• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #69 - "Tabula Rasa"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Theme - "Tabula Rasa"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 3/09 by 11:59 PM Pacific

Voting begins Thursday, 3/10, and goes until Sunday, 3/13 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Comedy-drama

Jack Lemmon said: "It's hard enough to write a good drama, it's much harder to write a good comedy, and it's hardest of all to write a drama with comedy. Which is what life is."

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

The Entries (thanks to Cyan):

viciouskillersquirrel - "Intersecting Paths"
ThoseDeafMutes - "Some Pretentious Latin Name"
ronito - "Gabriel or Mephistopheles?"
Shanadeus - "Multiple Manifold"
John Dunbar - "The Magnificent Marmaduke"
AnkitT - "Unmarked Memories"
Cyan - "Blackout"
crowphoenix - untitled
bengraven - "Fig Leaves Optional"
Tangent - "Snort"
Irish - "Immortal"
Ashes1396 - "Imaginary Roads"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Made a thread quickly after some Wikipedia searches to avoid temptation to come up with a theme for an idea, instead of vice-versa. :p

damn that's nice

A little confused... The theme is Tabula rasa, but it's supposed to be a work of fiction right? Just supposed to incorporate those themes into the story. Correct?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
ThoseDeafMutes said:
That's a pretty hefty theme crammed into a pretty stifling word-count. I'll see what I can do though.

I picked it since "Tabula rasa" just means "empty slate". It's not necessary to be the smart stuff.

Irish

Congratulations, John.

Heh, it looks like my recent trend has involved me drawing people in and then leaving them rather unsatisfied with the lack of substance. NeoGAF is like real life. :O

bengraven

Great job JD! You were my top pick as well. If I wasn't drinking and watching the Oscars I could have put my vote in. Glad to know at least ONE of my top picks ending up getting an award. :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Every time I see one of these threads I think to myself "I would like to do that this time!" and then I read the theme and go 'uuuuuuh...'. The only thing that is a blank slate is my mind :|

Maybe next time!

Irish

Jedeye Sniv said:
Every time I see one of these threads I think to myself "I would like to do that this time!" and then I read the theme and go 'uuuuuuh...'. The only thing that is a blank slate is my mind :|

Maybe next time!

Don't ever let the theme hold you back. Just tell the story you want to tell. This is a perfect challenge for that.

That 'blank slate' doesn't mean you have to write about an empty situation. Instead, it could mean that you are free to do as you wish. It's all about interpretation.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Irish said:
Don't ever let the theme hold you back. Just tell the story you want to tell. This is a perfect challenge for that.

That 'blank slate' doesn't mean you have to write about an empty situation. Instead, it could mean that you are free to do as you wish. It's all about interpretation.

Hmm yeah, that's an interesting way of putting it. I think I would like something that's a little closer to the theme itself but if nothing else comes I might just make something up. Need to sharpen my mind-pencils :)

Cyan

Banned
Hey, that was fast!

And we've already got a few new faces in here. Always nice to get a few more writers.

Dramedy... man. Comedy in the written word is really tough for me. I'll have to give it a go.

ronito

Oh my T'tonka, what a theme! I threw away my first 3 ideas within 5 minutes. That never happens.

However, I think I might sit out on the secondary objective if I don't sit this one out all together.
I'm clever enough to drama or comedy in 2000 words. But I'm not clever enough to do both.

Ashes

Banned
Congrats on the win J...
Crow you came second again. You must be the most consistent author on neogaf to come in the top two, which is I would say a hefty achievement. And Cyan, who came in again in the top three. Like Crow.. wait, you've won a lot of times, scratch that... :p
I came fourth again for the nth time... :/

as regards the theme: John Locke eh? as you might have guessed I have been reading him recently... nobody knows who Fred McCoughlin is... :(
And that -in addition to the poetry thread whose theme by Dresden, is death in the family- will be the last time, I write about death for a while.*

*Until the next time I write about death of course. Which may be this very thread. Darn you mental associations kicking up a ready made story.

During this insane period of waiting for validation from graduate schools, I'll take any praise I can get for my writing.

Cyan said:
Excuse me amigo, I believe there was a tie for 2nd. :p
I so almost voted myself into third.

Irish

Ashes1396 said:
Congrats on the win J...
Crow you came second again. You must be the most consistent author on neogaf to come in the top two, which is I would say a hefty achievement. And Cyan, who came in again in the top three. Like Crow.. wait, you've won a lot of times, scratch that... :p
I came fourth again for the nth time... :/

The real cool kids hang out at the bottom at 1 vote or less. Buncha goody two shoes there at the top.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Excuse me amigo, I believe there was a tie for 2nd. :p

:)

I said top three! not third

Irish said:
The real cool kids hang out at the bottom at 1 vote or less. Buncha goody two shoes there at the top.

:(. This Week I will try to be cool. :)

ronito

So I was telling the wife about the theme her first words were "Well I guess that means no more donkeys for you."

:(

Ashes

Banned
crowphoenix said:
It will be there in spirit.

If not there in body.

how about this for the first idea to throw away ronito?:

opening sentence...

A donkey's thoughts are like an empty slate.... tabula rasa the village idiot said one day...

Ashes1396 said:
If not there in body.

how about this for the first idea to throw away ronito?:

opening sentence...

A donkey's thoughts are like an empty slate.... tabula rasa the village idiot said one day...
This particular village idiot was fond of wise sayings, quotes and proverbs and didn't let the fact of his ignorance and illiteracy get in the way of his elucidation. Often, upon hearing a saying he liked and repeating it for the benefit of whomever he happened to be talking to, he would garble it in such a manner as to make it something wholly original, yet somehow containing a flawed pearl of good, if indecipherable, wisdom.

Too many cooks and not enough indians, he would say when some endeavour failed due to a lack of clear leadership. That's a whole different black pot of fish, was the automatic addendum to an irrelevant segue. A stitch at nine saves time went his admonishment to preparedness.

Above all, it was the absolute conviction and authority with which he said these things that distinguished him from his fellow villagers. Strangers to the place who didn't know his family history or his lack of education would often be fooled by his curiously polished speech and bearing and not know that they had in fact encountered a fool until fully minutes after they had finished speaking to him. Thinking about what the man actually said ruined the illusion.

That's pretty good - should I spin it off into a full story?

Jedeye Sniv said:

Maybe next time!
This is pretty much me whenever I eye these threads. I used to love writing quite a bit, but I've been suffering from pretty bad writer's block for some time now. I have the greatest of admiration for those who choose to participate in these contests though, I just wish I had your drive and persistence.

Ashes

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
This particular village idiot was fond of wise sayings, quotes and proverbs and didn't let the fact of his ignorance and illiteracy get in the way of his eludication. Often, upon hearing a saying he liked and repeating it for the benefit of whomever he happened to be talking to, he would garble it in such a manner as to make it something wholly original, yet somehow containing a flawed pearl of good, if indecipherable, wisdom.

Too many cooks and not enough indians, he would say when some endeavour failed due to a lack of clear leadership. That's a whole different black pot of fish, was the automatic addenum to an irrelevant segue. A stitch at nine saves time went his admonishment to preparedness.

Above all, it was the absolute conviction and authority with which he said these things that distinguished him from his fellow villagers. Strangers to the place who didn't know his family history or his lack of education would often be fooled by his curiously polished speech and bearing and not know that they had in fact encountered a fool until fully minutes after they had finished speaking to him. Thinking about what the man actually said ruined the illusion.

That's pretty good - should I spin it off into a full story?

Absolutely!

Even if it sounds like a dig at me. :(

ps. Immediate critique rogue in me has this to say:
If the wrong spellings are intentional, they can really be an eyesore; so you have to think really hard whether in balance, it's such a good idea.

Ashes1396 said:
Absolutely!

Even if it sounds like a dig at me. :(

ps. Immediate critique rogue in me has this to say:
If the wrong spellings are intentional, they can really be an eyesore; so you have to think really hard whether in balance, it's such a good idea.
Good catch. I just typed that up quickly and certain typos just popped out. The others might be because I use British spellings for the most part.

Ashes

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Good catch. I just typed that up quickly and certain typos just popped out. The others might be because I use British spellings for the most part.

I too type correctly. ;)

*runs from the donkey lovers, and the tavern republic!*

Ashes

Banned
crowphoenix said:
Rabble rabble rabble rabble.

well... erm....

Darn you; I can't think of anything to say to that! My mind is an empty slate!

I will return sir. We live to fight another day.

Cyan

Banned
All right, got a notion I like. Definitely planning on not waiting to the last minute this time. ;)

Irish

Cyan said:
All right, got a notion I like. Definitely planning on not waiting to the last minute this time. ;)

Keep telling yourself that, pal. I've tried for years now and it just doesn't work.

iavi

ALRIGHT! It took a little while, but I've got a serious foundation. Tis is going to be some mad fun.

Ashes

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
i dont get what's going on

Been reading Alice in wonderland. Feel childish.

I don't know about the others though. Some people may be a little bit tipsy. You have to be a bit tipsy to reference Willy Wonka.

Irish

Well, I have my idea ready for the most part, but I never really get the details laid out until I actually begin writing (which usually occurs around 11:30 EST on Wednesday night).

ThoseDeafMutes said:
How's everyone going?

My entry is content-complete but I want to go over it a few times before I post it up.
Ugh.

My entry is way over the word limit. I'm going to have to butcher it to get it under.

EDIT: Not that pleased with the result, to be honest. The beginning felt good, but the word limit really killed what I'd originally planned to do. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom