• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 5 = Chromehounds 2? Namco publishing in West [Up2: Trailer In OP]

duckroll

Update:

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKvphbB_Js&hd=1

Original:

Armored Core 5 is in Famitsu this week too:

- Bandai Namco Games is publishing this outside of Japan
- The gameplay will involve the player forming teams with other players and fighting it out online
- The objective in the game is territorial conquest
- The My Garage system allows you to upgrade you mechs
- The mech part designs are brand new
- The main component of the game is online play

Edit: Adding more details.

- The online play here is different from normal online multiplayer because it has no separate modes. By being a single seamless online mode, it makes it much easier for players to get online and start playing.
- There is a single player option.

- The main objective of the game is for your team to capture the territory of another team.
- You can set up defenses in your territories beforehand. If no players are online in a team, the defenses become the enemies for other players trying to take it.
- Teams are made up of 5 players. In combat there will be 4 players controlling mechs, while the remaining player serves as the commander and operator for the team.

- There will be something similar to Overweapons from AC4.

- There is a huge amount of content in the game.

- Release date is 2011.

Edit: Updating stuff.

The game is officially announced by Namco Bandai Games for a 2012 release in NA and Europe: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420591

Famitsu article: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201102/03039973.html

duckroll said:
Armored Core V screens:

S2gjy.jpg

BbdsL.jpg

zzNNa.jpg

Y4CS5.jpg

Online Conquest Mode:

TQHHO.jpg

GN9rG.jpg

Commander Interface:

c3cJX.jpg
SolidSnakex said:

Pooya

that sounds exactly like Chromehounds :eek:

with Bamco event tomorrow, I think we will get some footage/trailers from this and Dark Soul

hteng

Banned
yessssss newsss!!!!

and yes co-operative play in AC has been longed for, ACFA's co-op wasn't that impressive (its rather short).

gonna search for scans! can't wait for new parts!

hteng

Banned
Nobiru said:
This is only awesome if it plays like Chromehounds, and not like Armored Core.

if you have followed the debut trailer you would know it doesn't play like slow ass chromehounds.

Danneee

Well, then that is off the buy list then. Can a small franchise like AC really rely on focusing on online play?
It's too bad though as I was really looking forward to it (loved FA), now I need to satisfy my mech need elsewhere..

edit: As long as the single player option isn't some kind of tutorial for the MP part I'm game.

hteng

Banned
hopefully Q1 2011, game has been warped in shadows for more than a year now, it was announced back in 2010 Jan and was slated to release by 2010, but was pushed to 2011.

damn and there's SRWZ2 coming out on April.

duckroll

hteng said:
hopefully Q1 2011, game has been warped in shadows for more than a year now, it was announced back in 2010 Jan and was slated to release by 2010, but was pushed to 2011.

damn and there's SRWZ2 coming out on April.

I don't think it's going to be Q1 or they would have said "Spring 2011" or something. AC5 and Dark Souls are probably both coming out in Fall/Winter.

Danneee said:
Well, then that is off the buy list then. Can a small franchise like AC really rely on focusing on online play?
It's too bad though as I was really looking forward to it (loved FA), now I need to satisfy my mech need elsewhere..

This makes no sense whatsoever. Chromehounds was an even smaller franchise with all focus on multiplayer and the community was great.

KTallguy

Banned
There will be a single player mode anyway.
The problem with AC4 multiplayer is that shit was flying around too quickly to easily coordinate, I think. Chromehounds being slower helped in that regard.

If AC5 is a little slower paced, maybe more tribesish, it could be really fun.

And the weapons would need to be balanced a bit more, maybe some kind of class limit like GT5 does with car classes. Or maybe each weapon has a value and you can't go over it.Or simply have the option to ban overpowered weapons.

hteng

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't think it's going to be Q1 or they would have said "Spring 2011" or something. AC5 and Dark Souls are probably both coming out in Fall/Winter.

well that certainly sucks :(

KTallguy said:
There will be a single player mode anyway.
The problem with AC4 multiplayer is that shit was flying around too quickly to easily coordinate, I think. Chromehounds being slower helped in that regard.

If AC5 is a little slower paced, maybe more tribesish, it could be really fun.

And the weapons would need to be balanced a bit more, maybe some kind of class limit like GT5 does with car classes. Or maybe each weapon has a value and you can't go over it.Or simply have the option to ban overpowered weapons.

I remember reading an interview a while back where this was addressed, it will be slower.

Desi

Danneee said:
edit: As long as the single player option isn't some kind of tutorial for the MP part I'm game.
I don't know. Honestly I am kind of tired of the same two plots that get used in the AC series. 1) Alien Technology 2) Rogue AI. Still I have not played For Answer yet so I am not quite sure what to expect other than what I have seen from the trailers of AC5 and FA videos. On another note I still prefer the control system from AC3 over AC4's.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Mechs were the least cool part of Chromehounds...

hteng

Banned
Desi said:
I don't know. Honestly I am kind of tired of the same two plots that get used in the AC series. 1) Alien Technology 2) Rogue AI. Still I have not played For Answer yet so I am not quite sure what to expect other than what I have seen from the trailers of AC5 and FA videos. On another note I still prefer the control system from AC3 over AC4's.

neither of those plot elements were in AC4 and AC4A. The plots were mainly political driven and corporation rivalry. Neither alien tech nor any AI was involved. It's just a shitty place to be with all the kojima polution and wars going on.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
recklessmind said:
Mechs were the least cool part of Chromehounds...

No way, the mech building in that game was genius. I made some seriously effed up shit. My crowning achievement was managing to fit 6 of the heaviest howitzer artillery cannons on a single mech. I could one shot any thing I ran into (other then those crazy boss bots that cropped up from time to time).

Sinatar said:
No way, the mech building in that game was genius. I made some seriously effed up shit. My crowning achievement was managing to fit 6 of the heaviest howitzer artillery cannons on a single mech. I could one shot any thing I ran into (other then those crazy boss bots that cropped up from time to time).

That sounds like the kind of mech combat I hope gets nipped in the bud for AC5. I appreciate firing for effect, but damn!

hteng

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
That sounds like the kind of mech combat I hope gets nipped in the bud for AC5. I appreciate firing for effect, but damn!

until someone blades your arse to pieces.

hteng said:
until someone blades your arse to pieces.

Which is another thing I kinda lament about the newer ACs. I liked the slightly slower pace of the earlier games. I just hope a nice balance is struck with this tasty new game!

Pylon_Trooper said:
I liked the slightly slower pace of the earlier games.

Funny, I didn't get into the AC games until AC4 and For answer for their faster style of gameplay. I for one hope they still stay fast.

Raide

Sounds good but this is AC we are talking about. It might have features that suggest Chrome Hounds 2 but it will be mechs boosting around and shooting billions of missiles and lasers. Unless they have the slower pace and heaviness of CH, it will just be another AC game. Not to say that is bad but it won't be CH2.

5 player teams?

/me grabs the door frame

Slow down Japan!

The room is spinning.

Hope this turns out well. AC4 series was more than a bit rubbish.

LOL @ Chromehounds fanboys. GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN!

If this nails the fast paced play of AC1-MoA that will be awesome.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sinatar said:

The customization, progression, building... all with your squad being able to come in and give you feedback in real time... that was amazing.

The actual mech gameplay... not so much. Although the limitations (and focus) on communication during a match was fucking ingenious.

Everything about CH was ingenious. Except I don't really like mechs. I've been begging for years to have some devs copy the CH format because it's so good and would work so well with almost any kind of gameplay. A bland-ass boring FPS would be elevated instantly by the CH format...

So I --FINALLY!-- read thread title that says dev is looking at the CH model and then... yeah... it's another mech game. hahaha. :(

Still... I'm 100% behind this if they really do a good job sticking to the best parts of the CH model. I will buy two fucking copies, I swear to god, if they get it right. Mechs can be fun. It either (imo) has to be real sim like Steel Battalion or very action oriented like Z.O.E.

I think it's hard to be in the middle... Chromehounds didn't have the right mix for compelling gameplay and I haven't like the last few AC games either.

But anything to do with CH still gets my 100% attention and support.

The Take Out Bandit said:
5 player teams?

/me grabs the door frame

Slow down Japan!

The room is spinning.

Hope this turns out well. AC4 series was more than a bit rubbish.

LOL @ Chromehounds fanboys. GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN!

If this nails the fast paced play of AC1-MoA that will be awesome.

Haha this post is so funny. :)

hteng

Banned
sorry for bumping, the scans are out, it's very blurry but fuck it looks very very good.

the scans show several ACs traversing city blocks, since the mechs are smaller in scale now, it makes the environment that much better at strategic gameplay.

and there are several screens with a huge map that shows unit deployment, probably to be utilized by the commander.

seriously hype for this!!!!

1296605018741.jpg

mods, i think this is an ad, if it's inappropriate, please remove it. sorry for inconvenience

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So the main focus will be multilayer? Kind of like TF2? Except they added AI if you want single player? Do not want if this is the case, multilayer is not a strong point for AC.... but now I think about it, the story was never that good to begin with.

Really hoping they can made a great lengthy single player game like ZOE.

Sinatar said:
Oooh those look big and slow... interest rising.

The nice thing about Armored Core, the better releases in the series, is you could design the AC to fit your play style.

Not get screwed with one size fits all generic mecha.

More elaborate stages sounds nice as the past few AC games have had terrible stage design and lacked the tactical shenanigans of the first three AC games (AC-MoA).

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
hteng said:
sorry for bumping, the scans are out, it's very blurry but fuck it looks very very good.

the scans show several ACs traversing city blocks, since the mechs are smaller in scale now, it makes the environment that much better at strategic gameplay.

and there are several screens with a huge map that shows unit deployment, probably to be utilized by the commander.

seriously hype for this!!!!

1296605018741.jpg

mods, i think this is an ad, if it's inappropriate, please remove it. sorry for inconvenience

oh my.

YES.

Hype +++ The track tank types have always been my mechs in the AC series.

wwm0nkey said:
For Answer was some serious BS in the difficulty department though lol.

AC+Chromehounds=holy grail of mech games though.
if you add the Steel Battalion controller.

because that shit owned souls.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm excited about an armored core game focused on online mp, but chromehounds fans expecting a chromehounds substitute are setting themselves up for disappointment -- ac is just a very different proposition

Top Bottom