• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

de Blob 2 |OT| Press A to jump!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
gXloz.png

Publisher: THQ
Developer: Blue Tongue Entertainment
Platforms: Wii, 360, PS3, DS
Genre: Platformer
Modes: Single-player, multi-player

Release dates:
*NA February 22
*EU February 25
*AU February 24
DS: 29.99 USD, Wii: 39.99, PS3/360 49.99
0T5q9.jpg
HjPIT.jpg
AbUaL.jpg
oY4al.jpg

BmzxO.png

Comrade Black has returned. After de Blob foiled his attempts to conquer Chroma City in the last game, he's decided to take over the exotic Prisma City from the inside out. Reinventing himself under the name of Papa Blanc, he's started a brainwashing cult to turn the Raydians into drones, get himself elected to Prisma City's highest office, and ultimately drain the region of all of its color. And so things come down to de Blob to once again restore peace, safety, and color to the world.

VPx65.png

Paint the World
Similar to the first de Blob, the game is roughly a platformer, but rather then placing its focus on pinpoint jumps or tight reflexes, the game revolves around navigating the sections of the metropolis and splattering all manner of paint and pattern over the drab buildings. Blob stomps paint-sucking bots to absorb paint and change his color, and the game's scoring system rewards you for painting with as much variety and style as possible. Possibly the biggest news of all for returning players however: even on the Wii version jumping is mapped to a button!
Help the Revolution
Your fellow members of the Color Underground need help to take back the city. As you explore each level, they'll offer you missions that you can accept or ignore at your leisure. Arty asks you to help her pain buildings specific colors and patterns, Biff tasks you with taking out the inky troopers roaming the streets, Zip has you racing around at top speed, and the Prof sends you into major landmarks to transform them from the inside out.
And Get Help from a Friend
Similar to Super Mario Galaxy, de Blob 2 allows a second player to take control of Blob's robotic sidekick Pinky, who can help him out by bringing him powerups and dealing with enemies.
Explore Inside Prisma City
New to the second game are a few important elements though: interior buildings and power-ups. The first are the most noticeably obvious, for many buildings have actual interiors that you fall into, and must transform from the inside. These interiors are all in 2D, and all feature simple to moderate puzzle gameplay, where you have to navigate hazards and diluting water to paint surfaces or switches certain colors.
Upgrade de Blob
The second addition are the powerups, which give Blob abilities ranging from ink-proof bubbles to dash attacks. Over the course of the game Blob will transform into a magnetic ball that rolls up walls, to a miniature black hole that sucks in everything around him. These powerups can be ranked up between levels, giving de Blob a progression over the course of the game.

I only own a Nintendo DS. What about me?
The DS version is an entirely different game. Players will be wall-jumping and slingshotting their way through pure 2D platforming levels in a prequel story that covers the events between the two console games.

9M8XN.png

One of the best parts of the first de Blob was its soundtrack, described by musical experts* as “ jazzy”, “snazzy” and “funk-a-licious”, which dynamically increased in intensity as you painted, with instruments corresponding to colors coming in and out. For the sequel the developers have wisely brought back the same team to handle the music. Like the first game, the soundtrack will be released as a limited edition vinyl for the serious collectors, as well as probably getting a digital release somewhere down the line. Here are a few samples critics** are calling groov-tastic:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSso7bru7KE

*Me

** Still me

0y5bW.png

Impressions
PALGN

Video:
GiantBomb Quick Look
IGN preview

Screens:

zDCMY.png

Cheat Code Central
4.4 / 5
I had more fun with de Blob 2 than any other platformer since the original Super Mario Galaxy. It's not the most high-profile game on store shelves, but if you're in the market for a unique game with an awesome presentation and a great personality, you simply can't do any better than de Blob 2.

Nintendo World Repor
The improvements made in de Blob 2 make it a much stronger game than the first, but likely won't be enough to convince players who were jaded after the first game. If you enjoyed the first game and are raring for more, you should definitely check out the sequel, as it improves the game's weak aspects and highlights what's great about it.

Eurogamer
8/10
It's an endearing, creative and charismatic platformer with an abundance of bright ideas and the wisdom not to overplay any of them. It's just what you need in the middle of a dull, grey February.

EDGE
8/10

IGN
Wii version - 8.0

DS version 7.5

GamesRadar

Videogamer.com
While the game insists on holding your hand a little too tightly and the time limits can cause a lot of unnecessary stress, de Blob 2 remains a solid platform game with an interesting mechanic at its core. Watching the grey sprawl of Prisma City slowly spring into life is hugely satisfying, a testament to the strength of the painting mechanic.

The first one is still my go-to cheer-me-up game. Of course I got the first one for a Christmas present, so I don't know how I feel about spending $50 of my own money on this one...

Hiltz

I forgot that this game is coming out later this month. Good thing I've got some gift cards saved up.

I did like the first game despite the simplistic and repetitive gameplay and the unnecessary use of motion control for jumping. The graphics, story, and music were cool.

legend166

This will be the next game I buy once I wrap up a couple from the backlog (Assassin's Creed 2, Epic Mickey and New Vegas).

Really looking forward to it.

The Technomancer

Lijik said:
Only when I want it to be
I just don't want to be the only person on GAF with a de Blob 2 promotional T-shirt

I got mine from following them on facebook. I'm a tad hyped for this game

Lijik

The_Technomancer said:
I just don't want to be the only person on GAF with a de Blob 2 promotional T-shirt

I got mine from following them on facebook. I'm a tad hyped for this game
I got it for sending them art on facebook. We're in the same boat

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From what I've played of deBlob 2 I can summarise it as thus; it has every single charm and good idea from the first game, seems to have ditched every single bad idea in favour of something infinitey superior, and has a metric shit-ton more variety in ideas and concepts.

Unless the game does a complete 180 of my experience, deBlob 2 should be nothing short of an objectively superior game to the original. If you liked the original at all I fail to see any way you wont love this one. Its the first game...only bigger, better, with more variety and polish.

Also, speaking to the team really showed how passionate they are about deBlob. Dont for a second think this is some shitty cash-in from the success of the first. Nick Hagger fully acknowledged all the pros and cons of the original and is really keen to take this to the next level.

It will be great. I promise. If you want to, check out my preview from late last year.

Snuggler said:
Ooh, Move controls? I'll keep my eye on this one, never played the first one.
Don't know why Move controls would be a selling point, considering the motion control was one of the most panned aspects of the original. I am thankful this one is designed with a more traditional control scheme in mind. Oh, and thank God they added more checkpoints. I stopped playing the first one after the second time it froze on me while trying to collect 100% in an hour long level without them.

EatChildren said:
From what I've played of deBlob 2 I can summarise it as thus; it has every single charm and good idea from the first game, seems to have ditched every single bad idea in favour of something infinitey superior, and has a metric shit-ton more variety in ideas and concepts.

Unless the game does a complete 180 of my experience, deBlob 2 should be nothing short of an objectively superior game to the original. If you liked the original at all I fail to see any way you wont love this one. Its the first game...only bigger, better, with more variety and polish.

Also, speaking to the team really showed how passionate they are about deBlob. Dont for a second think this is some shitty cash-in from the success of the first. Nick Hagger fully acknowledged all the pros and cons of the original and is really keen to take this to the next level.

It will be great. I promise. If you want to, check out my preview from late last year.
Excellent news. Thanks for the impressions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rush2thestart said:
I have a bad feeling this is going to mega bomb. THQ has done nothing to get awareness out. =/

THQ have huge plans for de Blob. Like, cartoon series huge.

EatChildren

Rush2thestart said:
Well its a week from release and THQ has been silent on the game. I'm just wondering what gives.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I dont know the ins and outs of their advertising, or how much they will be. I'm just going off what I was told and what I saw late last year.

Nabs said:
How's the save system?

No idea sorry. We were just selecting levels and what have you. Checkpoint system seems significantly better.

Hagger said that they were aware of the long stretches of the first game and wanted to really cut those back with a quicker pace, more variety, and stuff like that, just for the people who want to really go through the core experience, but at the same time have tons of secrets and extra content that can be found in the levels for those who want an experience closer to the original.

Oh, and for the record, changing the jump to a button works so much better. Sooo much better.

EatChildren said:
Oh, and for the record, changing the jump to a button works so much better. Sooo much better.
Is there still at least an option to map the jump to waggle for that "classic" feel? It's a minor nitpick, but as shaky as it was, there was something visceral about physically flicking and having the reacting jump, IMO.

EatChildren

CrunchyFrog said:
Is there still at least an option to map the jump to waggle for that "classic" feel? It's a minor nitpick, but as shaky as it was, there was something visceral about physically flicking and having the reacting jump, IMO.

We played the 360 version, but I did bring it up, and as of my hands-on preview last year they were undecided if they were going to allow the original flick as an option. I suggested that they do, if just for the people who are used to and prefer that control scheme, but I dont know what their decision was.

EatChildren said:
We played the 360 version, but I did bring it up, and as of my hands-on preview last year they were undecided if they were going to allow the original flick as an option. I suggested that they do, if just for the people who are used to and prefer that control scheme, but I dont know what their decision was.
Fair enough, then. Guess we'll know for sure in a week

crispyben

Can't wait for the 25th, I haven't been this hyped for a game in a while... I wish we had more info on the differences between the Wii and PS360 versions, and even on the DS one. Maybe some recent videos? That way I'd know if I'll double or maybe triple dip!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Multiplatform? :D

I don't know whether I should go for this game on Wii or PS3 now. MoveLess here, so Wii might be the better choice, but maybe it works fine with a gamepad.

caligula13

Gold Member
so, if jumping is a button now what's left over for the motion controls?

i will have to buy it for the ps3 because i want to play it in 3d

Nabs

Joey Fox said:

I don't know whether I should go for this game on Wii or PS3 now. MoveLess here, so Wii might be the better choice, but maybe it works fine with a gamepad.

Probably PS3

EatChildren

Joey Fox said:

It shouldn't make a huge difference, unless you really want motion controls. I played it with the 360 pad and it controlled very well.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I think maybe I don't really want motion controls.

Something about jumping off of walls bothered me on Wii. Maybe I would miss something lacking pointer controls, but I doubt it.

zigg

Didn't I hear somewhere they were considering a 3DS version? Or am I going senile in my old age?

I'd absolutely buy a port of the console version for $40 on that system, even if it meant waiting a few months. I must say I am not really hot on the DS game, though... I tried it a little at E3 and it didn't really feel right.

caligula13

Gold Member
zigg said:
Didn't I hear somewhere they were considering a 3DS version? Or am I going senile in my old age?

I'd absolutely buy a port of the console version for $40 on that system, even if it meant waiting a few months. I must say I am not really hot on the DS game, though... I tried it a little at E3 and it didn't really feel right.

the 3DS version would stop me from buying it for ps3 or xbox360. it would be in 3d and cheaper

sfog

I hope the Wii version isn't significantly gimped now due to its multiplatform release. The original game was outstanding in spite of its flaws.

zigg

sfog said:
I hope the Wii version isn't significantly gimped now due to its multiplatform release. The original game was outstanding in spite of its flaws.

That's the version they had on display at E3 and it was all good. I imagine it'll be the same game all 'round.

The Technomancer

sfog said:
I think I remember them saying something to the effect of the Wii being the lead development platform, and the PS3/360 versions being essentially up-ports with better AA, resolution and draw distance.

Sadist

Wait, first impressions say this game is better than the first one? Awesome.

I like the original, but nearing the end of it was a bit dull. Loved the soundtrack. Seeing my Wii as of this point won't get a lot of good releases, de Blob 2 is on my "to play" list. After Kirby's Epic Yarn ofcourse. (trolololol Europe)

El-Suave

Preordered it online today due to this thread reminding me.
It'll make a nice contrast to the shooter fare that's on shelves (and in part in my PS3) at the same time.

GREAT OP! :)

I loved the first game and I want to know if this game would be a good reason to buy a move and play it on the ps3.
So if anyone is trying this let us know in the thread.

EatChildren

The_Technomancer said:
So EatChildren, does PALGN have a review copy? Are you reviewing this one, or do you know the person who is?

We dont have a review copy yet. Not sure when/if we're getting one, or who'll be reviewing it. Obviously I'd like to, as I enjoyed the first game, but we'll see. They might send us the 360 version or something, which would mean someone else would have to review it.

Top Bottom