• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro is awesome, gives awesome interview about being awesome

GhaleonQ

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/interviews/yuzokoshiro.shtml

Example of his awesomeness:

Chris: ActRaiser was your breakthrough work as an orchestral composer. How did you create appropriate music to accompany both the platforming and simulation elements of this title? Was it a challenge to create such high definition orchestral sounds while using the Super Nintendo?

Yuzo Koshiro: I had not previously composed an orchestral score, so I went entirely by instinct. Although I was not really aiming to simulate an actual orchestra, I think what influenced the work was the fact that it was easier to recreate the string sound on the Super Nintendo than on FM synth. I didn't find the actual composition and sound design all that difficult on this project.

Summary: 1 of the great SNES soundtracks? Psh. Whatever. Simple.

I also forgot whether or not he's said that he outright hates writing music for "technologically advanced" equipment, but he's surprisingly docile about the 2 generations before his DS and PSP work.

7th Dragon is his favorite arranged album of his, too. Good man. They didn't ask any questions about Half-Minute Hero/Hero 30 Second. His contributions to the 1st were tops, and he's not on board for the 2nd as far as we know.

So, what's your favorite of his? Even his obscure stuff is fantastic, but I think 7th Dragon might be my most loved.

Excellent interview, very informative. I didn't know that he did the master system version of Sonic. I personally like his electronic pieces the best (streets of rage 2, revenge of shinobi) but that's because i'm a huge techno head. This man has range few other composers in the biz can match. Truly a visionary.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yuzo Koshiro: I had not previously composed an orchestral score, so I went entirely by instinct. Although I was not really aiming to simulate an actual orchestra, I think what influenced the work was the fact that it was easier to recreate the string sound on the Super Nintendo than on FM synth. I didn't find the actual composition and sound design all that difficult on this project.

It's a pity the reviewer doesn't have a background in music (or didn't choose to use it). I have a relatively poor knowledge of classical music and an absolutely terrible ear in general, but I'd have asked Koshiro about some of the compositional influences. I hear Gustav Holst's The Planets in several ActRaiser tracks, in particular Northwall. I'd be interested in knowing who else was an inspiration.

ElFly

Stumpokapow said:
It's a pity the reviewer doesn't have a background in music (or didn't choose to use it). I have a relatively poor knowledge of classical music and an absolutely terrible ear in general, but I'd have asked Koshiro about some of the compositional influences. I hear Gustav Holst's The Planets in several ActRaiser tracks, in particular Northwall. I'd be interested in knowing who else was an inspiration.

Is it an inspiration like the "inspiration" on Enigma, Hithouse and a few others in Streets of Rage 2?

I love that soundtrack, and game, but it is obvious some of the best parts of it were lifted from other songs wholesale.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
His music for Wangan Midnight is awesome, everything else is chocolate frosting on the double chocolate bomb cake.

randomkid

This guy sure is crazy talented, one of the greats for sure.

I wonder if he's still working on Mystery Room. I also wonder what the deal is with that game and whether there is any news on it at all such as: does it still exist? will it ever come out? will Koshiro's soundtrack for it be amazing?

Leckan

yuzo_koshiro.jpg

The SoR2 soundtrack made me appreciate gaming music on a whole different level. So for that alone he has my utmost admiration and respect. There isn't a track I've ever heard from him I just didn't like. Hopefully we'll hear much much more from him for a long time.

Seraphis Cain said:
If we're talking about amazing Koshiro music, this has to be included:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqLs4Iu9xc

One of his best, and terribly underrated. Fairly unknown, too.

Haven't played that one (or any Sega CD game for that matter), but that's a pretty catchy tune. Actually, I haven't played many of the games this man has written music for. : (

I've listened to some of his amazing work on Youtube though, and I'm especially fond of this Etrian Odyssey III track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilICGWcL8Oc

SamBishop

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
As much as I love his SoR and EO work, his Maximum Tune stuff just hits all the right chords with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpssmQuBGLQ

He does amazing electronic music.

His Trance stuff is beyond incredible. I'm a die-hard BT fan and I would put Koshiro's work up among some of the best Trance tracks out there despite utterly hating over-repetitive 4/4 beats and sequences. His stuff is just that good. No, really, THAT. GOOD.

[edit] Trance breaks and synth and COME ON, PEOPLE!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Stumpokapow said:

Damn, no wonder The Planets sounded so damn familiar. It didn't even cross my mind

I may be in the minority, but I LOVE SoR3's soundtrack. It felt very experimental and dirty. I just love that about the score in that game.

Izayoi

Banned
I adore his Etrian Odyssey stuff. Absolutely fantastic music.

I think it's because instead of fighting against the DS' sound limitations like so many try to do, he works with them.

It's something else.

Picking a favorite Koshiro soundtrack is tough. Really tough. I'm not good at ranking things usually.

I want to give it to Streets of Rage 2 because really, the soundtrack is a large part of why I consider it the best beat-em-up on the Genesis (and probably of the 16-bit era).

I want to give it to ActRaiser because the soundtrack helps to elevate the game's concept/theme--the creation of man and the rise of human civilization--from something merely "epic" in scope and concept to something truly epic and beautiful in practice. I've never played anything else like it.

I want to give it to Dragon Slayer IV/Legacy of the Wizard because it was my first game with a Koshiro soundtrack, and it was a good one. (I'll never finish it, though. Way too hard.)

I want to give it to Etrian Odyssey because (again) the music is a huge part of the game's incredible atmosphere and because the various arranged albums contain a few of the most-played tracks of anything on my iPod.

And I want to give it to Shenmue because, hey, one of my favorite gaming experiences and soundtracks of all time.

But I'll have to give it to...
Beyond Oasis

Just funnin'.

CecilMcW00t said:
I may be in the minority, but I LOVE SoR3's soundtrack. It felt very experimental and dirty. I just love that about the score in that game.

I got to admit that the music really grew on me after a while. I mean, it seems like it stuck with me for years and I never forgot about it for some reason. I thought the soundtrack was very experimental, unique, edgy and definitely pushed the sound capabilities of the Genesis to the limits. I like the fact that they tried something new. Quite a few games soundtracks these days imo sound to similar and cookie-cutter. The Poets, Dub Slash, Boss Theme, Igna Rasen, Shinobi Reverse, Cycle, Fuze and Disco tracks were some of my favorite tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ-2HneIRoI

:p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There's something magical about putting $2 into a cabinet, selecting a car and track, then hearing Feel the Moment blast into both eardrums whilst you're weaving in between traffic and racing 3 other drivers.

speedpop said:
There's something magical about putting $2 into a cabinet, selecting a car and track, then hearing Feel the Moment blast into both eardrums whilst you're weaving in between traffic and racing 3 other drivers.

I had never heard this soundtrack before. Instant fan.

cj_iwakura

Izayoi said:
Why does that sound so familiar? I know I haven't heard the game track before, but damn it's bugging the shit out of me.

Sounds like a rhythm later used in Jet Set Radio. Or was that Future?

kuroshiki said:
I loved his work in Street of rage 1 and 2, but 3 was just... it was just abomination. God.

3 has grown on me as I've gotten older. Some of the tracks I'll never appreciate (like the Disco music... ugh), but I like a lot of it.

It's nothing compared to the mastery of SoR2's music, of course. But I think that leads a lot of people to completely dismiss it, and that kind of sucks.

faridmon said:
It is sad that I am ot familiar with this guy or haven't played games that had him as composer.
If you only play western games, it wouldn't be surprising.

I guess the most popular game he had a hand in composing was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Did you play that.

faridmon

_dementia said:
If you only play western games, it wouldn't be surprising.

I guess the most popular game he had a hand in composing was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Did you play that.
Brawl doesn't count because that was basically every awsome composers project.

I just checked Wikipedia: HOLY CRAP! he is the one who did Actraiser.

*Salute*

faridmon said:
Brawl doesn't count because that was basically every awsome composers project.

I just checked Wikipedia: HOLY CRAP! he is the one who did Actraiser.

*Salute*
Actraiser is mentioned in the OP and the interview.

Top Bottom