• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #66 - "This NeoGAFian Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Theme - "This NeoGAFian life"

The radio show "This American Life" which contains articles about life in America. To get some good ideas listen here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast and here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives they also have a show which is streaming on Netflix.

The show covers things from investigative journalism to a story about a blind man taking his baby for a walk. Mike Birbiglia has a fantastic story about jumping out of a window, and Dan Savage has a heart wrenching story about losing his mother. Your entry should be something akin to what's on the show. This doesn't mean that it has to take place in current or historic events. You could enter a sci-fi piece or whatever. Let your imagination go wild.

I believe some of the best writing today is on this show. Time to see what we can do with it.

NOTE: After the contest is over I will print out all the entries and send them to the show offices. DO NOT enter unless you agree to this.

Word Limit: 1800

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Thursday, January 27, 2011, and goes until Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective:
True Story Bro. It doesn't have to be something to you. It could be something that happened to someone you know or even in history.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

ronito

Cyan said:
Oh. Shit. I don't even know where to start. Hmm.

You have left me nonplussed, sir!
220px-Bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

Good.

I felt we were all getting a little comfortable. Time to push people out of it.

Cyan

Banned
Irish said:
I don't get it?
John Dunbar said:
i'm not even going to pretend i get what the fuck is going on in here. out.
This American Life is a radio show/podcast that often features interesting stories from real life.

The idea is to emulate one of those stories.

I came unto this thread thinking you were asking for stories about GAF in particular.

I've got a few good ones but they don't take place in the US. Is that OK by the theme?

ronito

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I came unto this thread thinking you were asking for stories about GAF in particular.

I've got a few good ones but they don't take place in the US. Is that OK by the theme?
doesn't matter the place. Like crow pointed out it's supposed to be creative non-ficition. Go go go!!

Huh. I'm already working on a long piece of fiction that is based loosely in reality. Since I'm already in that space, maybe I can make it in for this challenge.

ronito

hey_monkey said:
Huh. I'm already working on a long piece of fiction that is based loosely in reality. Since I'm already in that space, maybe I can make it in for this challenge.
Would love to have you back Mono.

Ashes

Banned
This American life, eh? I'll spin a yarn that is about as subtle as a man striking another man with a stick.
I don't usually write for Americans; in fact my last story was one of the rare few, but this comes at a good time.

Cyan

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
This American life, eh? I'll spin a yarn that is about as subtle as a man striking another man with a stick.
I don't usually write for Americans; in fact my last story was one of the rare few, but this comes at a good time.
That's really not what it's about. It doesn't have to have anything to do with America.

John Dunbar said:
So the theme is basically "write anything you want just as long as it could technically happen in reality"?

Yeah, those boundaries aren't vaguely vague as to be non-existent at all. I'm just going to go with creative non-fiction. I think.

Iceman

Tim the Wiz said:
Yeah, those boundaries aren't vaguely vague as to be non-existent at all. I'm just going to go with creative non-fiction. I think.

I'm thinking about going the Social Network route, i.e. a fictionalized "touching" up of a real life account in order to imbue/shoehorn the events with a central theme.

I'm toying with two different story ideas presently: (1) a wedding toast (that never happened, but potentially could have) gone predictably wrong and awkward, and saying something about our modern takes on love, life and death and (2) a cross country road trip (that really did happen) that will give me a chance to study the vastly different cultures across this nation as well as exploring the concepts of consequence and responsibility.

Ashes

Banned
This what I understood Ronito. You are going to send out a bunch of stories in a package covering This NeoGAFian Life, right?

I'm at a loss as to how you want us to write. Truthfully now.

I'm not finding it challenging; I'm finding it... "?" What is the theme? is it completely open?

Iceman

Okay, question: so should we construct three one act stories that hover around a central theme.. of life?

OR

should we construct a single story that will serve as one act of a larger body of work that is patched together by a central theme.

ESSENTIALLY: a single patch in a three patch quilt? or the whole three patch quilt?

Or should we write about some random aspect of life like .. i dunno.. women becoming the breadwinners in households.. or a what if: e.g. what if the entire internet went down for a month - what would happen to society?

Ashes

Banned
I just wrote a story about poverty in Bangladesh. It's written in third person as well. It should be up shortly... Or maybe, I'll sleep on it...

ronito

Iceman said:
Okay, question: so should we construct three one act stories that hover around a central theme.. of life?

OR

should we construct a single story that will serve as one act of a larger body of work that is patched together by a central theme.

ESSENTIALLY: a single patch in a three patch quilt? or the whole three patch quilt?

Or should we write about some random aspect of life like .. i dunno.. women becoming the breadwinners in households.. or a what if: e.g. what if the entire internet went down for a month - what would happen to society?
Up to you guys.

Cinders, do what you feel is best.

Man, maybe I should've picked another topic. :(

Ashes

Banned
ronito said:

It sounds more like a secondary objective.
What is the theme? the theme is anything.

But do it in the style of this American life.

Right?

but you're going to send it in. So who picks the theme... they do? in the end?

Edit: I'm only messin btw... no damn smilies... :p

ronito

Ashes1396 said:
It sounds more like a secondary topic.
What is theme? the theme is anything.

But do it in the style of this American life.

Right?

but you're going to send it in. So who picks the theme... they do? in the end?
Yup.
Theme can be anything.
All style.

I'm just going to send it in to get the writers here some recognition. They can ignore it, read it, laugh, do whatever they want with it. I just thought it'd be fun to get some of our writing here out to people who not only do it for a living but do it well.

Make of it what you will. If you don't want me to send them, then I can drop that idea.

Ashes

Banned
14n3bk8.jpg

Now, who's challenging who kitten?

edit: Send it in. Send it in. You're in control of this plane. This ship be falling fast if you give up on us.

JCX

ronito said:
Up to you guys.

Cinders, do what you feel is best.

Man, maybe I should've picked another topic. :(

I was kidding with my question. This is a great topic, and I feel like the confused people haven't listened to much TAL, because it makes sense to me.

Ashes

Banned
You know what? fuck it. I'll make this a challenge. Just for you Ronito. I will write about Poverty. I will write about Bangladesh. I will make it about as subtle as a man beating another man with a stick. And write it in a third person... that's sorta kinda suitable to the show in question...
It'll have to wait a bit though... What I'm really working on is this poem for the poetry thread... :)

Irish

Heh, my uncle was a missionary in Bangladesh. He met his Bulgarian wife (my aunt) there. He's a real asshole though. I can't even imagine how bad he made my family look.

bengraven

You know something...something suddenly hit me. I think I have something to write.

No, I know I have something to write.

ronito said:
Make of it what you will. If you don't want me to send them, then I can drop that idea.

Perrrrrsonally, I'm agin this part of it, because I often end up using what I write here to build a story I actually use for something and I don't want any attention brought to the fact that things get posted here, on an open forum.

BUT! That's just MY feeling on it.

Also BUT! With school having just restarted, I may not get to finish. BUT BUT BUT I did start a story today.

p.s. I like but(t)s.

Cool. I've only "completed" one, I think, that originated here, but that one is now in my submission rotation so I guess I'm extra paranoid thinking about the what-ifs with something being here, even in a vastly different, rough, early form.

eta: ugh, I sound really... I don't know, snobby or something here. This is just pretty much all I do, so I have the serious.

Ashes

Banned
hey_monkey said:
Cool. I've only "completed" one, I think, that originated here, but that one is now in my submission rotation so I guess I'm extra paranoid thinking about the what-ifs with something being here, even in a vastly different, rough, early form.

eta: ugh, I sound really... I don't know, snobby or something here. This is just pretty much all I do, so I have the serious.

You sound like you just watched the King's speech. Or had a tipple. :)

ronito

so while I'm throwing out crazy ideas let me toss another one out.

How's about we let the 2nd place winner set the secondary objective?

ronito said:

Could cause some difficulty getting threads up on time, especially if we're sticking to this Sunday/Monday schedule.

Also, I'd just make the secondary objective be Taverns every other time. It's just what I do.

Ashes

Banned
ronito said:

too many cooks and all that... stick to what we know is best.

But if the op wants to throw it out every week or so, than I guess that's okay and all...

Sounds (1519 words)

Sounds fill Jose’s ears. The chittering of bats in the air, the gentle whoosh of a night breeze, his own deliberate, quietened breathing – all these noises he curses for they distract him. Jose is listening not for these noises, but for the gentle rhythmic scrape of army boots on sand. He needs to know that he won’t be found.

Jose, you see, shouldn’t be here. Not out on these streets after dark, not tonight. It is December of 1989 in a small village of the capital department of war-torn El Salvador and the army has decreed a strict curfew. Offenders will be considered enemy combatants, that is to say communist guerrillas, and be shot on sight.

There is a reason Jose is running through the streets of his hometown, ducking from street corner to street corner, afraid, unarmed and brandishing a pathetic-looking stick with a white handkerchief tied to the end. This reason isn’t political, for Jose has no strong political convictions, nor is it profit, for Jose is a schoolteacher by profession and in these times of war, still makes a reasonable living.

No, his reason for risking his life this way is entirely unrelated to violence or civil war, left or right, Duarte, Cristiani, Castro, Gorbachev or Reagan. Earlier tonight, Jose’s wife went into labour. Their second child is going to be born tonight and Jose is running to his parents’ house to get help.

His journey is terrifying, but thankfully short, for his parents live close by. He stands in front of the window, at the end of a terraced row of rendered concrete and raps on the window pane with his knuckle.

No answer.

He raps a little louder.

Still no answer.

He raps again, no louder for fear of attracting the attention of a passing patrol, but with more urgency. Jose is starting to panic.

“Who is it?” The voice comes in a whisper. It is Jose’s mother.

“It’s me, Jose!” The response is rasped out of his mouth, fear having taken hold.

“What in heaven’s name are you doing here?” asks an exasperated mother.

Jose explains the predicament, adding that his wife’s water had broken. His mother responds that his best bet was to retrieve a midwife who lives a few streets away, for there is no doctor in the village. The way is known to him, but it would take him to the other side of the village, across Main Street, where he might be seen from the town square.

Stealing through the streets with his makeshift white flag held out in front of him and waving it ahead of him whenever he turned a corner, he made it out to Main Street. Not knowing whether this next move would be his last, he waves his flag and steps out into the open. He braces for shouts and perhaps gunfire, but instead there is silence.

Looking right, he can see the town square, with its white church gates and monuments to ages past. Looking left, he sees the mountain on the side of which his village was built. Dark forest reaches out into a clear and starry sky. Beneath his feet are interlocking paving tiles, their sound much different underfoot to the clay and white sand of the rest of the village streets.

Jose walks slowly, waving his flag in wide, sweeping motions until he reaches the other side, at which point he begins his run and flag wave mode of travel once more, continuing until he reaches the house of the midwife.

Again, Jose makes furtive raps on the window, although this time, the voice he summons isn’t so considerate when Jose identifies himself or explains his mission. His suggestion that the woman come with him back to his house is met with horror.

“Hii-jo‘e la gran puu-ta!” She utters a phrase familiar to anybody who has any knowledge of Spanish expletives and she does so with aplomb. Salvadorans swear like only poets can, placing subtle inflection on and adding a touch of lyrical beauty to the filthiest of phrases. “Are you crazy?” she asks, adding that he can go off and commit a certain deplorable act if he thinks she is leaving her home. “Bring her here if you want my help.”

Jose is dismayed at the prospect of dragging his pregnant wife through the gauntlet he just experienced and tries to convince the woman through the window that this is impossible. She, however, is having none of it. Either Jose brings his wife to the midwife or his wife will simply need to give birth on her own.

Slipping back across Main Street and back through the streets and avenues to his house, Jose’s fear for his own life is eclipsed by the fear of what he will now need to put his wife through. Back at his front door, he looks about him before turning the key and letting himself in.

He rushes through the dark, past his in-laws and into the bedroom, where his wife is lying with a pained look on her face, her dark curls tangled and adhering to the sweat on her brow. “Vieja,” he says, using an ironic term of endearment, “the midwife isn’t with me. She refused to leave her house. She says we need to go to her. Can you walk?” It all comes in a rush.

Jose packs a small bag while his wife gets herself ready. The contractions are only twenty or so minutes apart now and she needs to stop and sit while the next one overwhelms her. She is whimpering silently in long, slow, excruciating sobs, for she dares not make a noise. Not at night. Not under curfew. The pain ends and Jose drags her to her feet. There is no time for tenderness or comfort. No time to wake their firstborn. The boy’s grandmother will take care of him. They need to run.

The going is slower now than before. Jose’s wife, in her exhausted state, can only manage a crouching waddle or a syncopated shuffle. She cannot keep up the pace or quieten her breathing and the ever-present threat of another contraction hangs over them both. Jose’s waving of his makeshift flag is erratic and fast. He runs a little way ahead of his wife to make certain that the street ahead is clear, that no patrols are waiting around the corner.

They pass by Jose’s parents’ house, but they do not bother to stop or even slow down. This is the point of no return. They head toward Main Street, their progress sluggish and punctuated with brief stops at every street corner as his wife catches her breath, her laboured breathing seemingly as loud as any noise Jose had ever heard.

The contraction comes.

Jose’s wife stifles a scream. She staggers back to the nearest wall and uses it to sit, sprawling on the raised footpath. Her breathing becomes more urgent, louder. Tears mingle with sweat and Jose, caught unawares, stops and rushes to her.

His second child could be born right here on the street, open to the worst kind of danger and exposed on the ground. Both Jose and his wife are terrified. “Just hold on,” he whispers to her. “Just hold on.” He gets up, grabs his flag and starts waving it around frantically in the hope that if a patrol does come, they will see what is going on before they start shooting.

Time passes. Nobody comes. No patrols appear. Nothing reacts to the noise. Her breathing finally slows and Jose looks down at her. She breathes in and out, opens her eyes and nods weakly. He helps her up, supporting her with one shoulder while keeping an iron grip on his flag in the other.

They shuffle over to Main Street. She leans on the wall while he waves his flag and looks around the corner. To his right he sees the town square again, empty. To his left, the mountain looms, silent and eternal. The way is clear.

Helping her back up, they travel slowly across Main Street and through the avenue toward the midwife’s house. Jose raps on the window one more time and whispers, letting those inside know that he is back and has brought his wife.

“Well then, hurry up and bring her inside!” The response is imperative. The door unlocks, opens and they dutifully comply. The midwife goes about her work.

The second of their boys is born that morning at 4:00am, healthy and loud. The horror is over and the dawn brings with it joy. They name him after one of Jose’s older brothers, giving him Jose’s own middle name and he sleeps well into the morning. Jose and Maria take him home later that day, walking with impunity under a clear blue sky to meet his brother and grandparents.

On this night, three lives with no desire to intersect with history nevertheless did so. On this night, bravery was demonstrated and rewarded not with honours, glory, praise, with medals or even a place in history, but with life and a future.

ronito

The OP curse strikes again.

I have no clue as to what to write.
Sorta funny though, my last piece would've been perfect for this challenge. :(
The only really interesting stuff about me is my work (I've signed NDAs)
My guitar education (I've already written a ton about this. I'm sure you're all tired of it.)
My migration to the united states (FAR too big)
Being latino in Utah (again too big)
and being raised mormon (again too big).

And I don't really have time to go out and interview anyone.

Cyan

Banned
Ok. Rules dilemma here. I have a specific story in mind to write about. But I've done this story before--I gave a Toastmasters speech about it last year.

Since this would be a new piece (and a different medium), I feel like it would fulfill the "written during the challenge" requirement. But it would cover the same events, so the story structure would have to be similar, and there's bound to be a lot of overlap. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom