• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready At Dawn, Sony Santa Monica Talk About The PSP2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey, Ready At Dawn, you made a lot of PSP games. What do you think about the PSP2?

1UP said:
"I have a smile on my face whenever we talk about the NGP because I think overall that console has the potential to really define what portable gaming is. You know, we did that also with the PS3 and all that, but the NGP -- not only with the touch screen capability, but the screen, and just the capacity of actually making a game that's probably better than PS3 games that you can make right now -- for me, it's like the thing. For portable gaming I don't think there's anything else in the future."

--Ready at Dawn creative director Ru Weerasuriya, best known for his work on PSP games Daxter, God of War: Chains of Olympus, and God of War: Ghost of Sparta. For the record, he won't tell us whether his studio currently has NGP development kits.
Source: http://www.1up.com/news/photo-gallery-quotes-dice?pager.offset=6

Wow, what a ridiculously glowing review of a game platform. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Ready At Dawn is making a PSP2 game.

But what could they be making? I know, let's ask Stig!

1UP said:
"Umm, it does make a lot of sense... I read all the message boards, and basically when that stuff was announced everybody was crying for God of War. And I put my name on one of those message boards as well. I think it makes a lot of sense."

--Sony Santa Monica game director Stig Asmussen, responding to our incredibly leading question, "God of War on NGP -- that probably makes sense, doesn't it?" [And yes, we're aware that picture is terrible.]
Source: http://www.1up.com/news/photo-gallery-quotes-dice?pager.offset=7

Edit:

As a note, Ready At Dawn was making a new IP for HD consoles that never seemed to sign a publisher, so their game could as be that.

I just found the Stig comment amusing considering it came right after the previous comment.

So are they going to make an NGP God of War game, make a big deal about never making another one, then make another one anyways?

I hope they're not making another God of War. I'd really like to see RaD work on their own IP now. Plus God of War's gameplay isn't deep enough to support that much sequels.

StuBurns said:
I'll be buying whatever Ready at Dawn make, if it's GoW PSP2 or not, but I hope it is.
i'd kind of like to see them make something original actually. obviously whatever they make should be good though judging from their track record.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The awful thing about the NGP is that all the big money will be going into graphics, and not the features which are actually offering new gameplay. Few publishers are going to bankroll some experimental idea when they can just slap an Unreal FPS/PS3 port on there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RockmanWhore said:
I hope they're not making another God of War. I'd really like to see RaD work on their own IP now. Plus God of War's gameplay isn't deep enough to support that much sequels.
plagiarize said:
i'd kind of like to see them make something original actually. obviously whatever they make should be good though judging from their track record.
rainking187 said:
So are they going to make an NGP God of War game, make a big deal about never making another one, then make another one anyways?
They were making a new IP for consoles that seemed like it was never picked up by a publisher.

Their game could as be that.

Corto

One thing is for certain I'll buy a Ready at Dawn game for the NGP on day one no questions asked. They're that good. It can be GoW or another IP doesn't matter. And just thinking of what they will be able to do with all the power and features of the NGP makes me drool profusely.

Ushojax said:
The awful thing about the NGP is that all the big money will be going into graphics, and not the features which are actually offering new gameplay. Few publishers are going to bankroll some experimental idea when they can just slap an Unreal FPS/PS3 port on there.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if RaD would do the same. They're supposed to have some nice engine that runs on most plateform, so maybe their next game will appear on NGP too.

Celsior

Sony developers like a Sony system, it shocks me everything this happens.

I know RAD is not owned by Sony, but the only non PSP they did was a port of a game to the Wii

rvy

Banned
Do these fellas have to earn the right to make a new ip too? I thought that kind of stuff was exclusive to Activision. The again, maybe they don't want to.

Xellos

I wouldn't mind another God of War game if they overhaul the series and ditch Kratos, the chaos blades, and the Greek mythology. The GoW games are really well made but they're all (more or less) the same.

Takao

Banned
rvy said:
Do these fellas have to earn the right to make a new ip too? I thought that kind of stuff was exclusive to Activision. The again, maybe they don't want to.

Gotta pay the bills

They've been working on new IPs for years, but no one has bitten on them.

StuBurns

Banned
rvy said:
They've been working on some original stuff, they had some trouble getting a publisher apparently.

EDIT: Beaten.

Mrbob

I know Ready at Dawn has been wanting to move into consoles and not having good luck despite all their portable success. The PSP2 is a way now for them to deliver PS3 level game they have been wanting to do for awhile.

I do find the comment interesting that it might be easier to make a "next gen" game on PSP2 versus the PS3.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mrbob said:
I know Ready at Dawn has been wanting to move into consoles and not having good luck despite all their portable success. The PSP2 is a way now for them to deliver PS3 level game they have been wanting to do for awhile.

I do find the comment interesting that it might be easier to make a "next gen" game on NGP versus the PS3.
The NGP tech is probably far more familiar compared than the PS3 hardware.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
RockmanWhore said:

Well, they could always, like, make it deeper.

Spiegel

Awesome news.
Reading their latest interviews it seemed like they weren't interested on NGP.

If they have to make a GOW game I hope they can take liberties with the gameplay and narrative now that Kratos' story is finished.

I'm hoping for a new IP though.

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:
They were making a new IP for consoles that seemed like it was never picked up by a publisher.

Their game could as be that.

I hope so. I'd love to see what these guys do when they create a new IP.

rvy

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Well, they could always, like, make it deeper.
How would that work then? The millions of people who bought the games for their accessibility would stop buying it?

Shanadeus

Banned
"I have a smile on my face whenever we talk about the NGP because I think overall that console has the potential to really define what portable gaming is. You know, we did that also with the PS3 and all that

So they're going to define portable gaming with the PSP2 the same way they defined console gaming with the PS3?

Could someone enlighten me how exactly they defined console gaming with the PS3?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
zoukka said:
The more I read this kind of stuff the less I'm interested of the device.
Because it'll have a few big-budget console-esqe games? Oh brother.

NGP has the potential to be the home to pretty much any type of game you want to play. Playstation Suite could bring in the popular iOS/mobile games, the touchscreen can bring the kind of unique DS experiences to the NGP, and the power/hardware can bring home console ports to the handheld.

Metal B

Shanadeus said:
So they're going to define portable gaming with the PSP2 the same way they defined console gaming with the PS3?
Could someone enlighten me how exactly they defined console gaming with the PS3?

Pretty graphics.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm ok with whatever they make, but they made some darn good God of War titles, so more of that would be fine :)

I just hope if they make a PSP2 GoW it doesn't sell like Ghost of Sparta. Such a shame for a really solid GoW entry.

Yea, cause that's what we need :D PS3 level games on portables :D let's just fuck up all the budgets and drive all companies out of business :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
zoukka said:
I'm gonna wager on more than "few".

The SCE lineup so far is pretty 50:50 between stuff that's quite clearly 'portable-console'-ish and stuff that's of a more distinctly handheld ilk.

People seem to ignore that, or seem so fixated on these games that they ignore the others, and rush to beat on this drum about console-esque games.

All of this content has a role to play. All of it's welcome as far as I'm concerned. There's no point in saying 'I wish we had less Uncharted and Killzones' - Sony Bend isn't going to turn around and make a brain training game, they are going to make something more console like, whatever the IP involved. If the balance tipped too far in either direction you have a problem, but I think they've very deliberately split their lineup so far, and quite deliberately pointed out how even the console-ish stuff can be done differently now.

I would bet between retail, PSN and Suite content, that the balance will remain very even - at least - between console-like experiences and more short-form, bespoke-handheld type content.

StuBurns

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
Yea, cause that's what we need :D PS3 level games on portables :D let's just fuck up all the budgets and drive all companies out of business :)
Developers/Publishers have assets at that quality from PS360 games. I bet PSP2 games (if there is an entry in that series on PS360) will be very reasonable to produce. I imagine that's how Sony are positioning it to third parties.

btkadams

Colocho said:
I don't care what anyone says, the PSP2 is gonna be fucking awesome (for my tastes at least)
it has the potential to have, IMO, the largest variety of gaming possible right now so i'm really stoked as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ushojax said:
I actually think we'll get more of a 60/40 blend.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sipowicz said:
holy shit! more watered down ps3 games

it's what i always wanted in a handheld. sony is the best!

Why do the NGP games for such franchises have to be any more 'watered down' than the franchise games you have cried out in support of elsewhere? I'd say if anything the potential for more 'first class' experiences is much higher here.

Top Bottom