• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNDERCITY - Urban exploring in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
http://www.vimeo.com/18280328

Just saw this video a little while ago. A filmmaker documents the exploration of NYC's nearly forgotten underground. They head to abandoned train stations, sewers, and meet people who've been living in them. It's all real, and they have a few close calls during their exploration.

It's about 28 minutes, but it's worth it. It's very exciting to watch. So have some time to spare if you want to watch the whole thing.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
This thing is incredible... especially the first bit, I felt all the suspense of potentially getting caught.. crazy.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I came for

JdWoL.jpg

and was expecting this.

then I became disappointed.

LQX

Meh, I have seen better videos on the undergrounds of the NY subways. For 25 minutes he really didn't show much.

border

I thought I was going to be sick during the last part on the bridge.

I'm not entirely sure why all the lights and electricity seem to be running at that abandoned subway station. It didn't seem like there was a single bulb out.

Barrett2

Cool, i'll check that out later.

Anyone ever done the tour in Brooklyn where you walk through the abandoned subway tunnel that was discovered in the 1970s? I think they offer a tour once a month...

cbox

Awesome but I think I'd be more interested in abandoned buildings, mainly factories or hospitals. Still cool though! Also, doesn't this make it incredibly easy for him to be charged?

bengraven

Max@GC said:
Reminds me of 'Dark Days'

Thank you. I was worried I'd be the first person to mention DD. One of my favorite docs of all time and what really got me interested in urban exploration.

Also: speedpop: best city ever.

Brinbe

Max@GC said:
Reminds me of 'Dark Days'
Yep, exactly. Still incredibly fascinating though, and that also goes for the forgotten/hidden underground in other cities. Would love to explore that shit.

thomaser said:
Thanks! I love reading about underground places for some reason.

Here's an article about exploring the Paris subway. Lots of cool photos.

And here's a 3D "scan" of the Peel Street Caves underneath Nottingham. Some houses have access to the caves from the basement - how cool is that?

So I worked in a pub in Nottingham - I think it was the lion hotel, where their was a door next to the cellar door and it it lead down a spiral staircase carved out of rock that after a few minutes of going down and down you ended up in a room/cave about 40 foot in length by 20 foot width and 10 foot in height. This room had benches cut into the rock for gamblers to watch cocks fight.

There's no punchline, it's actually true.

Luthair

Isn't there a show now in the US that goes around exploring under cities? I think it did a whole season already and is still going. Looks really neat.

Edit: Found it, City's of the underworld is its name

El Sloth

Banned
Vid was great, thanks OP. I'd love to go exploring like this one day, but only with someone who really knew their shit.

HappyBivouac said:
Doing something adventurous, filming it, and putting it online for us to enjoy?

Fucking hipsters.

Come on man he's an Urban Historian.

I wonder where he got his degree. Pabst State?

I love 30 minute docs. Often, there are docs on subject I have only passing interest in and I always think that there's no way I'm watching 2 hours on a subject I'm barely interested in but when they're short like this, it's a perfect length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom