• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, GAF!

Well... I decided to create this thread for all the Christians here on the forum. As you guys know, being a Christian here at GAF can be sometimes a little bit hard. There seems to be a predominat atheist population here at the forum. This thread is not created to discuss the existence of God. I respect Atheist-GAF, and I promise, I will never make a bad comment about you guys, and I will never try to convince you about what I believe. And I ask you the same kind of respect, please.

This thread is not created with the intention of discussing the existence of God. There are a lot of threads here at NeoGAF for that. In fact, I will post some links to those threads at the end of this post.

If you guys are posting here is because you believe in God.

I created this thread so we can share testimonies, stories about miracles that happened to you. We can share Bible passages, songs... anything you want!

God bless you, guys!

* Disclaimer: This post is still incomplete. I will update the OP with images, Bible passages, a brief introduction about Christianity, links, etc.

** I created this thread mostly for us Christian-GAF. If some of you guys want to debate about religion, you can go to this thread:

The Official Religion Thread

WillyFive

Also, I hope this thread stays civil and respectful not just about other religions, but other denominations as well.

kinggroin

Banned
Yup, I'm in. Jesus is my hero.

Meus Renaissance said:
How many of Christian-GAF regularly read the Bible?

I'm personally too lazy to do it the old fashion way, so I use the android app to read it out loud to me on the day to work. I'm up to Leviticus now. Furthest I ever got before was halfway through genesis where all of Abraham's sons were named.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Non-judgmental, freedom of choice, freedom of love, freedom of religion, non-douchebag ChristianGAF, checking in!

Thank you, guys.

I really hope this thread can grow into a great thread. I'm sorry if I can't share a lot right now, but I'm currently at my fiancee's house, and we are making dinner.

I just want to share with you guys, that, since three weeks ago, my fiancee started going to the Church with me, and she is enjoying it a lot!

Kraftwerk said:
Well, I shall start with a question or 2 :

Why did Christianity divide into so many denominations ?

Because people interpret things differently.

vitaminwateryum said:
Do we really need a Christian thread if we have a religion Megathread?

By the same token, do we need a hundred "I hate Christians" threads?

I'm Catholic. Quick story time: It's the first Friday (yesterday) of Lent and I went with some friends to Steak n Shake (they were out drinking and needed a ride) and ordered a Frisco Melt, not thinking about the fact that the clock had just rolled past midnight. Ate it and didn't even realize it was past midnight until I got home.

So, a frustrating feeling.

geeko

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into bickering.

Few thoughts on Christianity:

I feel they generally live by good morals, and it is a healthy way to live your life. I just think some people try to push their faith on you. I've only had this happen a couple times in my life but it was a little off-putting. Otherwise I have nothing really bad to say about it.

Uchip

Banned
well we know this thread wont just be people singing about jesus
so ill ask you what do you think of this quote from the hitchhikers guide

"In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."

edit: this IS just about praising jesus? *packs bags*

WillyFive

Kraftwerk said:

659px-ChristianityBranches.svg.png

As Christianity spread and time passed (as early as only a century after Jesus' death), people started to disagree with how it should be practiced. So some churches split apart and created a new church, and then those split, and those split, until you have the many flavors of the religion that you have now.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
When you die, you go to heaven and dance on clouds, because clouds are solid things that people can walk on, and the gates to heaven are like an amusement park, made with baby teeth brought by the tooth fairy.

Soka said:
I'm Catholic. Quick story time: It's the first Friday (yesterday) of Lent and I went with some friends to Steak n Shake (they were out drinking and needed a ride) and ordered a Frisco Melt, not thinking about the fact that the clock had just rolled past midnight. Ate it and didn't even realize it was past midnight until I got home.

So, a frustrating feeling.

Isn't meat ok on Fridays during Lent?
That's what I was taught.

lobdale said:
When you die, you go to heaven and dance on clouds, because clouds are solid things that people can walk on, and the gates to heaven are like an amusement park, made with baby teeth brought by the tooth fairy.

If you're going to troll, at least try to be clever...

kinggroin

Banned
lobdale said:

I want you to draw that. Right now.

WillyFive

lobdale said:

Children's coloring books aren't really canon.

vitaminwateryum said:
I wasn't aware we had hundreds of "I hate Christians" threads.

You should come by the OT sometime.

vitaminwateryum said:
I wasn't aware we had hundreds of "I hate Christians" threads.

At least once a week there's a thread about how 'stupid" Christians are.
So...
Whether that was the intention of the thread or not, it always ends up that way.

Uchip

Banned
AceBandage said:
At least once a week there's a thread about how 'stupid" Christians are.
So...
Whether that was the intention of the thread or not, it always ends up that way.

trolls aside
religion in this time and age does need to be questioned

KJTB

Good luck to you guys, try to keep it civil.

I'm personally an atheist but I can understand why people lean towards religion and practice it.

So here's a question or two:

1) How did you acquire your christian faith? Were you born into christianity or did you "find God" through other means?

2) Other than your faith, how do you cope with the substantial evidence that contradicts both the beliefs and many texts of the bible? To expand on this question, there are quite a few glaring paradoxes that can be found in the bible, namely to creation and even with God's benevolence. When people bring up these paradoxes to you... how do you respond?

WillyFive

Uchip said:
trolls aside

It should be and is questioned every age. But it's still around, isn't it?

It is not only necessary to keep the front door of a Church wide open, it's also necessary to keep the back door just as open as well. What doesn't kill it makes it stronger.

This particular religion has been going straight (well, getting fatter) for two thousand years straight. Seems well made to me.

Uchip said:
trolls aside

In what sense, exactly?
Beliefs have always been questioned. Even people that do believe question their own beliefs.
But, there's a difference between questioning religion and outright saying all Christians are idiots for believing something others don't.

MrsB

Neo Member
I'm not big on posting on here, but this is what I needed. I just restarted my Women's study Bible. Unfortunately I do not go to church (my husband is an atheist and I hate going alone). I am a Southern Baptist.

WillyFive

MrsB said:
I'm not big on posting on here, but this is what I needed. I just restarted my Women's study Bible. Unfortunately I do not go to church (my husband is an atheist and I hate going alone). I am a Southern Baptist.

You could make friends in Church. I doubt you will be alone.

Good luck with this guys. God willing it stays a Christian thread for Christians thing, rather than a 'oh, hey guys there are Christians here, lets poke them with sticks' thread. There is plenty of religious debate on Gaf, hopefully this thread can stay free of it :D

Ezalc

I hope this thread stays civil, but seeing that it's only the first page and there's already trolls...well it's sad. I hope that a mod can come and clean troll posts from time to time. I know that it won't be the last time somebody tries to be "clever" in the thread.

Besides all that more power to you guys, and GAF for once please prove me wrong about how a religion thread turns out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It might be a good idea to have a parallel Christianity debate thread somewhere, just so that you can point people there to exercise their debating urges, and keep this one free for believers to do their thing.

teruterubozu said:
I go to church but don't believe in "God" (typical Catholic). Do I count?

Sure, why not?
As long as the conversation stays civil I don't see a problem.

BocoDragon said:
It might be a good idea to have a parallel Christianity debate thread somewhere, just so that you can point people there to exercise their debating urges, and keep this one free for believers to do their thing.

Plenty of them already exist...

JGS

Banned
I'm probably the worst one to answer these, but I hope any debate actually goes to the offical religion thread. Considering how many different beliefs there are in Christianity, the answers could be different. This is just my personal response.

Dipindots said:
1) How did you acquire your christian faith? Were you born into christianity or did you "find God" through other means?

Both. My parents belonged to a faith. I left while in high school, became somewhat agnostic (Although that's a bit dishonest as I was just listening to what others were telling me). I joined another faith later and have been with it since.

Dipindots said:
2) Other than your faith, how do you cope with the substantial evidence that contradicts both the beliefs and many texts of the bible? To expand on this question, there are quite a few glaring paradoxes that can be found in the bible, namely to creation and even with God's benevolence. When people bring up these paradoxes to you... how do you respond?
There are few if any paradoxes which is why it's pretty easy to cope. There is definitely no "substantial" evidence or else there would be so many worshippers. Christians, contrary to popular belief, like to read, study, research, & some of us even like, respect, & get jobs in history, science, the arts, & teaching. And I guess that's how I respond and allow the person making the accusation to expound. It usually doesn't advance anything to do so though.

sphagnum

Banned
Kraftwerk said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it didn't have a Quran-style, this-is-the-one-thing-right-here-and-there's-nothing-else authority right from the start to be able to keep it in line. It grew out of Judaism, which itself already had a bunch of sects and which still didn't have its own canon down yet. Jesus' own teaching style seemed to emphasize a lot of overthrowing of traditions and was very much about the "feel" of things over strict adherence to specific codes, hence it makes sense that after he's gone his followers end up putting their own spin on things as they end up writing their own gospels/epistles/etc.

Right from the start, you have a split between the Jewish Christians and the Gentile Christians, since they have different ideas about what being a Christian is. And things only got worse later when it got coopted by the Roman Empire, and suddenly theologians were spending forever debating over the most useless things like monotheletism, since the imperial authority felt it needed complete and udder obedience and a unified theology. But all that ever does it cause more splintering.

WillyFive

mclaren777 said:
Wouldn't it have made more sense to use the word Jesus instead of God?

In NeoGAF, there are less people who believe in God than those who don't. So the thread meets the minimum requirement first, and then goes on from there.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
BocoDragon said:
questioning your beliefs?

god forbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom