• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: PSP2 to sport 3g connectivity, OLED touchscreen

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In the spirit of 'new thread for new news':

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/24/psp2_details/

According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Update 2

Courtesy of Andriasang, the original Japanese article does seem to specify that the screen is touch-enabled. So nevermind the previous update :)

Update 3

Some folks have been asking for liveblog links covering PlayStation Meeting 2011 so...

Kotaku
Eurogamer
IGN
1up

Conference start time courtesy of Kotaku:

East Coast: 1 a.m., Jan. 27
West Coast: 10 p.m., Jan 26
Japan: 3 p.m., Jan. 27
England: 6 a.m., Jan 27
Sydney, Australia: 5 p.m., Jan. 27

Mr_Brit

Banned
Hopefully its a separate model so people who don't want that can get a cheaper machine.

The OLED touchscreen on the other hand sounds amazing. can't wait for the 27th, this thing is going to blow people's minds.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So the back touch pad was a fake rumor? Or will it have both? o_O

To support 3G and not have phone functionality sounds like a waste tho.

Emitan

Online gaming doesn't use that much bandwidth, correct? Could the 3G be free or included in the system's cost like the Kindle? I woudn't mind paying if it was cheap, I have no interest and downloading movies or software on the 3G connection, but online gaming anywhere would be awesome.

BeeDog

The device is sounding really good based on the rumors, but what the fuck are they thinking; this device will probably cost a frickin' arm and a leg.

So will it have a SIM card or something to allow a network to recognise and charge for data-usage, or is there a SIM-less way of doing roaming 3G?

Certainly wondering if other territories will be able to subscribe their PSPII to a regular mobile phone network.

apana

Baki said:
Best news in ages. I love my bleeding edge tech. I'm happy Sony went the tech route.
Always connected devices for the win!!!

I like Sony whenever they try to go for bleeding edge tech or cool cinematic games. It seems to fit them.

I wonder will 3G be a subscription based service where users decide whether they want to use it, or will each device have a lifelong subscription. If it's the latter, I'm expecting a very high price.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xtop said:
does sony have it's own oled tech?

more leaks please!

Not sure. But SCE has outsourced screen supplies in the past...Sony's mobile display division hasn't always by default won their custom.

angelfly

Billychu said:
Online gaming doesn't use that much bandwidth, correct? Could the 3G be free or included in the system's cost like the Kindle? I woudn't mind paying if it was cheap, I have no interest and downloading movies or software on the 3G connection, but online gaming anywhere would be awesome.
I doubt Sony would offer free 3G. I'm guessing it might something like $5 a month for unlimited 3G or something like that.

Kuran

Banned
Wow. I hope 3G connectivity isn't a sign of Android though.

However it will be a sign of Monster Hunter anywhere! Wow!

Why are you guys complaining about price?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
3G for online sounds good. 3G for store browsing is cool. 3G for downloading games and movies seems a bit of a stretch. Unless it needs a data tariff in which case fine (i'll not bother and buy the wifi only version). Potentially screws importers though, as docomo isn't a portable standard

Touch screen meaning not rear? Yes please

Sipowicz

Banned
nikkei is normally good for leaks

and the simmcard thing will be good and help differentiate it from nintendo's handheld

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:

It's becoming more common for devices to carry that connectivity without being a phone (iPad, other tablets, Kindle etc.)

On the back touchpad, I think it's assured. Just at the end of the week there were more multitouch SCEA patents with a heavy emphasis on a rear touchpad. But front touchscreen gives best of both worlds.

angelfly

Kuran said:
Wow. I hope 3G connectivity isn't a sign of Android though.

However it will be a sign of Monster Hunter anywhere! Wow!
Theres no way Android will be the main OS for it but as I said in the other thread Android as a a side option (like OtherOS allowed Linux on PS3) would add significant value to the device.

OLED has great contrast, but even the best SAMOLED screens struggle with brightness, and the battery life can be pretty bad. I think I'd rather have a high end LCD on my handheld.

TTP said:

Sounds like it will have both. Which is crazy, but interesting.

Not having phone stuff could potentially mean them setting up either a Kindle solution, or providing special cheaper data plans then you would get when putting on the phone part of a subscription.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eh, 3G is last gen Tech. PSP2 is a last gen machine. Need more 4G. /Wired.

(I kid Chris, don't kill me).

Kuran

Banned
3G connectivity and a perfect port of CODBLOPS = Sony wins this handheld race

Not that I care one iota for COD

Xater

xtop said:
fixed that for ya

Yeah 3G isn't exactly cheap, so it's most likely not a service I would use on a handheld. I already have to pay monthly for my phone. I think 3G is a bit too much and just drives the price up. Maybe they will offer two models.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TTP said:

Most likely both.

Seriously, this thing is going to be a control method beast:

-Dual analogs
-Multitouch touchscreen
-Multitouch back trackpad
-Motion sensor(Probably)
-Microphone(Probably)

Top Bottom