• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC's new primetime drama "Good Christian Bitches"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper

The new show is basically Desperate Housewives, except with rich, republican, Christian southerner women getting up to no good.

It centers on Amanda Vaughn, a recently divorced mother of two who, to get a fresh start, moves back to the affluent Dallas neighborhood where she grew to find herself in the whirling midst of salacious gossip, Botox, and fraud.

Darren Star (creator of 90210 & Melrose Place, and adapting Sex and the City to television) is heading Good Christian Bitches.

Should be good.

Dresden

Some white women and a token colored lady in mini skirts fucking plumbers and pool boys for a middle-aged audience. I am excited.

Uh.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah, no way this title will be around for very long.

I expect a press release stating that someone "goofed" on the earlier press release and changed the title.

KamenSenshi

If this is real, please please please please please find a way to keep that title. lol
Would watch an episode just for that.

Something tells me people aren't going to be happy about this. I actually shudder to think what exec would greenlight this lol.

This is definitely a joke or a troll or something.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I swear these execs just can't stop giggling and congratulating themselves on greenlighting pilots of shows with temp titles including curse words. There have been a bunch of these scooped up, none with original ideas or anything, just the same generic shit with an edgy title, which will never make it to the broadcast version anyway.

Likewise, it seems writers are joining the fun and seeing it as a super easy and cheap way to get some attention.

exarkun

A show about extreme excess? With white Christian women? It has to be Highland Park in Dallas!

*does research*

Yesssssss. I was wondering when they would notice the pearl of texas.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Really....? I find it pretty hard to believe a major broadcasting channel to put a show like this on their network. I assume this show is about mocking Christians and how "fake" they are right? I mean 90% of TV shows already do this, but to make an entire show around this premise and put a derogatory word associated in it in the title of the show is... just messed up.

I mean, even AthiestGAF has to agree this is pretty poor form. Nobody would be okay with a major TV station putting out a show mocking their beliefs like this.

I really doubt that this will make it.

AMUSIX

Jasper said:
The new show is basically Desperate Housewives, except with rich, republican, Christian southerner women getting up to no good.

It centers on Amanda Vaughn, a recently divorced mother of two who, to get a fresh start, moves back to the affluent Dallas neighborhood where she grew to find herself in the whirling midst of salacious gossip, Botox, and fraud.

Darren Star (creator of 90210 & Melrose Place, and adapting Sex and the City to television) is heading Good Christian Bitches.

≠

Should be good.

KtSlime

Adam Prime said:
Really....? I find it pretty hard to believe a major broadcasting channel to put a show like this on their network. I assume this show is about mocking Christians and how "fake" they are right? I mean 90% of TV shows already do this, but to make an entire show around this premise and put a derogatory word associated in it in the title of the show is... just messed up.

I mean, even AthiestGAF has to agree this is pretty poor form. Nobody would be okay with a major TV station putting out a show mocking their beliefs like this.

I'm not sure it is poor form per se; some beliefs do deserve to be made fun of... That being said, I doubt it will ever make it to air.

Adam Prime said:

christian-oppression-pie-chart.gif

90% of shows make fun of Christians? seriously? you think too highly of yourself.

NekoFever

I could see it getting made with a different title - Good Christian Women works just as well, and had added irony points.

Dennis

Banned
threenote said:
Imagine if there was a "good Muslim bitches show"

the shitstorm would be amazing.
Then the very same gaffers who find this hilarious would be going out of their minds with outrage. Double standard for the win.

Pissing on Christianity is A-OK but not any other religion as far I can tell. Quite annoying double standard to be honest. And I am completely non-religious myself.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DevelopmentArrested said:
90% of shows make fun of Christians? seriously? you think too highly of yourself.

Not just Christians, ANY religion. Name any/prime time television shows that paint any religion or "spiritual people" in a positive light.

I understand shows like Family Guy, South Park, etc. make a living on making fun of other people's beliefs and such, but this is different to make a show where the title of the show of an open mockery of people's beliefs.

It's one thing to make fun of Agnostics in an episode of South Park, to make a TV show: "Agnostic Scientists Who have Their Head up their Ass" and the entire premise of the show if a guy being blatantly negative stereotype for comedy would be quite different and pretty wrong if you ask me.

I could see it getting made with a different title - Good Christian Women works just as well, and had added irony points.

Agreed. The premise of the show would be messed up... but yeah I agree I could see this show working with just a different title altogether. Wouldn't make it any more right.

Frankly, I'm not offended by a Christian. I mean, I'm not going to watch the show - I just find it brave to name a show this.

sangreal

Adam Prime said:
Not just Christians, ANY religion. Name any/prime time television shows that paint any religion or "spiritual people" in a positive light.

I remember this show called 7th Heaven...

Alucrid

Banned
Adam Prime said:

If you're not a worthless sad-sack Christian, what do you have to worry about?

Plumbob

Adam Prime said:

Given that you're going to heaven and we're not...why you mad? Relax, live and let live, [insert something Jesus would say here], etc.

Desperado

Adam Prime said:
It's one thing to make fun of Agnostics in an episode of South Park, to make a TV show: "Agnostic Scientists Who have Their Head up their Ass" and the entire premise of the show if a guy being blatantly negative stereotype for comedy would be quite different and pretty wrong if you ask me.
You mean "House"?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
sangreal said:
I remember this show called 7th Heaven...

lol yeah that's the best example, that's really sad.

If you're not a worthless sad-sack Christian, what do you have to worry about?

... Did I say that I was going to burn down ABC or something? I'm not worried about a thing. I just simply stated in my post:

"I really doubt that this will make it."

I was just commenting on the story like everyone else. Lots of people who are more thin-skinned than I am are going to be offended and I doubt this show will make it to ABC. Unless they change the name of the show, then I can see this flying under the radar.

I'm not upset or offended, just having a discussion of the news, like everyone else here!

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Adam Prime said:
I give permission to anyone to make fun of me. In fact, I'm pitching a television show called "Make up your fucking mind, asshole" to CBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom