• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nickelodeon to Begin Airing Late Night Block of '90s Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
kFWXml.jpg

As a child of the 90’s, I have fond memories of lounging around my room and watching non-stop Nickelodeon. Though many of my favorite shows like Rocko’s Modern Life, Doug and more have made it to DVD, some of these shows still aren’t easily available for nostalgic viewing. Well, that changes today as EW reports Nickelodeon is in the midst of establishing a late night block of programming on TeenNick to help kids at heart like myself journey back to the 90’s with all their favorite shows.

The titles mentioned include but may not be limited to Rugrats, Clarissa Explains It All, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, All That, Kenan & Kel and The Amanda Bynes Show. Though I’d like to see a little more Nicktoon action in the line-up, this is a great start to the programming block which is being dubbed The 90’s Are All That. You’ll be able to catch these reruns sometime this fall between midnight and 2am. ” Keith Dawkins, senior VP and general manager of TeenNick, said, “At the time, we were completely devoted to that audience ages 9, 10, and 11. It was ground-breaking and for the young viewers, a powerful and pivotal time in their lives. Those kids who are now 22, 23 and 24 want to bring that back.” I really can’t wait.
Searched and couldn't find anything.

Ilúvatar

Huzzah. I feel bad for the children of today, there is hardly any quality children's programming outside of Spongebob.

HELL YES.

Put Pete and Pete in that shit.
Put the Tomorrow People in there too.
And Hey Dude.
And Salute Your Shorts.

Put all the Golden Age Nicktoons in there, too.

Legends of the Hidden Temple, GUTS, Nick Arcade, Double Dare, What Would You Do, Wild and Crazy Kids - yes please.

If even *one* of these shows doesn't appear on this block, it is half-stepping.

Strike

They really should just either make a dedicated channel to these programs or just release them on dvd already.

Mistle

In Australia, our late night Nickelodeon line up is pretty great too.

Starting at 12am and shown consecutively:
Ren and Stimpy
Angry Beavers
Ahhh Real Monsters
Hey Arnold
Rockos Modern Life
Catdog
then 4 eps of Spongebob

That's pretty damn awesome imo, for a 90's kid like myself.

Mudkips

Banned
In before iputthescrewinthetuna.gif

Never really cared for any of these shows, though I did watch them. I particularly hated Rugrats and Amanda Bynes.

I watched some Pete & Pete a while back. I wanted to slap my younger self.

Needs more Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts.
Ren & Stimpy would be awesome but I doubt they'd have the rights for that.

UK Nick never stopped showing Angry Beavers, I believe. Yeahhhhhhh

Mind you, Cartoon Network constantly reairs old favourites like Dexter, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd and Eddy and Johnny Bravo. On the other hand, they've shit the bed by focusing like a madman on Ben 10, without bringing over Adventure Time/Sym-Bionic Titan/Regular Show. :/ They could perform such a huge steal of Phineas and Ferb's sizable UK viewership with Adventure Time, but nooooooooo

Effect

mYm|17| said:
boooo

what about hey dude, salute your shorts, are you afraid of the dark, ghostwriter!!!!

I'm so there if someone brings that back. Loved that show when I was kid. Even had a teacher that would record them and bring them into class for us to watch them. Don't think anyone in my class at the time wanted to miss a day when it was going to be shown.

TreIII

See, this probably would mean more to me, if it weren't for the fact that Nick already did such things like kill off the Nick G&S network (which not only had its various game shows, but also played things like Salute Your shorts). Now it seems like Nick has finally started to realize the folly of getting rid of their classic line-up, but doing so in such a small time way.

C'mon, Nick. Just give us a "Nick Classic" channel of sorts again. I could go for seeing "Roundhouse" again. :lol

Nymeria88

LastWindow said:
Hopefully it's the pre-Amanda Bynes All That episodes.

Very much agree.

I also would enjoy some Are you Afraid of the Dark. That was my favorite show for years, till the kids changed and I got older...

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
I used to watch Nick at Nite more than regular Nickelodeon programming.

I grew up on repeats of I Love Lucy, Get Smart, The Munsters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, etc etc

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
captmcblack said:
Put the Tomorrow People in there too.

You remember that show? I couldn't remember it's name for the longest time. I just remembered that it was really weird and kids would wake up on a beach with these pipe things.

WillyFive

Ilúvatar said:
Huzzah. I feel bad for the children of today, there is hardly any quality children's programming outside of Spongebob.

The new Spongebob is awful.

All the good stuff is on Cartoon Network, at least until Avatar returns.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Nickelodeon could air nothing but re-runs of 'Welcome Freshman' and still have better ratings than Cartoon Network.

That is true. Cartoon Network is being murdered in ratings.

KingK said:
if only Cartoon Network would do the same...

They made a whole channel for that.

And they air them sometimes during the daytime on Cartoon Network.

Effect

IGotBillySoSpooked said:

I grew up on repeats of I Love Lucy, Get Smart, The Munsters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, etc etc

Same. I think I managed to view all of I Love Lucy before I was 13 thanks to that.

G-Fex

Keenan and kel was after my time, and since I hated all that then I'm sure I wouldn't like that either.

T-Matt

IGotBillySoSpooked said:

I wish they would show those type of shows again too. Even TV land just shows the same type of Roseanne and nanny reruns.
I want some Dragnet.

T-Matt said:
I wish they would show those type of shows again too. Even TV land just shows the same type of Roseanne and nanny reruns.
I want some Dragnet.
sanford and son. and maybe Three stooges. which were good family fun.

Lijik

This news displeases me only because it means I have to see more nostaliga wanking on my dashboard.

Willy105 said:
Why didn't you guys like The Amanda Show?

That was hilarious.
Amanda Show is super hit and miss and veers into being plain obnoxious a lot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Willy105 said:
That is true. Cartoon Network is being murdered in ratings.

The old CEO needs to be rehired and the current guy fired. Fucking ATHF stunt ruined CN.

Mistle said:
In Australia, our late night Nickelodeon line up is pretty great too.

Starting at 12am and shown consecutively:
Ren and Stimpy
Angry Beavers
Ahhh Real Monsters
Hey Arnold
Rockos Modern Life
Catdog
then 4 eps of Spongebob

That's pretty damn awesome imo, for a 90's kid like myself.

I'd actually prefer this to the shows in the op. Ren & Stimpy, Ahhh Real Monsters, Hey Arnold, and Rocko's Modern life are some of my favorite shows of all time.

WillyFive

Trojita said:
The old CEO needs to be rehired and the current guy fired. Fucking ATHF stunt ruined CN.

Was he the one that started doing live-action shows on Cartoon Network?

That was done to get more ratings, but it has done nothing but make CN look like a dumb channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom