• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings Resort |OT| Slip the surly bonds of Earth

Runq9.jpg

Developer: Monster Games (of Excitebots fame)
Publisher: Nintendo
Official site with trailer: Link to game page on Nintendo.com
Alternate trailer source: YouTube link

Release date info
  • EU: 3/25/11
  • US: 3/27/11
  • AU: 4/14/11
  • JP: 4/14/11

Description

Pilotwings Resort for the 3DS, like previous games in the series, is a arcade flight sim that focuses on being able to complete various objectives using a variety of aircraft. Your missions will ask you to take off, fly through rings, shoot targets, take pictures, and complete other tasks before landing safely at the end. You will be rated on your performance, but you will also have opportunities to fly around the island just for fun.

AiU8j.jpg

Vehicles
  • Hang glider
  • Rocket belt
  • Sea plane
  • Squirrel suit (sky diving)
  • Jet plane
  • Pedal plane (like a hang glider/bike hybrid)
  • Super jetpack

l7uh8.jpg

Modes
  • Mission- complete 40 different challenges and earn medals
  • "Free" flight- explore the island looking for collectibles (3D dioramas), while a 2 minute timer counts down (you can extend your time up to 5 minutes by popping balloons)
  • Practice- get familiar with the various vehicles with no time limit or objectives
Location(s)
  • Wuhu Island

qEBeV.jpg

Additional features
  • Use your Mii as a pilot
  • Take 3D pictures within the game, and save them or send them to friends
Reviews

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The only title I'm absolutely picking up at launch (Steel Diver and Street Fighter will fight it out in my head until I'm in the store). Impressions from those who have played it would be great.. looks like one of the best titles to demonstrate the 3D with.

And thanks for taking the time to make the |OT|

Foffy

Banned
I'm interested in the game, and I hope Pilotwings Resort is able to keep me busy for a while. I'll wait for a few more reviews before I bunker down.

daffy

Banned
Can't think of anything witty to say, but I subscribed anyway!! Great OP!

This isn't quite a must buy for me but I am very interested in hearing impressions from GAF :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Loved the demo, can't wait to get full version.

Do wish there were more maps. I was really hoping for a remake of Little America.

1197bpi.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gunloc said:
Is there an exploration mode that isn't timed?

Yes. You're able to 'practice' with the various flying machines, and explore freely in doing so. There was a Youtube Video posted in one of the other (many) threads showing it off. It kept bugging the player about pressing start to quit out, so hopefully that's not always the case. Haha.

edit: Typos.

Bread

Banned
Pilotwings N64 was one of the most relaxing games I've played, the music was amazing as well. I'll never forget just soaring around in the hang glider to this song. Whenever I get my 3DS, I'll be sure to pick this up.

EvilMario said:
Yes. You're able to 'practice' with the various flying machines, and explore freely in doing so. There was a Youtube Video posted in one of the other (many) threads showing it off. It kept bugging the player about pressing street to quit out, so hopefully that's not always the case. Haha.
I see, thanks. One of my things to do in Pilotwings 64 was to put on the Rocket Belt and just fly around at night.

I'm a bit sad to see all the original Pilotwings characters dumped entirely for Miis, it would have been nice to have both.

inner-G

Banned
EvilMario said:
No multiplayer for Bust-A-Move? No sale.
I don't really care about MP, hell wi-fi will prob be off for the battery anyway.

I love puzzle bobble/bust-a-move though. I used to play it in the arcade back in the day. In trailers, the 3D effect looks really cool too.

Vanille

Looks extremely underwhelming, but I'll still be picking it up due to the lack of anything else of interest to buy.

Bread said:
Pilotwings N64 was one of the most relaxing games I've played, the music was amazing as well. I'll never forget just soaring around in the hang glider to this song. Whenever I get my 3DS, I'll be sure to pick this up.

Oh gawd. :'( Haven't heard that since 1996. Actually, I've never viewed any music/video since then. Now is the time!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bread said:

So good. I had a Nintendo 64 and Super Mario 64. And my friend bought one with Pilotwings only. Long after my 120 stars were collected in Mario, Pilotwings was still great to just aimless fly around.

I preordered this at GameStop a few weeks ago but now I'm not entirely sure I want it. I mean does it have a lot of content or what?

I am also boggled by Steel Diver, but I'll save that for the OT whenever someone decides to make it.

Those screenshots look really nice though...so maybe I will just go ahead and pick it up. Could always sell it if I don't like it in the BST thread here.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MidnightScott said:
I preordered this at GameStop a few weeks ago but now I'm not entirely sure I want it. I mean does it have a lot of content or what?

I am also boggled by Steel Diver, but I'll save that for the OT whenever someone decides to make it.

Those screenshots look really nice though...so maybe I will just go ahead and pick it up. Could always sell it if I don't like it in the BST thread here.

Both Pilotwings and Steel Diver have been reported to be quite short. For actual content on both, you might be looking at 3-5 hours each. Steel Diver obviously has some multiplayer / puzzle elements that may keep bringing you back, and Pilotwings would be more about beating times. I believe Pilotwings looks like the best demo piece as well for showing the system off.. and will hopefully have the 64's appeal of 'just flying around is relaxing..'

Maybe someone who's played can comment though..

Teknoman

MidnightScott said:

Its probably a decent amount to just perfect everything, unlock whatever hidden events, and mess around in free flight. But after you beat everything, its probably just messing around.

Think of it like Crazy Taxi.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
It's been way too long since the last one, so I have this pre-ordered along with my 3DS on Amazon.

I wonder if there might be additional locations and vehicles available as DLC?

SexyNerd said:
It's been way too long since the last one, so I have this pre-ordered along with my 3DS on Amazon.

I wonder if there might be additional locations and vehicles available as DLC?

This is Nintendo we are talking about. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
MidnightScott said:

To be fair, maybe there will be challenges and events like we had for Mario Kart Wii. Anyone remember those?
Doubtful though.

Screw it I'll just buy it, and if I don't like it I'll sell it. I'm sure someone would give me at least $35 for it anyway lol. Hope it turns out well because I hate selling games...

Ketch

Playing this demo made me pre-order the 3DS.

MidnightScott said:

Hopefully, they'll evolve their online strategy with the new hand-held generation.... maybe... hopefully...
doubt it

Edit: Get out of my brain mario.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It would be so cool if Nintendo added locations, but no way in hell are they going to do that.

I'm buying it, but I'm sure it will get old fast.

zalemale

Was really looking forward to this, but two things that have recently stifled my interest a bit:

1.)only one location
Can't help but get the feeling of "been there, done that" with Wuhu island.

2.) Timed free flight
c'mon...really?! Shouldn't it be called something else than "free" flight? Can't help but feel pressured with a timer added on to what should be a relaxing, exploration focused mode (ala birdman man mode from the 64 incarnation).

At least the sound / music seems to be in the same vein as its predecessor. May still check it out.

Teknoman

Well no one expected Mario Kart Wii boss battles, so we'll see. Besides they havent mentioned the Squirrel skydiving suit in any reviews except for that one talking about volcano diving.

I was under the impression that it was out in Japan already, but I guess not.

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
But, isn't Nintendo's motto for SpotPass something like, "something new everyday"?

Of course, I guess we can take that with a grain of salt considering they had similar plans for WiiConnect24.

Top Bottom