) has to say about his game :
A horizontal scrolling & revolving shooter. Revolve and dodge the bullet hell!! 2 game mode,trophy system,and global scoreboards.

Better than explanations, just try it (it's free) and don't forget to use the rating system so good Live Indie games stand above crap.

Link: HERE
Trailer: HERE (bad quality)

r10f21.jpg

33o6ypl.jpg

200s8e9.jpg

15i264o.jpg

Enk

makes good threads.
This game is pretty trippy. The use of the L&R Triggers is quite creative and I'm surprised noone has thought to do that before. If I had to make one slight complaint it's that the effects and vibrant color tones can obscure bullets and enemies at times, so if you're playing this for score like I am then it can get a little irritating to get hit by seemingly invisible objects. Maybe the developer should change the color of the bullets depending on what backdrop is present. Other than that the game can be quite a ride and am curious as to what all the unlockable options are.

Also I tried uploading my score to the global leaderboards but didn't have any luck getting it to go through. Have any of you managed to upload your score successfully?

GhaleonEB

The core game mechanic and its implementation are quite brilliant. I found the visuals a bit too hyperactive or my tastes, but fans of the genre are in for a treat. The first time I hit a trigger was one of those "why haven't I seen this done before?!" kind of moments.

mokeyjoe

Enk said:
This game is pretty trippy. The use of the L&R Triggers is quite creative and I'm surprised noone has thought to do that before. If I had to make one slight complaint it's that the effects and vibrant color tones can obscure bullets and enemies at times, so if you're playing this for score like I am then it can get a little irritating to get hit by seemingly invisible objects. Maybe the developer should change the color of the bullets depending on what backdrop is present. Other than that the game can be quite a ride and am curious as to what all the unlockable options are.

Also I tried uploading my score to the global leaderboards but didn't have any luck getting it to go through. Have any of you managed to upload your score successfully?

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I'd love to see this in a less abstract shmup. It brings the genre into 3 dimensions really well without compromising the core gameplay.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How long is the game? The demo looked groin grabbingly good but I'm afraid that I already went through all the content.

Kafel

Banned
I've seen today that the game is in the Top Rated list, good.

Don't forget to let indie devs know what you want on the service by rating down/up the games.

this game is real fuckin' neato. great soundtrack, amazing backdrops, fun mechanic. the screen gives a little "shake" every time you destroy an enemy, feels really satisfying.

MNC

Not that I don't like trippy flash/colorful games.. But it's almost becoming a genre in itself instead of an artstyle.

Top Bottom