• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early 2011 EA Server Shutdowns and a Question

I have a question about PSN Tetris. I found out it is running on EA servers and I'm concerned the online will be shutdown in the future. Does EA have a different server policy between retail and digital download games? Tetris is a timeless game to me and it would be a shame if I couldn't play it online in a couple of years.

I went ahead and looked at the EA website. I figure this will help some poor soul out there still playing one of these games.

Mar 1, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for Wii

Feb 8, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

FIFA 07 for Xbox 360
FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA SPORTS™ FIFA Manager 10 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Madden 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Madden 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2 and Wii
NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
NCAA® Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 07 for Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 2
NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
UEFA EURO 2008™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
2010 FIFA World Cup™ for PlayStation Portable and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup™ Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Jan 17, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

The Sims Carnival

Jan 11, 2011 Online Service Shutdown

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for Xbox 360

Dec 31, 2010 Online Service Shutdown

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for PC

Agent X

They might factor in the popularity of a game, and whether the game can still garner its fair share of sales.

I'd guess that a game like Tetris would have a great amount of longevity, based on the longevity of other versions of Tetris in the past. By contrast, most of the games being shut down early are older sports games (which usually see yearly updates), and after 2-3 years there isn't just isn't enough interest in playing these games online when the majority of sports gamers have moved on with the latest and greatest version.

EA isn't likely to phase out the current Tetris game next year and release "Tetris 12" in its place, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there. They're just as happy to sell the same game for several years in succession.

Top Bottom