• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #70 - "Horror"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Theme - "Horror"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Wednesday, 3/23 by 11:59 PM Pacific

Voting begins Thursday, 3/24, and goes until Sunday, 3/27 at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Epistolary

I'm sorry for repeating a secondary objective so soon, but for certain obvious reasons, I thought this would comlement the theme. But if you don't feel like doing another one so soon, by all means ignore.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- YOU MUST VOTE in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ

John Dunbar

correct about everything
There was a lot of talk about horror in the last thread, and I was surprised it hadn't been a theme yet, so here we go. It's also nice and open for interpretation.

Also, sorry again for repeating a secondary objective so soon, but I have like 10 minutes before my class starts and couldn't think of anything good. (I asked for requests, got none :p)

Ashes

Banned
Horrors can be predictable genre-fied pieces JD. Should have been a secondary objective, instead of an overarching theme. But the greater the challenge...

I'll try my best.

Ashes

Banned
creepy image thread for inspiration..

Ps, one of the ideas I'm thinking of might mean that I'll have links to images in my story. Please don't click them if you are not very very brave or are easily offended. It will be a magnitude higher than what you will see in the creepy image thread. Don't feign bravery. These will be images while not disturbing or against the gaf t&c, it will be hard to erase from your memory.

Cyan

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Ps, one of the ideas I'm thinking of might mean that I'll have links to images in my story. Please don't click them if you are not very very brave or are easily offended. It will be a magnitude higher than what you will see in the creepy image thread. Don't feign bravery. These will be images while not disturbing or against the gaf t&c, it will be hard to erase from your memory.
Yeah... don't do this.

AnkitT

Aw shit. Horror is one of my many weak points. I'll probably try something though.

Also, the creepy image thread has made me lose many a night's sleep.

bengraven

FINALLY. >:D

John Dunbar said:
There was a lot of talk about horror in the last thread, and I was surprised it hadn't been a theme yet, so here we go. It's also nice and open for interpretation.

Also, sorry again for repeating a secondary objective so soon, but I have like 10 minutes before my class starts and couldn't think of anything good. (I asked for requests, got none :p)

Don't worry about repeating it. I actually was re-using my objective from a previous challenge a year or so ago. :p

I think it's time for my Lovecraft homage.

bengraven said:
Don't worry about repeating it. I actually was re-using my objective from a previous challenge a year or so ago. :p

I think it's time for my Lovecraft homage.
Yeah, this is a thread about improving after all, and the harder the challenge, the more we improve.

bengraven

Exactly and I really love when our secondary objectives are different writing styles. I really regret not getting in a story for the NeoGAFfian Life challenge, I had a good idea that was completely unconventional for me.

Cyan

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Don't do this story?
Do the story, but please don't link to a bunch of offensive or awful images.

We've always been pretty much "anything goes" as far as subject matter of the challenge entries, but I don't want to extend that to external images as well.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Ashes1396 said:
Horrors can be predictable genre-fied pieces JD. Should have been a secondary objective, instead of an overarching theme. But the greater the challenge...

I'll try my best.

Horror is a very open theme, though. It doesn't have to be monsters and ghosts, the theme isn't "horror story". Hell, just off the top of my head, I bet you could write a pretty scary piece about an earthquake (topical :( ).

Have never written for my own enjoyment, but I think I want to start on this. Maybe I should wait for a different challenge, but nah, I'll try anyway I think.

Puddles

Banned
bengraven has this one on lockdown.

I'm definitely doing this challenge.

Also, ashes, could you pm me those links?

I haven't written any fiction since highschool 10ish years ago but the last time I did was a horrorish story in epistolary manner, I got an A yay me. If I wasn't busy with uni (yeah I'm one of those mature age students) stuff I might have had an attempt at this.

Cyan

Banned
pieatorium said:
I haven't written any fiction since highschool 10ish years ago but the last time I did was a horrorish story in epistolary manner, I got an A yay me. If I wasn't busy with uni (yeah I'm one of those mature age students) stuff I might have had an attempt at this.
Excuses, excuses. We're all busy. :p

ronito

I'm there with Hobbes (happy bday by the way) we're all busy.

As for me I'm in a bit of a dilema I've thrown out my first three ideas and settled on one, and it's a good one. Problem is the secondary challenge kills it entirely. I might have to skip it again. But that'll make it the third time I've done that. I hate to skip it, but I think it will just lack "oomph"

ronito

ZephyrFate said:
kinda disappointed by the theme, but ill submit something anyway but it's probably not gonna be very scary at all
I gave up on "scary" right away.

Scary is hard to do in a small timeframe. You have to get the readers to care about what's going on enough to be afraid and afraid for the character. Then you have to resolve stuff. 2000 words isn't enough for that, at least I'm not clever enough to do that in 2000 words.

well I can do disturbing as seen in a majority of my pieces but the idea i have in mind has almost nothing to do with horror, yet I'm writing it anyway because i can

bengraven

Puddles said:
bengraven has this one on lockdown.

I'm definitely doing this challenge.

Also, ashes, could you pm me those links?

I don't know man, I'm thinking of doing a Lovecraftian story and I'm untested in those waters. I'm a bit nervous, but brainstorming harder than I ever had for a challenge. Even putting my novel to the side to think about it. Appreciate the vote of confidence though.

Irish

Well, John, you're just setting me up to fail here and I could manage that well enough on my own. :p

Seriously though, I have no idea how to even approach this.

bengraven

Wait a minute, I had a horror idea for the first time I made a similar secondary objective, but I had not had the time to write that story...

Irish

Cyan said:
Oh, the horror!

Track & Field trashcan mummy boomboxes, you say? Done.

I honestly have no idea how ronito can just come up with combos similar to that and make them work.

bengraven said:
I know, I saw yours and wanted to ask, "why didn't you submit that a challenge or two ago?" ;)

The last challenge was the first one I had posting privileges during. I was one of those new juniors approved a week and a bit ago. I seem to be a full member now though.

Ashes

Banned
Cyan said:
Do the story, but please don't link to a bunch of offensive or awful images.

We've always been pretty much "anything goes" as far as subject matter of the challenge entries, but I don't want to extend that to external images as well.

Gotcha! They're not offensive or awful in that way. :p

One part of horror is always expectation!

Don't click this link!

But seriously. Don't click this link.

bengraven

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The last challenge was the first one I had posting privileges during. I was one of those new juniors approved a week and a bit ago. I seem to be a full member now though.

Well it's only a secondary objective anyway! You could try your hand at something else.

Ashes1396 said:
Gotcha! They're not offensive or awful in that way. :p

One part of horror is always expectation!

Don't click this link!

I wasn't expecting a 503 error!

bengraven

Oh my god, I just came up with a fantastic story idea. Unfortunately it's not a horror story and doesn't even fit the secondary objective. But that said, hopefully I can get it to work it into the next challenge or the next.

Ashes1396 said:
lol!

Don't visit Bengraven's link!

I wonder if that ever works?

Curiosity my dear Ashes. It killed the cat and keeps GAFfers up all night.

I couldn't resist the combo breaker.

Ashes

Banned
bengraven said:
Oh my god, I just came up with a fantastic story idea. Unfortunately it's not a horror story and doesn't even fit the secondary objective. But that said, hopefully I can get it to work it into the next challenge or the next.

Curiosity my dear Ashes. It killed the cat and keeps GAFfers up all night.

I couldn't resist the combo breaker.

I was gonna do something similar. I mean, It's
one of those things
where you just know,
something is gonna happen.
but when?

[link removed]

Apologies. :(

edit: if you want to know why the above hoax works so well, there is a bbc scientific test, to test your sensitivity. But that entails you having to relive similar experiences. So perhaps don't do the test.
ps. It's pretty much thought to revolve around the fear of disease. There I've told you, now you don't have to click the bbc link.

Tangent

This is gonna be a difficult writing challenge! And, especially difficult to read y'alls stories without peeing in my pants and staying up all night.

bengraven

Ashes1396 said:
I was gonna do something similar. I mean, It's
one of those things
where you just know,
something is gonna happen.
but when?

DON'T CLICK THE FOLLOWING LINK, IF YOU ARE EATING, OF NORMAL STOMACH, AND SANE. FAIR WARNING.

okay, kidding aside, this is pretty gross.

The above link is pretty horrific. So don't scroll down. And if you do, relax, like the article says, it's an internet hoax.

Apologies. :(

edit: if you want to know why the above hoax works so well, there is a bbc scientific test, to test your sensitivity. But that entails you having to relive similar experiences. So perhaps don't do the test.
ps. It's pretty much thought to revolve around the fear of disease. There I've told you, now you don't have to click the bbc link.

Oh man, you're just going to love my story...read it during the daytime maybe... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom